Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

lobsterminator posted:

I stand corrected. I'm not into modern fighters!

True. It's really more when you get into the digital interfaces and nav systems and all that junk that you start “needing” keyboards. You can still hunt-and-peck with the mouse, of course, but if you ever want to start entering larger amounts and/or more complex data, a physical keyboard becomes really nice to have bound to the corresponding buttons.

I guess a lot of it also depends on how good the sim's pre-planning tools are — if you can just enter everything before you take off and load it into whatever storage the aircraft has in one go, then that takes some of it away as well. The thing about combat sims is that you often want to be able to deviate from the plan and enter completely new data out of nowhere, and given the size of those cockpits, a numpad of some form is commonly the way to do that.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Some spicy keyboard meltdowns in this thread.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

jammyozzy posted:

In keeping with the thread title, the latest MSFS world update broke the physics model a bit and now flaps generate twice the amount of lift as intended: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/flight-dynamics-bug-details/368499

The official solution right now is to edit each plane's flight_model.cfg and divide the lift_coef_flaps or lift_scalar value by 2. Premium aircraft can't be fixed and Asobo currently plan to fix it properly with next month's sim update.
Lol I bought the sim the day that update came out and let me tell you my approaches have been fun.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

Sapozhnik posted:

Oh, this explains a lot. I tried using the 747 for the first time yesterday and it ballooned by something like 1000 ft the moment I put the first stage of flaps out. Was approaching practically on idle by the time they were all deployed.

I thought something was wrong when I was doing 50 knot approaches in the 208

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Hey all, trying my hardest to get back into flight Sims, starting with the new MS Flight Simulator. I have the Thrustmaster Airbus joystick and it used to work just fine in other games (Elite Dangerous, SW: Squadrons)

I just built a new pc and now it seems the X axis /rudder is busted. In windows when looking at the joystick properties it appears twisting the joystick left is binary, either 0 or 100%. Twisting it right does nothing.

In MS flight simulator I can't pass the take off training section; using rudders is just wildly uncontrollable and the plane swings everywhere. I've tried uninstalling drivers, different USB ports with no luck.

Has anyone seen this before? I don't have any other flight games installed to test yet, but was curious if I was missing something obvious.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Aero737 posted:

I thought something was wrong when I was doing 50 knot approaches in the 208

Savage Shock Ultra can now take off just by pushing the throttle forward, all in all very satisfying

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Nuts and Gum posted:

I just built a new pc and now it seems the X axis /rudder is busted. In windows when looking at the joystick properties it appears twisting the joystick left is binary, either 0 or 100%. Twisting it right does nothing.

Did you try calibrating? https://www.howtogeek.com/241421/how-to-calibrate-your-gaming-controller-in-windows-10/ has some nice screenshots for reference.

It could also be broken, though.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

uvar posted:

id test it on any other pc to confirm this first tho

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

If it's just the rudder axis and it also happens on other machines, it might be fixable by taking apart the stick and going at the rudder potentiometer with some deoxit, if you're feeling handy and/or don't want to deal with warranty support (if applicable).

I've done this a couple times when the twist rudder on my T.16000m has started acting up. Disassembly/reassembly can be annoying, but it beats buying a new stick if you're out of warranty.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Worst case, you could just unbind the rudder axis from MSFS.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
I have a Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus edition, almost new. Its twist rudder had a lot of issues. Turned out there was globs of flux on the board where the wires to the rudder potentiometer connected. Cleaned it up with some isopropyl alcohol and it works now.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I had something similar happen to me before and calibration, which took 10 seconds, fixed it.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

uvar posted:

Did you try calibrating? https://www.howtogeek.com/241421/how-to-calibrate-your-gaming-controller-in-windows-10/ has some nice screenshots for reference.

I was looking everywhere for this last night. The stupid rear end Thrustmaster drivers remove the ability to calibrate, once I deleted all that poo poo suddenly this option reappeared and the x axis is fine!. For some reason MS FS captures my throttle gauge upside down. I guess thats a normal 'problem' since the game lets you invert it, but that still didn't fix it. I really expected this game and joystick to 'just work' and it's amazing how lovely the experience has been so far. Anyway I appreciate the feedback everyone, I can at least take off now! :classiclol:

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Nuts and Gum posted:

I was looking everywhere for this last night. The stupid rear end Thrustmaster drivers remove the ability to calibrate, once I deleted all that poo poo suddenly this option reappeared and the x axis is fine!. For some reason MS FS captures my throttle gauge upside down. I guess thats a normal 'problem' since the game lets you invert it, but that still didn't fix it. I really expected this game and joystick to 'just work' and it's amazing how lovely the experience has been so far. Anyway I appreciate the feedback everyone, I can at least take off now! :classiclol:
This is weird because I just plugged mine in and it worked. FS even had control profiles for it that mapped all the buttons to the right stuff.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
So I know it's cancer and like slapping Jesus on the cross and all that but the Logitech 3D is 150 dollars in my region and the T16000 is 350 USD+. It's not going to happen.

