Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

I think 5 was mostly fine translation wise tbh, there were some rough parts but it wasn't hard to understand or awkward for half the game or anything.

e: oh royal improved stuff? idk then I havent played the original in awhile or more than once.

Hm... it sounds like you might have done a variety of things in hiding in your hometown, but you will behave yourself in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Terper posted:

Hm... it sounds like you might have done a variety of things in hiding in your hometown, but you will behave yourself in this thread.

That's one of the ones they fixed in Royal, thankfully. What a clunker of a line.

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns

Item Getter posted:

I'd be curious if PQ2 did anything about this specifically.

I forgot exactly how much is re-used in PQ2 of PQ1's battle system, but I do remember enjoying PQ2 more and thinking it was a better game.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

iirc jp (and eng) tatsuya sound pretty deep voiced and so does jp jun, so i guess this is just a persona tradition :v:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I dunno, Cherami Leigh (Makoto) is a pretty big anime "standard" anime voice-actress who I've been hearing since 2011 or 2012 because Fairy Tail. I love her performances but I don't think she's special compared to other dub VAs like the P3 and P4 crew. (Although it has to be said, Liam O'Brien has improved dramatically since those mid 2000 days. You look at P3 or his early Naruto work as Gaara and it's...not great.)

But thinking of Leigh and Makoto just reminds me how excited I was for Makoto. Everybody was. All sorts of talk about her being Best Girl before P5 came out. That didn't last long, at least on forums like this. I know she still does well in polls but I don't see that popularity reflected in the places I post.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I think the P4G dub is vastly superior to vanilla Persona 4. Some of the line readings/characters sound so flat. Chie in particular in Golden is much more in line with how I think the dialogue reads.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I dunno, Cherami Leigh (Makoto) is a pretty big anime "standard" anime voice-actress who I've been hearing since 2011 or 2012 because Fairy Tail. I love her performances but I don't think she's special compared to other dub VAs like the P3 and P4 crew. (Although it has to be said, Liam O'Brien has improved dramatically since those mid 2000 days. You look at P3 or his early Naruto work as Gaara and it's...not great.)

But thinking of Leigh and Makoto just reminds me how excited I was for Makoto. Everybody was. All sorts of talk about her being Best Girl before P5 came out. That didn't last long, at least on forums like this. I know she still does well in polls but I don't see that popularity reflected in the places I post.

I like Makoto a lot, though I also just have a lot of affection for all of the Phantom Thieves. I think she's still my favorite Joker romance option even in Royal. Somehow it just seems right narratively to pair them, maybe just because Makoto kind of steps into a co-lead role after she joins.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Feb 21, 2021

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Makoto's my fav, but I think a lot of people (myself included) were let down by her extremely lame s-link. It's also kind of weird how she takes over the group once she joins. I'd probably like haru the best if she had more time to develop, and the design of her thief outfit was better.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Harrow posted:

How is Persona Q2? I clearly love Persona and I also love Etrian Odyssey, but Q1 kinda lost me halfway through. I've heard Q2 is better, though?

I loved it. Infinitely better writing than the first one and a killer soundtrack. Criminally underplayed.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Does strikers have an adventure mode like hyrule warriors did?

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I loved it. Infinitely better writing than the first one and a killer soundtrack. Criminally underplayed.

I agree. Q2's plot is far superior to 1's, especially the big twist regarding the new characters in 1. School festivals are also just not as resonant to me as someone who went to high school in USA, so the movie themes of 2 are much more engaging to me, especially for a spin-off.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Huh, I actually found Q1 much better than Q2. Q2's theme felt constantly hammered in each dungeon, Q1 felt more like solving pieces of a puzzle. Q2 had much better balance, but Q1 had more fun interactions in the cast and has two kinda separate routes. Also Q2's cast is way, way too bloated, and no English VAing.

