Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

abelwingnut posted:

where are people at with 'a discovery of witches'? i watched the pilot, and it seems...a bit cheap? feels way more like a syfy pilot than something amc would put out. do the characters and story really go places from here?
I watched the first season as it aired and didn’t give enough of a poo poo to finish watching the premier of season two. It’s generic and forgettable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bou
Aug 3, 2006

WandaVision support!

As the posters above me said, i liked the sitcom-spoof take and the actors seem to have fun with it. I also liked the gradual turn to the sinister. I hope they keep on doing that unexpected stuff. The more baffled i was as i took a short peak into the showthread and saw people making GBS threads all over it.
I guess it helps enjoying the stuff as it is when you don't have too much background information (never read any comic, watched the movies on freetv once and honestly, most of them blend together in my head into one loud popcorn-explosion).

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

bou posted:

WandaVision support!

As the posters above me said, i liked the sitcom-spoof take and the actors seem to have fun with it. I also liked the gradual turn to the sinister. I hope they keep on doing that unexpected stuff. The more baffled i was as i took a short peak into the showthread and saw people making GBS threads all over it.
I guess it helps enjoying the stuff as it is when you don't have too much background information (never read any comic, watched the movies on freetv once and honestly, most of them blend together in my head into one loud popcorn-explosion).

I think the thread mostly enjoys WandaVision? Particularly the die-hards.

It's not doing much for me, but I thought the most recent episode ended strong.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Love it or hate it, you gotta admit that WandaVision isn't "just another Marvel thing"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Simone Magus posted:

Love it or hate it, you gotta admit that WandaVision isn't "just another Marvel thing"

It needs more military propaganda and hamfisted Christ imagery before I'm willing to consider it art.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lurdiak posted:

It needs more military propaganda and hamfisted Christ imagery before I'm willing to consider it art.

The Snyder cut is like three weeks away.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

IRQ posted:

Well, we aren't currently in danger of the golden horde burning our villages, so the current state of things is just marvelous and couldn't possibly be improved!

It’s been like twelve hours and I still can’t tell what you were actually going for. Were you advocating for just giving up? Saying humanity had a good run and we should all cark it? Say trying to make a vaccine is dumb and it’s game over?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The Snyder cut is like three weeks away.

I love how HBO Max is literally trying to convince people that it's an actual new film rather than a cut.

To be fair, a lot of people probably don't even remember it came out in the first place

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I never seen Iron Man 3, but just curious does it take place in LA at Christmas?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Simone Magus posted:

I love how HBO Max is literally trying to convince people that it's an actual new film rather than a cut.

To be fair, a lot of people probably don't even remember it came out in the first place

If you told 2007 me that a movie with Superman and Batman would gross less than an iron man movie I would say you were making poo poo up

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

nate fisher posted:

I never seen Iron Man 3, but just curious does it take place in LA at Christmas?

It starts in Southern California, but the majority takes place in Tennessee with the finale in Miami. It is winter time.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

If you told 2007 me that a movie with Superman and Batman would gross less than an iron man movie I would say you were making poo poo up

"Also, the Guardians of the Galaxy movie will be better Star Wars movies than th actual new Star Wars movies. Oh and the best comic book TV show will be about White Canary, Heatwave, Atom, Firestorm and Gary."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

swickles posted:

It starts in Southern California, but the majority takes place in Tennessee with the finale in Miami. It is winter time.

There's Christmas poo poo all over the place so yeah, it's a Shane Black movie.

And I love it. IM3 fuckin rules. Actually all three IM films fuckin rule. Best bad guys across the board.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about Mr. Mayor with Ted Danson? I literally just learned it exists at all.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Medullah posted:

"Also, the Guardians of the Galaxy movie will be better Star Wars movies than th actual new Star Wars movies. Oh and the best comic book TV show will be about White Canary, Heatwave, Atom, Firestorm and Gary."

“Also Black Panther will make a billion dollars”

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

MiddleOne posted:

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about Mr. Mayor with Ted Danson? I literally just learned it exists at all.

I watched the 7 episodes up on Hulu yesterday and it feels like a mix between 30 Rock and Parks&Rec. As someone who has watched both of those shows a million times over it feels incredibly comfortable and I can see it either lasting half a season or going for 7-9 years. The thing that sticks out to me the most is 72 year old Ted Danson having a 15 year old daughter, but that makes a little more sense when I remembered that it was originally pitched as a 30 Rock spin off with Jack as the mayor of NYC and his daughter would be around that age.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

MiddleOne posted:

It’s fun. Doesn’t set the world on fire, and it has a sadly short first season as it wraps up this week, but it hits the spot.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

“Also Black Panther will make a billion dollars”

Oh and 8 other films with those characters will make a billion each.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

It's A Sin, Russell T Davies' new miniseries about a group of friends living during the AIDS crisis, is on HBO Max right now

It's very good and powerful. I'd say even better than Years And Years

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Uh, if any of you have the iPhone 12 be careful. Mine just locked up and repeatedly called 911.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Arist posted:

Calling Thor 2 bad is accidentally implying it's more interesting than it is.

Also the last like, fifteen minutes or so are kind of great, somehow? It's weird.

I'm pretty sure the last 15 mins were created months before the movie shot, by pre viz people that are basically the codirectors of everg Marvel movie

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

I always felt like 3 had too much going on. They try to pack in far too many subplots at once and only partially succeed. One less villain or a more focused central plot would've done wonders for it, and randomly happening upon a kid with the perfect Iron Man Recovery Garage in the middle of nowhere is a bit too coincidental.

IM2 and Thor 2 get far more poo poo than either should. The self-contained plots weren't great and the villains are sort of uninspired, but a lot happened to further the overall MCU story in both than a lot of the other films. Hulk still sucks though.

IM3 was crippled by Perlmutter's incredibly late decision to not have the female interest be the baddie. The first 2 acts set up her as such, then she dies with a whimper, inexplicably

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Chris James 2 posted:

It's A Sin, Russell T Davies' new miniseries about a group of friends living during the AIDS crisis, is on HBO Max right now

It's very good and powerful. I'd say even better than Years And Years

Not sure what to take from this since I thought Years and Years was unbelievably terrible. At least he's going for a very serious topic this time so I assume his worst tendencies are kept in check.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 21, 2021

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Medullah posted:

"There will be a Doom Patrol show starring Brendan Fraser that's better than 99% of non-comic book shows."

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Uh, if any of you have the iPhone 12 be careful. Mine just locked up and repeatedly called 911.

geez you must have put it through something traumatic

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

feedmyleg posted:

geez you must have put it through something traumatic

And the cops are gonna show up, so make sure you get rid of the weed smell

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Simone Magus posted:

:what:

It literally is a new film?
The general outline is the same but the characters and subplots are new.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

FilthyImp posted:

:what:

It literally is a new film?
The general outline is the same but the characters and subplots are new.

quote:

People kept thinking ‘They went and shot so much more stuff!’ I go, we literally shot one scene. One additional. I shot three days here, that’s it. That’s what we captured.

And yet, it's just rearranging existing footage which is just a cut

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nope, nope, nope

One thing this thread is not doing is any kind of Snyder chat.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Azhais posted:

And yet, it's just rearranging existing footage which is just a cut
But most of that footage was pre-viz stuff (Flash and Kiersy Clemens' Iris) or just plan cut from the Jossticefilm (Stone's football stuff and Kal's post-resurrection plot).

They shot one new additional scene (Jokershit).

I'm not going to get into a discussion about the merits of the film or the movement or whatever. But just saying that "this is a director's cut" is a real blatant mischaracterization of what's going to be released.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The weirdest part of SnyderChat to me is that its been going for so long that its got its own language and frames of reference so every once and awhile I don't even know what people are talking about.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I mean, the Assembly Cut is still Alien 3. The Extended Editions are still Lord of the Rings. Unless you're doing a Ship of Theseus thing where you can't tell when exactly it becomes a different thing, it's just a different version of the same content.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

sticklefifer posted:

I mean, the Assembly Cut is still Alien 3.
Ok, for the sake of argument here:
Say Vincent Ward had filmed his Wooden Planet script and 3/4 of the way through, with photography done and VFX in the pipeline, was thrown off and Fincher came in with new shots, score, and FX.

Both films do the "Ripley alone on a planet that is hostile to her, with knowledge that she will die due to a facehugger egg".

Same film?

Shageletic posted:

IM3 was crippled by Perlmutter's incredibly late decision to not have the female interest be the baddie. The first 2 acts set up her as such, then she dies with a whimper, inexplicably
The original opening had Little Kid Tony sad on Christmas as his mom left the family. Would have had interesting effects on the MCU for Winter Soldier, I guess.

Man, I still can't believe they did Pepper dirty like that and had her be a dumb lovestruck dame when Killian drops in.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 22, 2021

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

sticklefifer posted:

I mean, the Assembly Cut is still Alien 3. The Extended Editions are still Lord of the Rings. Unless you're doing a Ship of Theseus thing where you can't tell when exactly it becomes a different thing, it's just a different version of the same content.

Exactly.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Just started in on Avenue 5. Zach Woods is solid gold in just about everything.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
It's a Sin is loving phenomenal

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm watching the Netflix show Barbarians and it's pretty awesome how the Roman soldiers are speaking Latin. I've never seen that before. I want to see a big budget HBO rome show in Latin.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Anyone else giving The Muppet Show a watch now that it's on Disney+, cause it's still really good

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

drrockso20 posted:

Anyone else giving The Muppet Show a watch now that it's on Disney+, cause it's still really good

Oh that dropped?? gently caress yes I know what I'm doing tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Simone Magus posted:

And the cops are gonna show up, so make sure you get rid of the weed smell

At least I live in a state where it’s relatively legal!

I managed to get it to stop, but final 911 call count was 589.