Does anyone have any tips on mapping IL2 1946 controls onto a gamepad? I heard the new IL2 game has mouse controls for scrubs like moi but that's also expensive in my region.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Det_no posted:

So I know it's cancer and like slapping Jesus on the cross and all that but the Logitech 3D is 150 dollars in my region and the T16000 is 350 USD+. It's not going to happen.

Does anyone have any tips on mapping IL2 1946 controls onto a gamepad? I heard the new IL2 game has mouse controls for scrubs like moi but that's also expensive in my region.

Shouldn't be any issue just going into the controls page and remapping to what you want

Both of these were done over the last week, using a PS3 controller + keyboard/mouse

Also the newer IL-2 game (and its expansions) also work well with a PS3 controller + kb/m. Or at the very least, I don't have many issues shooting down some grim reapers and flying the odd multiplayer server once a year.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 22, 2021

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Shouldn't be any issue just going into the controls page and remapping to what you want

I know but I mean more like what do you guys think would be the most important things to map to the gamepad since not everything is going to fit.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Det_no posted:

I know but I mean more like what do you guys think would be the most important things to map to the gamepad since not everything is going to fit.

My shoulder buttons don't work so I have to cope.

Ideally its:

Left Button - Throttle Down
Left Shoulder - Brakes

Right Button - Throttle Up
Right Shoulder - Engine Start/Stop

Since my buttons don't work I put that on my Dpad, so:

Dpad Up: Throttle Up
Dpad Down: Throttle Down

Forgot what I put on my left and right Dpads. If my shoulder-adjacents worked I'd probably have D-up and D-down be flaps or something else important.

Left stick is pitch and roll
Right stick is yaw

R-up: Bombs
R-right: Rockets
R-left: Machine Guns
R-down: Cannons

You should easily have both control stick "clicks" as potential options, start and select, and the two d-pad buttons to put in whatever you want.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Jobbo_Fett posted:

My shoulder buttons don't work so I have to cope.

Ideally its:

Left Button - Throttle Down
Left Shoulder - Brakes

Right Button - Throttle Up
Right Shoulder - Engine Start/Stop

Since my buttons don't work I put that on my Dpad, so:

Dpad Up: Throttle Up
Dpad Down: Throttle Down

Forgot what I put on my left and right Dpads. If my shoulder-adjacents worked I'd probably have D-up and D-down be flaps or something else important.

Left stick is pitch and roll
Right stick is yaw

R-up: Bombs
R-right: Rockets
R-left: Machine Guns
R-down: Cannons

You should easily have both control stick "clicks" as potential options, start and select, and the two d-pad buttons to put in whatever you want.

Oh I thought there would be a ton of buttons, neat. I messed around with it using a dualshock 4 and so far this is what I got (combining in-game settings and configuring my gamepad software):

Left and Right trigger: rudder (originally throttle was here but pressing and letting go of either trigger reset throttle to 55%, which seemed less than ideal).
Left shoulder: throttle down.
Right shoulder: throttle up.

Left joystick: pitch and roll.
Left joystick click: level automation.
Right joystick: camera (aka my mouse).
Right joystick click: center camera.

D-pad up and down: Flaps.
D-pad left: landing gear.
D-pad right: armored cowl flaps (I don't even know what these are so I could probably change these).

Face buttons: All the guns.

Select: open map.
Start: start/kill engine.

Touchpad left tap: Cockpit view.
Touchpad right tap: Chase cam (still debating what other camera to use).

Seems to work alright as a starting point. But if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
I got a weird problem that may need a magic solution. I get a weird hitch in FS2020. It will pause, go again, and then pause again for a shorter moment. It seems to happen in regular intervals. I am pretty sure it is not just normal loading of assets because I get the hitches they cause as well. Only custom software is Orbx's London scenery pack.

I've tried lowering to lowest settings, deleting rolling cache, disabling rolling cache, disabling online functionality, disabling hardware GPU scheduling, disabling gsync, vsync and low latency mode in Nvidia settings. I'm running on a high end system. Win10 obviously. Everything is updated to the hilt and working perfectly on other games.

