Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

bobjr posted:

I was surprised Soldier was the most picked class because it's usually the most boring.

Male Soldier was the default character that appeared on the start screen so many players just mashed A to start the game. Wasn't it something like 20% of the players never even attempted to customize Shep?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, in 1 and 2 default male shep was by far the most detailed character model. the character customization wasn't detailed enough to compete with the excellent reproduction of an actual person.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Simone Magus posted:

??? On which platform? I experienced no noticeable glitches on PS4

Every platform

Congrats, you got extremely lucky!

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I liked da:I but my brain apparently thought that it and Witcher 3 were the same game so it overwrote a lot of my memories of it with the Witcher. Like I'll be thinking about it but then I'll just start remembering stuff from the Witcher. I didn't even play them particularly close in time to one another :thunk:

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

bobjr posted:

I was surprised Soldier was the most picked class because it's usually the most boring.

I usually play Soldier/Warrior types in games like that because I tend to lose track of/forget about my more complex abilities in combat situations, so if I want to be effective I have to streamline things. I never played as a mage until my third DAI playthrough, and while I had fun playing around with biotics and tech stuff in my second Andromeda run I've more or less gone back to soldier-style for this one. And I expect my first run in the Legendary Edition will be a paragon soldier, haven't decided on gender yet.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

Vagabong posted:

This thread reminded me how much I loved mass effect, which kinda highlights the shame to me how much it shat the bed past 2, and how nothing has really been able to hit the same high since then.

There's been a ton of games since 2 with far better writing, but the game had a sorta low commitment campy charm that hasn't really been matched.

I think 3 is still a really great game even with its flaws.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Outer Worlds is a technically brilliant engine, an out-of-budget design department, and a story written by young millennials who learned everything they knew about politics and economics from Twitter, echo chamber subreddits and out of context Noam Chomsky and Naomi Klein quotes.

ME:A is a bunch of independently designed and implemented features and gameplay systems bolted into a not-designed-for-that engine by a bunch of journeyperson techies and artists, and a story written by a bunch of young millennials who learned everything they know about science and mass effect from mass effect fan forums. Honestly, the game is fantastic, given its history, and the fault lies with senior management.

Imagine “my face is tired” being quipped by Buffy after a long day forcing smiles at work, and it makes a lot more sense.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That's untrue about Outer Worlds, it was written primarily by Boyarsky & Cain which is probably why it comes off as mostly out-of-touch and middling in its satire.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

TheCenturion posted:

Outer Worlds is a technically brilliant engine, an out-of-budget design department, and a story written by young millennials who learned everything they knew about politics and economics from Twitter, echo chamber subreddits and out of context Noam Chomsky and Naomi Klein quotes.

ME:A is a bunch of independently designed and implemented features and gameplay systems bolted into a not-designed-for-that engine by a bunch of journeyperson techies and artists, and a story written by a bunch of young millennials who learned everything they know about science and mass effect from mass effect fan forums. Honestly, the game is fantastic, given its history, and the fault lies with senior management.

Imagine “my face is tired” being quipped by Buffy after a long day forcing smiles at work, and it makes a lot more sense.

lol that you think millennials are into buffy. that's a gen x-er show if anything ever was!

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
I love when Larian made that news post about Baldur's Gate 3 character customization where they used the most common data to make the "average" player character, and it was just Caeden Mason the Sword Guy.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1086940/view/2896336186738209915

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Pennsylvanian posted:

I love when Larian made that news post about Baldur's Gate 3 character customization where they used the most common data to make the "average" player character, and it was just Caeden Mason the Sword Guy.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1086940/view/2896336186738209915

I love how dissapointed they are in that post lol

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I'm doing my part for sassy redheaded lesbian representation, the rest of you need to start pulling your weight.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I'm doing my part for sassy redheaded lesbian representation, the rest of you need to start pulling your weight.

Log off, Joss.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Android Blues posted:

lol that you think millennials are into buffy. that's a gen x-er show if anything ever was!

Joss Whedon and his quippyness is still a thing.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

TheCenturion posted:

Joss Whedon is still a thing.

Not for much longer, lol

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
These days when I play a build-your-own-character game I tend to pick one of the defaults and then just make a few cosmetic tweeks (skin tone, eye color, hair, maybe a different nose or mouth) and call it a day. I used to spend ages fiddling around with sliders and options to make something more unique, but I've been burned too many times by the phenomenon where you make a character that looks okay in the character creator, then five minutes into the game you realize you've created a hideous weird-cheekbone-to-chin-ratio monster.

I also tend to make whatever seems like a "fighter" type the first time I play a new RPG. Think it's mostly because it's easier to play a front-line tanky-type in games where you don't fully understand all the mechanics yet. It's usually on replays (or maybe when I'm a few hours in and realize another class would be more fun) that I make a caster-type, or try to make a weird and gimmicky character-build.

Also in ME1 I played through twice as a soldier and didn't think anything of it, because you got the full gameplay experience by controlling your other party members. Soldier Shep plus Liara and Tali/Garrus gave you the full range of powers. Giving the different classes unique, signature abilities in ME2 was a great idea, and even then the soldier's bullet-time power was fun (though not *nearly* as fun as biotic charge!)

