Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Eclipse12 posted:

Incoming BIG WrestleMania IX post

Thank you for your service. :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Rarity posted:

Adam is an anxious millenial cowboy

I dare anyone to come up with a worse gimmick than "anxious millennial cowboy". Wait never mind I just remembered like twenty much worse gimmicks.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Prof. Crocodile posted:

I dare anyone to come up with a worse gimmick than "anxious millennial cowboy". Wait never mind I just remembered like twenty much worse gimmicks.

Could be worse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64rje_22I5k

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Rarity posted:

Hi everyone please let me introduce you to my friend Adam Page

Not only does Adam Page have the best long-running storyline in wrestling these days, but he's also a great take on being an alcoholic in wrestling. For years, there have mainly been two kinds of drinking gimmicks. On one hand, you have guys like Steve Austin, James Storm and the APA who get drunk as hell and it's celebrated how cool they are. Then you have guys like Hawk and Scott Hall, who show up drunk and it's treated as this horrible, sad, self-destructive thing. Mainly because wrestling promoters are terrible and decide that that's the best way to handle it when wrestlers have a real life drinking problem.

Hangman is both of those gimmicks concurrently. Before the pandemic, he would regularly drink whatever beer was handed to him by a nearby fan. In the ring, he was the cool, beer-drinking badass. Outside of the ring, it was destroying his life and killing all of his relationships. And that just caused a cycle of even more drinking.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Eclipse12 posted:

Incoming BIG WrestleMania IX post [maybe tomorrow]

:sickos:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
https://twitter.com/tde_gif/status/1363005921169842180

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Anxious millennial cowgirl?

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

WRESTLMANIA REPORT April 04, 1993

Welp! You didn't ask for it! A lot of you didn't want it! Some of you hate it! But it's time for Wrestle! Mania! 9!

Caesar's Palace, outdoor venue, elephants in captivity, huge crowd, Macho Man Randy Savage, what's not to love? (the third one)

First match: Intercontinental Championship of Shawn Michaels versus Tatanka. Luna and Sensational Sherri are here too. If one of these two DON'T interfere, I'll eat my hat.

Michaels is such a ham. Is there a wrestling term for overreactive?

At this point, put me squarely in the Tatanka fanboy club. He's great.

Lotta downtime in this match where not much is happening. Oddly dull considering who's fighting.

The match eventually heats up but ends on a giant wet fart when Michaels loses the bout but retains his belt. Luna and Sherri don't interfere after all, but as expected, Sherri still ends up getting her rear end kicked.

Match 2! Steiner Bros!!! Please don't let me down!

Something I'm noticing often in this era is the weird ebb and flow of the matches. Instead of an even back-and-forth that looks like it did go either way, a wrestler will spend 10 minutes getting their rear end kicked with almost no retaliation, then suddenly come back to full energy and begin dominating. I mean, I know it's common in wrestling in all eras, but it's SO often here.

Update: We are hearing that Sherri is still getting her rear end kicked in the medical tent. [Editor's note: They never show it and this will never become relevant for the remainder of the event]

Steiners win an okay match, but they've had better. Scott botched the Frankensteiner at the end but who cares.

Match 3: Crush vs Doink. The entire world prays for a clown to get its rear end whooped.

Okay, I'm gonna double-or-nothing on my previous hat eating statement. If Doink doesn't blatantly cheat, I'll eat two hats. If he does, I don't have to eat any hats at all.

Crush tries to squish Doink's coconut. Fans rejoice.

Well, now there are two Doinks. And they cheat. And they win. And I don't gotta eat no hat.

Oh, I don't like this. For the first and only time ever a second ref comes in to try and actually fix a cheated match but if course it doesn't work. But it suggests refs CAN come in from outside the match and fix a poor call, but just choose not to in every other match that's ever existed. Immersion ruined.

Match 4: Razor Ramon fights Little Rascals alumni Bob Backlund.

They like to make jokes about Bobby's age, but Hulk and Savage and a whole lot of others are in their 40s too, so... yeah...

That said, for a 43-year-old, doughy, pasty, old school grappler, Backlund has some legit strength and stamina. I mean, he had no chance in hell of winning against Razor, but still, my uneaten hat is off to him.

Match 5: Shockingly, Hogan's tag team match is NOT the headliner.

