Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

redreader posted:

I have an old haswell 8gb-ram laptop and I want to host valheim on it. If it's too bad I can get a server to host it on but in that case I have the same question: Can I use the same steam account to run the server on the one machine (laptop or hosted server), and to play the game on my desktop pc?

You use steam to install the dedicated server, but you launch it by running a stand-alone binary that it installs, and it doesn't interact with steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Broken Cog posted:

Can Drakes, Lox, or Fenrings spawn starred? I think they are the only mobs I haven't seen with stars yet.

Yes

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Salt Fish posted:

You use steam to install the dedicated server, but you launch it by running a stand-alone binary that it installs, and it doesn't interact with steam.

Or you can use this docker image to simply the whole thing if you have docker installed: https://github.com/lloesche/valheim-server-docker

That image also properly publishes the game to the community server list if you chose to make it public.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Does Valheim itself actually need your Steam account for anything beyond cloud-syncing your character/world?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Broken Cog posted:

Can Drakes, Lox, or Fenrings spawn starred? I think they are the only mobs I haven't seen with stars yet.

I've never seen a starred drake, but the latter definitely can and they are loving terrifying in terms of how hard they can hit.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Just got this and it took me like 4 attempts to get the walls and floor setup for a bed , then I got trapped in it after sleeping for the first time. Woo

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Vanadium posted:

Does Valheim itself actually need your Steam account for anything beyond cloud-syncing your character/world?

Yes, the game authenticates through Steam and you make people admins or ban them by their steamid64.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

I went from 148HP to dead from a single arrow from a 1 star spoilered monster, think I was in iron gear at the time.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Hey so Bonemass?
Please go gently caress yourself.

I tried a few times and couldn't kill it solo so I cheated. I don't even feel bad about it because the swamp is loving miserable and all I really care about is building stuff.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

mastershakeman posted:

Just got this and it took me like 4 attempts to get the walls and floor setup for a bed , then I got trapped in it after sleeping for the first time. Woo

lol, select the hammer and middle mouse click to tear down what you built, you reclaim all materials unless the game fucks up, which it does on occasion.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

RandomBlue posted:

lol, select the hammer and middle mouse click to tear down what you built, you reclaim all materials unless the game fucks up, which it does on occasion.

I'm super convinced it's a bug at this point, we were doing a base relocation today and I was tearing down the old forge and workbench and specifically made a point of hitting them with the repair tool before dismantling. Sure enough, didn't get all my copper (and bronze for the upgrade pieces) back. You get the stuff back 99% of the time then just randomly the game is all "nah not today."

Of course we were out of copper so this triggered an emergency mining expedition.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Commoners posted:

I found this hidden gem on the steam community page and laughed my rear end off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCgmt0q7UKw

What is great is that even if the mountain didnt bug out, they probably still would have died from the cold sailing through the "mountain" biome

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

xzzy posted:

I'm super convinced it's a bug at this point, we were doing a base relocation today and I was tearing down the old forge and workbench and specifically made a point of hitting them with the repair tool before dismantling. Sure enough, didn't get all my copper (and bronze for the upgrade pieces) back. You get the stuff back 99% of the time then just randomly the game is all "nah not today."

Of course we were out of copper so this triggered an emergency mining expedition.

I have literally never gotten less than a full refund from tearing stuff down, so I think it might be a server issue (I play mostly solo). Try to dig underneath whatever you tore down to see if the mats maybe desynced into the ground.

The Nish
Mar 3, 2007
I've had a couple of times where I thought I got less, because of the looting notification, but when I checked my inventory it turned out to be okay. I think it might be effected by reaching the max stack size of an item in your inventory.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

xzzy posted:

My understanding is that it's a known bug when it happens so feel free to use the console to spawn in refunded mats.

If it's a dedicated server you just have to switch to a single player game to do that and then come back with it in your inventory as that stays with the character.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

xzzy posted:

I ran into a physics bug where I tore down a bench near a wall and I guess the items spawned partially into the wall, because the wood got launched into the stratosphere

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

RandomBlue posted:

Oh. Is that how im supposed to use woodpiles? I tried chopping at it to no effect

I also enjoyed a tree killing me

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I've had a portal drop the fine wood into a stone wall where I couldn't retrieve it once, but more frequently I struggle with random covikings running by as I deconstruct a thing and picking up the mats without noticing. :mad:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm waiting for my buddy to progress, so I was just farming up stuff and hunting on the main island to build up resources. I loved finally figuring out how to nail Deer, for so long kept trying to sneak and chase and only kill when they get stuck on a rock or the water. The spear chuck is really nice once you learn it's range.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Khanstant posted:

I'm waiting for my buddy to progress, so I was just farming up stuff and hunting on the main island to build up resources. I loved finally figuring out how to nail Deer, for so long kept trying to sneak and chase and only kill when they get stuck on a rock or the water. The spear chuck is really nice once you learn it's range.

You know there's bows and arrows in this game, right?

Behotti
Apr 30, 2008
Fun Shoe

My buddy just got Valheim tonight, this is his private bedroom in his first house, I gave him some decoration for his wall.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!
I’m sure technical questions come up a lot in this thread so sorry if this has been asked before.

I have a pretty solid PC I built a year ago with a newer GPU and this game cranks the fans on it 100% constantly. The game defaulted to 1080@144Hz which is what I usually run on other games, but when I try to set it ingame to 60Hz it doesn’t save the setting. I’d like to play this chill low-poly game without my PC taking off. I assume the framerate setting not saving is a bug, is there anything else I can do to reduce the load?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

PIZZA.BAT posted:

You know there's bows and arrows in this game, right?

