Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Thanks. I'll just read them later. I kind of like the contents of the papers, but the quantity is ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
My PS5 has only crashed playing Miles Morales.

I generally find open world games tend to have the worst issues because they have to program for so much, and want so many things happening that bugs is just par for the course.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How does the sound quality on the Pulse 3Ds stack up? I have a pair of Sony Platinum (also previously had another pair of plats and a gold headset) so I have used a bunch of Sony headsets. I barely use the Sony plats anymore because they just sound super tinny imo. I have a pair of turtle beaches that I think sound twice as good, but they are getting very worn out and the mic quality is weird on PS5 (was fine on PS4 though)

I guess my question is that if I find the sound on the Platinums lackluster, should I look elsewhere or are the pulses an improvement? I like the integrated functionality and price point but a good headset is #1.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Coming from a Gold headset, I don't think 3Ds sound much better.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

How does the sound quality on the Pulse 3Ds stack up? I have a pair of Sony Platinum (also previously had another pair of plats and a gold headset) so I have used a bunch of Sony headsets. I barely use the Sony plats anymore because they just sound super tinny imo. I have a pair of turtle beaches that I think sound twice as good, but they are getting very worn out and the mic quality is weird on PS5 (was fine on PS4 though)

I guess my question is that if I find the sound on the Platinums lackluster, should I look elsewhere or are the pulses an improvement? I like the integrated functionality and price point but a good headset is #1.

pulse 3d is a big upgrade over platinum on ps5 for me. (my platinums were crackling and dropping out and sounding like poo poo on ps5 even though they worked fine on ps4 it was weird)
they are like half the weight
they have no annoying adjustments to make because they auto adjust to the head
they sound a lot better with none of my weird personal issues mentioned above.

the only downsides are
no noise cancelling
a bit of echo on your own voice in parties

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

veni veni veni posted:

I like the output far better than my steelseries especially on the low end, it's about on par with my old Pulse Elite, though 3D audio is going to be on a per game basis. Pulse 3D is def not as well made as steelseries for example in terms of durability but it is far far more functional, if that makes sense. It's a good headset for the price, and it works very well with piss5. No regrets.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

a bit of echo on your own voice in parties

this is either a NAT issue or the monitor feature turned on

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I like the output far better than my steelseries especially on the low end, it's about on par with my old Pulse Elite, though 3D audio is going to be on a per game basis. Pulse 3D is def not as well made as steelseries for example in terms of durability but it is far far more functional, if that makes sense. It's a good headset for the price, and it works very well with piss5. No regrets.

Which steelseries did you have?

Right now I'm basically considering:

Pulse 3D (Sony official, cheap, but worried about sound quality. mostly the lack of bass in previous Sony headsets as well as build quality. They look like they might be prone to wearing out and breaking)

Turtle beach stealth 600 Gen 2 (been very happy with the sound quality and comfort on my gen 1s. Super comfy, tons of bass. Has some obnoxious qualities though, like the headset talking at you and the build quality being mediocre and the buttons sucking. Love the fabric ear cuff though. Not big on pleather. Looks like some of the issues have been ironed out with gen 2 )

SteelSeries Arctis 7 (Well reviewed and very quality looking. I have never used Arctis products though)

Was also considering some used Sennheiser GSP 670s. ( i hear the sound on these is the best on the market. but have read lots of complaints about other functionality. They are also expensive as gently caress but it looks like they can be had for about 150 used on Ebay)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i beat the bots and ordered a ps5 at the beginning of february, and it arrived yesterday. got things set up and it's pretty neat! i don't like how the game keeps playing when I hit the PS button - it doesn't suspend until I go to 'home' in the menu. I also wish I could get to the power menu by holding the PS button like I could on PS4. it's nice that it supports my ps4 controllers, especially since i'm mostly interested in playing ps4 games for the time being

the hd rumble stuff is pretty cool, I guess Nintendo doesn't have a lock on that any more

the streaming apps are way better than they were, and having a decent wifi chip is very nice (i'm coming from an OG not-slim PS4).

