Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Real hurthling! posted:

Its also named for a rightwing poo poo lord

yeah, aren’t you playing as like Palmer Luckey’s fursona?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

pictured: Super Lucky’s Tale

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Barudak posted:

Fall Guys is the hit game of a 230 person studio. I don't think they were that big during initial development (like 30 people although that number ballooned near the end) but they're not some scrappy 5 people in a garage operation.

Like SUNKOS said, you'll get most of the benefits doing that but not all. I cant imagine not just keeping the games Im currently playing on the internal but iirc you're only missing another 20% load time savings not keeping it internal assuming you have ssd.

Iff you have a non SSD harddrive you're missing out on 50%+ of the total loading time savings doing it this way.

Edit: I wonder if Wario64 will let me know if Japan ever gets another shipment because Im not spending the 850 bucks scalpers want for another one.

Perfect, that's what I wanted to know. I bought a 6tb drive for my games so I'll just swap stuff I want to load faster to the main drive.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ok Comboomer posted:

Yes

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

His Fursona being a toddler fox explains a lot.

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

Ok Comboomer posted:

lol, i never read the caption on that cover before. I just thought it was some random dweeb.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Fuser is on a free weekend and it is incredibly fun.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Asnorban posted:

I have it on the Switch. I like it a lot but drat could it use some touch screen controls, particularly with the instrument stuff

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Ok Comboomer posted:

Could you have not at least worn socks for your loving Time magazine cover

Barudak
May 7, 2007

enojy posted:

Fox in (no) Soxs

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

enojy posted:

no are you kidding, you know the kind of socks a 22yo dude who looks like that wears?

TIME made him take the socks off

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cant wear socks on the trampoline or you slip and break your face in the headset.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’M LIKE A BIIIRD I’LL ONLY FLY AWAAAY

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Am I the only one that thinks VR is stupid? The technology has been around for decades. Murder, She Wrote had an episode about VR for Christ's sake, and it's hardly gone anywhere. I played a VR arcade machine in the 90's and it sucked. It was like, "Miss I don't think the headset is on right. Miss it doesn't seem to be working" then bam, it was over.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Lammasu posted:

Am I the only one that thinks VR is stupid? The technology has been around for decades. Murder, She Wrote had an episode about VR for Christ's sake, and it's hardly gone anywhere. I played a VR arcade machine in the 90's and it sucked. It was like, "Miss I don't think the headset is on right. Miss it doesn't seem to be working" then bam, it was over.

Idk I think it’s gone a bit farther since then

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Asnorban posted:

I hope this free weekend boosts sales because I want them to release DLC forever ala Rock Band.

The controls do suck with a controller, but the community for the most part seems to have begun favoring mixes that are more or less steady four-tracks with some degree of effects applied. You can definitely get schizo and glitch-hop the poo poo out of stuff if your fingers are nimble enough, but it’s easy (dexterity-wise) to create really good sounding stuff with a pad.

I play it every single night and am constantly amazed at the variety of music one can make with the hundred-something tracks released this far.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Lammasu posted:

Have you tried VR more recently than 30 years ago?

I have a first-gen Vive and, while VR is hard to recommend to most people for cost and space reasons, I think games like Superhot VR and Half-Life Alyx are some of the most memorable experiences I've had in video games since playing Super Mario 64 for the first time.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Lmao thinking vr peaked with the lawnmower man

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Wake me up when there's holodeck tech.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Lammasu posted:

Try a Quest sometime. Completely untethered, standalone VR is really, really awesome; the current issue is the thing is pretty underpowered so you don't have stuff like Half Life Alyx that can run on it but imo the only real future for VR is the wireless, lower pricepoint stuff.

For me VR games have a couple of distinct types

1. Social games like VR chat and rec room. I can't explain it but when you're walking around in VR you are way more likely to sit down and have a normal conversation with a complete stranger. You disassociate a bit, it's quite cool. Very dystopian future. Can be done outside of VR but there's a pretty big difference in effectiveness imo.

2. Games that want to overload your senses - Beat Saber, Rez Infinite, Tetris Effect. These take advantage of the fact that you're totally isolated from the real world to replace all your senses at once with another experience. Rock Band is cool when you hear songs you like, Rock Bane gets ratcheted up to another level when you are flying through space smashing blocks with your hand in time to music. These can be done outside of VR but lose a lot of the impact, I played Rez with and without VR and its almost a different game.

3. Ultra-Immersive experiences that are unlike anything else in gaming, like Half Life Alyx. Unfortunately these need a decent headset and PC to run but they imo give you a gaming experience you cannot get from playing a game with a controller or mouse and keyboard. This is the kind of thing Arcades were getting into before COVID probably set everything back 10 years but unfortunately standalone stuff like the Quest can't pull this stuff off well.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
The PSVR I got for Christmas in 2017 was pretty fun until the PS4 it was bought for died.

