Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Sagebrush posted:

i had only seen nvmes in pictures and thought they were like the size of a candy bar. i knew that they used pci so assumed they stuck upright in a pci slot, 4 inches long or something. i in fact couldn't find the nvme slots on my motherboard for a couple of minutes because they were covered with heat sinks and i wasn't expecting them to be so small.

poo poo is crazy

I thought I'd bought a board without an NVMe slot at first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Sagebrush posted:

i had only seen nvmes in pictures and thought they were like the size of a candy bar. i knew that they used pci so assumed they stuck upright in a pci slot, 4 inches long or something. i in fact couldn't find the nvme slots on my motherboard for a couple of minutes because they were covered with heat sinks and i wasn't expecting them to be so small.

poo poo is crazy

same.

I should have known really, remember those pics if Samsung ssd that was 90% empty space because the chip is far smaller than the form factor?

edit: or was that one of the fake ones with a USB to sata bridge to a USB stick in a 3.5 drive case

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
i really want to break an nvme like a necco wafer

URL grey tea fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Feb 21, 2021

the imminent huh
Apr 6, 2016

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

same.

I should have known really, remember those pics if Samsung ssd that was 90% empty space because the chip is far smaller than the form factor?

edit: or was that one of the fake ones with a USB to sata bridge to a USB stick in a 3.5 drive case

nope, here`s a current example:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/16480/the-samsung-870-evo-ssd-1tb-4tb-review

SLC drives and some industrial drives with capacitor arrays are more fully packed, but if you have 1TB TLC chips, larger PCBs would just be a waste of perfectly good FR4 laminate.

the imminent huh fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Feb 21, 2021

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

4tb jfc. I've got an old 64gb corsair ssd that was the first one I ever bought to use as a vista boot drive

it's on top of a stack of 3 hdds I should also do something with

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

4tb jfc. I've got an old 64gb corsair ssd that was the first one I ever bought to use as a vista boot drive

it's on top of a stack of 3 hdds I should also do something with

the hd noise from my rig was starting to bug me so when a bunch of 870s went on sale i stocked up and transferred everything. now the only sound my rig makes is the fans which i plan on switching over to liquid eventually

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the only platters left in my house are in my NAS and the seek clicks were so distracting because all the other computers were now basically silent

i ended up cutting four little styrofoam blocks for the NAS' feet to isolate it from the shelf it was on and it quieted down considerably

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

PIZZA.BAT posted:

the hd noise from my rig was starting to bug me so when a bunch of 870s went on sale i stocked up and transferred everything. now the only sound my rig makes is the fans which i plan on switching over to liquid eventually

at least one of the hdd stack is from exactly that. I'm not gonna go down the water cooling rabbit hole though.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

yeah i avoided it before because of all the effort involved but now that they sell all-in-one kits that you just bolt on it's much more appealing

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
aio is okay i guess but real g's just slap a noctua on and call it good

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i remember looking at getting an AIO until realizing that it wouldn't be any quieter than a regular fan, since you've effectively just moved the fan to a different location and then added pump noise on top of it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
water cooling (generallt) gets you better thermals at the same noise level plus more time to max temp so you can handle burst loads longer before the fans kick on.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

being able to handle burst loads is critical for many yosposters.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
run a refrigeration lineset to a compressor+condenser on the roof, easy peasy now all the noise is far away from where you are

* may not actually be "easy peasy"

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I seem to recall reading about someone running a line out to their swimming pool for cpu cooling

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

just throw your computer as-is into an aquarium full of vegetable oil

works great until the oil goes rancid

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

just turn up your music louder

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

move to the Arctic circle and just leave your pc outside

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

move to the Arctic circle and just leave your pc outside

yeah? nah.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I actually kind of didn't believe nvme was real when I first saw it

an entire motherboard ago I could have jumped on it but I didnt even know they existed

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Pentium D805 being so overclockable it could on air cooling outperform intel's $1000 Pentium Extreme Edition

The significant general performance boost you could get by installing a second HDD and moving the Windows page file to the other drive

That time algae grew in my waterblock after not using my desktop for a month

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

e4300 was also a screamer. stickered at 1.8, mine went to 3.2 and some people got double. heavy 300a vibes.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
https://www.eff.org/effector/11/9

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Have we done webrings yet?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Actually, did we do Mr. T Ate My Balls yet?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Netburst

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

jar jar binks ate my balls is the very first thing I ever saw on the internet iirc

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
using DVDShrink (defeating the entire point of DVD's picture quality) to take movies you rented from blockbuster and burn them to a single-layer DVD because dual layer burners literally didn't exist for years

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

smdh moneybags over here not encoding to divx and burning to cdrs

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

my little brother built a 300a @ 450 setup on a bx board with a voodoo2. quite possibly the platonic ideal of the good gaming rig

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

PCjr sidecar posted:

smdh moneybags over here not encoding to divx and burning to cdrs

svcd baby

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
no-cd cracks. in college I bought hit man 2 (original obv), installed the no cd crack, re-shrink wrapped the box at the suncoast a friend worked at, carefully reapplied the original price sticker, and returned it.

this also worked with cdrwin to copy PlayStation games at 1x speed in freeware mode to return to electronics boutique.

return policies used to be so permissive and now they're not for some reason 🤨

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

klosterdev posted:

The significant general performance boost you could get by installing a second HDD and moving the Windows page file to the other drive

Or plugging a fast USB key in as a random IO scratch desk to go with your HDD.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Fart Sandwiches posted:

no-cd cracks.

I feel like it's less because of hackers carefully re-shrinkwrapping the games after cracking them and more because of regular shoplifters stealing games from one store and returning them to another.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Fart Sandwiches posted:

no-cd cracks. in college I bought hit man 2 (original obv), installed the no cd crack, re-shrink wrapped the box at the suncoast a friend worked at, carefully reapplied the original price sticker, and returned it.

this also worked with cdrwin to copy PlayStation games at 1x speed in freeware mode to return to electronics boutique.

I figured out that you could buy their preorders which came with bonus reward points then return the game and keep the points. I also often managed to actually finish the game inside the 7 day return window on account of being a teen with nothing better to do.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Sagebrush posted:

I feel like it's less because of hackers carefully re-shrinkwrapping the games after cracking them and more because of regular shoplifters stealing games from one store and returning them to another.

also people buying an ipad and replacing it with a brick and then shrink wrapping it closed

mystes
May 31, 2006

Wild EEPROM posted:

also people buying an ipad and replacing it with a brick and then shrink wrapping it closed
I-I-I-Ipad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

using DVDShrink (defeating the entire point of DVD's picture quality) to take movies you rented from blockbuster and burn them to a single-layer DVD because dual layer burners literally didn't exist for years

split to two discs, duh

that reminds me: the entire distinction between the latin “disc” for optical media and the greek “disk” for magnetic media