Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
A 3060 is faster than a 2060 by about 30%+ depending on resolution. You gave your budget of around $1600 so I assumed you were looking for higher end, but if not laptops with a 2060 can be found with a real good deal.

Asus goes with a thin bezel so no webcam, and honestly I kinda like it. Nothing to get turned on without my authorization, and I usually use external camera's anyway. But to each their own. SD card slots take up space, are not thin, and are not widely used, so again it makes sense to due away with them.

Thunderbolt is USB-C with more capabilities (basically), due to some pretty big architecture differences. Thunderbolt 4 requires the laptop due a bunch of stuff so many (especially gaming) laptops due without since they USB charging and stuff is a pain, above and beyond the architecture support. And Ryzen has real limited thunderbolt support right now, which limits it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Lockback posted:

A 3060 is faster than a 2060 by about 30%+ depending on resolution. You gave your budget of around $1600 so I assumed you were looking for higher end, but if not laptops with a 2060 can be found with a real good deal.

Asus goes with a thin bezel so no webcam, and honestly I kinda like it. Nothing to get turned on without my authorization, and I usually use external camera's anyway. But to each their own. SD card slots take up space, are not thin, and are not widely used, so again it makes sense to due away with them.

Thunderbolt is USB-C with more capabilities (basically), due to some pretty big architecture differences. Thunderbolt 4 requires the laptop due a bunch of stuff so many (especially gaming) laptops due without since they USB charging and stuff is a pain, above and beyond the architecture support. And Ryzen has real limited thunderbolt support right now, which limits it.

Oh I DEFINITELY want a higher end one. However - getting 1.5 terabyte + 32 gig ram seems like a better deal vs. jumping 2060 to 3060 in terms of price.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-15...p?skuId=6409444
I mean ... I am going from a surface book 2 so ... I am using an SD card to DOUBLE the space available currently. That seems pretty appealing if I can do that again, given how hard it is to upgrade a laptop hard drive vs. ram. It looks like the ASUS can go up to 40gig RAM if you flip out the 16 gig chip with a 32 gig chip.

The HP spectre has a webcam, SD slot AND thunderbolt. Also seems to work with the stylus I already have for the Surface Book 2 BUT.... of course ... Iris graphics. drat.

Trying to make the new laptop a 3D workstation replacement and relegate the surface book 2 to being a glorified tablet for drawing / painting (and some 3d sculpting) but drat if it isn't tempting to get another laptop with the tablet built in (ie 2 in 1) but of course, they just aren't anywhere near as powerful.

Asus G15 is very tempting - as is the G14 really but that laptop lid screen - WTH? So gimmicky. However - I would love to VJ a gig and get my laptop lid to say NOT THE DJ! STOP REQUESTING SONGS!! They would probably ignore the flashing laptop lid and ask me to play a song anyways.

This Asus G15 is pretty great but not available yet (?)
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1616909-REG/asus_g513qr_es96_15_6_republic_of_gamers.html/specs

VVV OH - If I wasn't clear - I use mostly Maya and Zbrush, followed by Resolume. This is primarily why I want to upgrade! VVV

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 22, 2021

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

sigma 6 posted:

Oh I DEFINITELY want a higher end one. However - getting 1.5 terabyte + 32 gig ram seems like a better deal vs. jumping 2060 to 3060 in terms of price.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-15...p?skuId=6409444
I mean ... I am going from a surface book 2 so ... I am using an SD card to DOUBLE the space available currently. That seems pretty appealing if I can do that again, given how hard it is to upgrade a laptop hard drive vs. ram. It looks like the ASUS can go up to 40gig RAM if you flip out the 16 gig chip with a 32 gig chip.

The HP spectre has a webcam, SD slot AND thunderbolt. Also seems to work with the stylus I already have for the Surface Book 2 BUT.... of course ... Iris graphics. drat.

Trying to make the new laptop a 3D workstation replacement and relegate the surface book 2 to being a glorified tablet for drawing / painting (and some 3d sculpting) but drat if it isn't tempting to get another laptop with the tablet built in (ie 2 in 1) but of course, they just aren't anywhere near as powerful.

So a couple notes with that MSI:

The SSD is only 512GB, the 1TB HDD is not super valuable. For most applications 1TB SSD is going to be a lot better.

The i7 9750H is a 2 year old CPU that isn't terribly fast. Might be fine, but spending almost $1500 and getting an older, slower CPU is kind of a bummer, especially for Maya which will absolutely make use of multiple cores.

32GB of RAM will depend on your application. It won't make things faster if you don't user it, but Maya can definitely use up to 32GB if you're doing complex scenes.

Also, the transfer speeds of SD readers is really slow. You'd be a lot better off (and save money) looking at a USB 3.x hard drive. It'd be less money, faster, more dependable, and more portable than trying to rely on SD cards for PC storage.

Only 1 model of the G14/G15 has a light up lid, most don't (including what I linked you). They look real good in practice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuoHW5EiJdQ

Lockback fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 22, 2021

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Definitely need as much space as I can (being a VJ and rendering animation with Maya). The Ryzen 9 5900HX would be ideal for the insane clock speeds but there aren't that many laptops with that CPU so my options are limited.

As for the SD card vs. external HD... you are proving my friend right apparently. Was trying to tell my friend SD was faster than anything external but it sounds like I am just wrong because SD tech is so old. I was thinking the distance between the SD card and CPU would make it speedier than anything with a cable. Oops.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 22, 2021

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

sigma 6 posted:

Definitely need as much space as I can (being a VJ and rendering animation with Maya). The Ryzen 9 5900HX would be ideal for the insane clock speeds but there aren't that many laptops with that CPU so my options are limited.

As for the SD card vs. external HD... you are proving my friend right apparently. Was trying to tell my friend SD was faster than anything external but it sounds like I am just wrong because SD tech is so old.

You can easily upgrade the SSD in the Asus G14 or G15. The G15 even comes with two slots. And an NVME drive is going to be insanely fast, compared to even a USB 3.0 drive.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

space marine todd posted:

You can easily upgrade the SSD in the Asus G14 or G15. The G15 even comes with two slots. And an NVME drive is going to be insanely fast, compared to even a USB 3.0 drive.

Oh - that changes things - since upgrading my RAM and HD are both pretty important to me. Or, will be in the future. That's why I was hoping for a SD slot.

Also, this rabbit hole goes pretty deep. Thanks for the help guys!!

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 22, 2021

Zhang San
Feb 20, 2018

I keep reading your post and think you are mixing up your terms. SD is not the same as SSD at all. For laptop drive space you want the latter.

Edit: re-reading perhaps I am being stupid, so ignore me if I am being stupid.

Zhang San fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 23, 2021

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
My mother told me her laptop is super slow. Set up a TeamViewer and turns out she only has 4GB of RAM to run Windows 10 and all her crap background software (I removed most of it but still). Also her SSD is 256 GB and almost full.

So I'll buy her a 1 TB SSD, image the former SSD's image on to it, and upgrade the RAM to 16 GB. The problem is, I'm not sure what the specs of the SO-DIMM she has. I guided her to remove it from the laptop and send me a picture, but it doesn't say. I can't find the specs by the serial number either. Maybe somebody here will know how to figure this out?

Any idea appreciated!

Edit: I'm a dumbass. I simply asked her to give me the exact model of the laptop and found the spec. It's DDR3 1600.

Furism fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 23, 2021

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Guiding my mom through a RAM replacement over the phone is probably what my hell looks like.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Once you start upgrading the ssd and ram you need to look really hard at wether or not it's cheaper/faster to just ship them a preconfigured, refurbished thinkpad for $250

Between the ssd and 8 gb ram you are probably getting pretty close to the cost of a 2 year old i5 thinkpad with 8gb ram and a fresh install of windows preinstalled. Given that you're replacing a momputer, this already is probably a significant upgrade over what she already has

More momputer:

I was lucky enough to have the finances to do this, but as I no longer live in the same state as my mom, when I last upgraded her momputer, she got an i7, 1TB ssd and 16gb ram. In an Intel NUC form factor. Does she need all this capability? No, God no. But all her spyware and viruses do. I only get out there once or twice a year now to scrub the worst spyware off, and while she can get away with probably a 2009 atom cpu, the extra beefy cpu and memory has been able to keep up with her spyware/bloatware habit for the last five years or so

After I get vaccinated, I'll probably be going out there again and upgrading her to whatever the current i7 NUC is, and a fresh install of windows 10 and 16gb ram, probably recycle her old 1tb ssd for the new machine

For a laptop she just has an iPad mini with one of those detachable bluetooth keyboard/screen covers

