Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

This reminds me of the Tekken movie, which IIRC, sucked because they forgot to make it any fun. MK's lore is inherently more goofy and fun than Tekken's, so that'll be harder to do with this one.

Hollismason posted:

The Tekken movie cost 50 million dollars to make. This one looks like it has a substantial budget.

DC Murderverse posted:

Honestly I think $50 million was around the budget they were shooting for with this movie too. That said, effects money probably goes farther in 2020 than 2009 and WB is a much better producer than the people behind Baby Geniuses and Ghost Rider. Add in a cast and writer/director that clearly have fondness for the property and you’ll probably get a much better movie with the same price tag.
Apparently there were TWO tekken movies???

Oh my god that casting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Credit to the tekken movie for giving Heihachi his signature hairdoo. That's about all I can say about it however.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Kevin Nash was in the first one, right?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

The United States posted:

Apparently there were TWO tekken movies???

Oh my god that casting

Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa was in both of them? I'd check them out if I knew anything about Tekken.

I remember the Dead or Alive movie being entertaining (though not good) as well.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Vince MechMahon posted:

Kevin Nash was in the first one, right?

Are you thinking of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze?

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Kevin Nash is in the Dead or Alive movie, he's Bass

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

No, you’re thinking of The Punisher were he plays a big dude

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The movie I was thinking of was John Wick, where he played the only guy John Wick didn't kill on site.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
The tekken movie is on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/-UBAoIFBfPk

:wtc:

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Martman posted:

Whereas Chris Lambert just had a very reasonable few hits of a joint and maybe a beer before each one.

EDIT: Whoa I'm having a serious Mandela Effect here, I remembered that Jonny Cage got rekt right at the beginning of MK: Annihilation, but I swear I remember him getting turned into a statue or something the moment he tries to kick Shao Kahn. I'm watching the opening and he just gets his neck broken! Is there some similar movie scene, or part of that movie, that I'm thinking of? Or maybe my child mind just went into minor denial.

There's a part in the first movie where some guy tries to flying kick Sub-Zero and gets turned into ice. Maybe you're remembering that?

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

banned from Starbucks posted:

Kano and Scorpion are good guys now? I havent followed MK lore since MK2 please advise

I believe that Scorpion has always been a neutral character.....leaning towards good. Sub-Zero has always been on the bad side.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I believe that Scorpion has always been a neutral character.....leaning towards good. Sub-Zero has always been on the bad side.

Sub-Zero 1 is evil, Sub-Zero 2 is a good guy.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Bloodcider posted:

There's a part in the first movie where some guy tries to flying kick Sub-Zero and gets turned into ice. Maybe you're remembering that?
Maybe I seriously just memory holed it into that because as soon as they broke Jonny's neck at the very beginning of the movie I started realizing something was very wrong.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Vince MechMahon posted:

Sub-Zero 1 is evil, Sub-Zero 2 is a good guy.

Yeah once Liu Kang died, Sub Zero 2 became the default hero protagonist of the series. He's a nice boy.

Sub Zero 1 was a jerk and only got more evil in death.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
He also started calling himself "Noob Saibot;" which probably sounded cooler in his head, and started talking with a super deep Dr. Claw voice.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I hope the new movie includes the original Animalities, where Scorpion turns into a penguin and Reptile turns into a monkey.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah once Liu Kang died, Sub Zero 2 became the default hero protagonist of the series. He's a nice boy.

Sub Zero 1 was a jerk and only got more evil in death.
The games retconned a lot of the early lore. Sub-Zero was from a clan of "Chinese ninjas" (lol) that put out a hit on Scorpion, but not his family. The hellspawn Scorpion killed Sub-Zero, but his curse was that he'd never be allowed to see his still-living wife and child again. When Sub-Zero resurfaced for MK2, Scorpion chased him into Outworld, realized he had the wrong guy, and swore to be his protector (which was funny because he didn't show up in MK3 until Ultimate came out).

Somewhere along the lines they decided to change it to say that Sub-Zero killed Scorpion's family too, and Scorpion was suddenly Japanese in a modern ninja clan in Japan, so I have no idea whether the clans were supposed to be fighting in China or Japan or what. Then they decided Quan Chi killed Scorpion's family while in disguise as Sub-Zero, and that Noob was OG Sub-Zero's ghost. So you'd think it would be a major plot point for Noob to take issue with Quan Chi for framing him and Scorpion for killing him, but yeah, not really.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

sticklefifer posted:

Sub-Zero was from a clan of "Chinese ninjas" (lol)

https://youtu.be/WVIpnoptwSQ

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I love all the very literal lyrics on that album.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

I love all the very literal lyrics on that album.

I like to think that The Immortals were given a list of facts about each character and just used them as lyrics.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Superrodan posted:

I like to think that The Immortals were given a list of facts about each character and just used them as lyrics.