Is there any, and I mean, any chance that Hogan loses this match? They've built up Money Inc to be mega-heels who need comeuppance, Hogan is back from hiatus, Brutus is also in a comeback, Jimmy Heart has turned on DeBiase, and it's WrestleMania. I'll eat an entire Lids if the Mega Maniacs lose.

I know Hogan is a giant rear end in reality, but you can't help but get caught up in Hulkamania when the song is playing and the shirt is ripping and fans are screaming and it's just so beautiful I swear I'm gonna say my prayers and take my Ico Pro, I promise.

It really is hard to argue with the pedigree of wrestlers in this match, I'll say that. Hulk looks rusty, though, and isn't really landing his hits. He also has a weird face injury that may or not be from a real-life incident? Guy's face is legit jacked.

Money Inc exploits sports' biggest loophole by deciding to just leave the match but keep their title.

Oh, so NOW you'll lose your title if you just quit? I have some strong opinions about this. Money Inc comes back to the fight and begin cheating more than a Detroit Lions game.

Referees are just being giant goobers. Again, it's a wrestling trope, but this era is rough with it.

Brutus loses Occam's Protective Facemask.

Hole. E. poo poo. Mega Maniacs... lose??? On a weird disqualification, but still... I guess I appreciate that about wrestling I suppose. Outside of pump-up fights with jobbers, you really never know for sure how a match might end, even if it's just due to BS.

Hogan steals Money Inc's briefcase money and gives it to the people. Redistribution of wealth from the elite to the masses? Colors of yellow and red? Communism has infiltrated the highest levels of Hulkamania.

Match 6: Mr. Perfect fights his doppelganger, Narcissist Lex Luger.

ANOTHER match lost due to ref inadequacy???

Oh, but wait! Backstage action! It's like a cold beer, hot pizza, or birthday cake. We all love it. A good backstage brawl makes life worth living. But like so many good things, it's all too short.

Match 7: Grudge match! Undertaker takes on Giant Gonzalez! I don't care, I love the spectacle of this big-rear end sumbitch. And if your hair doesn't stand on end when you hear Undertaker's music come on, then YOU'RE the dead man.

Giant Gonzalez looks like he's having a lot of fun out there. Good for him! :)

Okay, was NOT expecting Giant Gonzalez to use a chloroform rag in the fight. That's outta left field.
And ANOTHER match ends in a ridiculous way. At some point you just lean into it. The main event will probably decided via dance off (which would be SWEET).

Come on, Undertaker! Get back up and kick his giant rear end!

Yes! He's back! Undertaker comes back and gives Gonzalez the business!

What's this? Hogan is challenging the winner of tonight's title match! I guess he can do that!

Here it is, folks. Hart "The BretHit" Man vs six ton Yokozuna. Title is on the line!

This is a good fight. Solid match. Both guys are really on their game. Very clean.

Yokozuna has a hell of a gas tank for a guy that big. You think he'd be wheezing for air within five minutes.

Hart tries the sharpshooter but gets an eye full of salt for his troubles and yet another match ends in Dumb.

But here's Hogan! And Yokozuna wants the Hogan fight right now! And only seconds later, Hulk has won! He's got the belt! The crowd loses its mind! Hot drat! I'm also calling that a win on my hat-eating challenge! We're done folks!

Eclipse12 fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 21, 2021

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
what in the gently caress was wrong with Hulk Hogan's eye :psyduck:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Code Jockey posted:

Amazing AV/post combo here.

I forget the reason for Hogan's eye, but the rumor was that Savage got in a legit fight with him the night before.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Code Jockey posted:

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

lol

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/amp/wwe/news-reason-wwe-legend-allegedly-punched-hulk-hogan-face-real-life

Jim Cornette said:

“Savage found out that Elizabeth had run off to Hogan’s house and was staying with Linda [Hulk Hogan’s ex-wife] because Linda and Elizabeth were friends, and Hogan didn’t tell Savage that she was there, which is why when Savage confronted him with that, he confronted him by punching him in the f***ing eye. And that’s why Hogan had a black eye at WrestleMania 9.”