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Pulse 3D (Sony official, cheap, but worried about sound quality. mostly the lack of bass in previous Sony headsets as well as build quality. They look like they might be prone to wearing out and breaking)

Turtle beach stealth 600 Gen 2 (been very happy with the sound quality and comfort on my gen 1s. Super comfy, tons of bass. Has some obnoxious qualities though, like the headset talking at you and the build quality being mediocre. Love the fabric ear cuff though. Not big on pleather)

SteelSeries Arctis 7 (Well reviewed and very quality looking. I have never used Arctis products though)

Was also considering some used Sennheiser 670s. ( i hear the sound on these is the best on the market. but have read lots of complaints about other functionality. They are also expensive as gently caress but it looks like they can be had for about 150 used on Ebay)

I have the Arctis 7 and honestly I wouldn't get the for use on PS stuff, it doesn't work all that well with regard to audio switching and the mix knobs aren't ideal. I feel like that headset, despite some nice features and build quality, was designed more for the PC experience, and considering it's a bit more expensive that's not really optimal. I had another friend who got a deal on the Arctis 7 and was really disappointed with it, expecting it to interface with the console similarly to his Pulse Elite, and he just ended up getting a Pulse 3D and giving the Arctis 7 to his wife for video-conferencing. Turtle Beach I have no familiarity with.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

veni veni veni posted:

Turtle beach stealth 600 Gen 2 (been very happy with the sound quality and comfort on my gen 1s. Super comfy, tons of bass. Has some obnoxious qualities though, like the headset talking at you and the build quality being mediocre and the buttons sucking. Love the fabric ear cuff though. Not big on pleather. Looks like some of the issues have been ironed out with gen 2 )

Was also considering some used Sennheiser GSP 670s. ( i hear the sound on these is the best on the market. but have read lots of complaints about other functionality. They are also expensive as gently caress but it looks like they can be had for about 150 used on Ebay)

If you can get your hands on the Turtlebeach Stealth 700 Gen 1, go for it. It has some great features that you can use but you have to connect the dongle's optical out to your TV and tweak a few settings on your tv and PS5.

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

The pulse 3d’s sound on par with the PS4 golds to my untrained ears. I think I like the golds a touch more in terms of comfort.

Any games support the 3d stuff yet? I booted up Astro’s playground and while the haptics were amazing I couldn’t tell if there was any special audio.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

gooby pls posted:

The pulse 3d’s sound on par with the PS4 golds to my untrained ears. I think I like the golds a touch more in terms of comfort.

the auto-adjusting band is cool in theory, but i have to reposition them by hand more than i'd like.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
My PS5 crash list is as follows

Demons’ souls: twice in the first day then none after
Miles morales: none
Hitman 3: four times I think
Doom Eternal: four times
LA Noire: once (lol at playing LA Noire on a PS5)
Cyberpunk: holy goddamn I couldn’t keep count but definitely plus 50, I was quick saving every two minutes

All were soft crashes (“this application has encountered an error”). I don’t think I’ve had any crashes playing games from an external HDD funnily enough.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I've had a handful of crashes;

1) 3 horrifying static-y hardlocks in Miles Morales, which needed database rebuilds after
2) Ordinary quit-to-dashboard in Control: Ultimate Edition
3) A weird error during DMCV:SE which restarted the system software and dashboard but didn't effect the game state at all; after the reboot I was able to unsuspend the game from the middle of a level.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

miles at launch was my only system crash but practically every game i've played on ps5 has had a software crash at least once. demons, ys9, days gone, etc.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

this is either a NAT issue or the monitor feature turned on

wheres the monitor feature options?
Found it

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 21, 2021

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Just wanted to say thanks for all the souls-related discussion. Having seen souls memes for years all over the place they never looked like the kind of game I’d be interested in. Having ended up with a copy of the Demon’s Souls remake when I bought the ps5 I was just going to toss it up on eBay. You guys got me interested in trying it out and turns out I really dig it! I’m slowly losing my mash button habits and the visuals are really frickin cool.

