Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

LLSix posted:

That's the game first released in 2000, not a new one, right?

Correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010

LLSix posted:

That's the game first released in 2000, not a new one, right?

The new one? Are you talking about upcoming Pharaoh remake Pharaoh New Era? Or am I missing some recent citybuilder release?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Banemaster posted:

The new one? Are you talking about upcoming Pharaoh remake Pharaoh New Era? Or am I missing some recent citybuilder release?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1157220/Nebuchadnezzar/ this just released, a pharaoh clone. Seems to be solidly 'meh', but most reviewers are veterans of the genre so ymmv.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Welcome to the thread

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
There's also the builders of series of games, with builders of Egypt being due relatively soon I think?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Samopsa posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1157220/Nebuchadnezzar/ this just released, a pharaoh clone. Seems to be solidly 'meh', but most reviewers are veterans of the genre so ymmv.

As someone who isn't a vet of the genre but bought it anyways, it's pretty basic. The campaign is a bit dull because everything is level locked, so your goal is to reach the arbitrary objective goal and then immediately bail out. Plus some of the objectives are a bit dumb, like in an early level where you have to have a certain stock of grain in a warehouse so you have to actually stop making bread to build it up.

It's probably a lot better in free build mode.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i watched shenryrr play it the last few days and it seems like the only interesting part is the temples and palaces, the rest is rather dull

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I bought Tropico 6 the other day and have been having a hard time getting into it despite being a huge fan of the series in general. I played it before somehow, maybe a free weekend or something, but only for a couple hours so I decided to start a new island. I think I just maybe need to turn the pirates off because I hate the "combat" stuff in Tropico games which up to now has just been building forts and defense towers to quell uprisings, but like 15 minutes into my game before I could even build a pirate cove to defend myself I'm getting attacked by pirates. I also find the build menu to be way clunkier than previous games' but it might just be that I haven't played a Tropico game in a while so maybe I'm just not used to it.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
It seems like the "new feature" it is organized around is building custom wonders. I haven't seen how in depth that system is, but if you aren't interested in that facet it's not an upgrade over the classic impressions games.

I've seen people say it's dull, because it doesn't differ too significantly from it's source games, but have these people reviewed the source games again? If playing Pharaoh in TYOOL 2021 is kind of dull, is it fair to say that Neb would also suffer from that dullness?

Idk I'm still gonna get it and report back but my inclination is to assume reviewers are poopooing the game without comparing it to playing it's predecessors today

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

honestly id snag neb if it had a free build mode but since it doesnt its a hard pass. Have the devs said if theyre going to add one or not?

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

The devs said yesterday that free build is the next thing they are working on.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
The thing that put me off is apparently there's no real life to the city, no sounds, very few walkers, just sterile rows of buildings.

Impressions where immersive as hell back in the day, and I'm sure part of that was my naivete, but they were also full of charm to help it along.

Plus this is 20 years later, you're supposed to build upon the game you are inspired by, not make an almost as good copy.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

explosivo posted:

I bought Tropico 6 the other day and have been having a hard time getting into it despite being a huge fan of the series in general. I played it before somehow, maybe a free weekend or something, but only for a couple hours so I decided to start a new island. I think I just maybe need to turn the pirates off because I hate the "combat" stuff in Tropico games which up to now has just been building forts and defense towers to quell uprisings, but like 15 minutes into my game before I could even build a pirate cove to defend myself I'm getting attacked by pirates. I also find the build menu to be way clunkier than previous games' but it might just be that I haven't played a Tropico game in a while so maybe I'm just not used to it.

Pirate cove isn't for defense, it is for offense. A single fort will handle default or less pirates. But yeah I turn the pirates off or start at $100k to build all that supporting infrastructure.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

KirbyKhan posted:

Pirate cove isn't for defense, it is for offense. A single fort will handle default or less pirates. But yeah I turn the pirates off or start at $100k to build all that supporting infrastructure.

Cool, glad it's not just me. Gonna restart tonight with that stuff off.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
The problem with Neb that I have heard is that there’s no tension. No crime, no fires, no falling buildings. The impressions games have these issues which provide something of a challenge. And that’s why I didn’t buy it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I finished the first adventure in Zeus (Zeus and Europa, the stuff with founding thebes and cydonia and fighting the maenads and stopping some usurpers who wanna take over)

I did so on beginner because hell if I'm ever gonna play on any difficulty higher than that. Now it is time to watch someone who is actually good at the game run through the same scenario on the highest difficulty :P

Also concerning Neb, here are some posts from the steam forum about why people are concerned with it and a few responses from one of the devs

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
Tentative release date for update 4 of the Satisfactory experimental branch is 9th or 16th of march. As if I didn't have enough management games to play right now.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
My wife is in labor right now. She's hooked up to a contraction monitor and a baby heart rate monitor. If the baby's heart rate goes below 138 I tell my wife to breath and if it goes to 170 I turn down our music and suggest we get less hype.