Hogan said:

Speaking to AXS TV in 2011, Hulk Hogan claimed that the black eye was caused in a jet ski accident one day before WrestleMania. He broke his orbital socket and required over 100 stitches under his skin. In order to receive clearance, Hogan said he told the commission doctor that the injury was part of a storyline involving Randy Savage. The doctor allegedly believed Hogan and cleared him to compete.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

e: beaten

Code Jockey posted:

On the show they claim that Money Inc. hired goons to beat up Hogan the night before, although that somewhat begs the question of why said hired goons aren't now fighting for the tag titles

Hogan claims that it was a jet ski accident which fractured his orbital bone, although he is, as established, a lying liar who lies (the part where he convinces an honest-to-god doctor to sign him off as medically cleared by pretending that hosed up mess of an eye is make-up for a storyline seems particularly sus)

Jim Cornette claims that Elizabeth had fled Macho Man (who was kinda legit nuts and coked out of his mind) and had been invited by Linda Hogan to stay with her and Hulk, and when Savage found out about this he punched Hogan in the eye (although Cornette wasn't personally at Wrestlemania IX as far as I'm aware)

only you can decide

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Eclipse12 posted:

Caesar's Palace, outdoor venue, elephants in captivity, huge crowd, Macho Man Randy Savage, what's not to love? (the third one)

I loved Luna Vachon so much. She slapped my hand at an event when I was like 10, and I was so happy :allears:

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Eclipse12 posted:

Come on, Undertaker! Get back up and kick his giant rear end!

Yes! He's back! Undertaker comes back and gives Gonzalez the business!

I know this event sucked hard boiled eggs overall but that's legitimately one of my favorite Taker entrances with the vulture on the chariot. And Macho Man screaming 'YOU CANT KILLS WHATS ALREADY DEAD' when Taker stumbles back out, I never cared about Hogan so much but Taker was the man

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Fun Giant Gonzales fact: he was originally supposed to be the Yeti ("THE YET-AY") in WCW who'd be thawed from a block of ice by the Dungeon of Doom. Which was not the stupidest thing that happened in a year where Hogan & Savage fought a three-tier cage match against the President from the Fifth Element and The Ultimate Solution, who was originally going to be named The Final Solution before one of Turner's Standards & Practices guys picked up that piece of paper and presumably physically threw himself across his desk to get to the telephone. Or where Hogan and the Giant had a monster truck sumo match on top of the arena that resulted in Giant falling to his death before later showing up for the main event with no explanation.

Gonzalez ended up getting sick and going back to Argentina, but since they'd already promoted the character, they wrapped Ron Studd/Reese/Super Giant Ninja in bandages with the idea that they could "unwrap" him later to reveal Gonzales. This is why the Yeti, from the Himalayas, is somehow also a mummy, from Egypt. Who teams up with Giant to give Hogan a group hug.

Gonzales did not, in fact, return to the US to take up this gimmick

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Eclipse12 posted:

Update: We are hearing that Sherri is still getting her rear end kicked in the medical tent. [Editor's note: They never show it and this will never become relevant for the remainder of the event]

There exists photographic evidence:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

FullLeatherJacket posted:

e: beaten

On the show they claim that Money Inc. hired goons to beat up Hogan the night before, although that somewhat begs the question of why said hired goons aren't now fighting for the tag titles

Hogan claims that it was a jet ski accident which fractured his orbital bone, although he is, as established, a lying liar who lies (the part where he convinces an honest-to-god doctor to sign him off as medically cleared by pretending that hosed up mess of an eye is make-up for a storyline seems particularly sus)

Jim Cornette claims that Elizabeth had fled Macho Man (who was kinda legit nuts and coked out of his mind) and had been invited by Linda Hogan to stay with her and Hulk, and when Savage found out about this he punched Hogan in the eye (although Cornette wasn't personally at Wrestlemania IX as far as I'm aware)

only you can decide

I like Macho Man the character, but Randy Poffo was creepy-possessive with Elizabeth.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Fun Giant Gonzales fact: he was originally supposed to be the Yeti ("THE YET-AY") in WCW who'd be thawed from a block of ice by the Dungeon of Doom. Which was not the stupidest thing that happened in a year where Hogan & Savage fought a three-tier cage match against the President from the Fifth Element and The Ultimate Solution, who was originally going to be named The Final Solution before one of Turner's Standards & Practices guys picked up that piece of paper and presumably physically threw himself across his desk to get to the telephone. Or where Hogan and the Giant had a monster truck sumo match on top of the arena that resulted in Giant falling to his death before later showing up for the main event with no explanation.

