Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Jackard posted:

Did some woodburning for our elderly neighbor who likes bears

Cool. I really like woodburning and one of my artist friends on Facebook makes these really intricate burns.

I just finished the pen and ink portion of an album cover for a well-known stoner sludge band. It's 22"x22", title to be "Weedsconsin" hence the shape of WI in the middle

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I've always felt really bad about wasting any paint. I always try to use everything but if for whatever reason I squeeze the tube a little too hard or whatever, I try to do something with the paint.
I also work for a company that does fast mockup CNC work so I pick up a ton of scrap wood. I usually grab a few little blocks and gesso it up and then when I have left over paint from a bigger project I end up practicing my values!

I really want to get back into doing portraits soon and this is my way of dipping my toes back in.

Zoben - holy loving poo poo that is awesome. Your detail is amazing.
Jackard - that's super cool - how did you end up getting into woodburning? Do you use an off the shelf kit?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

silicone thrills posted:

Jackard - that's super cool - how did you end up getting into woodburning? Do you use an off the shelf kit?
My brother likes larping but I was more interested in making props - my first project was a tavern sign. And yea still using a basic kit, but it has some issues and I might pick up something better.

Right now I'm working on another gift, a d&d dicebox for kids after seeing these kobolds

Next I was thinking about making a box for Dominion cards but that'll take more planning

Jackard fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Dec 27, 2020

CobwebMustardseed
Apr 8, 2011

And some said he would just be a shell of his former self upon his return.
Painted a picture of my turtle as an admiral contemplating the weather conditions.

new boot goofin
Jul 23, 2007

like school in july

Choda Dog posted:

here is one I just completed. I made a thread in SA Mart for pet portraits and orders are starting to come in.

a little late but I just wanted to mention what a wonderful painting style you have :)

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

HOT BREAD! posted:

a little late but I just wanted to mention what a wonderful painting style you have :)

Seconded, I love it!

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
My angel boy

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

very cool

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

cool birds

e: very cool

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I don't know really where to ask this but kind of a newbie question, does anyone have any suggestions for like baby's first art? like, just google youtube "how do I make art" or does anyone have any more specialized recs?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Kinda depends what you want to do but babys first art tends to be "get a pencil/pen/crayons/whatever" and draw something you see. Got some oranges and apples? put em on the table and try to draw them.

but babies first art can also just be smearing colors onto paper/canvas until it feels pleasing to you.

Alot of artists have youtube channels or instagrams on how to do what they do so if there's a particular style you like or artist, find them on the interwebs and check out what they are doing.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

First define broadly what you like/want to do. Painting? Abstract or representational? Sculpting? Woodworking?
Then just dive in. Buy cheap tools and materials and start trying them out to see if you like it. Look up tutorials on youtube or just do whatever you want. Your first attempts will suck but if you can accept that and keep at it you will see progress sooner rather than later.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I don't know really where to ask this but kind of a newbie question, does anyone have any suggestions for like baby's first art? like, just google youtube "how do I make art" or does anyone have any more specialized recs?
IMO the absolute best intro from zero is, a cheap pad of newsprint (which you can usually buy at a drugstore or dollar store), a pack of ballpoint pens (plain Bics are still the best), and the book Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain.

The newsprint is not archival so don’t even think about making anything “good.” Ballpoints are cheap, waterproof, and have a nice range of values with hand pressure. No erasing so you have to learn to work with what’s in front of you. Crank through the exercises in the book and you’ll go from level 0 to level 1 fast.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

https://drawabox.com/

I'm no artist, I just like to look at talented goons' submissions here but when I've tried to learn to draw I liked this website. Free lessons, and a pretty good youtube channel that explains a lot of the theory and talks about how to practice and things like that. They also have a subreddit (/r/ArtFundamentals) where you can submit photos of your 'homework' and get critique / feedback.

I've always felt like I had an aptitude for art/drawing, but man I have such a hard time putting in the effort because I absolutely hate/am disappointed with everything I draw. So hard to stay motivated practicing.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jan 15, 2021

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Sab669 posted:

I'm no artist, I just like to look at talented goons' submissions here but when I've tried to learn to draw I liked this website. Free lessons, and a pretty good youtube channel that explains a lot of the theory and talks about how to practice and things like that. They also have a subreddit (/r/ArtFundamentals) where you can submit photos of your 'homework' and get critique / feedback.

Please do not start with drawabox, it is not something that is very enjoyable although it is very effective at gaining skills you did not know you missed. But not recommended for beginner artists. Grab whatever tools you think you will enjoy and go for it. Just keep in mind that of all the artwork you see on the internets that it a) is self-curated, you see only the best stuff one makes and b) it can takes years and years to get to very high levels. So please do not measure yourself against the masters, join a group of noobs and enjoy making art with them.

You can join us in the CC discord, there are a lot of people there of all skill levels.
https://discord.gg/25e2VpE

Sab669 posted:

I've always felt like I had an aptitude for art/drawing, but man I have such a hard time putting in the effort because I absolutely hate/am disappointed with everything I draw. So hard to stay motivated practicing.
This is completely normal and learning to not hate your art is a skill in itself that can be trained. Going from "I hate my stuff" to "My stuff sucks and here is why" is actually not that hard but you might need help. See the above discord!

