Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
He lives in Orange County, which immediately makes everything sensical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Klyith posted:

He tweeted out that he had a gun and was "trained to use it" to defend his family if any of these rioters came into his house.

https://twitter.com/jayztwocents/status/366381446413307904

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Is this supposed to be some sort of dig at him? I don't really get the relevance.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

When he claims that he's trained and is willing and able to use fight off a roaming mob, keep in mind that he was nearly defeated by lunches.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I recently discovered that you're supposed to say his channel as "Jay's two cents" not "Jay-Z Two Cents" like it's an emcee name. In conclusion, eff that guy.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

cage-free egghead posted:

Is this supposed to be some sort of dig at him? I don't really get the relevance.

That tweet is from 2013 also, so he's kept the weight off for at least 8 years. Good job on that.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://youtu.be/hc4_PnKoea4

oops

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It's amazing how many people did absolutely no preparation for this eventuality, even once they knew it was coming. Like how hard is it to spend 5 minutes researching cold weather preparation and know that you need to turn all your faucets on a bit to avoid this happening?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

If Texas had open carry he could’ve just shot the snow before it ruined his home.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

K8.0 posted:

It's amazing how many people did absolutely no preparation for this eventuality, even once they knew it was coming. Like how hard is it to spend 5 minutes researching cold weather preparation and know that you need to turn all your faucets on a bit to avoid this happening?

:facepalm:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

K8.0 posted:

Running faucets does jack poo poo to stop pipes freezing when it's single digits inside your house and negative outside. It *may* stop the pipe from busting when it freezes, but may not. Also, when the interior gets that cold the water in the sink's trap can freeze, meaning that the sink will overflow. The common internet advice for preventing pipes from freezing is not at all adequate for this situation.

In a situation where you know for sure your pipes will freeze, what you need to do is to shut off the main supply in advance. which sucks because you now have no water as well as no heat, but if you're gonna evacuate who cares.

(also if I was evacuating entirely I would have tried to bleed the pipes some if possible, to introduce air spaces that would allow more expansion. but in texas that would probably mean getting into a crawlspace or something. and that's not exactly common internet advice.)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There's really not any reasonable preparation that a homeowner can do if they live in an area that never normally has below zero temperatures and suddenly has to deal with a week of being -20c.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Shut off the water and empty the pipes. Its common knowledge up here in Canada and I'm pretty sure a literal 2 minute search online will yield you the same advice. I'm not sure in what world leaving a house with no power where the heater is electric unmonitored during a freezing event would be considered a good idea to begin with tbh. especially given he lives right next to his parents.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah lol I didn't realise he'd evacuated the house without shutting the water off, assumed it was like those people who just wake up and have water pouring through their ceiling.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
All of this is somewhat common knowledge, even here in the south. Most of us know not to leave our garden hoses connected in the winter. It's just that a lot of people were involved so the more ridiculous ones will rise to the top. Not many people will post videos online or get news coverage about "nothing very notable happened in my house today". Plus it's 8-bit guy so there is already high chance of dumbassery.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

I sympathise with a lot of people where poo poo happened because there should've been some sort of public awareness drive leading up to this happening to mitigate damage from stuff like this. But in the case of 8-bit guy where the dude talks out of his rear end with some imaginary air of authority on any given topic he doesn't understand I'm just gonna lmao at this happening to him

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

the corona quid posted:

I sympathise with a lot of people where poo poo happened because there should've been some sort of public awareness drive leading up to this happening to mitigate damage from stuff like this. But in the case of 8-bit guy where the dude talks out of his rear end with some imaginary air of authority on any given topic he doesn't understand I'm just gonna lmao at this happening to him

maybe if he shorts the power supply to his house with a screwdriver that will fix the flooding

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

He should have shot the pipes with a pellet gun

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Surprised they're all electric in the car department. I'd have figured some open carry guy being all hurrr mah truck.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

evs seem pretty popular among the prepper/survivalist crowd

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Klyith posted:

Running faucets does jack poo poo to stop pipes freezing when it's single digits inside your house and negative outside. It *may* stop the pipe from busting when it freezes, but may not. Also, when the interior gets that cold the water in the sink's trap can freeze, meaning that the sink will overflow. The common internet advice for preventing pipes from freezing is not at all adequate for this situation.

In a situation where you know for sure your pipes will freeze, what you need to do is to shut off the main supply in advance. which sucks because you now have no water as well as no heat, but if you're gonna evacuate who cares.

(also if I was evacuating entirely I would have tried to bleed the pipes some if possible, to introduce air spaces that would allow more expansion. but in texas that would probably mean getting into a crawlspace or something. and that's not exactly common internet advice.)

