Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How is Persona Q2? I clearly love Persona and I also love Etrian Odyssey, but Q1 kinda lost me halfway through. I've heard Q2 is better, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

anakha posted:

This started playing in my head as soon as i opened this thread.

At the Hollow Forest dungeon now in P4G and hoo boy, the mechanics make this an absolute slog.
I completed HF once and I don’t think I’ll ever have any particularly pressing urge to do it again.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Solaris 2.0 posted:

As I mention in the previous thread but what’s the best advice for fighting Shido ?

I have been using Melchizedek but also have Ananta.
Now I was a moron and didn’t Max out many of my confidants and don’t really have access to other Personas atm as I’m only level 60.

I nearly had Shido beat earlier, but I didn’t guard during his last form and he insta-killed me when he charged up. Still, just getting to that point was a 20-30min grind. So the insta-kill was really deflating.

Did you max out the Strength confidant? If so, Abaddon is super helpful in the fight for debuffing the boss and dealing damage. If you haven't maxed Strength, it takes no in-game time and as long as you have the money to do some fusion you can do it all at once. Debilitate makes a huge difference.

IIRC he uses a lot of physical attacks early that you can reflect with Tetrakarn and then magical attacks later that you can reflect with Makarakarn.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Hey I have a question:

Did royal fix a lot of the translation weirdness in P5? I'll planning to play it when (if) it comes out on pc. I remember P5's script had a lot of awkwardness and bad translations, especially early on. This is in contrast to most of the atlus translations, which I feel were done well. Even playing strikers right now, I'm at the beginning but it seems a lot more smooth than base P5 was, at least according to my memory.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mirello posted:

Hey I have a question:

Did royal fix a lot of the translation weirdness in P5? I'll planning to play it when (if) it comes out on pc. I remember P5's script had a lot of awkwardness and bad translations, especially early on. This is in contrast to most of the atlus translations, which I feel were done well. Even playing strikers right now, I'm at the beginning but it seems a lot more smooth than base P5 was, at least according to my memory.

It fixed some of the most blatant clunker lines but it still has its stumbles and a good number of lines that are fairly stilted. It's noticeably improved but not 100% fixed.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

And also Marie is Best Girl.

StupidIhateyoublockhead!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I have no strong feelings about Marie one way or the other, but I respect people who do.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hot take:

Marie... is okay I guess

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Merchandising! Merchandising! Where the real Persona money is made.

Persona the fighting game, Persona the dancing game, Persona the dungeon crawling cross-over.

Can't get enough of Kanji or Mitsuru? Don't worry - all of your Persona Pals are back in spin-off form.

Persona 4 Arena - PS3, X360 (2012)
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax - PS3, X360 (2014)

The cast of Persona 3 and 4 are back and ready to fight. This spin-off fighting game, created by Arc System Works, has you pitting your favorite Persona characters against each other in a quite lenghty story-mode for a fighting game. Also there's some new characters that never really caught on. A worthy diversion if you're into the combination of Persona and fighting games. You can opt for Ultimax which includes the original game story + the sequel campaign with additionlal features.

Persona 4 Dancing All Night - PS Vita (2015), PS4 (2018)
Persona 5 Dancing in Starlight - PS Vita, PS4 (2018)
Persona 3: Dancing in Moonlight - PS Vita, PS4 (2018)

Do you like the Persona soundtrack? Do you like rhythm games? Would you still like the Persona soundtrack if it were remixed into various musical styles as you press buttons to the beat? Well, do I have a musical trilogy of rhythm games for you. Originally started under Persona 4 Dancing (possibly a canonical sequel to Persona 4 Golden) - this is a chance for the Persona casts to get funky. Fan-service in the best sense of the word if you want some more time with your favorite characters and a toe-tapping experience.