Gonzalez ended up getting sick and going back to Argentina, but since they'd already promoted the character, they wrapped Ron Studd/Reese/Super Giant Ninja in bandages with the idea that they could "unwrap" him later to reveal Gonzales. This is why the Yeti, from the Himalayas, is somehow also a mummy, from Egypt. Who teams up with Giant to give Hogan a group hug.

Gonzales did not, in fact, return to the US to take up this gimmick

The NWO angle ended up causing a lot of problems in WCW but man was it better than most of WCW angles before it.

Bogus Adventure posted:

I like Macho Man the character, but Randy Poffo was creepy-possessive with Elizabeth.

Watch the Dark Side of the Ring for the full and horrible details of their relationship.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

How the Billy and Chuck storyline should have ended

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The only good thing about Billy and Chuck's wedding was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYKTV-n92pE

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Is this what people mean when they say that Vader was good when he was in Japan?

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Still a better ending for the Billy and Chuck storyline

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Surprised no one's told the thread about Orange Cassidy yet

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

MakaVillian posted:

The NWO angle ended up causing a lot of problems in WCW but man was it better than most of WCW angles before it.

the only thing I've never been able to piece together is exactly who Reese pissed off backstage that they had nothing for a guy who was legit seven feet tall other than being an ice mummy or hanging around with Raven and Sick Boy

I started watching the nWo Nitros in order when lockdown started, and boy it's the coolest thing in the world for about six months (plus the undercard features about a dozen hall-of-famers), but then good god it just goes on forever and every single goddamn title match ends with fifteen dudes running down to administer a heavy sack beating on the babyface until all that's really been established is that your world title is meaningless and your babyfaces are morons

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

MakaVillian posted:

the early 90s had a brief period where it was good, then Hogan and his hangers-on came and Kevin Sullivan devised the Dungeon of Doom storyline to placate him

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

I started watching the nWo Nitros in order when lockdown started, and boy it's the coolest thing in the world for about six months (plus the undercard features about a dozen hall-of-famers), but then good god it just goes on forever and every single goddamn title match ends with fifteen dudes running down to administer a heavy sack beating on the babyface until all that's really been established is that your world title is meaningless and your babyfaces are morons

Agreed. Nitro was my go to show until they started splitting the nWo up into the factions

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

the early 90s had a brief period where it was good, then Hogan and his hangers-on came and Kevin Sullivan devised the Dungeon of Doom storyline to placate him

I was looking up Bischoff and I forgot how soon they gave him so much power.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I've been watching 1992 WCW and it's hilarious seeing Eric Bischoff pre-nWo days as a suited dork

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

was a shame about Rick Rude's neck injury, I loved him as a bad guy in 92 WCW. That heel stable had Paul Heyman as a mouthpiece, Rick Rude, Steve Austin, Arn Anderson and Bobby Eaton, it was great.

Also Larry Zbyszko.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

wrestling sucks

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
let's go wrestling

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

JOHN CENA posted:

wrestling sucks

:eyepop:

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

JOHN CENA posted:

wrestling sucks

Then go start your own not-wrestling thread, IDIOT.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

JOHN CENA posted:

wrestling sucks

John Cena never said that

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Brock lesnar giving Braun strowman a receipt -- Sometimes a wrestler goes a bit excessive with force (usually because they're a rookie or excited or whatever), and then the receipt is when the other wrestler 'checks' them so they settle down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLvaiZEFQo0

frankenfreak posted:

let's go wrestling

this is a clever post and you are valued

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

JOHN CENA posted:

wrestling sucks

FALSE

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

I did wrestling, it's fun!

I got trained in like 1999 and wrestled about 300 matches or so

I had a pretty memorable first match when I started wrasslin but sadly no video

http://cautionlowflyingwords.blogspot.com/2021/01/how-i-met-necro-butcher.html

I'm "Flame" in this match up
https://youtu.be/sVOcgjj_e_4

https://youtu.be/kagDguycpdg
(volume warning on these)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

I just remembered that when Hulk Hogan recounts stories of his time as "Hollywood" Hulk Hogan, he claims that everyone referred to him as "Wood" like

"I had all the top guys at the WWF calling me, they were telling me 'Wood, what you guys are doing with the NWO over there is revolutionizing the business, brother' "