Yes, that would be the appropriate approach for a house that's going to deep freeze. We're not talking about -40, we're talking a few days of chill, which is not going to deep freeze things that quickly, even with a poorly insulated southern house. I'm sure it wouldn't have saved every house, but given the flooding he had it almost certainly would have saved his house, since he apparently only had one water line break and not literally every line destroyed as would happen in a situation where the whole thing is well and truly frozen.

e - and my point isn't that he shouldn't have shut the water supply off, it's that even the SLIGHTEST preparation would have almost certainly prevented this, and yet this guy who sets himself up as a thinker worthy of listening to didn't do the most basic research.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 21, 2021

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

K8.0 posted:

e - and my point isn't that he shouldn't have shut the water supply off, it's that even the SLIGHTEST preparation would have almost certainly prevented this, and yet this guy who sets himself up as a thinker worthy of listening to didn't do the most basic research.

There is a running theme of his channel where he half asses something with little to no research, does something that leads to a disastrous outcome because he half asses everything and does little to no research, then acts like what happened was completely out of his control and nothing at all could've stopped that from happening.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Everybody here's an expert, yet I don't see any of you with successful youtube careers.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Not shutting off the water was a pretty easy mistake to avoid, I'd say.

the corona quid posted:

Shut off the water and empty the pipes. Its common knowledge up here in Canada and I'm pretty sure a literal 2 minute search online will yield you the same advice. I'm not sure in what world leaving a house with no power where the heater is electric unmonitored during a freezing event would be considered a good idea to begin with tbh. especially given he lives right next to his parents.

Gas furnaces need electricity as well.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Cavauro posted:

evs seem pretty popular among the prepper/survivalist crowd
For what reason, anyway? Seems easier to steal fuel than lug a shitload of solar panels around to recharge your EV.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Combat Pretzel posted:

For what reason, anyway? Seems easier to steal fuel than lug a shitload of solar panels around to recharge your EV.

With plugin-in hybrids, you have both. Solar charging & being able to operate the car using gasoline. Certainly makes sense from a prepper perspective. And useful in day-to-day operation.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

the corona quid posted:

If Texas had open carry he could’ve just shot the snow before it ruined his home.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Linus Tech Tips is fixing their off-site backup server after literal years of neglect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS4bNKLxEL0

Note that during the time they've been without an off-site backup they've had their server room catch fire due to a faulty/improperly installed UPS and also did a major remodel of their office (which definitely brings no increased chances of major disasters to their building). Also note that this "new" backup server is so old that it had OCZ SSDs installed as the boot drive. Also also note that Linus pretty much straight-up says he's managed to piss off all his sponsors for server-grade hardware (so they won't send him any more freebies for a while) which is why he's deploying such an ancient server for this purpose.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 21, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Was it the constant dropping and breaking of hardware?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Nvm

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Mr.Radar posted:

Linus Tech Tips is fixing their off-site backup server after literal years of neglect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS4bNKLxEL0

Note that during the time they've been without an off-site backup they've had their server room catch fire due to a faulty/improperly installed UPS and also did a major remodel of their office (which definitely brings no increased chances of major disasters to their building). Also note that this "new" backup server is so old that it had OCZ SSDs installed as the boot drive. Also also note that Linus pretty much straight-up says he's managed to piss off all his sponsors for server-grade hardware (so they won't send him any more freebies for a while) which is why he's deploying such an ancient server for this purpose.

I'm sure they figure if they have a major storage disaster that it would still make for a good video that week lol.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Was it the constant dropping and breaking of hardware?

Probably a bit of that and a bit of asking for a bit too much stuff recently. I remember a different storage server video he did a few months ago where he asked Seagate for a bunch of drives, they sent him drives rated for at most 5 per chassis, then he told them it was for a huge NAS and they sent him drives rated for like 12 per chassis and he had to go back to them again to clarify he was putting all like 40 drives he was asking them for into the same chassis before they sent him drives certified for that type of duty. For some reason Seagate didn't ask him to send the other drives back (that's almost certainly where the initial Ironwolf drives he was going to use in this video came from) but I got the impression from the video that Seagate was done with sending him drives for a while.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Love to custom build all my mission critical production servers so there's no real warranty.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

When it fails they get to make another video about that.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

FuturePastNow posted:

When it fails they get to make another video about that.

you mean when it catches fire

at least he can't semi blame a company for it.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Romes128 posted:

you mean when it catches fire

at least he can't semi blame a company for it.

No, when one of the 3 single point of failure for the entire volume RAID controller fails.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Guys going eewwwww gross! like giant babies at the most mild dirt (linus's dusty server, steve and weird waterblock goo) is for some reason really irritating to me. Man up nerds, get your hands dirty.

Steve I don't even understand why he couldn't bear to touch some weird slime. Dude must change chains and brakes on his bikes, he can't be a complete stranger to dirt and grease.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's just dust as well, it's not like a poo poo pipe leaked over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Klyith posted:

Guys going eewwwww gross! like giant babies at the most mild dirt (linus's dusty server, steve and weird waterblock goo) is for some reason really irritating to me. Man up nerds, get your hands dirty.

Steve I don't even understand why he couldn't bear to touch some weird slime. Dude must change chains and brakes on his bikes, he can't be a complete stranger to dirt and grease.

These types of reactions probably play better to the Youtube audience.