Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

ManiacClown posted:

With the Leap/Climb change I really need to see what "Improved Movement: Move Through" is. I notice they didn't mention it allowing you to L/C through Hindering anymore and I have to say I don't like the idea of that being omitted nor do I think it even makes sense to the point where I suspect it may have been an editing mistake. I do, though, like that L/C is always on because rarely would I ever see someone use L/C on its own.

Their discussion on Leap/Climb mentions that there are 'new rules for breaking away and hindering terrain', so who even knows what they've got planned.

I have mixed feelings on the Combat Experts changing. I like that they're always on, but I really dislike them just being a flat +1/+1. That choice has been clutch in so many games, and removing it in favor of passive, fixed bonuses feels like you might as well just remove the power. I mean, if you have a 0-range figure, why even bother giving them CCE? Just print them with +1 attack and damage. In that situation, it really feels like it's only there so that it can be Outwitted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Torrent posted:

I mean, if you have a 0-range figure, why even bother giving them CCE? Just print them with +1 attack and damage. In that situation, it really feels like it's only there so that it can be Outwitted.

Rule of Three, unless they're doing away with that too. They downgraded it to a Silver Rule last time, so I wouldn't be surprised if they do away with it because of no longer being able to Perplex Damage. I mean, the reason they made it in the first place is figures like Ultimate Thor or Magog + the Hooker Bomb™.

Man, I just realized that there've been enough changes to the rules that Magog from Unleashed is as much an obsolete symbol of a dysfunctional time in HeroClix as he was in Kingdom Come when it came out.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

It looks like they've drastically streamlined themed teams and TTPC. Long story short:
  • There's no difference anymore between Named and Generic.
  • TTPC is now capped at 3
  • Roll bonus is capped at +3 greater than your opponent's bonus
  • One lone character is now a theme
  • TTPC is basically a one-shot use of standard Probability Control now; there's no associated token and the user can Prob itself
Again, I can't say I hate the changes. They do rein in the one advantage to playing generic themes in that some of them can get pretty ridiculously sized, meaning you can give yourself an almost (or actually) unbeatable roll bonus. That needed to be fixed for a long time, but I don't now if this was the way to do it.

EDIT: Thanks for the corrections. I also forgot the "one character can be a theme by itself now" change.

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 4, 2021

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

ManiacClown posted:

It looks like they've drastically streamlined themed teams and TTPC. Long story short:
  • There's no difference anymore between Named and Generic.
  • TTPC and initiative roll bonus are now both capped at 3
  • TTPC is basically a one-shot use of standard Probability Control now; there's no associated token and the user can Prob itself
Again, I can't say I hate the changes. They do rein in the one advantage to playing generic themes in that some of them can get pretty ridiculously sized, meaning you can give yourself an almost (or actually) unbeatable roll bonus. That needed to be fixed for a long time, but I don't now if this was the way to do it.

It's a little confusing, but:

quote:

The maximum bonus a player may get to their roll from the Initiative Bonus is +3 more than their opponent.

So, basically, if you have a 2-character theme team, and I have 8 characters, I have a +5 bonus. There was probably a better way to word that.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Red posted:

It's a little confusing, but:

So, basically, if you have a 2-character theme team, and I have 8 characters, I have a +5 bonus. There was probably a better way to word that.
Yeah, probably, but I can't think of one off the top of my head and this is okay.

Morand is gonna hate these changes though.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

So with those three errata at the end, it sounds like keyword fuckery is going out the window, which would be a ton of characters over the last few years and about half the HoX team up cards.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, probably, but I can't think of one off the top of my head and this is okay.

Morand is gonna hate these changes though.

My swarms flew too close to the sun and were burned for it.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Sanschel posted:

So with those three errata at the end, it sounds like keyword fuckery is going out the window, which would be a ton of characters over the last few years and about half the HoX team up cards.

I bought the only team up card I’m gonna once the new rules were dropped and that was the starjammers team up that gives willpower. It’s gonna be so drat good.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Morand posted:

My swarms flew too close to the sun and were burned for it.
I mean I'm not saying that WizKids was aware of your singular playstyle and how much you rely on flooding the starting zone so you can pick map. I'm just saying, I have no proof that's not true.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

The Horseman of Apocalypse and Juggernaut managed to defeat the X-Men 240-135.

The X-Men's determination to keep Mother and Jubilee alive doomed them even as the horsemen proved utterly unable to hit a leadership roll or close combat attack. Juggernaut however was more then happy to wade into the middle of the X-Men and tank all the hits while also punching them.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

And by "tank all the hits" he means "spend the entire game on his STOP click but then either get missed by all the hits or make all his imperv rolls". He just wouldn't die!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Rules changes, getcher rules changes here!
  • Bolts now work for close attacks, which is excellent and I'll fight anyone who says different.
  • Hindering terrain no longer has any effects on movement whatsoever. Tactically that's a hell of a thing I'm still digesting, but I agree with them that from a lore perspective it never made much sense. Oh no, Wolverine's in a forest! He's not comfortable in this environment and has tripped on a shrub! Come on the gently caress on.
  • Knockback is always 3 squares now, but knockback's always been a thing I basically ignore so whatever. I am, however, happy that it's now a single placement of the knocked back character in their new square, which is how everyone already played it and what it should have always been, Valeria and Groot were such avoidable problems.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

Rules changes, getcher rules changes here!
  • Bolts now work for close attacks, which is excellent and I'll fight anyone who says different.
  • Hindering terrain no longer has any effects on movement whatsoever. Tactically that's a hell of a thing I'm still digesting, but I agree with them that from a lore perspective it never made much sense. Oh no, Wolverine's in a forest! He's not comfortable in this environment and has tripped on a shrub! Come on the gently caress on.
  • Knockback is always 3 squares now, but knockback's always been a thing I basically ignore so whatever. I am, however, happy that it's now a single placement of the knocked back character in their new square, which is how everyone already played it and what it should have always been, Valeria and Groot were such avoidable problems.

Allowing people with multiple bolts to target multiple opposing characters with a close attack is the best rules change in history. That's loving awesome.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Red posted:

Allowing people with multiple bolts to target multiple opposing characters with a close attack is the best rules change in history. That's loving awesome.

They've needed a rule like that for a LONG time. As early as 2012 I envisioned having some other symbol there for characters who could multi-target close combat attacks.

As for the Hindering change, it looks like they just made obscuring terrain obsolete. I guess this is why they didn't include Hindering in that IM list a couple posts back.

I just wish they'd have kept knockback damage. I mean, if you fall off an elevation, that should hurt.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
Okay, multi-bolt punching is amazing. There's going to be so much fun to be had with that.

Losing knock back damage makes Force Blast even more useless. I wonder how they're going to upgrade it.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Torrent posted:

Okay, multi-bolt punching is amazing. There's going to be so much fun to be had with that.

Losing knock back damage makes Force Blast even more useless. I wonder how they're going to upgrade it.

This article doesn't seem to clarify what Force Blast does; I might assume Force Blast can still toss people up to the roll of the die, which would be great.

The text under Starfire says:

quote:

Starfire gets a big boost on her STOP Click. Her Earthbound/Neutralized no longer impacts moving through Hindering terrain, she can Flurry two characters at once with her 2 bolts, and her Force Blast means she can knock them back further while doing so.

Then again, from the benching article, they said they were resting FB for now, by stating:

quote:

Force Blast – Repositioning opposing characters can fluctuate between ineffective and totally oppressive, with new players rarely able to capitalize on the latter.

So who the Christ knows?

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

You know, these knockback changes make me wonder what if anything they're going to do with Quake. Maybe it'll increase the default knockback distance.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

You know I never gave a deadline for games. So seeing as tonight is the super bowl how about play by Wednesday.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
Maniac gave me a game for my birthday! After 60 minutes, the X-Men went to a 0-0 draw with the X-Men, thanks in large part to museum displays being very difficult to navigate while Rictor is building walls and Rasputin is shutting down lines of fire. Rictor nearly KO'd Tessa on the last action with a Quake, but she managed to hit her defense roll to stay alive, and I won the closing roll-off 7 to 4, giving me the technical win.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

WizKids never has been that good at making sure walls were clearly visible. It's even worse on Roll20. I may not have had the ridiculous luck ANdy did with Douglock and Shape Change but at least I did get to Poison Rasputin with Phoenix after a Trinary Outwit through Douglock. I also can't believe Rictor survived.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Happy Birthday Torrent!

Round 2 Matchups then are

Me V Torrent
Maniac V Andy.

Games by Sunday let’s say!

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

ManiacClown posted:

I also can't believe Rictor survived.

Yeah, Rictor got knocked to his last click by my first attack of the game, and then just happily lived there until the end, his 9 attack value having no trouble dropping Quakes on my 19 and 20 defenses. That guy is the reason mutants are hated and feared!

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

I've been futzing about in roll20 to make macros for rolls like Shape Change, Impervious, etc. and I've got the basic syntax working. However, I'm not certain how you would also make it show the original roll. Here's an example, which assumes you have the token for the character making the roll selected.

