Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

My take is that we're meant to be thinking "so, yeah, what is up with that outer barrier?" as we watch it be completely unchanged as the night phase ends.

Isn't the official story that the monsters can get in at night through the outer barrier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Given the way the inner barrier sticks to buildings, and the apparent reliance on MGs to clear wandering monsters in four hours city-wide, you'd think all urban blocks would be built like fortified cubes with open, defensible sight-lines, separated by long, expansive boulevards with minimal places to hide. Who would want to live in a secluded alleyway? Privacy would have a steep cost of getting eaten alive.

Scenes set during MG patrols depict narrow streets and lanes, or steep sloping roofs that would prevent any MG hopping from rooftop to rooftop from seeing that the far side of your house features Goop's greatest hits holding court until 1:59am. But why? It's clearly adaptable, it even wraps around people's laundry.

... thinking too hard about how the inner and outer barriers work is probably a fool's errand, isn't it

ronya fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Feb 14, 2021

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ditocoaf posted:

Isn't the official story that the monsters can get in at night through the outer barrier?

According to Anemone that's what everyone believes. That said, they presumably don't think monsters actually physically enter through the outer barrier, otherwise all of the patrols would be focused on that border rather than being spread around the city.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ronya posted:

Given the way the inner barrier sticks to buildings, and the apparent reliance on MGs to clear wandering monsters in four hours city-wide, you'd think all urban blocks would be built like fortified cubes with open, defensible sight-lines, separated by long, expansive boulevards with minimal places to hide. Who would want to live in a secluded alleyway? Privacy would have a steep cost of getting eaten alive.

Scenes set during MG patrols depict narrow streets and lanes, or steep sloping roofs that would prevent any MG hopping from rooftop to rooftop from seeing that the far side of your house features Goop's greatest hits holding court until 1:59am. But why? It's clearly adaptable, it even wraps around people's laundry.

The bones of the city probably predate the current situation and it seems like there's always been a strong political motive to play down how dire things are and pretend that life can continue on and things are fine, which maybe plays into not turning the city into a fortress.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Looks to me like there is a hole in the outer barrier. That weird patch was some kind of brick wall that had an inner barrier over it.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
it doesn't seem to be actually super-dire situation inasmuch as normalized into an institution like, e.g., the fire brigade. Yes, every now and then someone's house burns down (in any sufficiently large city that's at least a few every day), and particularly massive tragedies inform civil engineering for decades afterwards, but daily life doesn't revolve around the all-encompassing Threat of Fire. It just passively forms the built environment, like construction code, and unless one is a civil defence planner or a massive nerd, most people would just take it as normal.

crash barriers anticipating vehicular collisions dot many city centers today, but most folks wouldn't notice unless specifically pointed out to them...

ronya fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 14, 2021

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Child soldiers don’t risk their lives nightly so your entire apartment building isn’t murdered by fire, though.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I think the point is that overall the monsters are usually small to tiger in size and pose no serious risk to the inner barrier during the night unless they have sufficient time to break through. Larger creatures might have been rarer in the past and we still have the idea that this was a normal town before the barrier was erected. All this would make it believable for the infrastructure of the city to not conform to the monsters, rather the way magical girls operate. Hence the emphasis on teams even for non-thematic girls. The fact that normal guys can tag along for things like on-site supervision and camerawork tells me that usually the nights aren't so dangerous that fatalities or break-ins are common.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

It seemed like a pretty easy night for everyone. I wonder if it goops can't just keep it up constantly or if maybe Cassidy's final attack needed her to chill out for a night.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

rannum posted:

It seemed like a pretty easy night for everyone. I wonder if it goops can't just keep it up constantly or if maybe Cassidy's final attack needed her to chill out for a night.

wasn’t goops busy tonight talking to what’s her name

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

wasn’t goops busy tonight talking to what’s her name

Checking the window...yes you're right. I dont know why I assumed it was a different day, considering the current timeline of events.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

That said it sounds like Goops was also talking to Tessa the previous night too, and she certainly managed to still be a threat then!

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-12-page-29

The static on the outer barrier looks an awful lot like whatever weird memory warping effect Anenome has on Tessa in this page.

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-3-page-12

I stumbled across that because I wanted to find out if there'd been any hint of the outer barrier in previous pages, and was looking for shots of the sky. It looks blue enough here, which makes me wonder if it only goes up to a certain height, or perhaps fades to transparent the further away you are from it.

Daktar fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Feb 17, 2021

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Imagine living in one of those houses, wake up every morning to static hell.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

It would be really weird and somewhat futuristic to wake up and discover that the sky was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

Twibbit posted:

Imagine living in one of those houses, wake up every morning to static hell.

Bet the rent's really cheap, though.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

It would be really weird and somewhat futuristic to wake up and discover that the sky was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel.

If it has any kind of mind altering properties I don't think they would mind or remember.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Daktar posted:

I stumbled across that because I wanted to find out if there'd been any hint of the outer barrier in previous pages, and was looking for shots of the sky. It looks blue enough here, which makes me wonder if it only goes up to a certain height, or perhaps fades to transparent the further away you are from it.