Johnny's is 100% this and you'll never convince me otherwise. Most of it is just them reading a list of facts!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I cannot imagine someone involved with making Mortal Kombat media in the 1990s being that lazy and slapdash

Enjoy this unrelated tweet

https://twitter.com/bradfhenderson/status/1364266468909678596?s=21

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Welp, time to give Snydercut HQ a call and let them know the next film to campaign for.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Honestly I don't see why the idea of Chinese ninjas being a thing is that laughable, given there'd certainly be plenty of demand for their services whether as spies and assassins, guerrilla fighters or mystical superpowered mercenary warriors. And how the whole concept is probably as retroactively invented as the honourable samurai anyway.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Honestly I don't see why the idea of Chinese ninjas being a thing is that laughable, given there'd certainly be plenty of demand for their services whether as spies and assassins, guerrilla fighters or mystical superpowered mercenary warriors. And how the whole concept is probably as retroactively invented as the honourable samurai anyway.

X specifically makes fun of this, IIRC. Someone calls Sub-Zero a ninja and he just sighs and explains that ninjas are Japanese, the Lin Kuei are Chinese and thus just assassins, not ninjas.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cythereal posted:

X specifically makes fun of this, IIRC. Someone calls Sub-Zero a ninja and he just sighs and explains that ninjas are Japanese, the Lin Kuei are Chinese and thus just assassins, not ninjas.

Actually that makes it way funnier that it's literally just a branding issue.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Quan Chi also enjoys needling Sub-Zero about this, as seen in the documentary Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

https://twitter.com/mikepogostick/status/1364584546298167307?s=21

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

MK Ultra Girls: the animated series about the ladies of mortal Kombat secretly slipping each other LSD "for science."

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Did the "test audiences" consist entirely of "my 5 year old little brother who was also drunk"?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah but here's the weird part: Where are these two small warring Chinese and Japanese ninja clans - neither of whom have progressed beyond the 1800s up until one of them decides to make robots - fighting their centuries-old rivalry? They depict one in frostbitten mountains and the other in an idyllic village surrounded by forests. Are they trekking across the East China Sea every time they want to take a shot at each other? Is there an uncharted island between China and Japan that they're fighting over? Is there an exclave of Edo-period Japan on coastal China? It's just a really bizarre setup that they've repeatedly retconned because MK's original concept was just "90s mystical Asian pastiche", and modern games require more lore than that now.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I don't think doing another pass on the effects in Annihilation would fix the real issues in that movie

https://youtu.be/MIt0VY7Yg2w

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's pure loving trash. At least MK1 tried to be decent.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Annihilation is in the "So bad its its hilarious" zone for me. Every scene is a combination of baffling errors and sequences that one can't do anything but laugh. There's that Sindel scene posted earlier, then there's this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYIzYDHekJs

This 3 minute sequence is incredibly stupid and only serves as filler. There's no build up to Raiden fighting Sindel, he says he'll fight her and next cut is her blowing him through a wall and now he's fighting 3 Reptiles... I guess? Then he comes to fight an-... wait she's already beaten? What?

Superrodan posted:

I'd believe it. Rayden's song has the lyrics "The thunder warrior, he has no eyes!".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPSBJcL3FGI

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Check the whole thread:
https://twitter.com/BradFHenderson/status/1364266468909678596

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

RELEASE THE FATALITY CUT!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Jimbot posted:

Welp, time to give Snydercut HQ a call and let them know the next film to campaign for.

ZSJL end credits stinger is Shao Kahn walking through a portal into downtown Metropolis.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Sadly we probably won't get the line "It wouldn't be hell without Johnny Cage" in this movie.

Raiden, when he's a snarky and very put-upon Elder God trying to herd these lunatic sheep known as Mortal Kombat protagonists, can be as fun as complete fuckup Raiden.

Really hoping that the Friendships website makes it in.

Edit: To explain, one of Cassie's fatalities in X ends with her taking a selfie with the corpse of her victim and posting it to a social media site called Friendships. And people post comments on it. Posters include:

Kool&TheKang
TakeedaBanana
KungJin
KenshiFury
FanGirl
QueenaMileena
LadyBug
It'sNotAirmac
ErronBackInBlack
TotalKotal
QuanCheesy
KanO's
YouGotCaged
SonyaTheBlade
GonzoHanzo
ThunderMan
Goro
MadJax
StrykeMeDown
ReptileDisfunction
SassyJacqui
TheRealKungLao
AbsoluteSubZero

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 25, 2021

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Archer666 posted:

This 3 minute sequence is incredibly stupid and only serves as filler. There's no build up to Raiden fighting Sindel, he says he'll fight her and next cut is her blowing him through a wall and now he's fighting 3 Reptiles... I guess? Then he comes to fight an-... wait she's already beaten? What?
I like how the Reptiles are still trying to be stealthy despite that all of them are now in plain sight and he's clearly about to fight all of them.

"OK fine, let's fight."
"Yesss, but first let me hide behind this tiny column."

gregday
May 23, 2003

IMDb trivia says Danny Glover was considered for Rayden in 1995 and goddamn do I want to see that movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

gregday posted:

IMDb trivia says Danny Glover was considered for Rayden in 1995 and goddamn do I want to see that movie.

i'm pretty sure it was an ad-lib but i can vividly picture him doing the Christopher Lambert "heh heh heh.... sorry" thing