Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?
Did Desmond give up 15-17 million the last two years to not play baseball? poo poo, money isn't everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

chilihead posted:

Did Desmond give up 15-17 million the last two years to not play baseball? poo poo, money isn't everything.
Something like that, yeah.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
lol mariners

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Why in the gently caress would all that come out in a speech to the Rotary Club? Do I just have no idea what the gently caress the Rotary Club is??

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Why in the gently caress would all that come out in a speech to the Rotary Club? Do I just have no idea what the gently caress the Rotary Club is??

those meetings are done in person in non-plague times and not recorded usually. also rotary clubs tend to have lots of well-to-do folks in them, especially in a place like bellevue. probably a favor to some private box owners.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Service time manipulation is so toxic to the player-team relationship. Wish there was some way to disincentivize it in the next CBA.

Also I forgot that the Mariners gave their first baseman a Scott Kingery type deal. Looks like he didn't hit much last year. I dislike deals like that because what if a guy struggles and needs to go down to the minors to work on stuff?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Good job having a team exec openly admit to loving over the players right before the CBA is about to expire

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Kevin Mather was accused of sexual harassment by several former employees, then there was that fiasco with Dr. Lorena Martin, and now this. Dude is loving toxic and needs to go. I don't care if he's a minority owner, give that ownership to Russell Wilson or something.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/RyanDivish/status/1363700705723248641?s=19

"They [the views] do not represent the views and strategy of the Mariners" like wtf you're the president, what the gently caress is the company strategy then?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

is mather's statement that the president of the team's views don't represent the organization stupider than Luhnow claiming to have no knowledge of the sign stealing from the astros?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
This up there with the Dodgers crimes.txt

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Pussy Boss posted:

Also I forgot that the Mariners gave their first baseman a Scott Kingery type deal. Looks like he didn't hit much last year. I dislike deals like that because what if a guy struggles and needs to go down to the minors to work on stuff?

Counterpoint: If the player is good, then you get him for dirt cheap for a while

Owners love it

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
lol mariners

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Feb 22, 2021

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

OK so maybe this won’t be funny to you guys, but for some reason it makes me laugh to beat the band.

Someone on twitter made a bot that does the Thom Brennaman “drive” bit, you have to @ it and use one of three keywords to get it to post.

Anyway, sometimes people see the bot post and think it’s a real person, and this kind of poo poo results (thread):

https://twitter.com/chrisfetterley/status/1363734654130524161?s=21

e: I can’t link it correctly but if you click on Chris Fetterley’s reply you can see the thread

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Feb 22, 2021

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

That is pretty funny and the person has now tweeted that they're being attacked by a cult.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

seiferguy posted:

https://twitter.com/RyanDivish/status/1363700705723248641?s=19

"They [the views] do not represent the views and strategy of the Mariners" like wtf you're the president, what the gently caress is the company strategy then?

If Stanton allowed this apology to go out then it means he probably didn't ask Mather to resign, which means these views drat well do represent those of the organization.

I don't know how I can continue to support the Mariners if Mather is kept on. What would be the point?

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

It doesn't even matter if his "views" "represent" anything because this isn't about his views.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

shirts and skins posted:

If Stanton allowed this apology to go out then it means he probably didn't ask Mather to resign, which means these views drat well do represent those of the organization.

I don't know how I can continue to support the Mariners if Mather is kept on. What would be the point?

The cynic in me says that everything he said was already known and is the dominant viewpoint among MLB owners.

With the exception of his animus towards Kuma and Julio, I guess, but I just assume every middle-aged rich person is racist. Same with the misogynism he settled his way out of: every person in that world is at least as racist/misogynistic/hateful as the next.

Sports fandom is in spite of ownership, and I've made it through much worse seasons than this is likely to be.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/ByJamesWagner/status/1363861084294287369
Love this poo poo

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Thanks for posting on sa clint

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
goodwin is cool lol

https://twitter.com/jakecrousemlb/status/1363877022515290112?s=21

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Its past 10am and Kevin Mather is still president of the Mariners!!

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Had to read that caption 4 or 5 times...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1363947555013287936

cya in 2022.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Does Clint get to keep his hair this time?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Passan did not loving miss in this column:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id...espectful-words

quote:

I wonder whether Julio Rodriguez feels comfortable and respected. He is 20 years old and one of the best prospects in baseball, a slugging right fielder from the Dominican Republic. When asked about him, Mather said: "He is loud, his English is not tremendous." Two years ago, the Mariners thought enough of Rodriguez's English to post a video of him speaking in it on their YouTube channel. His English sounds pretty good, and I don't imagine it has worsened since.