Judging by the gradient in the last panel, the barrier fades to normal sky a ways up. So it's like there's a band of fuzzy static between the wall and the sky, that probably marks the border of the barrier.

Speaking of the sky, this page notes at the end that it rains without any clouds. So the sky you see may not be the actual sky.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Daktar posted:

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-12-page-29

The static on the outer barrier looks an awful lot like whatever weird memory warping effect Anenome has on Tessa in this page.

Yeah. Part of me's thinking that the outer barrier doesn't technically "look" like that, it's just a visual representation of the characters not mentally registering whatever's there. Double-checking the pages where Harley and Bud walk up to it, they don't actually comment on the barrier itself after 'seeing' it.

The "outer barrier" might not even be a physical obstacle, if monsters aren't actually coming from outside the city but being generated within it somehow. It may just be something that stops people from looking outside, and Mark would have walked right through.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 18, 2021

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

The outer barrier is a series of billboards telling people they're being held hostage by the golden woman. The rest of the world is fine, she's just taken over an entire city in a moment of emotional distress.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

nimby posted:

The outer barrier is a series of billboards telling people they're being held hostage by the golden woman. The rest of the world is fine, she's just taken over an entire city in a moment of emotional distress.

Reminds me of a joke where Australia has devolved into a mad max post apocalypse state of being after everyone assumes the apocalypse happened. But the rest of the world is just fine but nobody goes there anymore because of all the weirdos wearing football helmets and assless chaps.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Despite power outages, we got a page this week!

And it is so drat cute.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

drat you are fast.

Also awww

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Maybe it is my general paranoia but...why do I have a feeling that a shoe is going to drop soon :ohdear:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Unlucky7 posted:

Maybe it is my general paranoia but...why do I have a feeling that a shoe is going to drop soon :ohdear:

we're definitely overdue to have a tessa check-in

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Alt Text: Ah, everyone's favorite meme, the concept of Sleep.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

school next day: guys not only have we still not found cassidy but gabby died!

cropoval
Feb 17, 2020

Cassidy being out of school for one day could be chalked up to illness or to an exhausting previous night, but by the second day, I think it'd probably become known that she's missing (or, if a body shows up, dead). I think that's going to have to drop at the very least.

Gabby does feel like a Chekhov's Gunman, but I don't know to what extent. Her usual turf being right on the barrier seems like it's telling us something, even if it's just "Gabby knows stuff about the barrier."

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

cropoval posted:

Cassidy being out of school for one day could be chalked up to illness or to an exhausting previous night, but by the second day, I think it'd probably become known that she's missing (or, if a body shows up, dead). I think that's going to have to drop at the very least.
By lunch it was already pretty clear that everyone think's Cassidy is dead because she went out for patrol but never came back & no one had seen her. They're hoping she's still alive but Undine herself already mentioned the statistics on what happens to girls who aren't seen the next day.

quote:

Gabby does feel like a Chekhov's Gunman, but I don't know to what extent. Her usual turf being right on the barrier seems like it's telling us something, even if it's just "Gabby knows stuff about the barrier."
If nothing else, jokes aside, I do think Gabby will be at least a little important. For someone who hasn't really done anything she's made a little presence for herself: she's the only other MG using the little gym other than the current gang so that's immediately going to make you remember her, she was the only one suspicious of cassidy and gave that warning about her being the secret bitch to undine, and they just had the bit talking about where she's been, what her power is, what the other characters think of her and where her patrol route is.

Probably not "main crew" by any means but more relevant than some of the other girls roaming around.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Well, looks like the comic is going on a 3 week hiatus so Mary Cagle can get herself realigned, which I can respect.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
It's back!

Well, kinda.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-17-page-17

and we're back now, for real!

time for the entire school to learn about ol cass

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

"Kids, Cassidy is missing and we haven't found a shred of evidence, can anyone help out?"

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
The really morbid thing underlying this whole incident is that I don't think there are many situations where there isn't even a body to bury.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Finally getting to see Bud’s network in action

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Brought To You By posted:

The really morbid thing underlying this whole incident is that I don't think there are many situations where there isn't even a body to bury.

You say that, but considering the variety of monsters that they fight I could easily imagine that situation being relatively common.

Irukandji Syndrome
Dec 26, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

You say that, but considering the variety of monsters that they fight I could easily imagine that situation being relatively common.

Yeah we very nearly had this happen.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Man, I love when this comic goes super creepy.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I can remember two monsters that were big enough to eat someone. The many armed abomination and the big bug that Rue and Zoe took down. It definitely happens and I can imagine some cases like Cassy where a MG power has a strange interactions but I'd also say those are more likely to have Goops directly acting if there's that kind of creature lurking around. Which begs the question of how frequently she pulls these kind of ambushes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-17-page-18

Things are going in a direction I wasn't considering.

Guess the city knew Cassidy was a part of that club.