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Yea, I just buy my mom an iPad every couple years.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Hadlock posted:

Once you start upgrading the ssd and ram you need to look really hard at wether or not it's cheaper/faster to just ship them a preconfigured, refurbished thinkpad for $250

Between the ssd and 8 gb ram you are probably getting pretty close to the cost of a 2 year old i5 thinkpad with 8gb ram and a fresh install of windows preinstalled. Given that you're replacing a momputer, this already is probably a significant upgrade over what she already has

More momputer:

I was lucky enough to have the finances to do this, but as I no longer live in the same state as my mom, when I last upgraded her momputer, she got an i7, 1TB ssd and 16gb ram. In an Intel NUC form factor. Does she need all this capability? No, God no. But all her spyware and viruses do. I only get out there once or twice a year now to scrub the worst spyware off, and while she can get away with probably a 2009 atom cpu, the extra beefy cpu and memory has been able to keep up with her spyware/bloatware habit for the last five years or so

After I get vaccinated, I'll probably be going out there again and upgrading her to whatever the current i7 NUC is, and a fresh install of windows 10 and 16gb ram, probably recycle her old 1tb ssd for the new machine

For a laptop she just has an iPad mini with one of those detachable bluetooth keyboard/screen covers
Install TeamViewer with unattended access. Don't tell her.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Bob Morales posted:

this is the pro move

Udenpah
Mar 26, 2007
To see the mote that I preferred to all the lists of clay
Looking to replace a 4+ year old laptop that had a1060 with an updated 1080p gaming/informatics machine that only needs to be semi-portable. The thread has offered some good suggestions and discussion and I'm curious about the deal below:

https://deals.dell.com/en-us/productdetail/7m79

Sad that I missed out on the $1200 G14 sale at best buy, but this Alienware 15 R3 seems like a decent deal for a similar price ($1300 listed - $100 back American Express dell offer). Compared to the G14, the 15R3 has less storage (2x256GB RAID0, blech), a slightly slower processor, and is chonkier, but it does have 2070, a bigger screen, and supposedly a great keyboard. Does anyone have experience with the last round of Alienware laptops? Are 2070s a reasonable purchase in this price range right now? I suppose if I found a <1K laptop with a 2060/1660 TI and a good build quality I might bite on that, but my current machine's mother board is on the way out so I can't wait forever for deals.

Bob Morales posted:

Solid plan. Like many here I assume, I've abdicated from the familial tech support position and just get the ones I like new (refurb) devices when they've thoroughly and exhaustively ruined their old ones.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Udenpah posted:

Looking to replace a 4+ year old laptop that had a1060 with an updated 1080p gaming/informatics machine that only needs to be semi-portable. The thread has offered some good suggestions and discussion and I'm curious about the deal below:

https://deals.dell.com/en-us/productdetail/7m79

Sad that I missed out on the $1200 G14 sale at best buy, but this Alienware 15 R3 seems like a decent deal for a similar price ($1300 listed - $100 back American Express dell offer). Compared to the G14, the 15R3 has less storage (2x256GB RAID0, blech), a slightly slower processor, and is chonkier, but it does have 2070, a bigger screen, and supposedly a great keyboard. Does anyone have experience with the last round of Alienware laptops? Are 2070s a reasonable purchase in this price range right now? I suppose if I found a <1K laptop with a 2060/1660 TI and a good build quality I might bite on that, but my current machine's mother board is on the way out so I can't wait forever for deals.

Yeah, that's a good deal. Big difference with the G14 will be battery life. The R3 has a REAL bad battery life, like half as much as similar builds and about a third of the G14 (which I get ~10 hours with wifi on and playing netflix). General portability of the R3 is also worse. But if its mostly going to be on a desk it's a real nice laptop.

I'd consider a cooling pad with a 2070, note this is not the MQ (more power efficient but somewhat slower), but the full on 2070. So it'll be hot.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Looking to get a 2-in-1 laptop/tablet, my budget is roughly $2000 CAD w/ taxes and I need to get an extended warranty. This will be primarily for academic work, nothing too demanding in terms of hardware. I'm more concerned with the weight, ability to use as a tablet w/ a stylus to review, highlight and clip articles. My school provides Office 365 but imagine that doesn't make a difference. Not interested in Apple products. The two I'm looking at currently are the Lenovo Yoga 9i and Microsoft Surface Book 2 or 3.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Corte posted:

Looking to get a 2-in-1 laptop/tablet, my budget is roughly $2000 CAD w/ taxes and I need to get an extended warranty. This will be primarily for academic work, nothing too demanding in terms of hardware. I'm more concerned with the weight, ability to use as a tablet w/ a stylus to review, highlight and clip articles. My school provides Office 365 but imagine that doesn't make a difference. Not interested in Apple products. The two I'm looking at currently are the Lenovo Yoga 9i and Microsoft Surface Book 2 or 3.

I like both the Yoga and the Surface Book. Yoga gives you a bit more bang for your buck usually, surface feels a bit better and is more snazzy looking. I'd get your hands on each somewhere and see what you think. At that price I'd try to get it in a 16GB RAM config. Not strictly necessary but your spending enough that it's probably a good idea.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Woohoo, apparently my local best buy was getting stock of G15s in since I was able to order for in store pickup on Saturday. Now we'll see if they hold to that.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Corte:

I actually really love my Surface Book 2 but I hate the fact that it's so hard to upgrade. It is overpriced compared to the yoga. I will admit. Recently I read about the power block underpowering the laptop by design so I am about to buy a surface dock 2 which supposedly fixes the problem.

For painting / drawing / some sculpting it is great. For heavy duty 3d or newly released games, I don't think it cuts it anymore. I need something a bit more powerful at this point but if you are getting a machine primarily for painting / drawing and browsing / office apps, then it is fine.

Pros:
Powerful for a 2n1 (nvidia version)
Solid build (looks like a macbook pro)
Great screen (4k)
Very light. Tablet separate from base weighs almost nothing.
Nvidia and battery greatly improves performance and life
Stylus has a magnet to keep it stuck to side of screen

Cons:
Powerblock gets SUPER hot because it is underpowerd for the machine. This is fixed with the surface dock 2 - as mentioned.
Small HD space / hard to upgrade hardware. This is *sort of* fixed with using an SD card to extend HD space a bit.
Digitizer feels a little clunky compared to wacom digitizer and drivers can be finicky for line weight in Photoshop. Zbrush works great but for some reason Photoshop needs a lot of tweaking with drivers to work perfectly. Other apps like Paint storm pro and realitic painter don't seem to have this problem. It seems to have to do primarily with the digitizer driver and photoshop. "Shoelace effect" which I can't seem to completely fix.
Relatively few ports. This is somewhat forgiveable, but between this and the powerblock issue, the surface dock 2 becomes pretty appealing.
Screen detach mechanism is ... uh ... well ... finicky. This is something which has been mostly fixed with updates but sometimes you have to reboot to force the detach function to work. This might be a deal breaker for a lot of people. I actually find myself using the sylus with the screen attached to the base so I can use the Nvidia gpu with zbrush soooo.... it doesn't bother me much.

That's REALLY disappointing news about the alienware battery life. I was strongly considering it too. Hmm.

Went to Best Buy last night and was disappointed to find all the laptops packed up or sold. The location was shutting down and rep told me "sorry - all the display models were sold". Even the open box deals didn't look good. Unfortunate. The Eluktronics are looking good but I don't know how much I should trust such an off brand. Reddit users seem to like them though.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 24, 2021

Udenpah
Mar 26, 2007

Lockback posted:

Yeah, that's a good deal. Big difference with the G14 will be battery life. The R3 has a REAL bad battery life, like half as much as similar builds and about a third of the G14 (which I get ~10 hours with wifi on and playing netflix). General portability of the R3 is also worse. But if its mostly going to be on a desk it's a real nice laptop.

I'd consider a cooling pad with a 2070, note this is not the MQ (more power efficient but somewhat slower), but the full on 2070. So it'll be hot.

Thanks for the info! Also, oh dang, that's some rough battery life right there. The G14 really looks like the better all-rounder, but I do indeed plan to keep this laptop at a series of desks, though, so I think I'll grab the R3.

Does anyone have any cooling pad recommendations? My current thermal fix is a set of Altoid boxes at the corners.

bull3964 posted:

Woohoo, apparently my local best buy was getting stock of G15s in since I was able to order for in store pickup on Saturday. Now we'll see if they hold to that.