This problem has persisted over multiple GPU driver, BIOS, Windows and FS2020 updates. Graphical intensity I believe is a factor because it does seem to happen more regularly if I'm in an airliner. However it has occurred in a basic cockpit on lowest settings flying in the wilderness. It's just frustrating enough to be an issue. The most annoying thing is how it's the same every time. If it was random hitches I could live with it.

My next step is to redownload and reinstall on a faster SSD (it's currently installed on an m2 drive, but pcie3, but I really don't think that's the issue).

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe
I absolutely adore this game. Every single flight is stunning. Even full 200 minimums foggy rainy approaches into Heathrow are amazing.

I'm RPing a Cessna CJ4 ferry flight from Kansas to Southampton (KICT Wichita - CYUL Montreal - CYQX Gander - BGSF Kandershfhdbshfjgndbhf, Greenland - EGPF Glasgae - EGHI Soton) and I'm having an absolute blast.

I've got the working title cj4, and all of the systems I'm using actually seem to work -- unlike the default aircraft (a32nx is sort of like this too) and the scenery is stunning. Navigraph charts on my tablet in front of me, flying RNAV approaches, ILSes, I've even done some needle nav with VORs although I can't claim to be amazing at it....

There's some quality of life stuff I hope they do, sure, but oh wow this sim has a good future ahead of it if they don't give up and massively downsize after the Xbox launch.

Anyone got any ideas about if the CRJ is gonna be a good quality tubeliner when Aerosoft releases it?

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

kalleth posted:

I absolutely adore this game. Every single flight is stunning. Even full 200 minimums foggy rainy approaches into Heathrow are amazing.

I'm RPing a Cessna CJ4 ferry flight from Kansas to Southampton (KICT Wichita - CYUL Montreal - CYQX Gander - BGSF Kandershfhdbshfjgndbhf, Greenland - EGPF Glasgae - EGHI Soton) and I'm having an absolute blast.

I've got the working title cj4, and all of the systems I'm using actually seem to work -- unlike the default aircraft (a32nx is sort of like this too) and the scenery is stunning. Navigraph charts on my tablet in front of me, flying RNAV approaches, ILSes, I've even done some needle nav with VORs although I can't claim to be amazing at it....

There's some quality of life stuff I hope they do, sure, but oh wow this sim has a good future ahead of it if they don't give up and massively downsize after the Xbox launch.

Anyone got any ideas about if the CRJ is gonna be a good quality tubeliner when Aerosoft releases it?

I had the Aerosoft CRJ7/9 for P3D. It was definitely a quality piece of software and I imagine their MSFS version will be just as good if not better.

It's a work in progress. Much of the development team has been busy with real life and other...projects. But they're still actively working on the CJ4. The goal is to make it study level eventually. Here's what next in the pipe.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

The WT CJ4 is probably the closest thing we have to a study level aircraft in MSFS2020...

...and it just keeps getting better.

Seriously, between their discord and how-to videos on Youtube, it's legit.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

JayKay posted:

The WT CJ4 is probably the closest thing we have to a study level aircraft in MSFS2020...

I like that it can do all the captain's announcements and briefings. Finally I can immerse myself into ferrying a couple of failsons to Fyre Festival

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

JayKay posted:

It's a real shame the Citation Longitude is hidden in encrypted files so modders can't easily get in there (the Garmin mods do somewhat improve things to be fair). Would love that 3500 NM range.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Shipon posted:

It's a real shame the Citation Longitude is hidden in encrypted files so modders can't easily get in there (the Garmin mods do somewhat improve things to be fair). Would love that 3500 NM range.

We have all the manuals and specifications, and actual CJ4 pilots on the WT team, there's plenty of information on the hundreds of CJ4s built, aside from it not being encrypted. The other problem with the Longitude is that only 33 have been built so far and only a handful of people (probably less than 100) are actually qualified to fly it. The modding community has no access to any information which makes it infinitely more difficult to accurately model any of the functions. It'll probably be some time before it's able to be any good or anything beyond a a basic, entry level aircraft.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm back at this after a few months away and I only now am getting the hang at load problem. Anyone else still dealing with this?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
A HOTFIX will be available today ~1600Z

General

Fixed the flaps issue that was introduced in World Update 3
Fixed the photogrammetry for Southampton and Portsmouth
Developer mode

Fixed Scenery Editor crashes when loading BGLs with Projected Meshes
Fixed BGL backward compatibility issue with light rows

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I wish they'd finally add a splashscreen, considering how long it takes for the game window/surface to even show up. You're never sure it started properly.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Combat Pretzel posted:

I wish they'd finally add a splashscreen, considering how long it takes for the game window/surface to even show up. You're never sure it started properly.

