Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

xtal posted:

Yeah. To watch at the circus.

Beats anything else to do at the circus, so... :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
The Blizzcon came and went.

Overwatch 2 is looking good, although there's still no release date:

https://www.ign.com/articles/overwatch-2-55-new-details-blizzcon-2021-pvp-pve-campaign-changes

TLDR:
Experimenting with role passives (less knockback/ultcharge for shooting tanks, faster speed for dps, passive selfheals for healers)
Reinhardt is being tested with cancellable charge with better controls and 2 firestrikes. Similar level changes to other characters too?
2cp is cancelled... maybe. (#BringBackMoonBaseAndParisYouCowards)
Dynamic weather looks really nice.
Bit more about new hero Sojourn (Railgun!) and 2 new maps (New York and Rome)
also lot of PVE stuff. (and I mean LOT)

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I'm always amazed how the animation team manages to make me smile like an idiot with very brief moments like this one (should start at 1:47).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRj-GotnNaQ&t=107s

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Interview with Jeff about OW2 stuff:
https://www.ign.com/articles/overwatch-2-at-blizzcon-2021-the-big-jeff-kaplan-interview

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

adhuin posted:

The Blizzcon came and went.

Overwatch 2 is looking good, although there's still no release date:

https://www.ign.com/articles/overwatch-2-55-new-details-blizzcon-2021-pvp-pve-campaign-changes

TLDR:
Experimenting with role passives (less knockback/ultcharge for shooting tanks, faster speed for dps, passive selfheals for healers)
Reinhardt is being tested with cancellable charge with better controls and 2 firestrikes. Similar level change
You're missing the forest for the trees on Rein, he was an example of how they're converting tanks to brawler types. It sounds like OW2 is surrendering to the overwhelming pubbie desire to play DPS by scrapping the current setup and offering different flavors of DPS.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Honestly, OW has never really had WoW-style “tanks.” Rein has a big shield and lots of HP, but he spends at least half the time bashing dudes with the hammer and killing everyone with his ult. The closest thing we ever got to a “tank” was pre-rework Brigitte.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Now they just need to eliminate healers.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

it looks like Jeff is well aware of the fundamental design problems with overwatch and also that they can't actually make any major changes to the live game because of this kind of poo poo:

Father Wendigo posted:

It sounds like OW2 is surrendering to the overwhelming pubbie desire to play DPS

3/2/1 was the most positive change they've made since the game released and they went back on it in like a day lol

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

if only there weren't a dozen more DPS heroes than either tanks or healers

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
Looks like they're going down to 5v5.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Father Wendigo posted:

You're missing the forest for the trees on Rein, he was an example of how they're converting tanks to brawler types. It sounds like OW2 is surrendering to the overwhelming pubbie desire to play DPS by scrapping the current setup and offering different flavors of DPS.

If that means people who play actual DPS spend less time shooting at force fields, all the better. The problem isn’t Rein or any one tank, it’s the number of force fields that have been added through new characters and reworks piled on top of the ones that have been around at launch.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'd much rather play a faster game with less barriers to shoot through on top of healing.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I like playing a game that makes team cooperation the most important component of winning, and has lots of ways to carry that don't involve putting a crosshair pixel on a head pixel.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

oh don't worry ow2 will still probably be all about who presses q at the right time

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
This thread will be moving to Games!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Announcement:
Overwatch still good.

Also hello people of the games.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

headcase posted:

I like playing a game that makes team cooperation the most important component of winning, and has lots of ways to carry that don't involve putting a crosshair pixel on a head pixel.

There's ways to do that that don't involve making the game a slog

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
RIP the tryhard thread. We are all tryhards now.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

cancellable charge NOW

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

Splinter posted:

RIP the tryhard thread. We are all tryhards now.

The tryhard thread should be rebooted if you all think it is still something that will be active. The OP was pretty out of date, and the thread did not get much activity. :(

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

I think we're good with single thread + Overwatch league thread until Overwatch 2 is closer to the release.

We can always tryhard here.

Also:

black.lion posted:

cancellable charge NOW

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I haven't played since before Sigma, but I'm cautiously optimistic about Overwatch 2.

Not into the PVE stuff though. Grinding levels for 100 hours for Left 4 Dead co-op doesn't seem all that appealing to me.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

It won't happen ever, but it'd be good if while removing shields from the game they also just removed ultimates entirely

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Not that shields don't need some serious cutbacks, but "Overwatch but everyone's a DPS with no shields or healing or ults" is just... every other FPS ever made. See: Valorant. Generic click-head-to-win DPS like Widow and McCree are the least interesting part of the game, not the model you should base everyone on.

e: I do certainly agree that some ults are just way too loving good, like Zarya's. Ults should be a cool trick you throw out to shift how a fight is going a bit, not a free team wipe or a get-out-of-jail-free card.

megane fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 23, 2021

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

megane posted:

Not that shields don't need some serious cutbacks, but "Overwatch but everyone's a DPS with no shields or healing or ults" is just... every other FPS ever made. See: Valorant. Generic click-head-to-win DPS like Widow and McCree are the least interesting part of the game, not the model you should base everyone on.

e: I do certainly agree that some ults are just way too loving good, like Zarya's. Ults should be a cool trick you throw out to shift how a fight is going a bit, not a free team wipe or a get-out-of-jail-free card.

