Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

They should remake Gen 4 because after making the Wild Area and then vastly improving on it with the DLCs, there's a lot of potential for them to make something really interesting and weird out of the Underground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Hammerite posted:

They probably should remake gen 4 because it is only upon remaking gen 4 that they will be prepared to remake gen 5, or as it is commonly known, "the greatest generation"

I am legitimately dreading it. I love Black and White and simply thinking how it'd go from the peak of their sprites to whatever 3D Models they'd be using at the time is a turn off. And that's before thinking how many other ways it could be ruined.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the gen 5 sprite animation is so offputting

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

oddium posted:

your offputting

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

1st Stage Midboss posted:

They should remake Gen 4 because after making the Wild Area and then vastly improving on it with the DLCs, there's a lot of potential for them to make something really interesting and weird out of the Underground.

The expected reality: The Underground Project has started!

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

1st Stage Midboss posted:

That's a cool thought. We know they're not going to introduce "the whole world is the wild area" in a remake game but they could definitely turn the Underground into a Wild Area without feeling like they've changed the main map too much, which is definitely a thing they care about because they're weird. That and one or two new DLC islands like this time, and there you go. They could even smarten the gently caress up and make a Battle Frontier- the Sinnoh one was way better than the Emerald one anyway.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Diet Poison posted:

That's a cool thought. We know they're not going to introduce "the whole world is the wild area" in a remake game but they could definitely turn the Underground into a Wild Area without feeling like they've changed the main map too much, which is definitely a thing they care about because they're weird. That and one or two new DLC islands like this time, and there you go. They could even smarten the gently caress up and make a Battle Frontier- the Sinnoh one was way better than the Emerald one anyway.

*Pounds fists on the table* Newmoon island...NEWMOON ISLAND!!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

qnqnx posted:

The expected reality: The Underground Project has started!

oh god this hurts :negative:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Just depends if they're given enough time to work on the game to a satisfactory standard.

They aren't.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I've honestly yet to be disappointed by a Pokemon main title entry (except for HGSS, do remakes count?), and Gen IV is still my second favorite generation, so I'm looking forward to the inevitable Gen IV remakes a whole bunch.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The main gen 4 ones are the only games that I never played the original or remake of and I would enjoy finally getting to have my grass turtle.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
So my wife and I are having a disagreement as to the color of Tangela.

What is the correct answer?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Beachcomber posted:

blue

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

Black with blue tentacles and red feet

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Blue.

Unless it's shiny. Then it's green.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Beachcomber posted:

Either steel or cerulean blue I think.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
:sparkles: Yay!

:eng99: You win

:sparkles: I didn't know it was a competition

:geno: Of course it wasn't...

Edit: she caught a shiny Tangela which prompted the discussion.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Beachcomber posted:

:sparkles: Yay!

:eng99: You win

:sparkles: I didn't know it was a competition

:geno: Of course it wasn't...

Edit: she caught a shiny Tangela which prompted the discussion.

Did you explain the concept of shinies to her? Could help her down the road when she encounters one.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Flopsy posted:

Did you explain the concept of shinies to her? Could help her down the road when she encounters one.

...she already knew about them? She's been playing Go since day one and some mainline games besides.

I just thought Tangela was more of a spruce green than blue.

:sparkles: It's green!

:eng101: Regular Tangela is also green

:sparkles: No, it's blue

:eng101: I'll ask the experts

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
regular Tangela is definitely blue

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Larryb posted:

Black with blue tentacles and red feet

I always had the impression that the black parts are just shadows from all the vines

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MorningMoon posted:

I always had the impression that the black parts are just shadows from all the vines

Huh, I was under the impression that its real body was hidden under the tentacles/vines (especially since when it evolves into Tangrowth you can see more black on the legs).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 21, 2021

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

oddium posted:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Correction: the sprites made with animation in mind are great

A lot of sprites from the first four gens don't look nearly as nice and tend to stretch and break

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Homora Gaykemi posted:

i don't want Diamond and Pearl remakes because them being old enough to be remade is a crushing reminder of the inexorable march of time

I played Red and Blue on release and I have to keep reminding myself that the majority of the current fanbase were too old for even Fire Red/Leaf Green