Frankly the prospect of being able to dust it off and use it with a PS5 is like the only reason I’d buy a PS5

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I'd love to play Star Wars Squadrons in VR with a flight joystick set up.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I picked up a cheap but great VR kit (the Odyssey+) for $230 in a sale just before the pandemic came along, and it's been great. Totally worth it just for Half-Life: Alyx. The sense of place and scale in games like Squadrons and Elite is genuinely mind-blowing. The Walking Dead Saints & Sinners was surprisingly good and complex. Even little free experiences like visiting locations in Steam's Home or being inside animations like Age of Sail or loading up Google Earth and gliding across the planet are super unique and memorable.

While there aren't a ton of big budget full-length VR games, I've had more fun than with it (and those fun moments have left bigger impressions) than any recent platform aside from maybe the Switch.

That said, I'm super happy with the Series X. I'm still not caught up with all the Game Pass stuff that interests me, and so far I prefer this as my default system for multi-platform titles. Between Obsidian, inXile, and Arkane chances are we'll see some good stuff in the coming years.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Lammasu posted:

No, no part of technology or video games has gotten better since the 90s.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

lmao every time someone comes in to poo poo on VR it's based on their experience with 3DOF. 6DOF changes everything

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I used the Power Glove once, all gaming accessories are bad.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
I don't care much for VR either. I bought an oculus quest when they were new and tried beat saber, some space pirate game, and some star wars game. Then it sat in my room for several months. Luckily they were scarce so I wound up selling it before Christmas for more than I paid.

My kiddo likes his PSVR but I haven't seen him use that thing in probably a year. I tried skyrim and re7 for that and ehhhh....vr has a ways to go before I try it again.

Still lots of compromises for mostly gimmicky games in my opinion. It's nifty for watching 3d movies though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The real VR experience is in sims. Most people just want to play Beat Saber and then they don't understand what the appeal of VR is. The real VR genre is in flight and racing sims, meaning the barrier of entry is extremely steep though. It's not an accessible tech at all.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Am I the only one that thinks gaming is stupid? I played a game in the 90's and it sucked.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Am I the only one that thinks gaming is stupid? I played a game in the 90's and it sucked.

Same

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
I thought vr was a bit gimmicky when I had psvr, but having recently bought a quest 2 I’m really into it now. I’ve played a ton of hours of FPS multiplayer games over the past couple months (population one, and onward) and it’s amazingly cool. Graphics are a bit lovely in comparison, but I’m sure it won’t be too long before we get full battlefield games in vr - which will be insanely fun.

Not sure it will ever take over from standard gaming, but it’s a lot of fun to jump into as an alternative. Surprised MS have ignored it, wonder if they’ll ever release a headset? PSVR seems to have sold decently.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Crafty posted:

I thought vr was a bit gimmicky when I had psvr, but having recently bought a quest 2 I’m really into it now. I’ve played a ton of hours of FPS multiplayer games over the past couple months (population one, and onward) and it’s amazingly cool. Graphics are a bit lovely in comparison, but I’m sure it won’t be too long before we get full battlefield games in vr - which will be insanely fun.

Not sure it will ever take over from standard gaming, but it’s a lot of fun to jump into as an alternative. Surprised MS have ignored it, wonder if they’ll ever release a headset? PSVR seems to have sold decently.

They co-developed the HP Reverb G2, the hardware is really good, it's two lenses that are each 4K, but the software sucks still. I'm hoping Microsoft will eventually allow these VR headsets to be usable on the Xbox Series X, but I am not holding my breath.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Go to Half Dome in Google Earth VR and it all becomes abundantly clear how useful it can be.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Pillars of Eternity 2 question. I’m playing in turn based and every few battles something will happen where I can’t control the movement of my characters. I’ll try to attack someone they are standing next to, and the motion line will appear off in the other direction and they will go off that way. No matter where I try to direct them, they go running off. This is game breaking if it’s not something incredibly dumb on my end and it keeps happening.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Series X backwards compatibility: can you install/copy old games from disc to the internal drive or a USB HDD/SSD for faster load times, or is it a case of 'put in disc, play from it as if it were an older console'?

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

All games install to and run from HDD/SSD.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I believe OG/360 games HAVE to be downloaded to the HDD. In fact it doesn’t even copy from the disc, it just downloads a BC version of the game from the internet when you put the disc in, in never actually reads any game data off the disc.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It uses the disc to verify ownership, but I don't think any games play off the disc anymore.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
That may have just helped me decide on a Series X over a PS5, then! (Assuming I can ever find one to buy.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Yea when tekken 7 was on gp I just took the disk out and it worked.