There's hardly any new online fps that let you, quake-style, move at full speed while also shooting accurately and without having to ADS, besides Overwatch. Everybody is making BRs besides a handful of takes on counterstrike.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Even Riot knew that the world doesn't need a first-person LoL and instead ripped off CSGO while keeping character abilities relatively low impact and strictly secondary to the gunplay

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Team Fortress 2 got by just fine without shields.

I think the goal shouldn't be to remove shields entirely, but to make it so that picking Reinhardt is more engaging than just holding right click for 5 minutes.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

This all started with the ubercharge, god drat you medic

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Wheeee posted:

Even Riot knew that the world doesn't need a first-person LoL and instead ripped off CSGO while keeping character abilities relatively low impact and strictly secondary to the gunplay

And the result is a game where the character you're playing and their abilities and the nominal objective are all footnotes next to Click Head With Gun. Your team and how you're moving and the design of the map and what the enemy is doing only matter insofar as they make it slightly easier or harder to Click Head With Gun. And of course everyone uses the same two laser-accurate automatic rifles every single round because they're the best at Click Head With Gun and nothing else is of any consequence. If that's fun for you, great, play it. I'm poo poo at Head Clicking, and so Overwatch and TF2 are basically the only FPSs where I'm allowed to accomplish anything.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

megane posted:

And the result is a game where the character you're playing and their abilities and the nominal objective are all footnotes next to Click Head With Gun. Your team and how you're moving and the design of the map and what the enemy is doing only matter insofar as they make it slightly easier or harder to Click Head With Gun. And of course everyone uses the same two laser-accurate automatic rifles every single round because they're the best at Click Head With Gun and nothing else is of any consequence. If that's fun for you, great, play it. I'm poo poo at Head Clicking, and so Overwatch and TF2 are basically the only FPSs where I'm allowed to accomplish anything.

My friend let me preach to you the gospel of Tribes 2.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
It sounds like you don't like FPSes. Just the FP.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I’m genuinely looking forward to Overwatch co op because I want to play with friends who suck rear end at games without getting frustrated at how bad they are and I think co op allows that because as we all know they take much less skill.

Also nerf this >:3

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
So the comp thread is now closed with the sub-forum closing so I guess this is the new place to hang out. I just made the realization this week that player level should absolutely not be displayed publicly in OW2. I'm being bullied almost every time I play now for being gold bordered hard-stuck in gold/plat. Anytime anyone starts assigning blame for losing now, someone starts bullying because of borders. EVERY DAY I PLAY. Even if it's not happening to me specifically it's happening to someone else in my games. It's like the new thing to bully about.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

cosmicjim posted:

So the comp thread is now closed with the sub-forum closing so I guess this is the new place to hang out. I just made the realization this week that player level should absolutely not be displayed publicly in OW2. I'm being bullied almost every time I play now for being gold bordered hard-stuck in gold/plat. Anytime anyone starts assigning blame for losing now, someone starts bullying because of borders. EVERY DAY I PLAY. Even if it's not happening to me specifically it's happening to someone else in my games. It's like the new thing to bully about.

That’s just any shithead in any online game really. I mute just about to everyone I’m in a game with unless i know them and play with purely gamesense.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
On a similar note, they really shouldn't show medals for stats until after the game. A lot of toxicity stems from someone besides DPS having the silver or gold damage medal, especially early game when it is even less meaningless than normal.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Ostentatious posted:

That’s just any shithead in any online game really. I mute just about to everyone I’m in a game with unless i know them and play with purely gamesense.

I've played first person games for 24+ years. People being poo poo heads is not new, and not solvable. Being bullied based on rank combined with playtime is solveable. These are the kinds of problems that Blizzard loves solving.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

The frustrating thing is stuff like medals and portraits or whatever were added with the best of intentions and these tools that are meant to make you feel better about how you are playing are weaponized by assholes. It happens even in Diamond and it’s maddening.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

cosmicjim posted:

I've played first person games for 24+ years. People being poo poo heads is not new, and not solvable. Being bullied based on rank combined with playtime is solveable. These are the kinds of problems that Blizzard loves solving.

It is not, because the bullying isn't really about your borders or colour of your medals.
It's about them not being able to handle losing 50% of the time and needing someone to blame to boost their fragile ego.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Roth posted:

Team Fortress 2 got by just fine without shields.

I think the goal shouldn't be to remove shields entirely, but to make it so that picking Reinhardt is more engaging than just holding right click for 5 minutes.

I think the big takeaway for Overwatch from the TF2 story would be that game modes where you limited medics to one per team played way better. Being the sole medic was a stressful but highly engaging experience that made you the prime focus of the 11 or 17 other people on the server. Being in a pub game where you were one of a pack of 2 or 3 medics was a lot easier on the medics' nerves, but often ended the game immediately because the other team had less medics, or just ground the game to a halt when both teams had multiples. (the latter didn't come up much)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

adhuin posted:

It is not, because the bullying isn't really about your borders or colour of your medals.
It's about them not being able to handle losing 50% of the time and needing someone to blame to boost their fragile ego.

No poo poo that isn't what it's about, lol. The point is this particular problem is solveable. Is there anyone else here that plays comp with a gold or higher border, that is in gold or below? If not, you really dont know how much of an pain in the rear end it is, that can be easily avoided.

cosmicjim fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 23, 2021