Ooo, is that the new version? The 1440p screen made them very tempting as my dying laptop had an OLED 1440p and it kinda spoils you.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Udenpah posted:

Thanks for the info! Also, oh dang, that's some rough battery life right there. The G14 really looks like the better all-rounder, but I do indeed plan to keep this laptop at a series of desks, though, so I think I'll grab the R3.

Does anyone have any cooling pad recommendations? My current thermal fix is a set of Altoid boxes at the corners.

Ooo, is that the new version? The 1440p screen made them very tempting as my dying laptop had an OLED 1440p and it kinda spoils you.

I've used a couple off Amazon and honestly anything is much better than a desk/altoid can. I use this but I suspect a bunch work well. Especially with a full 2070 it's gunna get hot:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B014F4SBMK/

I'd also say if you can increase your budget to a new G15 you'd probably be happier, but you'd be spending more.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Udenpah posted:

Yup, Ryzen 9 5900HS, RTX3070, 16gb ram, 1TB HD, QHD. $1799+tax

I'll probably pick up a second 2tb ssd to pop in there.

I was thinking of holding out for the Duo SE, but that would be over twice as much and even though it would perform better and have the 2nd screen, I could literally buy a second G15 and that put things into perspective.

This will be replacing my XPS 15 9550 with a 960m.

This is a toy, I don't need this. I have an X3700 desktop with a GTX1080 that performs just fine. For a notebook, I have an XPS 13 2:1 (ice lake) which I love.

That said, I wanted something in-between and as near as I can figure, this could actually perform a bit better than my desktop since the GTX 1080 is holding it back (not like I could buy anything to replace it right now). My desktop is a really tiny SFF (Sliger SM560) that I might actually just move to my gaming TV and use for controller based steam games, leaving the notebook to take up FPS duty.

Or vice versa, use the notebook on the TV when I want to play controller based games.

Ultimately though, i wanted a portable VR rig. My Rift is preferred when I'm on the desktop, but I also have a Quest and a simple USB cable and this notebook means I get desktop VR everywhere. Of course, that doesn't matter much RIGHT NOW, but hopefully soonish.

Udenpah
Mar 26, 2007

Lockback posted:

I'd also say if you can increase your budget to a new G15 you'd probably be happier, but you'd be spending more.

bull3964 posted:

Yup, Ryzen 9 5900HS, RTX3070, 16gb ram, 1TB HD, QHD. $1799+tax

Yeah, those are pretty much my dream specs on a laptop right now and I would snap up the G15 (actually available at my local BB right now!) in an instant if it was in the same ballpark price wise but a $600 difference is a bridge too far for my use case (lol I also have a scratch & dent XPS 2 in 1 for work/travel). I'll be curious about the BB versions benchmarks as I heard some scuttlebutt here that the 80-100 watt 3070 is not a massive gain over the 2070 (when at 1080p no ray tracing). That said, seems like it would be a great portable VR machine.

I'll probably pick up that cooling pad.

Udenpah fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Feb 25, 2021

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

XPS 13 $700 shipped from Dell - 8GB, 1080p, 256GB.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Udenpah posted:

I'll be curious about the BB versions benchmarks as I heard some scuttlebutt here that the 80-100 watt 3070 is not a massive gain over the 2070 (when at 1080p no ray tracing). That said, seems like it would be a great portable VR machine.

Dave2d had some benchmarks in his review and it's pretty decent.

This is where I take a big breath and comment about the hysterics around the mobile RTX30xx series (not saying that's coming from you, just in general across the tech sphere). Is there a greater divide between it and the corresponding desktop cards vs last generations? Yes. That's because the desktop RTX30xx cards just drink power compared to even the RTX20xx cards. So the disparity in power between mobile and desktop are more due to just how far the desktop leaped over the last generation vs a specific deficiency in the mobile parts themselves. Generation to generation, we are seeing what we normally see in the mobile parts. The desktop parts were just a larger leap than we've had for a few generations. Turns out when you have a shrunk process and have the thermal headroom to stuff as much or more power through that smaller process, performance jumps!

That said, the RTX30xx cards are still solid gains over their predecessors when you are comparing apples to apples.

It's getting kind of crazy how much we're seeing a comparison between the 100w RTX3070 in the G15 compared to an RTX2070 Super Max-P and using it to draw the conclusion that it's junk.