Yes but the materials were in high demand for plenty of other stuff so we didn't make them yet, I've since made everything we can, just got it in storage for us to lose on the way to a boss when our raft is attacked by some hydra thing

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

mastershakeman posted:

Oh. Is that how im supposed to use woodpiles? I tried chopping at it to no effect

I also enjoyed a tree killing me

Yeah, but putting wood in a chest is waaaaaay more space efficient and easier to use. I pretty much only use the woodpile if I'm farming higher level woods and don't want to haul the basic wood back, so I turn it into a woodpile and leave it.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Woodpiles look way cooler, though.

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

Inzombiac posted:

Hey so Bonemass?
Please go gently caress yourself.

I tried a few times and couldn't kill it solo so I cheated. I don't even feel bad about it because the swamp is loving miserable and all I really care about is building stuff.

This was me. The explore, loot, & build grind hit peak repetitiveness during bonemass. I was like, I could either spend my entire day building/acquiring frost arrows and food or just type into the console in 10 seconds. The choice was clear.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Whoreson Welles posted:

I’m sure technical questions come up a lot in this thread so sorry if this has been asked before.

I have a pretty solid PC I built a year ago with a newer GPU and this game cranks the fans on it 100% constantly. The game defaulted to 1080@144Hz which is what I usually run on other games, but when I try to set it ingame to 60Hz it doesn’t save the setting. I’d like to play this chill low-poly game without my PC taking off. I assume the framerate setting not saving is a bug, is there anything else I can do to reduce the load?
You can set a "custom fan curve"

I have a great pc and still only get 90-120 on high 1440

It doesn't seem to use 100% of cpu or gpu. It's alpha and not optimized.

If you are nvidia or have afterburner rtss you can set a frame cap I dunno about per app.

You can turn settings down, but as long as your gpu isn't throttling and in temp spec range you are fine... Get better cooling case/fans if noise bothers you.

Is it just this game? Because I get lower frames in this than cyberpunk so far.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

raverrn posted:

Woodpiles look way cooler, though.

I actually just have a ton of random woodpiles out in the world. Its useful enough to put down and it saves me extra room for all that late game fine wood.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

You can set a "custom fan curve"

I have a great pc and still only get 90-120 on high 1440

It doesn't seem to use 100% of cpu or gpu. It's alpha and not optimized.

If you are nvidia or have afterburner rtss you can set a frame cap I dunno about per app.

You can turn settings down, but as long as your gpu isn't throttling and in temp spec range you are fine... Get better cooling case/fans if noise bothers you.

Is it just this game? Because I get lower frames in this than cyberpunk so far.

I’ll see if I can cap the framerate separately, at least until they fix the “Framerate settings not saving” problem I’m having. I had a similar issue running Dyson Sphere Program at 144 and when I set it to 60 it got virtually silent.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Second boss tips please tia. Solo just seems to be a war of attrition with flint arrows. Thinking about repurposing one of the abandoned stone towers into a siege/cheese platform.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Whoreson Welles posted:

I’ll see if I can cap the framerate separately, at least until they fix the “Framerate settings not saving” problem I’m having. I had a similar issue running Dyson Sphere Program at 144 and when I set it to 60 it got virtually silent.

If you have an nvidia card you can go to Nvidia's control panel and limit the game's framerate there. I dunno if AMD has a similar setting.
Failing that, look into downloading Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS). That has a frame limiter too.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Warbird posted:

Second boss tips please tia. Solo just seems to be a war of attrition with flint arrows. Thinking about repurposing one of the abandoned stone towers into a siege/cheese platform.

Hide behind pillars. Move to next pillar when he summons roots. Bring lots of arrows. He can’t destroy the pillars but he can wreck other stuff.

Goodchild
Jan 3, 2010

Whoreson Welles posted:

Like triple Q was saying up above, if you are Nvidia, you can go to Nvidia Control Panel>Manage 3D Settings>Program Settings tab, and from there you can add the game and change a lot of settings on a per program basis, one being Framerate cap. Can be very handy in cases like this, I don't feel the need to run Valheim at 144 either and some games still don't even HAVE caps, in this day and age!!

edit: someone beat me to it by moments, oopsy! To add actual content uhh... Valheim sure is a GOOD GAME isn't it!

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Warbird posted:

Fire arrows are your friend

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran

Warbird posted:

What Ape said but also fire arrows might make a difference? Took me <100 but they're pretty cheap so no harm in just pumping out as many as you can.

efb

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Came back to my base to this..

No trees in the close vicinity, so I guess it grew?

Also, I planted 70 carrot seeds and only got 23 carrots.. is this normal?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Polish posted:

Came back to my base to this..

No trees in the close vicinity, so I guess it grew?

Also, I planted 70 carrot seeds and only got 23 carrots.. is this normal?

Did all of them display as "healthy" a few moments after you planted them? If you plant them too close to one another or objects (trees, rocks, etc) they will turn unhealthy / brown and die out.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Hunting boars for a tanning rack took forever and didn't unlock much, but I then went and destroyed the dumb deer boss

I think I spent more time building and rebuilding my little hut after a bad storm than anything else. Trying not to smoke yourself out with a fire inside is not easy

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Ah yeah I didn't look for that.. I did plant them all fairly close together so that must be what happened.

I was taking a nice long walk on the beach looking for tin when I saw something moving in the water, which was a leech.. then I saw all the dead trees of the swamp and ran the hell away, game is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012