I wonder whether Jarred Kelenic feels comfortable and respected. He is 21 years old and the Mariners' other prized outfield prospect. The organization thinks so much of Kelenic, Mather told the Rotarians, it offered him a six-year contract with three club options. Because Kelenic turned it down, he said, he will be starting 2021 in the minor leagues, though the Mariners plan on bringing him up in mid-April, at which time they'll have ensured he remains under team control for an extra year. Everybody knows a foundational element of comfort and respect is service-time manipulation.

I wonder whether Marco Gonzales feels comfortable and respected. He is the Mariners' ace, a 29-year-old whom Mather considers "very boring" because ... he doesn't throw very hard? Anyway, Mather delighted in telling a story about Gonzales "pushing [former teammate Mike Leake] into the locker" after Leake resisted team rules. The problem, a source familiar with the situation told ESPN, is that the story is untrue. While Gonzales did confront Leake, he did not lay hands on him.

I wonder whether Mitch Haniger feels comfortable and respected. As was the case with most of Mather's comments, they included compliments, and initially he spoke well of the 30-year-old who has missed the past 1½ years due to injury. After suggesting Haniger will be an All-Star this season, Mather said, "he has a little bit of a chip on his shoulder as we talk about our prospects and these young kids. He's mentioned more than once: What about me?" According to a source close to Haniger, he has not discussed his standing with regards to the coming prospects.

I wonder whether Kyle Seager feels comfortable and respected. Since he debuted in 2011, Seager has compiled 32.2 wins above replacement. That's more than that of Evan Longoria, Anthony Rizzo, Nelson Cruz, Justin Upton, Justin Turner, Michael Brantley and a host of others who played in the previous 10 seasons. Before the 2015 season, Seager signed a seven-year, $100 million contract extension. Over the past six years, according to FanGraphs, he has produced $147.7 million in value. But Mather wants to say he's overpaid.

I wonder, most of all, whether Hisashi Iwakuma feels comfortable and respected. In January, the Mariners brought back Iwakuma, who pitched very well for the team over six seasons after coming over from Japan, as a special-assignment coach. After explaining the hiring, Mather's first words to the Rotarians were: "Wonderful human being. His English was terrible." Mather felt comfortable enough to air a grievance: "I'm tired of paying his interpreter." He smiled and laughed as he said it.

Iwakuma is 39. He made nearly $50 million with the Mariners. He doesn't need this job. He doesn't need this organization. He doesn't need someone who is going to look at his desire to be understood as a weakness. And he drat sure doesn't need to be judged by someone who was promoted even after he was the subject of sexual harassment complaints for allegedly rubbing one female employee's back without permission and making inappropriate jokes about women in the office to another employee.

I'm assuming because Mather is a minority owner of the team, lawyers have to be involved to get his buyout which is what's taking awhile because the org has been absolutely silent today.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/Mariners/status/1363956802988089348/photo/1

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1363958209036353546

HAHA This dude had 2 sexual harassment complaints and still got the team president job.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

2023*, don’t forget the players strike :v: :v: :v:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

bees x1000 posted:

2023*, don’t forget the players strike :v: :v: :v:

gently caress you're right.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Good, gently caress off forever

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I like how saying the quiet parts out loud is what did him in and not the awful sexual harassments but at least the piece of poo poo is finally gone

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So now I'm really curious if Kelenic is on the opening day roster. It would be too obvious if they don't call him up until April right? Like surely they would lose that case.

Popete fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 22, 2021

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
That’s a much stronger statement than I expected.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Eat poo poo Mather you won't be missed

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Hmm do I use my billion dollar organization’s money to hire a $75k/yr interpreter, or bitch about it and get myself fired? Decisions decisions.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
But man, he must have looked pretty cool in front of that Rotary Club.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Popete posted:

So now I'm really curious if Kelenic is on the opening day roster. It would be too obvious if they don't call him up until April right? Like surely they would lose that case.

He's absolutely starting the season on the roster imo

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Jarred Kelenic had 21 games in AA in 2019, obviously no games in 2020 (spent it on the split roster though), so it really wouldn't be out of the picture to have him spend time in AAA in normal circumstances. Alas, Mather has sort of screwed the pooch on this one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

seiferguy posted:

Jarred Kelenic had 21 games in AA in 2019, obviously no games in 2020 (spent it on the split roster though), so it really wouldn't be out of the picture to have him spend time in AAA in normal circumstances. Alas, Mather has sort of screwed the pooch on this one!

I sure hope airing the grievances of the Mariners' best prospect since King Felix was worth it!