Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Firstborn posted:

Anybody remember the e/n thread (might've been Reddit) where some goob moved to a new town and started using an Australian accent to kinda re-invent himself like The New Guy, then faced hardship as he started getting dates for being exotic?

I remember Aussies being real mad in that thread. Good times. We laughed at the idea of him having to use the fake accent with his wife 10 years on, but god drat, Kano did it.

I need to see this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Cythereal posted:

Mortal Kombat also has openly gay and bisexual characters now whose relationships are treated respectfully, which is better than a lot of long-running video game and movie series.

This is great and nice, but also incredibly funny. There was literally an Onion joke about this years ago. It’s cool that they’re inclusive in their murder ninja game.

feedmyleg posted:

I'd make a bad Mortal Kombat movie because I'd just structure the narrative like a low-stakes martial arts tournament 70s flick. One where most participants just so happen to die.

Obviously that’s where MK came from in the first place, right? Both it and Street Fighter were based on Enter the Dragon and Bloodsport? So, gently caress yeah. Sounds good.

I’d love to see an even more ludicrous magic fighting tournament movie, with even more incoherent lore than MK. So I’m waiting for a King of Fighters movie. Where Kyo must defeat his high school rival after Iori activates the blood of Orochi, and K’ must defeat NESTS in the tournament they’re hosting before they...clone more teenagers? For some reason?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
i looked it up because I could have sworn they made a King of Fighters movie and indeed they did. It's probably as distinctive as Dead Or Alive the movie

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Vince MechMahon posted:

I think it's his best movie since event horizon. It's paced well, it's got some fun action, and it doesn't even do the thing the resident Evil movies did where no one was allowed to be cooler than his wife.

Wait, Jovovich was supposed to be cool in those movies?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Alan Smithee posted:

I need to see this thread

All he ever does is ask if there is any shrimp on the barbie and for me to get him a Fosters, but, well, the sex is great.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Alhazred posted:

Wait, Jovovich was supposed to be cool in those movies?

The second movie is the most obvious one with this but yes. Every time Milla is not on screen on those movies you're supposed to ask where Milla is, then she shows up every time another character fails at something and succeeds. This is why the entire running joke about those movies is it's just Anderson getting the studio to make big budget jerk off material for himself, about his wife. She's hyper-competent, never fails, always gets to do the big cool thing that saves the day, and dresses sexy while doing it. Anderson directed the entire series with one hand under the table.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
At least it's his adult, consenting wife that's the subject. maybe that's just what gets them off, and if so, good for them to make a profit while doing so.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

At least it's his adult, consenting wife that's the subject. maybe that's just what gets them off, and if so, good for them to make a profit while doing so.

Oh yeah, more power to both of them. They both clearly like doing the movies, and despite the obvious flaws it's not like I don't own the 4k set of them. Monster Hunter avoids that particular issue anyway, like I said, by having Jaa be just as competent and important as her. So Anderson might also have a crush on Tony Jaa, but then again, who doesn't :swoon:

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

hollywood is so awful, it's actually incredibly wholesome to consider that Jovovich and Anderson gently caress while watching their own movies

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
In the commentary tracks I've heard her in, she sounds like she loves the whole asskicking hero thing.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

davidspackage posted:

In the commentary tracks I've heard her in, she sounds like she loves the whole asskicking hero thing.

The commentaries they're on together are almost entirely them just geeking out over the poo poo they get to do.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Brett Ratner is attempting to come back from being metooed due to rape, sexual assault, and sexual harassment with a Milli Vanilli biopic

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/times-up-brett-ratner-comeback-1234911868/

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Jovovich and Anderson crept up and became a long running successful b movie husband and wife team spanning three decades. Good for them.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vince MechMahon posted:

The second movie is the most obvious one with this but yes. Every time Milla is not on screen on those movies you're supposed to ask where Milla is, then she shows up every time another character fails at something and succeeds. This is why the entire running joke about those movies is it's just Anderson getting the studio to make big budget jerk off material for himself, about his wife. She's hyper-competent, never fails, always gets to do the big cool thing that saves the day, and dresses sexy while doing it. Anderson directed the entire series with one hand under the table.

Funny you bring up the second one, because that's one of the two that Anderson didn't direct. :v:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Timby posted:

Funny you bring up the second one, because that's one of the two that Anderson didn't direct. :v:

He still wrote and produced them!

Tars Tarkas posted:

Brett Ratner is attempting to come back from being metooed due to rape, sexual assault, and sexual harassment with a Milli Vanilli biopic

I would prefer if he did not.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Jovovich and Anderson crept up and became a long running successful b movie husband and wife team spanning three decades. Good for them.

Shame the on-set safety record isn't so wholesome.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

i looked it up because I could have sworn they made a King of Fighters movie and indeed they did. It's probably as distinctive as Dead Or Alive the movie

No. It's much, much worse.

Dead or Alive had magic glasses that made Eric Roberts the best at kung fu. I will remember that scene on my death bed.

Tars Tarkas posted:

I missed the original story but this is one of those very unsurprising ones. He was massively creepy for years and not even subtle about it.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Who is asking for a milli vanilla biopic? Should the actors be dubbed over too

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'm sure you could do some interesting things with a Milli Vanilli film & comparing their immense backlash to later groups featuring 'fake' artists that took off immensely.

I'd rather watch one that wasn't directed by Brett Ratner, though.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Neurolimal posted:

I'm sure you could do some interesting things with a Milli Vanilli film & comparing their immense backlash to later groups featuring 'fake' artists that took off immensely.

I'd rather watch one that wasn't directed by Brett Ratner, though.