Birthing a human being is a management game.

Edit: The original factorio I guess. Hours of staring at the power graph in factorio really prepared me monitoring contractions. It is so dumb, the nurse was legit impressed.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Another Early-Access factory game has hit the Steam store!

I present to you Learning Factory or as I call it: CAT-TORIO!

It's a cat themed Factorio where the crafting resources and goals are things like "balls of yarn" and "Cat food!"

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

KirbyKhan posted:

My wife is in labor right now. She's hooked up to a contraction monitor and a baby heart rate monitor. If the baby's heart rate goes below 138 I tell my wife to breath and if it goes to 170 I turn down our music and suggest we get less hype.

Birthing a human being is a management game.

Edit: The original factorio I guess. Hours of staring at the power graph in factorio really prepared me monitoring contractions. It is so dumb, the nurse was legit impressed.

babies are unbalanced, wait for a post-release patch

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I have the patience to see an early release all the way to launch and post launch support.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
Is this a bad time to tell you I contributed to the kickstarter...

*edit terrible joke congratulations hope all goes well for you and your family :D *

Grevlek fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 21, 2021

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Really the worst part of the baby management game is the loads of DLC you suddenly find out you need to get.

(Congrats KirbyKhan and spouse)

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

skeleton warrior posted:

Really the worst part of the baby management game is the loads of DLC you suddenly find out you need to get.

(Congrats KirbyKhan and spouse)

I've been a nanny for some whales. Parenthood may seem pay to win, but none of it matters if you don't personally poop sock some hours and do the daily quests your character growth will suffer.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

KirbyKhan posted:

I've been a nanny for some whales. Parenthood may seem pay to win, but none of it matters if you don't personally poop sock some hours and do the daily quests your character growth will suffer.

Congrats and good luck! Don't waste time taking to us.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

PerniciousKnid posted:

Congrats and good luck! Don't waste time taking to us.

Yo labor inducement goes from 24 to 36 hours. These first hours are hella boring and we took like 4 naps.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I played some Tastemaker, the restaurant management sim, and it's pretty good! It also seems extremely limited right now.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Finding myself slipping into shapez.io inbetween working on my dwarfhold in hammerting. Really soothing to have literally no pressure or constraints so I can just slap down whatever and just go, then tear it all up with no cost.

And congrats on manufacturing your own little pink blob, KirbyKhan!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Gratz Kirby!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

babies are unbalanced, wait for a post-release patch

The 4 month sleep update really screws with your saves and resets a hell of a lot of progress.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

KirbyKhan posted:

Thanks for this, I restarted with the pirate attacks off and yeah I'm in again. Any of the DLC worth checking out?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

explosivo posted:

Thanks for this, I restarted with the pirate attacks off and yeah I'm in again. Any of the DLC worth checking out?

Only one I bought so far is Spitter, and that's good mechanically if you want to lean in on tourism. Map is what you're really paying for, the sculpted islands really outshine the randoms, and this map outshines all the sculpted maps.

Llama of Wallstreet gives you a reason to use warehouses and gives you a mechanism to gamble and tilt the odds with trade.

Dunno bout the others.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Management game joke!

Congratulations Kirby and Mrs. Kirby!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Sorry for the kinda generic whine, but I pulled the trigger on the beta due to excitement and man, Spacebase Startopia sucks. I love the original, but 1/4th of the time I don't know what I'm doing and 3/4ths of the time the AI on your citizens just doesn't do anything.

Like, if you're on a space station, you're going to talk to one of the places to take a shower, right? Well, in this game, you're going to walk right past one of the places to take a shower to get to the other place that , and the guy running the place is going to see a little icon that boils down to "I need a shower"... unless he sees like a thousand little "I need ~this~ that is about two minutes away from me so I need ~this~!" icons floating around.

It's pretty as hell, but it's such a letdown as a major fan of the original. The worst thing is, I'm in this feedback loop of quitting because "eh, I'm just not having fun", but then a few minutes later really wanting to play it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kvlt! posted:

I didn't really do any research beforehand a friend raved about it to me and it was on sale. Lesson learned. I did have some fun with it, it's def really cool but once it clicked "the fun is watching your colony die in crazy ways" I bounced off it hard bc spending a lot of time on a colony only to have it be destroyed is a possibility in any management game, but to me its not fun when that happens it means I lost the game not won it.