Thanks y’all.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is there a post with goon approved must-have accessories somewhere? Checked the op and the last couple of pages.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Fedule posted:

I've had a handful of crashes;

1) 3 horrifying static-y hardlocks in Miles Morales, which needed database rebuilds after
2) Ordinary quit-to-dashboard in Control: Ultimate Edition
3) A weird error during DMCV:SE which restarted the system software and dashboard but didn't effect the game state at all; after the reboot I was able to unsuspend the game from the middle of a level.

Literally exactly this list of crashes, even the weird DMC behavior (!), but also add 50 ctds from my Cyberpunk playthrough

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
my crash list:
cyberpunk (100+ times)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

veni veni veni posted:

I used to know this kid who would straight put the cart in his mouth and blow on it sensually back and forth, for like a minute straight. Made me want to puke.

Looked gross but made a sweet, soulful sound I bet.

*blues harmonica riff*
Well since my Baby left me
Been makin' an awful cry
A bubble ain't no protection
From those wicked Shy Guys

I got them Baby Mario...
I got them Baby Mario bluuueeessss

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
its like you knew i was away this weekend and someone had to pick up the slack

glorious

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

My son just yelled at me while playing Ghost of Tsushima. We are both in NG+. "Look!" He walks up to one of the locked prisoner cages and smashes the door in with a sword strike. Are you making GBS threads me? We're both laughing. "I feel so dumb!"

Holy poo poo, he just freed one of the bears and I yelled at him to get to a safe place, "Get on top of his cage!" The bear loving jumped on top of the cage. This game is great.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I think my biggest struggle with dark souls 3 is that dodging doesn’t start when you press the button, but when you release it. I think it’s the reason dodging the enemy feels so loving sluggish. I’m at <50% weight, so not fat rolling. It’s funny after how incredibly complex the button combos for Nioh are that I’m having so much trouble because of this delay.

Funny when I first started dark souls 3, the square button in Nioh is attack.. but it’s use estus in DS3. This muscle memory is not conducive. I can’t describe the look on my face as I’m fighting the first big knight, see an opening, and suddenly start chugging flasks one after another as the knight freely wrecks my poo poo. loving broken brain syndrome lol.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

wheres the monitor feature options?

It's been an informal/secret feature on all sony headsets, but on the pulse 3D it has its own button on one of the earcups. Just set it to 'off'

KDdidit posted:

Is there a post with goon approved must-have accessories somewhere? Checked the op and the last couple of pages.

The list is pretty small atm, everyone's still kind of compiling stuff, but I'll start adding consensus items to the second post soon. It usually boils down external drive recommendations but nearly everyone agrees that the controller dock is a good deal.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The Human Crouton posted:

I'm about an hour into Control.

Do I have to care about all of these loving papers I keep finding? Do they contain any actual information relevant to the gameplay or are they just world building tools? I've been having to stop and read every 2 minutes so far, and it's super annoying when I'm trying to play a video game.

at least one document tells you where you can get a power but it's the first non story power so maybe that's just a one time thing

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Another benefit for the Pulse 3D Headset is it integrates beautifully with the PS5. Things like the volume showing on the TV when I turn it up / down / mute, or the microphone being muted showing up on the screen. It also shows you the battery life alongside your controller when it's enabled.

I'm sure stuff like the Arctis does some of these things, but I doubt it does all of them (Wouldn't know for sure, only used the Pulse 3D). Those conveniences are a huge benefit to me, since I wear them basically every night gaming while the wife / kids sleep.

Edit: Pulse 3D uses USB-C to charge, while the others don't. I'm so sick of Micro USB that anything that still uses it in 2021 is a major turn-off for me.

Edit 2: Forgot this, but the audio automatically switches to the Pulse when they're turned on too.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Monitor off
Echo gone.

Full recommendation on pulse 3d now. The low price comes with more performance than you'd think

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
The Pathless is very nice to just chill and explore in after a long day at work, especially when you're just looking around an area that's clear of the storm, picking up stray stuff. I got over the fact that none of the puzzles feel like a real challenge besides "look for the next thing you shoot/move" because they're satisfying in more of a meditative way.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They become a little tricky when you need to line up moving loops and time a shot through them

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

Real hurthling! posted:

They become a little tricky when you need to line up moving loops and time a shot through them

I've had a couple of those, nothing too tough so far, I'm past the... 3rd boss battle I think? I had a few reservations about the game early on because I've been playing a lot of games lately that are much more combat oriented and I wasn't in the mindset of playing something that's more journey/abzu-esque, but now that I know what I'm in for when I go to play I'm enjoying it a lot more.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Days gone remains baffling to me.
They have you go to town A to get a lecture about how you arent being a good friend to your buddy who is depressed.
Then they make you go to town B to cheer him up.
You get there and without any cutscene say "how is it going"
He says sarcastically "i love it here" as he performs mandatory hard labor and copes with the loss of everything he loves
You say "well see you around"
Mission complete, xp gained.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

Days gone remains baffling to me.
They have you go to town A to get a lecture about how you arent being a good friend to your buddy who is depressed.
Then they make you go to town B to cheer him up.
You get there and without any cutscene say "how is it going"
He says sarcastically "i love it here" as he performs mandatory hard labor and copes with the loss of everything he loves
You say "well see you around"
Mission complete, xp gained.

that's what wore me out. the game keeps tugging you around. telling you exactly what order to do, or not do, everything.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Monitor off
Echo gone.

Full recommendation on pulse 3d now. The low price comes with more performance than you'd think

bada-boom

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

God drat dual sense has stick drift in my right analog already. Picked up Hitman 3 tonight and my view is pulling left a whole lot. And last night I had noticeable but manageable upwards drift on the left stick.

What a bummer. I’ve probably only picked this thing up to play like 50 times.

edit: if I shake the controller the view turns left, cool, cool

Seymour Buttz fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Feb 21, 2021

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Does Hitman have deadzone adjustment?

Most minor stick drift can be bypassed with deadzones idk why there isnt system level control over it in the console settings. It would save a lot of hassle.

mind eraser
Dec 26, 2005
Monkey see, Monkey do, Monkey has low I.Q.

Seymour Buttz posted:

God drat dual sense has stick drift in my right analog already. Picked up Hitman 3 tonight and my view is pulling left a whole lot. And last night I had noticeable but manageable upwards drift on the left stick.

What a bummer. I’ve probably only picked this thing up to play like 50 times.

edit: if I shake the controller the view turns left, cool, cool

My controller just started with stick drift on my left analog stick(probably have used it for like 150 hours). It’s most notable in FPS but yeah this poo poo sucks. Gonna see if I can send it into Sony soon. How’s everyone’s turn around time been on that?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I've crashed a bunch playing Fenyx Rising, and then the game started to bog down and get all these hitches every time it saved, and then the music and sound started stuttering, and I started to get worried that the console was overheating or something, because I played far more today continuously than I have for the life of the console, but quitting and restarting solved everything, so I guess it was just the game.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

Real hurthling! posted:

Does Hitman have deadzone adjustment?

Most minor stick drift can be bypassed with deadzones idk why there isnt system level control over it in the console settings. It would save a lot of hassle.

Unfortunately it doesn’t. I actually checked on that right after I posted and had the same thought you did. More system level options like dead zones etc would go a long way.

This is a pipe dream and would definitely be difficult but hell I think they should implement an option for gyro+stick aiming at the system level. It could be an accessibility feature.

edit: To the other stick drift person on this page, something that helped a bit with my controller’s symptoms was to pull on the analog stick so it goes “pop” and raises a bit, and then cleaning the whole base of the stick with isopropyl alcohol and then popping it back into place. Gets a bit of a deeper clean I think.

Seymour Buttz fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Feb 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

mind eraser posted:

My controller just started with stick drift on my left analog stick(probably have used it for like 150 hours). It’s most notable in FPS but yeah this poo poo sucks. Gonna see if I can send it into Sony soon. How’s everyone’s turn around time been on that?

This is pretty bad, iFixit found that DualSense has a shelf-life of just over 400 hours so 150 is very bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qPNyio3VDk

Apparently, its the exact same mechanism in the Switch, PS4, Xbox One, and probably even the Xbox Series S/X.

This is 100% a hardware fix because Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo are incredibly cheap.

Apparently Sony will even make you eat the shipping costs to them depending on where you live.