Both had good soundtracks though. Q2's opening theme is the standout and I like the P5's fight theme well enough, but PQ1's two regular battle themes are real earworms and I really liked Best Friends and Laser Beam.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Harlock posted:

I think the P4G dub is vastly superior to vanilla Persona 4. Some of the line readings/characters sound so flat. Chie in particular in Golden is much more in line with how I think the dialogue reads.

there is something weirdly charming about grandma Chie from P4 though

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

My secret Persona Shame is that I own the 3 versions of P3, the 2 versions of P4, Persona 5 + special Japanese Collector's edition of P5 I bought when I was in Tokyo

And I never played P2 for more than a couple of hours. I own it! Its on the Vita, which I pulled out the other day. It was just really old guys.

It's just so different from the others; the battles aren't incredibly engaging, the story stuff is good but doesn't have the full slice-of-life of Persona 3-5, and doesn't have the "world is ending" of SMT. I really like the story and characters but always get bored.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

tithin posted:

Does strikers have an adventure mode like hyrule warriors did?

Strikers is basically a Persona game that has you fight musou style when it comes to combat.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
The music girl has a really good slink compared to the drama's daddy issues but please don't date her.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I rewatched the Endurance Run a while back and was struck by how hosed up Old Chie's voice was.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Any chance that we get SMT V this year?

Also, I am of the firm belief that Atlus does not like making money, I've never seen so many games both mainline, spin-off, and sequels locked behind archaic ways to play them.

SMT1 & 2: both have good translations in emulation but nothing outside of Japan officially.
SMT If...: Good luck seeing this ever

SMT 3: Nocturne FEATURING DANTE FROM THE DEVIL MAY CRY SERIES: FINALLY getting a port to modern day devices.
SMT 4: Locked behind the 3DS which is now effectively dead.
SMT Apocalypse: Also locked behind 3DS

Persona 1 PS1, and stuck on PSP for an update
Persona 2: Innocent Sin - long trapped on Japanese PS1, finally redone and put on PSP BUT; Eternal Punishment, originally translated in English for PS1, but the remake, only on Japanese PSP. ((I THINK only Eternal Punishment was translated because of Hitler appearing in IS and that it dealt with adults, rather than high school students mostly summoning demons, can be wrong.))
Persona 3: Original version still only on PS2, FES: Updated game with a new dungeon that most find boring only on PS2, the mainline was eventually redone for PSP removing a bunch of walking around, and adding a new protagonist, but only on PSP still.
Persona 4: No complaints they did this one right by randomly putting it on PC! Also my favorite RPG since Chrono Trigger.
Persona 5: Has a version out there for the Switch in Japan, but only in Japan, (Edit: I'm a dumb idiot who smells of butt, there was no Japanese P5) and its sequel Strikers, is now out on everything but to understand the details of the story you have to play Persona 5 which is only on PS4.

There's a ton of spin off games I'm missing like Strange Journey, DemiKids, Last Bible, etc. but if Atlus/Sega would just bring them over I think I'd lose my mind.

I'm a huge fan of the concept of the entire series, I really want to get it more exposure but you gotta jump through a bunch of hoops if you want to play all the games.

Diabetic fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 21, 2021

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Diabetic posted:

SMT 3: Nocturne FEATURING DANTE FROM THE DEVIL MAY CRY SERIES: FINALLY getting a port to modern day devices.

The remake also does not feature Dante from the Devil May Cry series. It has Raidou instead.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
If... got a fan translation about two years ago. It's good!

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Cloacamazing! posted:

The remake also does not feature Dante from the Devil May Cry series. It has Raidou instead.

This party is getting reasonable and restrained.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Diabetic posted:

Any chance that we get SMT V this year?

They've said they're planning for a worldwide release in 2021 so the chances are pretty dang good.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Cloacamazing! posted:

The remake also does not feature Dante from the Devil May Cry series.

Dante from the Devil May Cry series is an overpriced DLC for the remake.

