Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Marluxia posted:

Don't forget the Rockmon digimon that has absolutely no relation to rocks and is just a wireframe model.

I can imagine that one is never appearing again just because it shares the same name as another Digimon (both original and dub too - Golemon and Rockmon)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

thetoughestbean posted:

The pandemic combined with Bandai underestimating fan demand meant the launch had a way les product than there was demand
I see. There’s a game store near my job so I’ll stop by tomorrow and see if they’ve got any.

Marluxia posted:

Don't forget the Rockmon digimon that has absolutely no relation to rocks and is just a wireframe model.

I actually really want them to acknowledge that dude. Same with Tinmon. All these years and not a single mention!

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Blaze Dragon posted:

I can imagine that one is never appearing again just because it shares the same name as another Digimon (both original and dub too - Golemon and Rockmon)

Sure, but it's still odd that those two are the only two digimon, if I recall correctly, that hasn't had a single mention out of the other digimon in DW1, including the hundreds of recolours, especially because they're NOT recolours.

(yes I know Rockmon is just a reskin frigimon, but it doesn't really look like one)

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
the alt art for Omnimon BT05 and Armageddemon is super cool too: https://twitter.com/digimon_tcg/status/1363284803181666309?s=21

Armageddemon lets you destroy a Diaboromon to reduce its play cost to three memory with haste (and Diaboromon decks are all about making cheap Diaboromon tokens) and prevents level sevens from using their on evolving effects (Almost all of them have some that is a form of removal). Omegamon BT05 has an on digivolution effect that untaps it and lets it attack even if the evolution gave the opponent memory and can send a level 6 digivolution source under it to the hand to prevent it from being removed from the field from an effect

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
This game’s power creep is going to be absurd, isn’t it?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

PMush Perfect posted:

This game’s power creep is going to be absurd, isn’t it?

I don’t know. The thing about BT-05 Omnimon is that it’s not necessarily better than BT-01 Omnimon, which has remained pretty much the best card in the meta since launch. I admit there’s been power creep, but a decent amount of it has been experimenting and making the game have more mechanics and strategies. Some of what looks like powercreep is just making certain colors have more viable options against the best decks

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
There's gonna be a showing of Kizuna on youtube on March 6th, followed by some kind of announcement.

I'm afraid, everyone. I'm very afraid.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Nodosaur posted:

There's gonna be a showing of Kizuna on youtube on March 6th, followed by some kind of announcement.

Who’s ready for more Brave Heart!

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

PMush Perfect posted:

Who’s ready for more Brave Heart!

God no. It's the only digimon insert song I just full on don't like.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Double posting for the new episode and to ask the important question of why the gently caress isn't this episode representative of the show? Like, when the show launched this was more or less what I was hoping for from it: a confident remake using the same characters but spun a little bit differently with a better budget, a more modern perspective on things in the franchise, and newer Digimon. Was it that loving hard? Because that's basically what we got this episode and it is remarkable how much better this was then the previous episode.

There is a god drat reason these characters have endured as favorites for over two decades now, I'm kind of annoyed that it is out of character for this show just run episodes about the main cast doing things because it makes sense for their characters. I point out, with mounting frustration, that something as simple as that had worked for most of Digimon's previous seven seasons, including some of the bad ones. For a while there I seriously thought the show realized that, but apparently not so who knows.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
I enjoyed this week's. That's good enough for me.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Nodosaur posted:

I’m not, if they wanna make another Hi-spec, let ‘m.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
This felt like an episode of Xros Wars (besides just the title) and I mean that in a good way.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Hey if they do another horrible continuation of an old franchise maybe they'll rerelease the anniversary D3s and D-Arcs like the ver. Completes. Give me the insanely priced nostalgic hunks of plastic disguised as children's toys, Bandai.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
There's a gag; Digmon Tamers Quad with the new TCG.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Goddamn this show can be good! It only needs to remove everyone else and focus on Mimi, the one good character. Even Taichi was enjoyable this episode by following Mimi, who is the best!

Also Kamen Rider Kabuto reference on Mimi pointing out her grandfather's words, and a Digimon World 3 reference with the Leomon Gym. I appreciate those, if not as much as how good this episode was.

Here's the weekly art. Normally I don't bother to post it, but this one deserves to be shown!
https://twitter.com/jinke_jinke/status/1363306579508953088

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Can we just make this the Mimi Show from here on?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
You can't make the best character the main character because they'll get watered down by the demands of being a protagonist.

Also Mimi doesn't move merch so

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

You can't make the best character the main character because they'll get watered down by the demands of being a protagonist.

Also Mimi doesn't move merch so

Good point

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Give Rosemon an Omegamon that'll sell some figs.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

TheHan posted:

Give Rosemon an Omegamon that'll sell some figs.

I think she has one. Rosemon mixed with Lotusmon makes Rafflesimon

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

It’s not a true Rosemon Omegamon form unless both arms have cleavage

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Anyway that was a fun episode and it reminded me of the early episodes in a good way. I’ve mostly made my peace with the fact that Tai and Greymon are the big stars of the show but episodes like this give me a little hope even though I should know better.

Also, I gave in and bought the cards. Had to go to Yellow Submarine to find them and they were a bit hard to locate but they had a big poster for the next booster hanging next to the playing area.

I picked up the Mugen Black starter and one of each of the 3 boosters. All together it was less than ¥1000. I haven’t bought trading cards in the US since maybe high school or so, but I remember paying a ton more than that!

I kind of regret getting the black deck because most of the cards I got in the posters were green, blue, and purple. And honestly even though it seems easy to play, the relative lack of special effects other than blocker is a bit boring.

