Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

bicievino posted:

Virtually everyone who cares about going fast on a bike should be on a zero offset seatpost.

I went from a stock setback post to an inline post to a forward-offset post (?!) to a custom frame with a 78 degree seat tube (and an inline post). Don't look at me like that! I'm normal dammit!

I wish I was fast though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

sweat poteto posted:

It's enough that you care. <3

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

sweat poteto posted:

I went from a stock setback post to an inline post to a forward-offset post (?!) to a custom frame with a 78 degree seat tube (and an inline post). Don't look at me like that! I'm normal dammit!

I feel this post, I'm pretty tall with long legs so by the time I've got the saddle high enough of a lot of frames I'm now stretching for the bars. The only way I've found to fix it is a straight post with the saddle scooted forward, but I was considering a forward post on one of my bikes.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Setback is preference by feel and anatomy.
Except 0 setback and leaned all over the front of your bike is correct :getin:

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

jammyozzy posted:

I was considering a forward post on one of my bikes.

I used the Fast Forward post as a test before getting the frame. No problem except it's ugly as hell.. and I crushed the carbon at the clamp, but that's probably my fault. The redshift post looks better.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I'm not sure the redshift post in forward mode will let you set the saddle level.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

I'm not sure the redshift post in forward mode will let you set the saddle level.
It is a parallelogram linkage, so I don't think the saddle angle changes. I'll double check next time I get my hands on it. Related: does anyone want to buy a redshift seatpost from santa Cruz bike church?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CopperHound posted:

It is a parallelogram linkage, so I don't think the saddle angle changes. I'll double check next time I get my hands on it. Related: does anyone want to buy a redshift seatpost from santa Cruz bike church?

You're right: https://redshiftsports.com/products/dual-position-seatpost
Though I swear it looked tipped forward on mine.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Nothing to do with seatposts, angles, or any of that. Just a way to carry more when I stop at the grocery store on my way home from work.

New rack.
New rack on my bike by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

And I tightened up the brake cables a bit, hoping to reduce the freeplay in the levers.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

And I tightened up the brake cables a bit, hoping to reduce the freeplay in the levers.

Did it work?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

kimbo305 posted:

Did it work?

1/2 worked. The front brake lever is still a little loose for my liking. I need to adjust the rear derailleur cable, too, so I have a reason to spend a bit more time with my bike tomorrow.

The rack works well. I've never had one before and I'm discovering some new considerations. Such as the way the bike really wants to fall over when there's 12 bottles of beer in a bag on the rack.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

1/2 worked. The front brake lever is still a little loose for my liking.

If you were doing only the barrel adjuster, then you should loosen that all the way and pull more cable though the brake arm clamp before going back to the barrel.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

jammyozzy posted:

I feel this post, I'm pretty tall with long legs so by the time I've got the saddle high enough of a lot of frames I'm now stretching for the bars. The only way I've found to fix it is a straight post with the saddle scooted forward, but I was considering a forward post on one of my bikes.

Isn't this like the classic "don't adjust reach with saddle setback" thing? I.e. change stem??

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
short legs long torso squad :negative:

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

amenenema posted:

Isn't this like the classic "don't adjust reach with saddle setback" thing? I.e. change stem??

Yes.
As you say, they're two independent but related measurements, and jamming the saddle back or forwards to solve for handlebar reach isn't ideal.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

e.pilot posted:

short legs long torso squad :negative:

This is me but a five level spinal fusion so I can’t reach poo poo.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Voodoofly posted:

This is me but a five level spinal fusion so I can’t reach poo poo.

:stare:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

amenenema posted:

For sure, and I've already done that on my bikes but there's a couple where the stem was getting so short it was making the bike too twitchy, and the next step was start messing with the saddle.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

amenenema posted:

As for seatposts, when I was trying to find a post for my Rockhopper -> gravel build basically everything I read said that except for some very edge cases setback posts don't make sense. TT's and weird fit situations were the common exceptions. Got any examples of more "general use"? I'm genuinely curious!

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Lift your skinny stem like an antenna to heaven

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Holy moly look at this bike

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Recs for bladed spoke holder? I have Mavic Ellipses and Zipp 404s, which seem to be quite different in spoke profile. But guessing most tools are universal?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Park Tool BSH-4
Big honkin' plastic dog bone with 4 sides.
Gets the job the done, cheap.

DT-swiss
Expensive, but it's the best one I know of.
Fits a tool box easily. If paired with the DT swiss nipple wrench, it's holds the spoke as close possible to the nipple to prevent twisting.
Size specific.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Lol what problem is this geo trying to fix, low bridge clearance?!?

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
Well the Praxis PF86 BB that started acting up at mile ~750 finally gave up at exactly mile 1500. Along with the broken chainrings and spider, the whole setup has been nothing but trouble. Constant creaking and popping noises unless it was fully cleaned and greased once a week. It did shift well though.

The whole thing has been pulled and set aside. I pressed in a Dura Ace BB and I am just waiting on the GRX crankset to arrive. On a related note, I tried my best to buy from a local shop. But none of them have the aforementioned parts in stock and they all quote 2 week+ arrival times. Oh well.

Hopefull this will put my BB/crankset issues to rest once and for all.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

kimbo305 posted:

If you were doing only the barrel adjuster, then you should loosen that all the way and pull more cable though the brake arm clamp before going back to the barrel.

I got lazy on Sunday and didn't do poo poo. The adjustments I did on Saturday were exactly that - loosen holding screw at brake calipers, pull cable through the brake arm clamp (i.e. move arm tighter while pulling on wire; I need a third hand), tighten screw, lament the tendency of the arm to move as I try to rotate the screw.
Yesterday (Monday) I tried to tighten up the front brakes with the barrel adjuster. It was already maxed out at the caliper, but I put a few rotations on it at the lever. Made a small difference. I need to stop being so lazy and actually work on it, and do what you suggest.

