Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

DivX

combined community codec pack (CCCP) (LoL!!!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
i think it's cool that ogg speex became a decently-used thing for awhile

unlike every other ogg-container codec

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
ogg vorbis gets a lot of legitimate use

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Silver Alicorn posted:

spotify is 320 kbps ogg vorbis to this day afaik.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think youtube uses ogg opus on some platforms so that's probably like a 10th of internet traffic right there.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Valleywag

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
ogg bepis

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

comin' in your ears!

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

DivX

combined community codec pack (CCCP) (LoL!!!)

;-)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

what is jerry cotton's preferred codec

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

what is jerry cotton's preferred codec

Yeah but that's not Xiph Ogg, that's Gytha Ogg.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Ogg Pepis

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ogg beanus

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
ogg chungus

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

pyf

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Silver Alicorn posted:

people don’t realize just how much large game audio was ogg vorbis

not really any more but it was a big deal for a while because unlike every other reasonable video and audio codec you could just use it

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Oh I thought games used S3M :mmmhmm:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Oh I thought games used S3M :mmmhmm:

Unreal Tournament 99 did

or .xm och .it or something like that

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
ogg readmore

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

rounded IDE cables to improve airflow

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Progressive JPEG posted:

lmao

plus they just made cabling less of a pain in the rear end for the few years they were in vogue before sata became widespread

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Sata felt like such a massive leap just because of getting rid of those old rear end ribbon cables.

i remember buying a 3rd party zalman heatsink.... For the northbridge chip on the mobo because of how loud the lovely fan on it was

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

just remembered i contributed like 50 BFIs to the SiN Graƒix icon pack 1999-2001 & they kept them for years. i was pretty proud of that lol

hotline user icons were client-side & you just chose one in the client from the settings, but there was also a debug menu where you could set your icon to an arbitrary resource id, which you could supply via a rsrc file in the app folder. everyone who used the same icon pack would see your sweet icon, everyone would just see your username without an icon. i remember SiN had a popular icon pack.

anyway, they were normally standard 16x16 icns resources shown to the left of your username, but someone figured out that since theyre centered, you could make them super wide (iirc 218 px) with the left side transparent & that way you'd get a background under your username. those were called Big loving Icons, very badass

i made a bunch based on tracks from selected ambient works II, a book of lenin portraits that my dad has, and ofc an edgy personal icon

unfortunately, ive lost those icon packs since and theyre super hard to find so pls contant if u have them

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

pretty sure i did some careful cutting of ribbon cables to make my own ‘rounded’ cables with zip ties

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

raid-0 boot drives
doing that thing where you only write to some part of a disk because the rotational velocity there gives you better seeks or throughput or something

i had a 36gb raptor 10,000 rpm as my boot volume and my frames were hella high :pcgaming:

i used to be mildly obsessed with I/O performance as i saw at as a massive failing in pc architecture. but then SSDs came and i was sated

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Gentle Autist posted:

pretty sure i did some careful cutting of ribbon cables to make my own ‘rounded’ cables with zip ties

a roommate of mine did this

i bought some rounded ones instead because they were ata 133, never mind that my drives and board were only ata 100 i was planning for the future

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Gentle Autist posted:

doing that thing where you only write to some part of a disk because the rotational velocity there gives you better seeks or throughput or something

short stroking

dick joke goes here, turn off your monitor

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Gentle Autist posted:

sector interleave

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Sata felt like such a massive leap just because of getting rid of those old rear end ribbon cables.

going from rounded (yes i x-acto-knifed my own flat cables to rounded ones FOR AIRFLOW) ide to sata cables wasn't nearly as jarring as my latest build, which is where i put two one-terabyte disks the size of sticks of gum, that can move 5,000 megabytes per second in to magic slots and hit the power switch and turned it on.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
what kind of sicko measures data transfer rate in bytes?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my pcie 4.0 ssds can move over fifty gigabits a second there u go

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

bits arent bytes!!!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Gentle Autist posted:

but then SSDs came and i was sated

itym SATA'd

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

going from rounded (yes i x-acto-knifed my own flat cables to rounded ones FOR AIRFLOW) ide to sata cables wasn't nearly as jarring as my latest build, which is where i put two one-terabyte disks the size of sticks of gum, that can move 5,000 megabytes per second in to magic slots and hit the power switch and turned it on.

I actually kind of didn't believe nvme was real when I first saw it

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i had only seen nvmes in pictures and thought they were like the size of a candy bar. i knew that they used pci so assumed they stuck upright in a pci slot, 4 inches long or something. i in fact couldn't find the nvme slots on my motherboard for a couple of minutes because they were covered with heat sinks and i wasn't expecting them to be so small.

poo poo is crazy