Breakaway using Plasticity
-----------------------
code:
@{selected|character_name} rolls to break away using Plasticity [[ {{ [[1d6+2]],0}>4 } ]] successes
Do any of you know how to make it show the source roll or do I just have to settle for kludging it with the "[0 or 1] successes" labeling?

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 9, 2021

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

The horsemen fell to the X-Men 95-45. The horsemen really don't like elevation and lost map roll to be on a map with poo poo elevations. When they finally got in there they were able to begin cracking heads, but time was called before they could go after some squishier targets. Torrent's rolls being utter garbage also helped. Apocalypse and Juggernaut were able to cast long shadows but Beast remains utterly useless, just the worst horseman with no attacks made in any game and always getting horribly mangled.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Hooray! I made macros! I made them run off the selected character. You just click on whoever's doing whatever you're rolling and then click the button on the bottom of the play area. If it involves a comparison, e.g. Leadership, Impervious, and Shape Change being at least a 5, it'll read either a 0 or 1 followed by "successes" with a 1 indicating that it succeeded. It looks like the following:
code:
024 Douglock rolls to break away:
0 successes
024 Douglock rolls to break away:
1 successes
I made macros for the following:
  • Attack
  • BCF
  • Breakaway
  • Breakaway during HSS
  • Breakaway using Plasticity
  • Breakway against Plasticity
  • Breakaway from only smaller characters
  • Force Blast's POWER
  • Impervious
  • Super Senses
  • Super Senses affected by Precision Strike
  • Leadership
  • Shape Change
  • Skrull Shape Change or other SC that only succeeds on a 6
What else should I do? Attacks with penetrating damage? Anything else?

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 12, 2021

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I missed some big attacks and lost Magneto and the game, 190-125.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

The dice really did decide it with me and Andy, I think. If Andy's Old Man Phoenix hadn't whiffed on my Phoenix— and then Jubilee doing the same— I think it would have been all over. A 10-Range, triple-targeting colossal with PsyBlast and Enhanced by an Orchis Soldier, though? Yeah, that can totally ruin someone's day.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Say, on Roll20, when someone makes a macro, is it only visible to them? Apparently Andy couldn't see the ones I'd made.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

ManiacClown posted:

Say, on Roll20, when someone makes a macro, is it only visible to them? Apparently Andy couldn't see the ones I'd made.

No idea, I've never used them before

Edit, I've been lazy, current standings and matchups for last round

Me 1-1 285
Maniac 1-1 190
Torrent 1-1 95
Andy 0 - 2 260

Weird standings since that 0-0 tie has to be counted as a double loss.

Anywho!

Me v Maniac
Torrent V Andy

As always play by Sunday!

Morand fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 15, 2021

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

The Horsemen and Juggernaut managed to defeat the X-Men 230-50.

Apocalypse and Juggernaut were absolute terrors as they were not tossed onto Maps with weird elevations. Apocalypse managed to KO both Trinary and Recorder with a charge flurry. Both Juggernaut and Apocalypse apparently were bedazzled by Emma, as every single attempt to hit her ended in a miss. Douglock fell to a Juggernaut punch wolverine BCF exploit for 6 combo. He was revived and the Ochris soldier promptly Psyblasted phoenix for 4 thanks to the Doctor's Bonuses which kept the Phoenix from being much of a factor the rest of the game. His sunspot was also KO'd and revived to give me another Ochris soldier after rogue decided to punch my other one to death. Shard, a soldier, and Sunspot then all shot the phoenix, who made 3 straight senses rolls to ignore all of it. Game was called as rogue hypered in to KO wolverine for Maniac's points.

Thinking just a straight constructed next round if everyone is up to it. Also strongly thinking we try new rules to get used to them. We may not have everything but we have enough to start a little bit I think. LMK what you think.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

That really wasn't the steamroll I thought it would be, but yeah, that Apocalypse is balls nasty and obscenely so. Personally, I'd rather stick with current rules for the next tournament precisely because we don't have everything, e.g. what the Swim ability will do, so there's my input on that front.

I have polished up the macros I made just a bit. Since apparently each player needs to make their own, I'll post the text file I have them all in. That should do for most any roll. Just add the macros one by one and then check the In Bar box to give yourself a handy button at the bottom. Then just have the relevant token selected and click the button. BOOM! It says who's doing what in the chat. I have it coded for the d6 rolls to say "0 successes" or "1 successes" and if you hover over the yellow number it'll tell you what the roll actually was. I used them and it helped me keep straight who did what, e.g. succeed at Leadership.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

They've also teased some kind of change to Breakaway, so I'd wait to adopt new rules until we get that one. Seems like a big deal.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Steve Vader posted:

They've also teased some kind of change to Breakaway, so I'd wait to adopt new rules until we get that one. Seems like a big deal.

My guess is that it voids whatever you were trying to do and you still get the token just like now but that you can then give that character a different costed action that same turn. Right now, failing breakaway Feels Bad™.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

We can test what we know.

IE: No more pushing damage. The erratta's to IM and Armor are live and hell we'll just say to any piece with an activation click. Colossal pieces don't have colossal stamina anymore, but instead have 3-6 willpower. Pieces that say they have colossal stamina like Juggy and God Doom still work as they're supposed to (Can push when have 2 tokens)

All the new power texts we know The powers comboing together.

Willpower 2021 – At the beginning of your turn, you may roll a d6. [5]-[6]: Remove an action token from this character.

Ranged Combat Expert 2021

This character modifies attack +1 and damage +1 while making a range attack or using RANGE destroy.

Close Combat Expert 2021

This character modifies attack +1 and damage +1 while making a close attack or using CLOSE destroy.

Perplex 2021

FREE: Minimum Range value 6. Choose a target within range and line of fire. Modify one of that character’s combat values other than damage +1 or -1 until your next turn.

2021 Telekinesis

Power: Minimum range value 6. Place one target friendly single-base character or object within range and line of fire into another square within range and line of fire. That square must be placed within 6 squares and line of fire from the target’s current square. Characters placed with this power can’t use Telekinesis this turn.

2021 Leap/Climb

Improved Movement Elevated, Outdoor Blocking, Move Through

No more hindering terrain restriction for movement. Since we don't know about water terrain we'll keep it as is. Likewise swim, it works like it does right now.
Knockback capping at 3. Theme team max prob is 3 and max bonus above your opponent is 3. One figure can be a theme.

I think that's all of it. It's not a shitload and it might be fun

Morand fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 16, 2021

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

They've also said this:

"Water terrain will function like clear terrain for movement and line of fire purposes, except for special effects that specifically interact with it, like Susan, Queen of Atlantis. Obscuring terrain will be functionally identical to Hindering. Moving forward, we will not utilize obscuring terrain."

Hence wondering what Swim will do.

And that there is no more Knockback damage ever, including for falling off a building.

Steve Vader fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 16, 2021

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
They did a 6th article as well that basically said pretty much all the attack powers can combo with attacks or each other now. So like, every figure with incap gets to use it when they attack rather than as it's own type of attack. Probably the change that at least made me go "huh, ok that is at least making me excited to look at some older figures and see what they can do" whereas most of the others "felt bad" haha.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Steve Vader posted:

They've also said this:

"Water terrain will function like clear terrain for movement and line of fire purposes, except for special effects that specifically interact with it, like Susan, Queen of Atlantis. Obscuring terrain will be functionally identical to Hindering. Moving forward, we will not utilize obscuring terrain."

Hence wondering what Swim will do.

And that there is no more Knockback damage ever, including for falling off a building.

Swim will probably do what it does now, give you a defense boost in water. It just won’t give you the improved movement through water anymore.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Morand posted:

Swim will probably do what it does now, give you a defense boost in water. It just won’t give you the improved movement through water anymore.

And I was wrong. Here’s what swim will do now

https://wizkids.com/heroclix/2021/02/17/heroclix-2021-rules-article-7-whats-in-a-name/

If a swimmer is in water terrain they can’t be targeted unless you are within 4 squares.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

See, I figured it would be something like "Lines of fire drawn to this character while it occupies water terrain are hindered." leading to hideously broken situations with swimmers with Stealth and water-heavy maps. This is at least simpler, but I can see it going off the rails somehow, e.g. playing Golden Age maps which of course don't exist because Wakanda is at war with Latveria; Wakanda has always been at war with Latveria.

quote:

As time goes by, we may make more changes if things like water terrain aren’t living up to everyone’s hopes and expectations.
Translation: "Oh, poo poo, we didn't think about this. Uh… uh… quasi-Stealth? Sure, let's do that. We'll fix it later if it's broken, which we control because we design the maps and old ones don't exist anymore because we pretend they don't."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

And tournament be done as it’s late Sunday and I don’t think Andy and torrent are playing their game.

You guys want to take a break for awhile? Seems like enthusiasm was lessened for this event. If anyone else wants in let me know, it’s all Roll20 so you ain’t gotta buy poo poo. Haven’t played in awhile and want to dip your toes back in? This is it!

Let me know! This is also a nice stress free way to try out the new rules as well. Andy and I tried out the new willpower rules and such in a test game and it wasn’t terrible.