Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
sorry yeah BW parsed what I was trying to get across. it's just incredibly shallow baby-brained jingoism I'd have expected as part of a Veteran's Day anthology during the early years of the Iraq War, sans maybe the very on-the-nose framing of a young woman of color tired of being :goonsay:ed that signals this as the woke kind of propaganda, not as part of DC's event sending up the diversifying roster change they were too cowardly to go through with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Xelkelvos posted:

The finale of Nightwing just made me want Dick as the new Bat even more. There's about to be two Wonder Women, why can't we have two Batmen?

This is how they lost me during the New 52. If the concept of Batman was anywhere even close to reality, you'd have multiple people wearing the costume! Batman Incorporated was a fantastic concept, and I also enjoyed Scott Snyder's work with Dick as Batman more than just about anything else he's done in Bat-books. But it felt like they just noped away from it as quickly as they could. Granted, it offers the potential for some uncomfortable parallels to real-world private military corporations that I doubt most of DC's editors would have been willing to run with.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I really don't understand why they didn't continue with having Bruce and Dick be Batman at the same time. It gives a good explanation for why Batman is seemingly everywhere, you can distinguish them with different costumes and bat symbols, and you can have a fun athletic one and a grim serious detective.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Dickbats was probably the best idea DC ever walked back,

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Skwirl posted:

Dickbats was probably the best idea DC ever walked back,

DickBats, WallyFlash, and KyleLantern were the best

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Because the people writing the comics remember the time when their Batman/Green Lantern/Flash was the same guy that's been around since the 60s

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Nystral posted:

Only one of these doesn't sound outright obscene.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

Because the people writing the comics remember the time when their Batman/Green Lantern/Flash was the same guy that's been around since the 60s

Ahh, the Geoff johns infection.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Madkal posted:

But soon...the people writing comics will be the ones who remember DickBat.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Nystral posted:

My man!

Edit: What's been going on with Kyle by the way? Is he still Space Jesus White Lantern?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Nah he's currently a Green Lantern again, pretty much just doing Green Lantern things. He hasn't gotten too much focus recently, but he pops up now and again in the big group shots.

Obligatory "Robert Venditti's GLC series is great! GL fans should read it!" plug

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, Kyle is just 'secondary GL #3' now, Dick is back to being Nightwing (and soon being written by Tom Taylor and getting a cute doggo) and Wally is... like... a double murderer or something? I lose track of the absolute shitshow DC's made of returning him when they clearly didn't want to have to deal with it.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Now that Future State is nearing its end, is there a definitive timeline that lays out when all these stories were supposed to take place? I only read about half of the books, in release order, and I'm trying to make sense of the grand picture. Even the secondary stories in the each book tended to jump around the chronology.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/lets-have-another-look-at-the-dc-future-state-timeline/

Gotham City Sirens and Catwoman sorta don't mix. I'd need to recheck Superman/Wonder Woman since it felt like that one took place before JL, but I might be misremembering.

Series within each box are listed in alphabetical order and not when they take place in relation to each other.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Pioneer42 posted:

Now that Future State is nearing its end, is there a definitive timeline that lays out when all these stories were supposed to take place? I only read about half of the books, in release order, and I'm trying to make sense of the grand picture. Even the secondary stories in the each book tended to jump around the chronology.

Honestly, best not to think too much about it. Just let it pass from your mind to become yet another forgotten gimmick.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
"Thread", as the kids say.

https://twitter.com/seankmckeever/status/1364052978362155011

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

So who was telling them that? The EIC or something at the time I guess?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Xelkelvos posted:

Probably Geoff Johns given the comments about Static not being "Street" enough and then Ray Fisher's experience on Justice League.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Skwirl posted:

Probably Geoff Johns given the comments about Static not being "Street" enough and then Ray Fisher's experience on Justice League.

Pretty sure Johns wasn't an editor when McKeever was at DC. Or, like, ever.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Xelkelvos posted:

McKeever is on record as saying that his editor was basically writing Titans and he was just doing the dialogue.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

This seems mean.

https://twitter.com/seankmckeever/status/1364075077021667335?s=20

So I looked this up. The credited editors on McKeever's run were:

Executive editor: Dan DiDio (of course)

Editors: Eddie Berganza, Adam Schlagman, Dan DiDio, Rex Ogle, Elisabeth V. Gehrlein, Brian Cunningham

Static joins the team in #69 (nice) edited by Ogle and Cunningham, and McKeever's last issue is #71 in July 2001. Geoff Johns was still a writer and didn't get promoted to CCO until February 2010. McDuffie was a writer, not on editorial, and I wouldn't be too surprised to hear he didn't get editors' notes.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 23, 2021

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Can I mention that as a spanish speaker, Eddie Berganza's last name is hilarious.
It is like a mixture of Venganza (vengeance or revenge) and Verga (Crass way of sayin Dick) replacing the V with a B

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well, he was a serial sexual harasser, im not sure if it really that funny.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Endless Mike posted:

This seems mean.

https://twitter.com/seankmckeever/status/1364075077021667335?s=20

So I looked this up. The credited editors on McKeever's run were:

Executive editor: Dan DiDio (of course)

Editors: Eddie Berganza, Adam Schlagman, Dan DiDio, Rex Ogle, Elisabeth V. Gehrlein, Brian Cunningham

Static joins the team in #69 (nice) edited by Ogle and Cunningham, and McKeever's last issue is #71 in July 2001. Geoff Johns was still a writer and didn't get promoted to CCO until February 2010. McDuffie was a writer, not on editorial, and I wouldn't be too surprised to hear he didn't get editors' notes.