I think the interesting movie would be about the real singers who were actually recording the poo poo. But yeah, not by Ratner.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The live action Sonic movie is on Prime so I finally got around to watching it. Its not bad, although if they kept the original design I'm sure it would have been much worse. I really don't know how that design made it all the way to a trailer without someone going "Hey, this is terrible!"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I've always guessed it the producer or director's pet idea that no one else was allowed say no to until the public backlash hit.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Vince MechMahon posted:

I think the interesting movie would be about the real singers who were actually recording the poo poo. But yeah, not by Ratner.

I feel like you can’t have one without the other. The guys who were the “faces” of Milli were interesting in their own right, using their faces and not their voices was a record exec idea that they reluctantly went with in pursuit of fame.

I think this script was a Black List script at one point, honestly the project sounds like a great idea but gently caress Ratner I hope they get him out of there

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I only remember the whole kerfuffle from reading about it (and a Muppets Tonight sketch) where the most interesting thing is how apparently they both reacted to getting caught out in completely different ways, with one just trying to go on like nothing happened (and probably would have gotten away with it) while the other bolted off the stage.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I only remember the whole kerfuffle from reading about it (and a Muppets Tonight sketch) where the most interesting thing is how apparently they both reacted to getting caught out in completely different ways, with one just trying to go on like nothing happened (and probably would have gotten away with it) while the other bolted off the stage.

I think if they both played it cool they could have gotten away with just saying the backing track hosed up. But yeah his reaction totally blew it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

A Mini Vanilli biopic is a pretty good idea but gently caress Ratner. It's ripe for a documentary.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I've always guessed it the producer or director's pet idea that no one else was allowed say no to until the public backlash hit.

From what remember while working on it, the design that led to the first first trailer was a combination of the director and Sega having conflicting requirements for the character. The director wanted him to be more animalistic and realistic, with early designs being more in the style of the Peter Rabbit movie from 2018. Sega wanted to make sure it still looked like their mascot character, so it was a tug of war to try to get Sonic the familiar features Sega wanted, while not looking "too cartoony". The end result was a compromise on all sides, which ended up not really working for anyone (especially the audience).

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"realistic" cgi cartoon characters in live action films are a sin against god. That whole fad is awful garbage and I'm glad movies died insofar as they killed that stupid poo poo along with it

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's not dead though. Tom and Jerry comes out this month.

Ok they're not realistic, but nonetheless.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The only time they did it right was detective Pikachu.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Detective Pikachu got a lot of backlash for the designs early on but they looked much better in motion, iirc.

I wouldn't be surprised Sega's demands aren't usually helping, since their general instructions for Sonic in licensed material is usually along the lines of 'I want everything in one bag but I don't want it to be heavy'.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Detective Pikachu also takes place in a fictional city in a fictional world, so there's no tired fish out of water humor. It's a more organic, lived in setting.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I do wonder how many Pokemon pitches Nintendo had to reject because they were all 'Kid from the real world is sucked into a world of Pokemon' or 'Pikachu is created by a scientist in a freak treadmill accident and they go to New York' or something along those lines.

Like, it actually makes sense for Sonic to a degree, in that Sega's never been able to make up their mind about his backstory so growing up on Earth works as well as any, and it even ties in the weirdness of Robotnik being the only consistent human in the franchise when he's literally not from the same world.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

The only time they did it right was detective Pikachu.

Which ironically shared a lot of the same VFX crew as Sonic.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I do wonder how many Pokemon pitches Nintendo had to reject because they were all 'Kid from the real world is sucked into a world of Pokemon' or 'Pikachu is created by a scientist in a freak treadmill accident and they go to New York' or something along those lines.

Probably not a ton - I remember hearing The Pokemon Company didn't really want to do a live action movie, which Warner Bros circumvented by getting the rights to a specific game, which wasn't developed by Game Freak. At that point, They kind of had to play ball in order to insure brand integrity, and were pretty hands on during the design approval process.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Robot Style posted:

Probably not a ton - I remember hearing The Pokemon Company didn't really want to do a live action movie, which Warner Bros circumvented by getting the rights to a specific game, which wasn't developed by Game Freak. At that point, They kind of had to play ball in order to insure brand integrity, and were pretty hands on during the design approval process.

That does explain a lot. I had heard Nintendo had been understandably burned super badly by how the Super Mario Bros movie turned into such an incomprehensible inexplicable mess, and while Game Freak you'd think would be more willing to work with media given the whole Pokemon anime and movies, they've seen how Hollywood usually treats video game movies, especially ones based on Japanese properties. Detective Pikachu is also probably an easier adaptation than the mainline games, being a more relatively self-contained story and less reliant on fight scenes.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

On the other hand, having to cg an entire Pokemon world probably cost a lot more than a generic Pikachu-comes-to-Earth script and may have hindered the success of the franchise.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Thing is you don't have to CG 'an entire Pokemon world', since a big part of the franchise's charm is that it tends to take place in fairly mundane and even recognisable areas with a few fantastic/sci-fi touches. A bit like Earthbound, which I don't think is a coincidence. It's just the Pokemon themselves that are the tricky bit, which Detective Pikachu deserves credit for absolutely nailing. Is interesting that they specifically established the whole trainer dynamic and then set most of the movie in a place that doesn't have it, and focuses more on Pokemon being integrated into everyday life.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I'm not a fan of the realistic Pokemon aesthetic they went for but there was no easy answer there.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the best that could have been done is to lift the 3D models directly from the recent games and stick them in next to the actors and just have them emote. A bright cartoony aesthetic would have worked fine but modern hollywood has a primal urge to make everything grimy and hairy and disgusting because they think it appeals to the 18-35 demo (instead of, you know, things that are pleasing to look at).

Robot Style posted:

Ah, well that explains why they both suck visually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I mean I wouldn't really describe the Pokemon in Detective Pikachu as grimy and hairy and disgusting.