Yeah, I've seen the "the game is already running" dialog more than a few times.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Wait, wasn't the flap fix going to be in the march 4th world update? Which they've now delayed a week (along with the next update) so they can push this hotfix out earlier. From last week:

February 25th Dev Update posted:

Based on recent feedback from the community about the flaps issue that was introduced in World Update III, we decided to address the issue as quickly as we can and to publish a hotfix next week. As that will require thorough testing, we will be pushing back both Sim Update III and World Update IV by a week.
Did... they just push back their entire update schedule a week so they can fix the flaps two days sooner? :psyduck:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Wait, wasn't the flap fix going to be in the march 4th world update? Which they've now delayed a week (along with the next update) so they can push this hotfix out earlier. From last week:

Did... they just push back their entire update schedule a week so they can fix the flaps two days sooner? :psyduck:
Almost guarentee you it was already running late so the decision was to bundle up what was already working and important to start and end regression cycle early with the smaller scope instead of holding everything back.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

How big is Asobo? Doesn't really make sense to push the big update back for just this hotfix considering they've done hotfixes before and there haven't been any schedule issues with those. But what do I know.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I know this stuff is never as simple as it seems from the outside, but I am fascinated how it took so long to push an update for the flaps thing and why that necessitates delaying the next patch.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
From what I understood, the flaps thing is a SNAFU that happened because of some upcoming physics improvements, of which some stuff slipped into the World Update build. Someone git rebase gently caress up or whatever.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
"Well Fix A is really important so Content B is gonna get pushed out" is the oldest trick in the book. It's technically true because the test burden goes up by splitting them but (and really because of that last part) it's a decision not made until Content B is very clearly not going to make it's date.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

sigher posted:

How big is Asobo? Doesn't really make sense to push the big update back for just this hotfix considering they've done hotfixes before and there haven't been any schedule issues with those. But what do I know.

I imagine most of the testing happens at Microsoft, actually. Which last I checked is a pretty big company. They probably require the updates to go through some kind of time-consuming certification process (that never seems to find fundamental bugs anyway).

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

That's true, when Astroneer launched all of the Xbox updates were delayed about a week because Microsoft had to approve of them, so Steam users always got their updates first. With MSFS2020 using the same system on both Steam and Xbox/MS Store, you're probably right that it's just another update that MS has to approve.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Aren't the world updates still (bizarrely) still free downloadable content addons? Why would physics changes slip into that? Goddamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Less Fat Luke posted:

Aren't the world updates still (bizarrely) still free downloadable content addons? Why would physics changes slip into that? Goddamn.

There are accompanying patches that are forced downloads. The marketplace download is just the scenery and stuff. Everything else comes in the patch. here was the patch on the 16th:

quote:

PERFORMANCE AND STABILITY
Fixed various crashes across the title
Fixed a specific crash while using Little Navmap in Bush trip activities
WORLD
Several terrain spikes have been fixed, including incorrect cases of water elevation issues
Water masks have been updated across various locations in the world
Reduced the frequency of water artifacts appearing on cliffs
Noise issue affecting clouds has been fixed
VR
The ‘Activate/Deactivate VR’ button is now always displayed in the main menu (bottom left corner of the screen) when a VR headset is plugged in. If no controls are displayed on this button, then it means that no controls are bound to this action.
When the toolbar is opened, it does not block interactions anymore with other menus displayed in front of it.
The cursor doesn’t jump anymore when moving across the Options menu in the cockpit.
Gray boxes don’t appear anymore when using the ‘Travel to’ feature in VR.
After leaving VR mode, the sim window is no longer forced on top and the player can drag and drop any other window over it.
PLANES
Fixed induced speed calculation bug with bi propeller engines
Fixed the plane crash detection when landing on iced water with crash detection ‘ON’
Fixed swapped screens in DA62 TestPilot version
Fixed VS Knob Turn not working on the Airbus A320Neo
Improved flaps system of aircraft: Aircraft creators can now move the wing surface’s position and camber with each flap system at each flap level
Improved ground effect wing to ground interaction system to avoid pitch dip at rotation on some aircraft
NAVIGATION
Latest AIRAC cycle has been integrated and is now available
INPUT
CH ECLIPSE YOKE default preset have been added
Fixed Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant ENG 1+2 don’t start engines
Still negligent for something from the sim update to slip into here, but it shouldn't really be mind boggling that it's possible.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 3, 2021