It absolutely does not have to be like that, you can and should play with the difficulty to find something that suits you.

Also I would suggest that the depth of simulation in rimworld is actually complex enough that it wraps back around to being kind of simple because you can engage with it conceptually rather than mechanically.

So like, people like the things they like in real life, clean, warm, spacious rooms, well lit, well decorated, lots of recreation time and variety, good food, not having horrible things happen to them. And they are very holistic about how they experience their environment, like it's literally the sum of the time they spend in places in your base.

So your goal becomes basically building a system that facilitates their security and comfort, which you primarily do by modifying the game world to give them shelter, beauty, productive capacity, and protection from attack.

I would describe it as an environment builder game, because that's what you ultimately are doing, taking a generated environment and making it maximally amenable to colonist survival and wellbeing, as defined by resiliance to a wide range of threats.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Feb 21, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

KirbyKhan posted:

Only one I bought so far is Spitter, and that's good mechanically if you want to lean in on tourism. Map is what you're really paying for, the sculpted islands really outshine the randoms, and this map outshines all the sculpted maps.

Eh nothing's really jumping out at me so probably just going to leave it vanilla. Thanks for the info though. One thing that bugs me about this game though is I can't seem to find any way that shows a graph of all items produced/consumed. There's the export profits panel of the income recap page which kind of does what I'm looking for but I just want an easily digestible graph of produced/consumed products and I think the only way to get that is by clicking the buildings individually.

Found Sound
Jun 8, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

Sorry for the kinda generic whine, but I pulled the trigger on the beta due to excitement and man, Spacebase Startopia sucks. I love the original, but 1/4th of the time I don't know what I'm doing and 3/4ths of the time the AI on your citizens just doesn't do anything.

Like, if you're on a space station, you're going to talk to one of the places to take a shower, right? Well, in this game, you're going to walk right past one of the places to take a shower to get to the other place that , and the guy running the place is going to see a little icon that boils down to "I need a shower"... unless he sees like a thousand little "I need ~this~ that is about two minutes away from me so I need ~this~!" icons floating around.

It's pretty as hell, but it's such a letdown as a major fan of the original. The worst thing is, I'm in this feedback loop of quitting because "eh, I'm just not having fun", but then a few minutes later really wanting to play it.

that's a bummer. startopia's one of my favorite bullfrog-alikes and i was really hoping they wouldn't gently caress it up. :sigh:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Found Sound posted:

that's a bummer. startopia's one of my favorite bullfrog-alikes and i was really hoping they wouldn't gently caress it up. :sigh:

Yeah, imagine my annoyance when I'm faced with a new loving Startopia and I'm not enjoying it. Startopia is the game where its only detraction in its open-world sandbox mode is that, even set at the hardest setting, I can create the financial singularity and have to build money-storing buildings over and over. I know the game, why is it annoying me?

Like, I'm not sure if this belongs in the dragging-down thread, but each citizen in the game has like eight major needs. Are these color coded? A visual way of looking at the gameplay and going "wow a lot of people need drinks!"? loving no. A sea of orange icons that are literally "I am having an issue with my needs and I am upset, please focus on me" for what amounts to hundreds of little dudes.

That said, I think a decent amount of my complaints or general vibe will go away when the full game comes out, honestly. It seems to share the original's "Every single-player mission is a tutorial for a major game mechanic" style, but when the demo only lets you do a handful of missions (understandably so), a whole hell of a lot of gaps in my knowledge are being exposed. On the other hand, I know Startopia like the back of my hand, so by rights I should know these things, but I clearly don't.

(like oh my god I no longer have to make two of something - one because I need it, one because it's research for the Next Thing hip hip loving hooray)

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 21, 2021

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.

Mayveena posted:

The problem with Neb that I have heard is that there’s no tension. No crime, no fires, no falling buildings. The impressions games have these issues which provide something of a challenge. And that’s why I didn’t buy it.

To be fair, the impressions games don't really have this either once you learn to build your housing in loops of the correct number of tiles. I'm 3 hours in but so far I think Nebuchadnezzar is a definite upgrade on Zeus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
As pumped as I was for an Impressions resurgence the chatter around Nebuchadnezzar is reminding me they kind of went extinct for a reason and what I really want is Anno with temples or to be 12 years old again and playing Zeus.