Sure, if you could get the G15 last year with that full wattage card in it, you would have a point. But you can't. There's always been different classes of gaming devices that have had their cards throttled or limited based on what the chassis can do. It really feels like though people are using the generation line of the RTX30xx to do a few more mental leaps than usual. This is compounded even further when they start comparing Optimus vs MUX setups which have ALWAYS had a difference in performance, this generation is no different.

But, in reality, not much has changed

Yes, it's cheaper and better value to buy last year's model when the next year is introduced. This is the way it's always been and probably always will be. So yeah, you aren't leaving too many frames on the table by buying that i7 with an RTX2070 and you should be paying less to do it. That predisposes the thing actually exists though. So yeah, if you can find that 2070 Super Max-p in a G15 sized chassis with a MUX switch for under $1800, by all means buy it and send me the link. I suspect that it's going to be tough though since it doesn't exist.

When put in similar chassis with similar thermal limits, the RTX 30xx pretty much performs 15-25% better than it's predecessor across the board. Every thing else about performance is the same choices you've always had in balancing size/portability, battery life, heat, and price. You are still going to be hard pressed to find another device for $1800 with better performance that's not a big honking device both this year and in last year's inventory.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

bull3964 posted:

This is where I take a big breath and comment about the hysterics around the mobile RTX30xx series (not saying that's coming from you, just in general across the tech sphere). Is there a greater divide between it and the corresponding desktop cards vs last generations? Yes. That's because the desktop RTX30xx cards just drink power compared to even the RTX20xx cards. So the disparity in power between mobile and desktop are more due to just how far the desktop leaped over the last generation vs a specific deficiency in the mobile parts themselves. Generation to generation, we are seeing what we normally see in the mobile parts. The desktop parts were just a larger leap than we've had for a few generations. Turns out when you have a shrunk process and have the thermal headroom to stuff as much or more power through that smaller process, performance jumps!

I am not mad, I am just disappointed in NVidia and think they should do better. Honestly, their naming scheme is the big problem. They are using lower-tier dies in laptop than desktop counterpart so the gap looks egregious. If the 3070-mobile was called the 3060ti-mobile, and the 3080 was called the 3070 mobile (because they share the exact same die) then I think a lot of the bad comparisons would go away.

This is a really good post though. You have to account for the 3000 series being super power hungry, and account for the fact that that, not really the silicon, is going to be your limiter.

The 3060 continues to look like a really nice mobile GPU though, especially combined with a Ryzen iGPU.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Have a G14 but i'd be pretty interested to see impressions of the new G15.

Sounds like they kept all the great visual and hardware design ideas that made the G14 unique.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Cheap, decent Gaming Laptop Alert!

https://deals.dell.com/en-us/mpp/productdetail/7o0h?AID=4485850

I don't like Dells usually but this is sorta ridiculous value. I believe the 5600M 6GB will perform a lot like/slightly better than the 2060MQ, just without the same RTX/DLSS performance. This would be real good for a 1080p gaming laptop, I would expect it to run hot though, the battery to last 20 minutes when the GPU was in use, and the hard drive to be not nearly big enough, but for under $700 you have some budget to play with

$685.99
AMD Ryzen 5 4600H Mobile Processor
15.6" 1920x180p FHD WVA 120Hz IPS LED Backlit Narrow Border Display w/ 720HD Webcam
256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive SSD
8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 (3200MHz)
AMD Radeon RX 5600M 6GB GDDR6 GPU
3-Cell Battery (51 Whr)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Just got notification that my BB order is available early. Woohoo, I should have some impressions in a few hours.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
My g15 came in and im very satisfied. Ive spent maybe only an hour on it, but the build quality is good and the screen is a dream.

Its a bit large and heavy compared to my 2015 13” zenbook, but being able to run CAD is well worth the tradeoff.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, happy with mine so far, just had limited time to use because I got into a minor car accident on the way back from picking it up.

I blame best buy. poo poo wouldn't have happened if it came on time.

Most. Expensive. Laptop.Ever.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

wemgo posted:

My g15 came in and im very satisfied. Ive spent maybe only an hour on it, but the build quality is good and the screen is a dream.

Its a bit large and heavy compared to my 2015 13” zenbook, but being able to run CAD is well worth the tradeoff.

Feeling the same way about upgrading to something suitable for high end 3d!

Finally made it to a Best Buy yesterday which wasn't closing. First two out of the three I visited were shutting down. Sign of the times I guess (?)
They only had a G14 and no G15s but the guy said he could order me one - however the 30 series RTX was unavailable regardless.