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
sorry Larian, I'm not here to pretend to be someone else, i'm here to be my normal awesome self but in a more interesting place.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I always make skinny femme girls because that's what I was born as, and I can never get anyone to take me seriously when I say I'm trans :(

"Boys can't be pretty!" they say and my only response is to point to a picture of Brian Molko

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

I mostly make women after Jen Hale acted circles around Mark Meer in Mass Effect, Courtney Taylor beat out the male actor in Fallout 4, and Laura Bailey similarly nailed Saint's Row (despite that good male british voice actor and the Nolan North option).

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I've been playing as girls since Pokemon Crystal and I've yet to run into a game where the girl option isn't better.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
female characters are generally better because boys are gross :shrug:

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Funky Valentine posted:

I've been playing as girls since Pokemon Crystal and I've yet to run into a game where the girl option isn't better.

:hai:

I'm struggling to think of any game where the female fashion options aren't vastly better than the male ones

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Since I tend to play RPGs multiple times, I get to be multiple characters. I always get my feet wet on a first play through with a facsimile of myself, then i start branching out with different genders and romance options, because I want to suck up all the content.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

chaosapiant posted:

different genders and romance options, because I want to suck up all the content.

Phrasing!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
whose body doesn't ache to hoover loads of content down their throat??

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Simone Magus posted:

:hai:

I'm struggling to think of any game where the female fashion options aren't vastly better than the male ones
MHW. The male options are all badass looking and the female ones are thigh-high boots, panty shots and bustiers with boob windows. There are like 3 "normal" looking sets.

I like how Souls handles it. "This is how the armor looks, period." If you put on Dusk's outfit as a dude, you're now a dude running around in a ball gown with heels. A male hoonter wearing Gascoigne's set looks the same as a female.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

SubponticatePoster posted:

MHW. The male options are all badass looking and the female ones are thigh-high boots, panty shots and bustiers with boob windows.

While I accept your point and it's a matter of taste, I think the female sets in that game also look better than the male sets

Shockingly, there exist people (including those assigned female at birth) who prefer looking "badass sexy" to looking "GWAR album cover".

In fact, I think that's what I was getting at originally. In most games, men look "badass" (in my opinion, ugly) and women look sexy/cool (in my opinion, awesome).

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

female characters are generally better because boys are gross :shrug:

Femshep rules, boys drool

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Julius CSAR posted:

Femshep rules, boys drool

Femshep is good and canon but Mark Meer is severely underrated, especially Renegade. He has such a dry delivery with subtle sarcasm. Renegade Femshep sometimes feels a bit painfully "edgy".

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Hale is consistently excellent across all three games, whereas somebody pointed out earlier in the thread that Meer has a similar progression as Cockle had to Geralt: pretty stiff in the first game, much better in the second, really good in 3 once they've gotten more comfortable with the role.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
i remember thinking hale's performance would earn her a nolan north/laura bailey level of ubiquity, but i don't remember her having many prominent va roles after shepard

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Jennifer Hale is in literally everything, it's just rarely for a leading role. Her VA credits are a mile long.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
yeah, like i said, i meant big roles

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

Jennifer Hale is in literally everything, it's just rarely for a leading role. Her VA credits are a mile long.

She is basically the female Steve Blum in terms of "has been in everything you've ever played or watched somehow" ubiquity.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Wasn't there some drama where Hale was gonna be Kerrigan in SC2 and somehow got screwed over?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
Dodged a bullet there

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

SubponticatePoster posted:

MHW. The male options are all badass looking and the female ones are thigh-high boots, panty shots and bustiers with boob windows. There are like 3 "normal" looking sets.

I like how Souls handles it. "This is how the armor looks, period." If you put on Dusk's outfit as a dude, you're now a dude running around in a ball gown with heels. A male hoonter wearing Gascoigne's set looks the same as a female.

Yeah, I started playing MH:W and was really disappointed that every piece of female armor had what you said plus stupid hats and holes to see bare thighs. The only way you can tell the difference between a male or female PC in Dark Souls is the walking animation.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 21, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Simone Magus posted:

Wasn't there some drama where Hale was gonna be Kerrigan in SC2 and somehow got screwed over?

No, I think it was Glynnis Talken was going to reprise her role as Kerrigan and I think had actually recorded some dialog for StarCraft II, and then Blizzard pulled the rug out from under her and brought in Tricia Helfer to take over the role and people got pretty pissed about it because Glynnis owned the poo poo out of Kerrigan and the original game probably wouldn't have been anywhere near as memorable if she hadn't knocked it out of the park as the Queen of Blades.

People quickly forgot about it though as Tricia Helfer also knocked it out of the park as Kerrigan, but yeah Glynnis got screwed by Blizzard and it was the herarld of things to come in terms of how corrupt and lovely Blizzar was about to become.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Jenn was supposed to be Samus in Other: M but got replaced.

She owned in Bulletstorm. She, Steve, and the guy who voiced Cerrano were all fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I love this video of Jennifer Hale showing up probably hammered to the ME3 launch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=youtu?be?Pa7niDlKw-8

Julius CSAR fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 21, 2021