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth - 3DS (2014)
Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth - 3DS (2018/2019)

The cross-over event that only existed in your FanFiction.Net dreams. Will Chie pet Koromaru? Will Ken and Yosuke get along? Find out in the portable RPG experience that brings the Persona 3 and 4 cast together in an Etyrian Odyssey type dungeon crawler RPG. The recent sequel throws the Persona 5 crew in the mix along with the female protagonist from Persona 3 Portable.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I'm personally on Team Yukiko for P4G. Chie's the plucky girl best friend, Rise's constant 'Senpai!' got grating, and Marie's too weird.

The other options are eh, but special mention to Ayane as a huge HELL NO.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Beat me to the spinoffs, I'll add that to the OP later, thanks!

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

anakha posted:

I'm personally on Team Yukiko for P4G. Chie's the plucky girl best friend, Rise's constant 'Senpai!' got grating, and Marie's too weird.

The other options are eh, but special mention to Ayane as a huge HELL NO.

Naoto is pretty good.

Even if that arc is...poorly handled.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I dated Chie my first time, told myself I’d date someone else my second time, then dated Chie again anyways. Years later, my first time on Golden PC, I dated Rise. She’s much less grating when she’s not flirting with someone who’s already in a relationship.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Jen X posted:

Naoto is pretty good.

Even if that arc is...poorly handled.

She just comes in way too late to be a factor and the arc is rushed as a result.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

anakha posted:

She just comes in way too late to be a factor and the arc is rushed as a result.

Haru :smith:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I'm hoping that Haru gets some good moments in Strikers, once I get my hands on it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Harrow posted:

How is Persona Q2? I clearly love Persona and I also love Etrian Odyssey, but Q1 kinda lost me halfway through. I've heard Q2 is better, though?

You made the right choice on dropping Q, I somehow managed to beat it despite it being one of the most tedious, braindead, unfun slogs imaginable. The combat system is broken, the dungeons bad, the story is not interesting when they even bother having any, they boil down everyone's character so much that they become walking catchphrases.

That game and Pillars of Eternity are the only two games that I can say I completely regret playing, no fun was had and nothing was learned. I enjoyed Persona 1 more than Q, it's just awful.

Edit: Ai is the best girlfriend in P4, she's like every woman I've ever dated in real life. The Drama girl and The music girl are the worst.

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 21, 2021

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I would not want to hurt my best friend Kanji's feelings by choosing Naoto.

Also the end of that social link is not great.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Naoto's romance is so bad

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I just wanna know why in all the years I've heard people talk about Naoto nobody brings up her battle voice-acting.

"Somebody finish this one off!"

How many times can a voice crack or warble in one line? It has to have been intentional and it's just so jarring since her voice-acting is consistently reserved and stoic outside of battle. It's endearing but, again, so incredibly jarring and different.

anakha Team Yukiko is very good, she was who I romanced in my latest run and I almost romanced her in my first before choosing Marie. They're both top tier.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Alacron posted:

I'm hoping that Haru gets some good moments in Strikers, once I get my hands on it.

She gets a few, like an early game moment that doesn't really spoil anything, but I will just to be safe.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Alacron posted:

She definitely does.

bobjr posted:

She gets a few, like an early game moment that doesn't really spoil anything, but I will just to be safe.

Haru "gently caress tha Police" Okumura

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Nice OP, and glad to see a Persona thread separated from the main SMT thread since it was usually just 90% the same conversations about Persona 3-5 repeating over there.
I would just maybe clarify better in the section about Persona 1 that the later PSP release restored the Snow Queen quest and removed the weird Americanized localization.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

bobjr posted:

It is funny when the officer in question complains and all I can think is that he is lucky she is not threatening him with an axe.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Mirello posted:

Hey I have a question:

Hmm... could this be the rumored cat?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Item Getter posted:

Nice OP, and glad to see a Persona thread separated from the main SMT thread since it was usually just 90% the same conversations about Persona 3-5 repeating over there.
I would just maybe clarify better in the section about Persona 1 that the later PSP release restored the Snow Queen quest and removed the weird Americanized localization.

Good catch, I forgot to mention that. Done.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Speaking of localization, P4G's English voice acting seems indicative of the era when the game was released.

Most of the investigator crew's English voices sound too old for the characters they're dubbing. I ended up switching to the Japanese dub after getting called Senpai in Rise's 'way too husky voice for a 15-year old' for the umpteenth time.

Playing FF7R last year really brought home for me how far the English voice acting for jRPGs has come since.

E: VV Goddammit, I've got more RPGs in my backlog I gotta finish first! Thank gently caress P5R was 50% off last month though, so it's ready to go once I've cleared my backlog out.

anakha fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 21, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

As questionable as the translation is for P5, the dub is fantastic and the cast work really hard to make it work. Special shout out to Max Mittelman as Ryuji, just a perfect performance. (Speaking of FF7R, he plays Red XIII and similarly nails it.)

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lunar detritus posted:

At least in P4 and P5 it's pretty important to at least try and max out your party members, they get some great combat benefits.

It's not particularly hard or stressful in P5 if you max star and just double all your gains, too. :v:

Spiffster posted:

I did it in 3 but hoooo boy did I cut it close. I was convinced I was gonna miss it. Compared to Royal when I messed up and didn’t max out temperance before a certain point and was locked out of advancing them for a bit due to story and school related stuff. Thought that was gonna Kill my max run but I ended up spending the last months just killing time at the shrine and club.

The killer for 3 is that a bunch of them are time limited, you have tons more free time than in 4 and 5 because they apparently expected you to take weeks to climb tartarus.

Harrow posted:

As questionable as the translation is for P5, the dub is fantastic and the cast work really hard to make it work. Special shout out to Max Mittelman as Ryuji, just a perfect performance. (Speaking of FF7R, he plays Red XIII and similarly nails it.)

I think 5 was mostly fine translation wise tbh, there were some rough parts but it wasn't hard to understand or awkward for half the game or anything.

e: oh royal improved stuff? idk then I havent played the original in awhile or more than once.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 21, 2021

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Harrow posted:

Did you max out the Strength confidant? If so, Abaddon is super helpful in the fight for debuffing the boss and dealing damage. If you haven't maxed Strength, it takes no in-game time and as long as you have the money to do some fusion you can do it all at once. Debilitate makes a huge difference.

IIRC he uses a lot of physical attacks early that you can reflect with Tetrakarn and then magical attacks later that you can reflect with Makarakarn.

Yea Reddit said the same thing, but I...have been lax on maxing out confidants.

Anyway I beat him by having Morgana and Makoto focus on healing and then laying into him with me and Ryuji. I made *sure* to pay close attention to when he was amping up for a big attack and guard when needed. Even then, it was close at times!

Anyway Palace finished and now comes my favorite part - free time to do whatever I want! Gonna focus on maxing out as many of my Confidants as I can since it’s late November and the end game is clearly coming...

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Gaius Marius posted:

You made the right choice on dropping Q, I somehow managed to beat it despite it being one of the most tedious, braindead, unfun slogs imaginable. The combat system is broken, the dungeons bad, the story is not interesting when they even bother having any, they boil down everyone's character so much that they become walking catchphrases.

That game and Pillars of Eternity are the only two games that I can say I completely regret playing, no fun was had and nothing was learned. I enjoyed Persona 1 more than Q, it's just awful.

Outside of the general blandness of the game and the tedium of carrying around a clown car of 20 Persona characters (who have all been reduced to 1-note characters) that have to stop and comment on everything every 5 steps you took, one of the big issues I had with PQ was the skill system.