I want to break this down issue by issue because it really is a lot of turnover and tumult on the issue by issue level:

#50-53: ed. Eddie Berganza, Adam Schlagman asst. ed.
#54-58: ed. Dan Didio, asst. ed. Adam Schlagman
#59-62: eds. Didio & Schlagman
#63-65: eds. Didio & Elisabeth Gehrlein
#66-67: eds. Gehrlein & Brian Cunningham
#68-71: ed. Brian Cunningham, asst. ed. Rex Ogle

From here Bryan Q. Miller takes over main writing duties, then Felicia Henderson with #75, then JT Krul for #78-79, then back to Henderson again, while McKeever sticks around to do Ravager back-ups:
#72-79: ed. Cunningham, asst. ed. Ogle
#80: ed. Cunningham & Rachel Gluckstern
#80: ed. Gluckstern, asst. ed. Rex Ogle

He also wrote Terror Titans:
#1-2: ed. Didio & Gehrlein, asst. ed. Rex Ogle
#3: ed. Gehrlein & Cunningham, asst. ed. Rex Ogle
#4: ed. Gehrlein & Didio, asst. ed. Ogle
#5-6: ed. Cunningham, asst. ed. Ogle

So, lots of hands on deck, many of them incompetent, but no Geoff Johns.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Well, he was a serial sexual harasser, im not sure if it really that funny.

It is called dark humor for a reason.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Man, I remember one of those McKeever Ravager backups starts with Ravager kicking a one-night stand out of band and saying "get out before I cut it off." I couldn't imagine how the guy who wrote Sentinel, Gravity, Young Allies and Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane wrote that if he had a choice and it turns out he probably didn't.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

Series within each box are listed in alphabetical order and not when they take place in relation to each other.

Ok, I guess that works. Would have been nice to have this inserted on the back page of the number ones or something.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Honestly, best not to think too much about it. Just let it pass from your mind to become yet another forgotten gimmick.

I'd like to, but it looks like they're importing a lot of it into the "normal" runs. The GL franchise is looking bleak at the moment.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Dawgstar posted:

McKeever is on record as saying that his editor was basically writing Titans and he was just doing the dialogue.

there's at least one issue of McKeever's run (#69 I think) with the odd credit of "Original Story by Sean McKeever" and nobody actually credited for writing the script

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Noticed that it has been a bit quiet here, so I will ask how is Generation Forged? Is it worth reading? Anything important coming out of it? Any info on Infinite Frontier?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Madkal posted:

Noticed that it has been a bit quiet here, so I will ask how is Generation Forged? Is it worth reading? Anything important coming out of it? Any info on Infinite Frontier?

It is like staring full into the madness of ancient comic readers dying in a fever dream.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
So it's a modern Dan Jurgens book.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Madkal posted:

Good,yes,probably not, idk

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

For 10 bucks you should buy almost anything else.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lord_Hambrose posted:

For 10 bucks you should buy almost anything else.

Nah. It is a good classic comic book. People bought the future state dreck. It is a much better book.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Future State was so ultimately bland and forgettable, I can't really deny that Forged is... Memorable... I definitely feel that if you got into comics less that 30 years ago Forged just has nothing what so ever to care about. It is a pointless strange mess, but it is ultimately inoffensive.

The price is still robbery. Go buy any 9.99 Image volume one instead.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Can DC bring back the really weird Elseworlds style back? They can get really weird and creative with that.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

SHAZADAM! ARE YOU loving KIDDING ME BENDIS!

Real talk though. Infinite Frontier is good as hell and has me back on board with DC again. Comics!

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI
I just picked up the 2 Green Lantern season 1 trades and I kinda....hated them? I normally like Grant Morrison and normally like Green Lantern stuff, but it just felt messy and off. The issues felt like they came straight out of the 90s, art and all. Dunno. Am I crazy for not being too into them?

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009

Doji Sekushi posted:

I just picked up the 2 Green Lantern season 1 trades and I kinda....hated them? I normally like Grant Morrison and normally like Green Lantern stuff, but it just felt messy and off. The issues felt like they came straight out of the 90s, art and all. Dunno. Am I crazy for not being too into them?
No, I have similar feelings about them myself. It's one of the few works of theirs that I can genuinely say feels short on ideas, and it's really visible how much they're burnt out on Big 2 superhero comics. Liam Sharp turning in top-tier work throughout the entire project is probably the only reason not to dismiss the work completely.

Arkhams Razor fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

OldMemes posted:

Can DC bring back the really weird Elseworlds style back? They can get really weird and creative with that.

I want a mini-series of the hybrid superhero Earth that basically spun out of the Elseworlds where Batman becomes a GL. Also a return to the High Fantasy, almost everyone is magic, Elseworld the sorta, maybe got expanded one when DC tried to make a MOBA