My impression was that the build wasn't very solid on the G14 at all and felt kind of cheap, given what was inside it. There was an open box G14 marked down to $1250 which seemed like a fair deal but there was nothing else in the store which came close to the G14 specs.

I am going to look at one more best buy just to see if they have a G15 or something similar but at this point I expect to just order my laptop online. There just isn't any point doing anything else unless I want to wait for the next generation of latpops to drop... which I don't have the time to do.

BH photo is backordered for most of their higher end laptops but man I wish I could just pull the trigger on this one.

Newegg and Amazon seem to have marginally more in stock but they are price matching Best Buy for the most part.

MSI machines are starting to look better and better. My friend's MSI GS66 Stealth was a little heavy but the build was very solid and it was almost silent on a heavy load. Most impressive laptop I have used yet but then again I haven't actually seen the ASUS G15 in person yet.

Really wish the HP envy had Nvidia as their GPU because the stylus for the surface book 2 works with it and it's an all around pretty good machine except for the Intel Iris GPU.

Heading to Best Buy and Costco now to try one last time to find something stronger than the ASUS G14. Costco can sometimes have lucrative deals.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 27, 2021

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

sigma 6 posted:

My impression was that the build wasn't very solid on the G14 at all and felt kind of cheap, given what was inside it.

This is a surprising impression. Mine feels very solid, aside from the screen being a little bit flexible. The keyboard half feels totally rigid to me.

The thing does get hot and loud, no denying it.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

I mean - it feels like plastic. The MSI GS66 stealth felt much sturdier IMO.

Also the G14 seemed small... but maybe that was my imagination.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

sigma 6 posted:

I mean - it feels like plastic. The MSI GS66 stealth felt much sturdier IMO.

Also the G14 seemed small... but maybe that was my imagination.

It’s a 14 inch screen with a fairly thin bezel and is designed to be more portable than most of the gaming laptop market.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Ah - that makes a lot of sense!!

Any opinion on Dell or HP for highend laptops? HP Omen line looked kind of interesting. Same with the Gigabyte Aero.

I just don't understand why some of these manufacturers are chintzy with ports or webcams but I guess you have to cut corners somewhere.

Frustrating how some of these manufacturers have have their ram soldered on. It isn't like that's a detail that's advertised or easy to discover. Like the some of the alienware models have soldered ram? WHY??

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 27, 2021

Udenpah
Mar 26, 2007

sigma 6 posted:

Frustrating how some of these manufacturers have have their ram soldered on. It isn't like that's a detail that's advertised or easy to discover. Like the some of the alienware models have soldered ram? WHY??

No clue. For smaller laptops its for space. For larger ones, maybe cost? Its just dumb for gamer laptops when gamers famously like upgrading things.

I've heard Dell's gaming laptops outside of Alienware have (worse somehow!) heat and build issues. I personally have a sweet tooth for Alienware's dumb aesthetic and their keyboards are super good, but boy howdy are they always pricey for this years hardware. I could only ever recommend buying older models on sale.

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, happy with mine so far, just had limited time to use because I got into a minor car accident on the way back from picking it up.

I blame best buy. poo poo wouldn't have happened if it came on time.

Most. Expensive. Laptop.Ever.

Sucks about the accident! I'm sure everything seems expensive in the context of automotive repairs.

Happy to hear y'all are enjoying your G15s. Mobile Tech Reviews likes it too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuFlKxnTLT4

G15 looks like the platonic ideal of a laptop right now (with only one stick of RAM soldered on!). If portability matters in the slightest to you, it seems like the best gig in town by a mile for this year's specs.

Udenpah fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 28, 2021

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

amd not supporting thunderbolt really sucks considering how good ryzen laptops are otherwise

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Looking for a 15” thin and light laptop with a very nice IPS screen. Should be fine with 512gb but it’d be nice to be able to save and just grab a 1tb nvme to swap in. Full keyboard with number pad is pretty important as well.

I/O wise, hdmi and an SD card reader are bonuses but not essential.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Feb 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

shrike82 posted:

amd not supporting thunderbolt really sucks considering how good ryzen laptops are otherwise

Yeah that's a hard pass for me. I use TB3 daily on both my personal and my work (so 3) laptops with my TB3 dock and accessories