They basically just dumped 90% of the skills from Etrian Odyssey IV into the game and just changed their names. But the skills in EO are always designed to work together in a skill tree of 24-ish skills that all slightly complement the main role of a given character class. Like for instance the Arcanist skills in EO4, which all revolve around using status ailment-causing circles and have a ton of support skills in the tree that let the circle gradually heal your party while they are up, let you dismiss them for heal/damage, or increase their effectiveness in causing status effects. They were all designed to go together and be easily combined, but lose most of their point when divided 1-2 each across dozens of Personas, who have to be fused together in a deliberately obtuse system to add them, and can only hold like 6 skills each. It just feels like they threw all the EO4 skills into the Persona system without giving any thought about how they are used. I'd be curious if PQ2 did anything about this specifically.

The chests that open on 100% floor map completion were also a pretty poorly conceived mechanic, since unless you spend Play Coins, you have to step on every single damage tile on the floor in order to open them.

I didn't make it far enough to see it outside of YouTube, but it's also pretty funny to me that what's presented as the big Etrian Odyssey crossover boss/persona (Zeus) is something that never appears or is mentioned at all in the Etrian Odyssey series. It was fine that they got the regular EO staff to do his design and music but funny that he claims to come from the EO world or something and you get a message saying "Perhaps you too should consider exploring this Yggdrasil Labyrinth some day!" or something like that after fighting a boss which has nothing to do with any of those games.

The best thing about the game was the music, though that's consistently good in every modern Persona game.

P5S is the only Persona spinoff I've liked, since it's a pretty straightforward sequel to P5 instead of a contrived fanfiction-y plot to bring characters from different Persona games together to explore a dungeon or have a big fighting tournament or a dancing competition. Actually I never played the fighting or dancing games but really have no interest in them.

Gaius Marius posted:

Edit: Ai is the best girlfriend in P4, she's like every woman I've ever dated in real life. The Drama girl and The music girl are the worst.

Does she get a lot better after the early parts of her social link or something? Having not seen past the early parts I've always been puzzled when people say they like her, since she just comes across as being spoiled.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
strikers is not a typical musou game, very cool sequel to p5

can i play p5r on anything but my playstation 4?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Yea Reddit said the same thing, but I...have been lax on maxing out confidants.

Anyway I beat him by having Morgana and Makoto focus on healing and then laying into him with me and Ryuji. I made *sure* to pay close attention to when he was amping up for a big attack and guard when needed. Even then, it was close at times!

Anyway Palace finished and now comes my favorite part - free time to do whatever I want! Gonna focus on maxing out as many of my Confidants as I can since it’s late November and the end game is clearly coming...

You maxed Councillor, right?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Pladdicus posted:

can i play p5r on anything but my playstation 4?

Not at the moment, but P5R released end of March last years on PS4. There could be a new platform release announcement in a month or so.

P5R and FF7R getting announced for PC back-to-back could be huge for Steam sales.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This is the 25th anniversary year for Persona and Atlus has said they have some big announcements coming so it's possible more PC ports are in the works.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Harrow posted:

That’s what can make the whole experience downright surreal, like with a proven actor like D.C. Douglas reading lines like “I’ll continue to do my best to answer your expectations of me.”

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

anakha posted:

Most of the investigator crew's English voices sound too old for the characters they're dubbing. I ended up switching to the Japanese dub after getting called Senpai in Rise's 'way too husky voice for a 15-year old' for the umpteenth time.

Look at this fool who doesn't like Peak Anime Laura Bailey

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Arist posted:

Look at this fool who doesn't like Peak Anime Laura Bailey

:yeah:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

That’s what can make the whole experience downright surreal, like with a proven actor like D.C. Douglas reading lines like “I’ll continue to do my best to answer your expectations of me.”

I appreciate that Royal fixes some of the worst lines but it also ended up making lines that were bad but less remarkable now stand out.

New Royal content has some hosed up translations sometimes too. There's this one amazing moment where Joker offers to share an umbrella with Yoshizawa and one of the options that should have been translated as "Want to share?" is instead "You want a piece of this?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I remember thinking that Yosuke sounded way too deep and old compared to everyone else and then I listened to the Japanese version and he sounds even older there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iARF1yOl-BM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfAyGLpBEG4