Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ive barely seen may, which is weird cause the overall stly eof the game seems very suited to her. big hits and counters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Mode 7 posted:

Played a little bit. Axl seems really cool and I've been having fun flailing like an idiot to poke people at range, I have 0% idea of what I'm doing.
The netcode has been great so far, hoping this has a good scene in Australia so that I can finally get the magical trio of "fighting game I like, that everyone else seems to like too, that also has rollback".

Yeah honestly the beta 100% sold me on this day one. I love GG games but COVID means it’s very hard to play in person and the net code was so good. And they have a Middle East server!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

And they have a Middle East server!

WHAT HOLY poo poo

HOLY poo poo WE HAVE TO GET THE ARAB FGC GANG TOGETHER FINALLY

A BIG AAA FIGHTING GAME WITH ROLLBACK AND A SERVER FOR THIS GODFORSAKEN REGION?!

prayers finally answered lol

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

WHAT HOLY poo poo

HOLY poo poo WE HAVE TO GET THE ARAB FGC GANG TOGETHER FINALLY

A BIG AAA FIGHTING GAME WITH ROLLBACK AND A SERVER FOR THIS GODFORSAKEN REGION?!

prayers finally answered lol

I used to play a bunch of Blazblue with people in Kuwait on a now dead gaming forum, but I pretty much could ONLY play with them and there was still a bit of lag. We would all get together in a lobby and spectate one another and there was pretty much no other option.

The combination of actual server, insanely good netcode, and the fact that at least here they widely rolled out 5G (which is faster than many landline connections...) means this might finally be the point where playing these games primarily online becomes a real option.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I used to play a bunch of Blazblue with people in Kuwait on a now dead gaming forum, but I pretty much could ONLY play with them and there was still a bit of lag. We would all get together in a lobby and spectate one another and there was pretty much no other option.

The combination of actual server, insanely good netcode, and the fact that at least here they widely rolled out 5G (which is faster than many landline connections...) means this might finally be the point where playing these games primarily online becomes a real option.

When the time comes DM me your fightername and lets add each other on whatever friendlist is used for the game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Does anyone else think Giovanna's stage intro sounds a lot like Sabotage except they shout FOOOD FIGHT! at the very beginning?

Also Nago's theme is just a hard rock version of Come Together.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Endorph posted:

ive barely seen may, which is weird cause the overall stly eof the game seems very suited to her. big hits and counters

As someone who played Xrd May, she still has damage, but not the wild counterhits from airnormals, and her command throw has utterly poo poo damage outside the corner.

Lost all her oki too but has better pressure now

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I'm playing May and I'm doing pretty good. Dolphin Spam doesn't let me down until I fight someone that knows how to apply pressure real good, like a good Giovanna.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDyHOSZMHG0

Rad

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
what does a blue name mean in the lobbies

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Zand posted:

what does a blue name mean in the lobbies

I think its someone you followed.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I don't mind the lobbies in principle, and if you just want a list you can go to the bar for it, but boy I really hope they get whatever connection and matching data they need from it because the lobby desync is terrible. Also if you're player 2 you can't pick Sol or you're rolling the dice on disconnects. If you're anyone else and see Sol on the bounty poster then it's a guaranteed disconnect and you should back out, though you can't do that if the other person has readied for some reason.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 21, 2021

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
Theres some de syncing in the game. I was listening to two friends play and on one screen my friend was beating up someone that was idel while the other friend was alrdy in the lobby waiting for him to start another match.

They watched their replays back to back and it all changed when my friend that was playing faust got a metor on his throw and the other friend never saw it on the screen.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

zooted heh posted:

Theres some de syncing in the game. I was listening to two friends play and on one screen my friend was beating up someone that was idel while the other friend was alrdy in the lobby waiting for him to start another match.

They watched their replays back to back and it all changed when my friend that was playing faust got a metor on his throw and the other friend never saw it on the screen.

Hey maybe clean up the spelling a little? I don't know if Faust got meter on a throw or a meteor on a throw.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
sorry phone posting but its was a meteor in one of his item tosses.

AnEndcat
Mar 21, 2013

zooted heh posted:

I've had some pretty obvious desyncs playing a friend on Faust, usually after an item toss super, with zero when he was playing Axl or Ramlethal. Texas-UK, and sample size of one connection so grain of salt, but wondering if the same thing that was happening in the Accent Core beta applies here too.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, sure sounds like Faust's RNG isn't syncing or rolling back correctly. RNGs are always a plentiful source of synchronization shenanigans. Make sure to report it to wherever you're supposed to report that stuff for the beta and I'm sure it'll be fixed in no time. And by no time I mean in april or something.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
did Faust's item toss also not work properly in +R when they patched in rollback?

e: oh someone already said that

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I think I'll still end up getting this on PC because even though the wifi is surprisingly good on PS4, the load times while swapping between Training + Quick Match are still long enough to annoy me. I also refuse to give Sony money to use the internet I already pay for!! And I wanna see that beautiful animation in glorious 1440p. Hopefully there will be a big enough playerbase so that I don't get completely waxed on Day 1.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Hey I don't seem to be able to match with anyone...I keep getting failed to load match and other notices. Are other people having this issue at the moment?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Madmarker posted:

Hey I don't seem to be able to match with anyone...I keep getting failed to load match and other notices. Are other people having this issue at the moment?

That happens to me a lot too idling in training mode. Thats why they have the beta i guess

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Madmarker posted:

Have you tried exiting out to the world selection screen and going back in? Seems to help sometimes.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
God I love ramlethal

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Is Pot's 6K - Hammerfall still a thing in Strive? That being mandatory and a real pain in the rear end to do was the main reason why I stopped playing Pot in Xrd.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Jack Trades posted:

Is Pot's 6K - Hammerfall still a thing in Strive? That being mandatory and a real pain in the rear end to do was the main reason why I stopped playing Pot in Xrd.

Nope!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

What are the rules for taking turns back in GG? Can I just poke out of any string as long as my jab comes out fast enough?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

does your character have a good reversal?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm finally gonna get into Guilty Gear (and fighting games by extension).

I know this is obviously a bad decision.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

exquisite tea posted:

What are the rules for taking turns back in GG? Can I just poke out of any string as long as my jab comes out fast enough?

Normals can usually be cancelled into other stuff if they make contact, which can catch you mashing. Many specials tend to be minus but can often push you out of punish range on normal block. What really helps get you out of trouble are the defensive mechanics. FD can disrupt blockstrings by forcing stuff to whiff. IB greatly reduces pushback and can let you punish otherwise safe options. YRC (new dead angle) can stagger someone who has you in blockstun for 50% meter. You can also try backdashing or jumping out of some types of offense. In most cases if you can force a whiff it's unambiguously your turn, but if you're blocking stuff there is some RPS involved.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the best defense is to mash far slash from round start and never lose your turn.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I'm finally gonna get into Guilty Gear (and fighting games by extension).

I know this is obviously a bad decision.

same but it's a hollow vow, I say this to myself every time a new GG releases

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Irony.or.Death posted:

same but it's a hollow vow, I say this to myself every time a new GG releases

I'm fully prepared for the "those characters you like are all either the worst or the most complex in the game" foot to drop, but until then I'll enjoy my ignorance.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I was living in Toronto when accent core was big and played the poo poo out of it with me and my buddies. Xrd came out when I moved to the Canadian prairies and there wasn't a ton of gg players around and the netcode was poo poo, so I dropped it.

After playing with this netcode, I'm completely back in.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Real hurthling! posted:

the best defense is to mash far slash from round start and never lose your turn.

:hai:

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Real hurthling! posted:

This is me playing Sol. If I win the opening exchange I'm in with a fairly good chance of winning the round, if I don't I never seem to be able to get a hold of the other guy again! Especially if it's a Ky or Zato

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I've been playing nago a lot and my first move is almost always to blink away because I also mash slash sometimes and I've learned a few hard lessons. I also get a free hit if the other player goes for an attack since I can usually still reach them.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

She looks great and should have guessed she'd be the final character since it's so obvious in retrospect but they've played it so safe with the launch roster. Really hope we get Zappa back and maybe some other older characters (Robo-Ky would be fun) and then some more new ones? I hope they don't just settle for rounding out the roster with everyone missing from Xrd Rev 2.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

So I bought Xrd REV2 on deep discount to test it out and despite it being 80% off, I still feel like I got cheated, especially by all the people who totally insisted "GG has great tutorials!"

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
What do you not like about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

It just feels impenetrable. The basic tutorial is "press the left/right button to move left/right", then anything more advanced than that is just a total wall of jargon, inputs that feel like they have to be frame-perfect and stuff that feels like it just randomly happens sometimes.