Keetron fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 15, 2021

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, the first few lessons of "Draw a million lines / boxes / circles" before you get to "Draw an Actual Thing" was definitely a point of contention I had last time I said, "Hey I should give this a shot" :v:

And I'm sure that whole, "God this sucks why am I even trying" thing is common with all creative pursuits. I definitely struggled with it with painting my Warhammer minis for a while, but I think it was easier to stick with that because simple washes can make even the shittiest paint job look decent, and no matter how bad your painting it'll still look cooler than the dweeb's unpainted minis across the table :smug:

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 15, 2021

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Sab669 posted:

I think this is like an artist universal. I did a whole fuckin oil painting last night and I currently want to chuck it in the garbage. But art is a very 10,000 hours thing. Given time and practice everyone gets better.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

DickButt Shitlord
Oct 14, 2012
Been a while since I posted anything. I just finished this portrait for someone and thrilled I got it done in one day:

perc2
May 16, 2020

It's all mindset

Bad mindset (mentally draining, baby, 20 mins of anguish, thinking about too much at once)

* Why can't I draw like X
* Ugh this is taking forever
* If only I had a better tablet
* The last 10 drawings I did all suck
* My wrist hurts. This chair sucks ugh
* Noses are really hard wtf
* Maybe I should just look at some ArtStations and call it a day
* I hate myself

Good mindset (life affirming, grownup, chill hip hop study beats 3 hour session with stretches, lost in the moment)

* That doesn't look right, I'll practice on a few references
* I need to slow down, I'm rushing the process I've taken time to study
* That part was really good, definitely better than last time
* Would the light work like that in real life?
* How would X approach this?
* I did 20 weak poses, but that last one was better than the rest
* Gotta do my wrist exercises before I continue
* I love myself. Time for a cup of tea

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Choda Dog posted:

Been a while since I posted anything. I just finished this portrait for someone and thrilled I got it done in one day:

That is a sweet birb. I love the texture and colour

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!
Hi everyone, there's lots of great stuff in this thread that I've finally caught up on. With no previous art experience (other than grade school ~20 years ago) I decided to try oil painting in June and I'm having a lot of fun with it. I made this self-portrait 3 days ago based on a drawing I did of myself with my eyes closed, hopefully you find it at least a little bit as amusing as I do.

24"x36"

I'm kind of thinking of doing a series of self-portraits like this each with a different border and some slight variations to force onto family members and friends for my own amusement.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I think this is finished. Still need to varnish but it was fun af to paint. I love moss.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Chef kiss

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

silicone thrills posted:

I think this is finished. Still need to varnish but it was fun af to paint. I love moss.

Very very nice.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I don't know much about art so I picked up a manga art book and started trying to copy the source images that show you how to do the thing step by step

I want to be better to draw my own stuff but I figure this is a decent enough incentive to will myself to do something

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Practicing oil portraiture and feeling angsty af. Shits so hard.

Working wet into wet is so loving hard. You have put the exact color down in the right spot otherwise it's all muddy so fast

Whats weird is poo poo will look OK to me while I'm in there laying it down and then I step back and it's this disproportionate mess. Landscapes are so much easier.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Just about got the settings right on this last burn. Such a finicky process. 5-10% too much and you burn a hole through the paper or just obscure detail with soot that can't be easily dabbed off.

Technically not traditional art but oh well.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
That loving rules. I love burn art so much. Had a classmate in college who went pretty wild with it. She did it in painting class. Painting with flame.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

silicone thrills posted:

That loving rules. I love burn art so much. Had a classmate in college who went pretty wild with it. She did it in painting class. Painting with flame.

Thanks!!
Think I am pretty close with the settings here. So hard to dial them in to get the highest contrast while keeping all the midtones. Nevermind struggling with soot after the burn is done. You can see I dabbed away at the soot a little too much and left a finger print on her shoulder.

I have seen some videos of people "painting with candle flames". It's pretty wild that people can control scorching paper like that.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Haven’t been doing much art lately, but I’ve hit a kick these last few days. Even changed mediums! (never mind that everything starts as pencil)

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Superb work as usual dupersaurus.

Some outside drawing.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Doing more portraits, havent given up on them. Stealing references from my friends instagrams of them doing goofy stuff :p

Feel like im seriously making good progress on skintones and not letting my brain do weird chin corrections.

https://i.imgur.com/NwdTqux.gifv

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Keetron posted:

Superb work as usual dupersaurus.

Some outside drawing.

Where do you live, I've been lobbying my parks department to put in municipal sex swings for years and they keep saying no!

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

dupersaurus posted:

Haven’t been doing much art lately, but I’ve hit a kick these last few days. Even changed mediums! (never mind that everything starts as pencil)

I love your drawing style and the stylization of those figures, it really works well.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

PokeJoe posted:

Where do you live, I've been lobbying my parks department to put in municipal sex swings for years and they keep saying no!

Amstelveen, Netherlands.

6/46 36+10 views of Mt Fuji

A little blog post about it here: http://catropy.com/

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
Pen n' ink

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

Zoben posted:

Pen n' ink

kicks rear end

this house belongs to the quail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016