Diabetic posted:

Persona 5: Has a version out there for the Switch in Japan, but only in Japan

This isn't true, there is no Switch version of Persona 5 in Japan or anywhere. Maybe you're thinking of Strikers

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 21, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Smt1 did have an official version released on iPhone, that got removed when apple updated it.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Diabetic posted:

Persona 5: Has a version out there for the Switch in Japan, but only in Japan, and its sequel Strikers, is now out on everything but to understand the details of the story you have to play Persona 5 which is only on PS4.

There's a hee ho on the what now?

Srice posted:

They've said they're planning for a worldwide release in 2021 so the chances are pretty dang good.

And this was announced in the middle of the pandemic, so i'd like to think they were able to plan out their dev schedule without needing to delay the game past late 2021.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Item Getter posted:

Dante from the Devil May Cry series is an overpriced DLC for the remake.

This isn't true, there is no Switch version of Persona 5 in Japan or anywhere. Maybe you're thinking of Strikers

I must've been reading wrong, I swore up and down people were waiting for a port of P5 on Switch for over a year, but I'm guessing it was Strikers, my bad, and I've edited my post to acknowledge it.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Diabetic posted:

There's a ton of spin off games I'm missing like Strange Journey, DemiKids, Last Bible, etc. but if Atlus/Sega would just bring them over I think I'd lose my mind.

Strange Journey is mainline. And both it and the updated version on 3DS are already officially released outside of Japan. You can even buy the 3DS version digitally. So it's easy to get for cheap during their sales, instead of paying ridiculous second-hand prices.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm hoping that the 25th anniversary announcements include a bunch of ports of the older games, especially to Switch and PC. At the very least it seems like a very obvious move to port P4G to Switch.

What I'd love would be an English translation of Persona 2: Eternal Punishment PSP and then port the Persona 2 duology to Switch or something like that, but that seems a bit less likely than ports of versions of 3, 4, and 5.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I added this to the post below the OP. Anyone else have any tips to add? (Updated)

Harrow posted:

Life Sim Tips and Tricks

As stated before, the mainline Persona games after Persona 3 feature prominent life sim elements where you follow a daily schedule, attend school, and develop relationships with both your party members and other people around the game's setting. The time management and time limits can seem to be stressful at first, so this section has some tips to help you manage it.
  • Don't stress about maxing everything on your first playthrough. While it is always possible to max all of the social links or confidants in a single, fresh playthrough, it is often very demanding and not at all what the game expects you to do. I strongly recommend that you avoid using a guide for your first playthrough and just enjoy your time, hanging out with the characters you care about and enjoy most.
  • Time only passes when you take specific actions. Generally, each day is divided into two blocks for daytime and evening. Only specific actions will cause time to pass, like hanging out with a social link/confidant, working a part-time job, or going into a dungeon. You'll usually be told before you do something that will cause time to pass. There's no real-time time limit and things like traveling around the town or shopping never take actual time.
  • Don't neglect your social stats. Your protagonist has social stats like Knowledge and Charm that have no effect in battle but are important for the life sim side of the game. Many social link/confidant scenes require certain social stat ranks, and sometimes getting a stat high enough can unlock other benefits, like shops or other gameplay features. There are always multiple ways to increase each stat and it's a good idea to try a variety of them.
  • Try to be a good student. Knowledge (or Academics in Persona 3) will let you get good grades on your exams. Placing in the top 10 will give you bonus points towards school-based social links/confidants and a multiplier on point gains with them until the next exam. Studying pays off!
  • Prioritize your party member's social links/confidants in Persona 4 and 5. Starting in Persona 4, increasing your social link ranks with your party members also grants those party members new abilities, with a major upgrade at rank 10. If you're concerned about time, it's always a good idea to max out your social links/confidants with your party members.
  • In Persona 5, the Fortune and Temperance confidants help a ton with time management. While it can still be tricky, it's easier in Persona 5 to max every confidant specifically because of the perks the Fortune and Temperance confidants can offer. Fortune lets you pay money to boost your social stat gains at rank 1 or your relationship points with any confidant you want once you reach rank 5, while Temperance at rank 10 will let you take extra actions in the evening after you've been dungeon crawling, which you normally can't do. Prioritizing these two can help you maximize your time.
In Persona 4 Golden and Persona 5 Royal, there are new social links/confidants that unlock bonus content if you max them out by a certain in-game date. As a spoiler-light tip, if a social link/confidant has a major arcana that falls outside the normal Rider-Waite tarot deck, they are a new social link/confidant that was added for a rerelease and have at least something interesting if you max them out. For more specific recommendations, the social links/confidants that unlock new content or are missable in each rerelease are:
  • Persona 4 Golden - Aeon social link, must be rank 10 before you defeat the boss of the December dungeon. Another new social link, Jester, is also worthwhile and can be missed.
  • Persona 5 Royal - Councillor confidant, must be rank 9 by November 17; there are also two other new confidants that are missable and worthwhile: Justice and Faith. These aren't required to unlock the new content but are interesting and can be missed.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 21, 2021

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Two notes: First, you might want to include Faith and Justice for Royal, because those don't block off progression but are good and also missable.

Second, you can do Aeon through all of December in P4G. It's available literally every single day that month to facilitate that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Arist posted:

Two notes: First, you might want to include Faith and Justice for Royal, because those don't block off progression but are good and also missable.

Second, you can do Aeon through all of December in P4G. It's available literally every single day that month to facilitate that.

Oh right, it's not December 3, it's before defeating the December dungeon's boss. I'll update that.

I also added Justice and Faith, and a general recommendation to prioritize party member social links in P4 and 5.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 21, 2021

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Something I didn't know until recently is that getting a good result in the exams not only gives you charm and some social link points, it also gives you a multiplier for all (school?) social links points until the next exam week.

quote:

The protagonist's performance in an exam will grant a boost to specific Confidants until the next exam week: if the protagonist scores 1st place, the multiplier will be x1.5, if top 10, it'll be x1.2.
https://megamitensei.fandom.com/wiki/Confidant#Confidant_Points

While it'd be pretty hard to ace the first exam, getting into the top 10 is easy-ish if you focus on knowledge for a little while.

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 21, 2021

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Harrow posted:

I added this to the post below the OP. Anyone else have any tips to add?

This is incredibly handy and something I wish I read before starting Royal!

Oh well, will be keeping all this in mind whenever I start P4:G.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lunar detritus posted:

Something I didn't know until recently is that getting a good result in the exams not only gives you charm and some social link points, it also gives you a multiplier for all (school?) social links points until the next exam week.

https://megamitensei.fandom.com/wiki/Confidant#Confidant_Points

While it'd be pretty hard to ace the first exam, getting into the top 10 is easy-ish if you focus on knowledge for a little while.

That's a good tip, too. Added it (and updated the quoted version on this page for reference).

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

lunar detritus posted:

Popularity equals intimacy!

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
re: persona 4 chat, Ai Ebihara is criminally underrated IMO.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ai is great, I love how if you agree to date her when she's in the middle of a breakdown she breaks up with you at the end of her Link.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The P4 anime has some fun with that social link in one of the early episodes.

In general the P4 anime does a great job adapting social links into episode-specific arcs, often by mashing them up so they end up interacting in ways they don't in the game.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Harrow posted:

Welcome... to the Velvet Room.

Phew. The right description!

quote:

Persona 5 Royal is an expanded rerelease that features new places to visit, new activities, new characters, and an entirely new story arc that takes place after the end of the original game.

It's worth commenting that P5R also has a lot of quality of life improvements, including a much more interesting tactical combat system thanks to baton passes and an increased focus on technicals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

After playing Fire Emblem Three Houses, I really hope Atlus adds scenes between characters without the MC in the future. It doesn't even need to have as many ranks as the normal social links, just three or four "levels" would be enough to add a ton of characterization.