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
All three remakes have some element that you can probably pick at now (FRLG is very dated, HGSS doesn't fix the levelling curve, ORAS doesn't have enough of the improvements from Emerald added), but honestly they're all above average for Pokemon games for me and probably usually comparable or better to the equivalent game in their generation.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

What would actually be cool would be making new games in the old regions. Basically I guess Pearl/Diamond 2. That way you could redo the level curve and redistribute phone Pokemon because of new types/moves and not have to slavishly follow the way things were 15 years ago. But you still get the Nostalgia Hit of Sinnoh and the Gen 4 starters and all that. Could even have the same gym leaders and stuff just with new Pokemon.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Humerus posted:

What would actually be cool would be making new games in the old regions. Basically I guess Pearl/Diamond 2. That way you could redo the level curve and redistribute phone Pokemon because of new types/moves and not have to slavishly follow the way things were 15 years ago. But you still get the Nostalgia Hit of Sinnoh and the Gen 4 starters and all that. Could even have the same gym leaders and stuff just with new Pokemon.

I too would like Pokemon Let's Go Johto :v:.

(I do think that'd be an interesting idea)

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I too would like Pokemon Let's Go Johto :v:.

(I do think that'd be an interesting idea)

We're probably getting this at some point anyway.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The Title will be Pokemon Let's Go 2: Johto for the good pun.

ApplesandOranges posted:

All three remakes have some element that you can probably pick at now (FRLG is very dated, HGSS doesn't fix the levelling curve, ORAS doesn't have enough of the improvements from Emerald added), but honestly they're all above average for Pokemon games for me and probably usually comparable or better to the equivalent game in their generation.

ORAS is the only one I'd say is better than it's gen partner.FRLG just feel empty and lifeless compared to Hoenns believably varied locales and HGSS not fixing any of the issues that made GS garbage is inexcusable. Well they tried to fix them and made them worse. You can finally catch the new dark types in Johto, in the new safari zone maybe if you can figure out it's arcane ways.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 21, 2021

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
edit:.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Let's Go Johto with the same level of detail that was given to LGEP would be great

The Johto region is beautiful, and being able to see it with modern console graphics would be amazing

Imagine the sakura blossoms in Ecruteak City

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I hope they do the whole Johto+Kanto thing like in HGSS, but of course fix a lot of problems with pokemon availability such as letting you get a dark type before you beat the elite 4

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

I hope they do the whole Johto+Kanto thing like in HGSS

Kanto was in the original Game Boy version of Gen 2 as well. I never played the remakes, did they improve the Kanto part of the game at all there?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

HGSS Kanto is my favourite iteration of the region. It's never been particularly exciting as a region, but everything is in, and you even have the Safari Zone west of Cianwood. Since it's in the DS era there's a lot of postgame content and the Gym Leaders are no longer pathetically weak. Even if it has a lot of Gen 2 problems, HGSS are still some of the best games in the series.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Agreed, HGSS are clearly in the top tier of games even though the level curve sucks

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Honestly one of my favorite little things HGSS changed was just giving the gift Togepi Extrasensory so it’s a viable team member.

Would have been better if you could pick up a Shiny Stone before postgame and if the Fairy type had existed yet but still nice.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I've said it before and I'll say it again: HGSS is the shining example of why all the extra features and details matter so much for pokemon. It's core problem of a bad level curve doesn't stop it from being so beloved because its filled to the brim with pretty and neat details.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The Title will be Pokemon Let's Go 2: Johto for the good pun.

ORAS is the only one I'd say is better than it's gen partner.FRLG just feel empty and lifeless compared to Hoenns believably varied locales and HGSS not fixing any of the issues that made GS garbage is inexcusable. Well they tried to fix them and made them worse. You can finally catch the new dark types in Johto, in the new safari zone maybe if you can figure out it's arcane ways.

Said Safari Zone was so arcane, BULBAPEDIA GAVE UP ON TRYING TO CATALOGUE IT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

MorningMoon posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: HGSS is the shining example of why all the extra features and details matter so much for pokemon. It's core problem of a bad level curve doesn't stop it from being so beloved because its filled to the brim with pretty and neat details.

To this day ORAS is my absolute favorite entry of the series if only because they filled it to the brim with so many details.

It probably helps that Hoenn is still my favorite region.