...but none of that matters because I don’t know anyone else who plays it! I even got back in touch with my old tcg/digimon buddy who lives here and he doesn’t play either. Still, it was nice to feel that nostalgic excitement of opening booster packs again.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Is there any good (read: not a complete gouge) aftermarket source for the digivice toys from Bandai? I missed the Adventure version Complete one despite trying to preorder a week before the deadline and I'd really like to acquire one...

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

jivjov posted:

Is there any good (read: not a complete gouge) aftermarket source for the digivice toys from Bandai? I missed the Adventure version Complete one despite trying to preorder a week before the deadline and I'd really like to acquire one...

Haha no

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This episode was great

Mimi's conquest of the Digital World continues

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Did the Imperialdramon Amplified model kit. Finished Dragon Mode, now need to do the last steps to switch it up to Fighter

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Finished the Fighter Mode transformation. The whole things was fiddlier and more fragile than I’d like, but it looks cool

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

jivjov posted:

You can look into proxies and ordering from Japanese sellers on Yahoo Japan Auctions. They're not usually as bad as eBay scalpers. But then you have to pay for shipping and the proxy service and it usually ends up being pretty bad anyway. In summary,

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Burkion posted:

This episode was great

:emptyquote:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I just saw this cool fanart of MarinAngemon Blast Mode and it made me wish once again that these had existed beyond the Digimon Accel...
https://twitter.com/artcetona/status/1363880203991285762

For those not aware, the Digimon Accel had a function that allowed you to Blast Evolve your Digimon into a Blast Mode, much like Beelzebumon's in Tamers. Sadly, it never appeared beyond that, and none of the Blast Modes were ever used again or appeared in anything that would give them legitimacy or artwork. They exist as purely LCD sprites in a forgotten V-Pet.
https://twitter.com/JP_Excelsior/status/1301108092348837890

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Honestly that's one of the neat things I like about Digimon as compared to Pokemon, there are tons of Digimon that are almost completely forgotten in a way no Pokemon ever will be. Just one off filler enemies from a video game or alternate forms that never got artwork or evolutions that only appeared in an early manga or even anime protagonist forms that got a toy and never appeared in the actual series. It's cool that there's Digimon I've never seen or heard of that I can just trip over on Wikimon, there's a sense of discovery to Digimon because there's so drat many that it's really hard to know about all of them and it's possible for someone to just bring up some obscure Digimon that hasn't been in any new media in over a decade. Pokemon you don't really get that because there's less than a thousand of them and they keep getting brought back so it's really hard for them to be truly obscure.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Totally agreed! I guess Pokemon kind of shot itself in the foot with the games allowing every generation to incorporate all of the previous ones.

The designs also feel more varied because it seems like there's less restriction on them. All of them can evolve into whatever vaguely related form they want and there's not too much of a unifying theme or style that they need to follow. This is good, because sometimes you get Gundramon, but also bad, because sometimes you get Sistermon.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I have to admit part of me is really sad that Digimon has been moving away from 'sure a cat can turn into an angel, or maybe it turns into a tree' wild branching unconnected bullshit lines and making more one-off, standardized lines that don't really tie into anything else.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Leraika posted:

I have to admit part of me is really sad that Digimon has been moving away from 'sure a cat can turn into an angel, or maybe it turns into a tree' wild branching unconnected bullshit lines and making more one-off, standardized lines that don't really tie into anything else.

Only in the anime, which has always been like that (Tailmon was always an outlier). The games and V-Pets are a lot more variable, and with the former being good now, you can get that out of them.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Only in the anime, which has always been like that (Tailmon was always an outlier). The games and V-Pets are a lot more variable, and with the former being good now, you can get that out of them.

I guess what I'm trying to get across is that newer lines seem too self-contained/visually consistent nowadays and that bothers me? Compare Palmon or Biyomon or Patamon's lines to Herissmon/Zubamon's, for example. But I do admit that's a really weird complaint to be making.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I finished Hackers Memory, so I've now played all of the Cyber Sleuth Complete. Though apparently there's a post-game in Hackers Memory, but i don't feel like running around training up digimon for a billion years.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I think part of it is the aesthetic shift to less outlandish/monstrous designs in favor of Hot Cosplay Girl and the venn diagrams of Cool Knight, Cool Robot, and Cool Dragon. Half of why I like the new vpet designs so much is the return of weirdo monster designs instead of the more cool, streamlined look modern Digimon's largely had.

Hackmon line is the biggest offender of the standardization, IMO. I legit can't tell half of its forms apart.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

The Bee posted:

I think part of it is the aesthetic shift to less outlandish/monstrous designs in favor of Hot Cosplay Girl and the venn diagrams of Cool Knight, Cool Robot, and Cool Dragon. Half of why I like the new vpet designs so much is the return of weirdo monster designs instead of the more cool, streamlined look modern Digimon's largely had.

Hackmon line is the biggest offender of the standardization, IMO. I legit can't tell half of its forms apart.

Oh man yeah I love the new PenZ designs. Part of the reason I'm excited for the Vital Bracelet is because they're doing v-pet-style branches. I want to see what Blucomon can become, his child form is so cute but the rest of the line doesn't do it for me.

Oh, speaking of PenZs and the Vital Bracelet! If you haven't heard, there's a leak that suggests the new PenZ Digimon are going to be the next DiM set:

womb with a view fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

So, I feel like I should know this answer, but let's assume I've realized I kind of almost miss Digimon World: Dawn, but am also smart enough to know that's not something I actually want to subject myself to again. Is there a good option on the Switch? Bonus points if I don't have to spend $60.