Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Is that true? I’ve never seen this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Shibawanko posted:

yeah i thought gouranga was like cowabunga

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Just found out two weeks ago there's a way to manage memory cards on the n64. You have to hold start and then turn on the n64 with a compatible game in the system. Also the memory card manager UI is different for every game

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

In Mario 64, Boo's laugh is just Bowser's laugh sped up

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Just found out two weeks ago there's a way to manage memory cards on the n64. You have to hold start and then turn on the n64 with a compatible game in the system. Also the memory card manager UI is different for every game

whoa

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Nostradingus posted:

:stare:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Nostradingus posted:

whoa

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Nostradingus posted:

is this true?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

starting to think if you play "so long gay bowser" backwards it tells you how to get the Triforce in ocarina of time

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

is this true?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjtzkoVW_Qg

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

my god......

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Nostradingus posted:

and they're both charles martinet's laugh at different speeds

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I just told that to my wife and she let me know that the Poe laughs in ocarina of time are ganondorfs laugh sped up

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

insanely powerful easter eggs.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
iirc playing sounds at different speeds was a native feature of the n64 hardware, done so developers could save cart space

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Epona’s neigh sped up is Navi’s chirp

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Kamek's voice is Baby Mario's crying played backward.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

the bob-omb battlefield theme backwards at 50% speed features part of a confession from miyamoto himself about the ultimate fate on gunpei yokoi and what really happened that night

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

trying to jack off posted:

the bob-omb battlefield theme backwards at 50% speed features part of a confession from miyamoto himself about the ultimate fate on gunpei yokoi and what really happened that night

that's right

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

The Bob-omb sound from Mario 64 sped up 33% is the record scratching noise used for the king of all cosmos’ voice in katamari damacy

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

More of a tech/bug thing rather than some hidden mechanic but the strength of gravity in Doom for PlayStation is tied to the framerate! Lower framerates (encountered in such levels as MAP25 which has some horrendous slowdown) result in weaker gravity, whereas higher framerates have you hitting the ground fast. Overclocking the CPU (to keep the game running at the intended 30fps) keeps the gravity effect constant (duh), and with a somewhat higher pull than the PC original. Here I am loving around to show this bug/useless info in action. This probably has the unintended side-effect where some maps requiring ledge-leaping to progress can't be completed unless there's slowdown, but I haven't bothered testing it that much yet.

:catstare:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
The blonde guile hair in the original xcom was an rng bug giving most sprites the same model

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Banjo Tooie has a multiplayer FPS mode which includes maps that are basically remakes of Goldeneye maps

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I came across this by pure accident: https://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/printersettings.html

DonutKing
Mar 27, 2009

ikanreed posted:

The blonde guile hair in the original xcom was an rng bug giving most sprites the same model

Xcom also had a bug that reset your difficulty to the easiest level after the first mission, regardless of what you picked when you started the game.

Sid Meier’s Colonization had a bug where it wouldn’t randomise combat results properly. Effectively it would give the same result for every combat, so you would either win or lose every single battle in the turn.

Some dude made a patch for it years after the game came out but it somehow broke random map generation. so you had to use the unpatched version to start the game if you wanted to play on a random map then switch to the patched version.

DonutKing fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 25, 2021

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

max payne is called that because hes experiencing the maximum amount of pain. it's symbolic

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

max payne is called that because hes experiencing the maximum amount of pain. it's symbolic
in the original design for max payne, instead of the gimmick being "going into matrix slow motion" it was "injecting a drug that temporarily transforms you into a mutant hulk". but then a publishing exec pointed out that the slow motion stuff that they'd implemented for testing visual effects and stuff was way more interesting

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The Kins posted:

in the original design for max payne, instead of the gimmick being "going into matrix slow motion" it was "injecting a drug that temporarily transforms you into a mutant hulk". but then a publishing exec pointed out that the slow motion stuff that they'd implemented for testing visual effects and stuff was way more interesting

Lol

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

The Kins posted:

Jesus loving Christ.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

The Kins posted:

So basically Max Payne but he abuses PCP instead of opioids

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

The Kins posted:

lol this definitely makes a lot more sense with the plot but thank god they decided to ripoff john woo instead

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I didn't know that in Link to the Past, if you don't take the lantern in Link's house, it will show up in the chest right after your uncle, and if you don't take it there it will show up in the chest next to Zelds after you rescue her.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

GorfZaplen posted:

I didn't know that in Link to the Past, if you don't take the lantern in Link's house, it will show up in the chest right after your uncle, and if you don't take it there it will show up in the chest next to Zelds after you rescue her.
What if you don't take it there either?

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Martman posted:

youre a fool

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Martman posted:

You will find one next to your SNES and when you turn the cartridge back on Link will be bleeding from his eyes and asking why you left him alone in the dark.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Not an old game, but 50 hours into Yakuza 0 I found out that your real estate security managers can join you in a fistfight in their area

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Nostradingus posted:

Not an old game, but 50 hours into Yakuza 0 I found out that your real estate security managers can join you in a fistfight in their area

there are unique heat moves you can do if they're holding a dude for you and your meter is full enough

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Final Fantasy 3/6 on the snes has a two player mode

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Final Fantasy 3/6 on the snes has a two player mode

So does 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins