Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

No modern console plays off the disc. Br players have too slow a data speed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Do backwards compatibility disk games even work without an internet connection?
From what I’ve seen it just downloads a new exec from the Xbox store without even copying across disk data.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

No. As mentioned above, the discs just verify ownership of the digital file.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

From what I’ve seen it just downloads a new exec from the Xbox store without even copying across disk data.

You do need internet to install any BC games, but not to play them once they're installed.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

now that the switch thread is aflame with anime meltdowns and the ps5 thread has taken the switch thread's place of pretending that controller drift isn't happening, this is again shown to be the best console thread. the blessings of low expectations

been pretty impressed with what i think is the machine-learning hdr in dq11s. was especially nice in the time tower with all the light shining in the windows and across the pathways

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 22, 2021

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

oh but apparently i had a handful of forza 4 dlc that didnt install for some reason? half of it was sitting unchecked in the manage game data screen which doesnt make much sense to me since i'm sure i bought it all at the same time. in fact i think it was all a bundle. vaguely annoying

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

Asnorban posted:

Pillars of Eternity 2 question. I’m playing in turn based and every few battles something will happen where I can’t control the movement of my characters. I’ll try to attack someone they are standing next to, and the motion line will appear off in the other direction and they will go off that way. No matter where I try to direct them, they go running off. This is game breaking if it’s not something incredibly dumb on my end and it keeps happening.

This same thing happened to me early in the game, also in turn based mode. Characters just moved to the cave's exit regardless of my input.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Super No Vacancy posted:

now that the switch thread is aflame with anime meltdowns and the ps5 thread has taken the switch thread's place of pretending that controller drift isn't happening, this is again shown to be the best console thread. the blessings of low expectations

this is also the least chuddy of the three console threads

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

that's funny because there was a post in one of the other ones theorizing that xbox ownership probably most correlates with trump voting because halo bros or something

speaking of

Super No Vacancy posted:

very amused to learn the hogwarts legacy developer made the subzero mythologies game for the 64

edit: yes thats definitely what my previous post indicated that i'm a big harry potter fan already desperate to play this game

https://twitter.com/Doctor_Cupcakes/status/1362919930698596360

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I think PS5 ownership correlates with ethnic/national diversity—PlayStation has global presence where Xbox doesn’t, so people with international backgrounds or family abroad are likelier to go PS5 in my limited experience

I think Xbox is probably the more working class console in the US at this point tho. They’re definitely aiming to be the most affordable and “value for money”

As always Nintendo is the wildcard

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
xbox series x thread, not unlike the console, known for being the most powerful in the universe

Power Your Dreams™

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Xbox is the console of the American middle class whose material wealth comes from cheap exploited foreign labor. PS5 is the console of the international proletariat. Switch is the console of little babies.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Switch owners are the lumpenproletariat.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Xbox has a higher % women despite the dew n doritos frat bro image

Probably less women overall tho just due to smaller market share

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
xbox has more women because marcus fenix' big arms are strong and warm

and sea of thieves is fun

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Of course Microsoft has more women on their platform, they've known what the ladies like since Halo 2

Zat posted:

You do need internet to install any BC games, but not to play them once they're installed.

Yeah this was a massive meltdown worthy distinction; you'll need internet to install the game but once installed as long as you don't lose the disc you can turn off the internet and xbox don't care. This still does not prevent people from being irked and upset, so your mileage may vary.

Goddamit bamco just patch Tekken 7 on PS5 and Series consoles

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Barudak posted:

Of course Microsoft has more women on their platform, they've known what the ladies like since Halo 2

Yeah this was a massive meltdown worthy distinction; you'll need internet to install the game but once installed as long as you don't lose the disc you can turn off the internet and xbox don't care. This still does not prevent people from being irked and upset, so your mileage may vary.

Goddamit bamco just patch Tekken 7 on PS5 and Series consoles

I saw something that a recent T7 trailer had xbone and series on the ad, hopefully that means enhancements are coming but I'm holding my breath.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

the real delineation between playstation and xbox demographics is anime

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Hey I know a lot of goons are already all over stuff like tv calibration and what not, but I wanted to point out that the xbox has a pretty nice and robust tv calibration feature built in. I hadn't ever properly calibrated my 4k tv or recalibrated the old 42 inch I put upstairs for the new viewing environment, and they both look incredible now. Mass Effect already lookin' remastered on my new settings.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Seltzer posted:

I saw something that a recent T7 trailer had xbone and series on the ad, hopefully that means enhancements are coming but I'm holding my breath.

Most of the time with Bamco lately that just means via BC.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
Just a heads up. Playing Wastelands 3 off GP and have a story mission bug that has broken game. Old saves don’t fix it. Never play Bethesda or rpgs on Xbox.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

HAmbONE posted:

Never play Bethesda

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Wheeee posted:

the real delineation between playstation and xbox demographics is anime

PlayStation users are all basically Brad Shoemaker, if you think about it. To put it kindly, they have strong opinions about video games.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
today's game of the day: Quake 4*

*played on my Xbox 360 S because it isn't a BC title. dreams = powered

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

barnold posted:

I have finished Quake 4, but not since it first came out. All I really remember about that game is that the guns sounded like nerf guns. I should play that again. It was originally a launch Xbox 360 title, or at least close.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dirt 5, and Madden 21 are coming to Xbox Game Pass on February 25.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

barnold posted:

Quake 4 made the gutsy choice of including its superior predecessor on a bonus disc.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

TheScott2K posted:

Quake 4 made the gutsy choice of including its superior predecessor on a bonus disc.

made sure to check that the copy I bought from the retro game store had the bonus disc, it's pretty fuckin sweet even if it is janky as hell to aim and the achievements don't give you any gamerscore :blastu:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

barnold posted:

Loved that game, the stroggification stuff was rad. I remember load times on Xbox being pretty brutal though.
It was a launch title in NA/EU.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

barnold posted:

and the achievements don't give you any gamerscore :blastu:

hosed up if true

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

barnold posted:

quake 4 was an xbox 360 launch title

fun fact: more time has now passed between the present day and when the xbox 360 came out, than had passed between when the xbox 360 came out and when the snes came out

you're welcome

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Quake 4 was a game I remember for being Not That Bad, Actually.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Q4 is worth a play, but definitely get the PC version if you can

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire warning — it does not seem to support quick resume. Even when putting the system to sleep and not having played any other games it loads to the main menu some of the time. Always save first.

And then when it does suspend, the game timer keeps running, so I’m already up to 90 hours even though I’ve played 6 or so.

Asnorban fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Feb 23, 2021

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
There's an Assassin's Creed sale this week but with all the versions and bundles there's no great way to get a bundle AND DLC for recent games. It's strange, the only winning move is not to buy.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Cloks posted:

There's an Assassin's Creed sale this week but with all the versions and bundles there's no great way to get a bundle AND DLC for recent games. It's strange, the only winning move is not to buy.

the only winning move regarding anything to do with ubisoft after it was revealed that they have coddled sexual assaulters for literally decades, giving them promotions despite knowing what they've done and covering their actions up, is to not give them a single solitary dollar for anything they ever have released in the past nor anything they release until the day yves guillemot and his merry band of monsters have nothing to do with that terrible company ever again

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cloks posted:

yeah i mean they're ubisoft games so duh

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Quake 1 and 2 were so loving good. Those games were a major part of my childhood in the 90s.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Quake 1 and 2 were so loving good. Those games were a major part of my childhood in the 90s.

It's very obnoxious to me that Doom 64 got a fresh port but none of the Quakes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
THPS1+2 is getting next gen versions. Digital Deluxe gets it free, regular is $10 extra. I might skip it honestly. I'll have to check the DF data but I'm pretty sure the One X version runs at 1440/60 at least. I love the game but I'm not paying to unlock extra pixels. gently caress off Activision.