Also, the chain is jumping under load. This is particularly noticeable in the smallest front chainring, but that could be confounded by the fact that I mostly push hard only when I'm starting from stop or climbing a hill, which is when I'm on that smallest front ring. It also jumps when I'm on the other front chainrings, just less often. The problem is rapidly getting worse, I need to solve this before my bike becomes unrideable halfway to work.
The bike was doing this in January, and when I took it to the LBS where I bought it for my free first maintenance they solved that problem. I want to solve this myself, rather than give them money.

What screw do I turn to make my chain jump under load less often? What keywords should I throw at Youtube to find a good video?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

ExecuDork posted:

I got lazy on Sunday and didn't do poo poo. The adjustments I did on Saturday were exactly that - loosen holding screw at brake calipers, pull cable through the brake arm clamp (i.e. move arm tighter while pulling on wire; I need a third hand), tighten screw, lament the tendency of the arm to move as I try to rotate the screw.
Yesterday (Monday) I tried to tighten up the front brakes with the barrel adjuster. It was already maxed out at the caliper, but I put a few rotations on it at the lever. Made a small difference. I need to stop being so lazy and actually work on it, and do what you suggest.

Also, the chain is jumping under load. This is particularly noticeable in the smallest front chainring, but that could be confounded by the fact that I mostly push hard only when I'm starting from stop or climbing a hill, which is when I'm on that smallest front ring. It also jumps when I'm on the other front chainrings, just less often. The problem is rapidly getting worse, I need to solve this before my bike becomes unrideable halfway to work.
The bike was doing this in January, and when I took it to the LBS where I bought it for my free first maintenance they solved that problem. I want to solve this myself, rather than give them money.

What screw do I turn to make my chain jump under load less often? What keywords should I throw at Youtube to find a good video?

There are two most common causes of chain jumping under load:
1) chain and/or chainrings are worn. How many miles do you have on it (and in what kind of conditions)?
2) derailleurs misaligned. It seems unlikely that the problem would be rapidly deteriorating if it was just misalignment, but here is the service manual for your Tourney derailleurs: https://si.shimano.com/#/en/DM/GN0001 . I couldn't find a good video that covered both front and rear tourney derailleur adjustment, although there appear to be a few for rear.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

bicievino posted:

There are two most common causes of chain jumping under load:
1) chain and/or chainrings are worn. How many miles do you have on it (and in what kind of conditions)?
2) derailleurs misaligned. It seems unlikely that the problem would be rapidly deteriorating if it was just misalignment, but here is the service manual for your Tourney derailleurs: https://si.shimano.com/#/en/DM/GN0001 . I couldn't find a good video that covered both front and rear tourney derailleur adjustment, although there appear to be a few for rear.
About 850km on it, overwhelmingly on the paved MUP of my commute, plus a bit of the MTB trails every once in a while. Never in mud, the path is paved (used to be some coarse gravel parts, since been paved over) everywhere and I don't ride the MTB trails after rain - the sign at the entrance asked me not to because of erosion issues. If I'm not on the MUP or the trails I'm on city streets, gentle hills and mild traffic on good paved roads. I probably spend 80% of my time in the middle gear at the rear, 4. But the chain will jump under load in other rear gears.

Thanks for the manual, I'll have a look. I strongly suspect the issue is at the rear. Maybe if I get extra-ambitious I'll clamp my GoPro to the rear frame and see if I can capture a chain jump event.

Does the goon hivemind have a prefered chain lube? Conditions are dry most of the time but I do ride in the rain sometimes.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

I got lazy on Sunday and didn't do poo poo. The adjustments I did on Saturday were exactly that - loosen holding screw at brake calipers, pull cable through the brake arm clamp (i.e. move arm tighter while pulling on wire; I need a third hand)

Not that it's come to it yet, but there is a tool by that name. Or cable puller for the less poetic
https://www.amazon.com.au/Pedros-138900-Cable-Puller/dp/B000IZGF6A

Knockoff might be ok, the critical parts are the ratchet and squeezed width
https://www.amazon.com.au/LILASTORE-Cycling-Ergonomic-Carbon-Bicycle/dp/B07RHHWKTP

I generally don't find I need it for brakes, but front derailleur cable, yeah, it can be handy.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/rear-derailleur-adjustment

This helped me get my rear derailleur dialed in. It was still skipping, so I ended getting a new cassette (which I haven't installed yet).

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

ExecuDork posted:

About 850km on it, overwhelmingly on the paved MUP of my commute, plus a bit of the MTB trails every once in a while. Never in mud, the path is paved (used to be some coarse gravel parts, since been paved over) everywhere and I don't ride the MTB trails after rain - the sign at the entrance asked me not to because of erosion issues. If I'm not on the MUP or the trails I'm on city streets, gentle hills and mild traffic on good paved roads. I probably spend 80% of my time in the middle gear at the rear, 4. But the chain will jump under load in other rear gears.

Thanks for the manual, I'll have a look. I strongly suspect the issue is at the rear. Maybe if I get extra-ambitious I'll clamp my GoPro to the rear frame and see if I can capture a chain jump event.

Does the goon hivemind have a prefered chain lube? Conditions are dry most of the time but I do ride in the rain sometimes.

Take close-up photos of your chainrings and cassette.

Also the hivemind generally recommends Rock n Roll Gold.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

I just purchased a park tool bike stand and it appears to be missing one screw (Button Head Cap Screw M5 x 30mm). This is probably a stupid question, but is there any reason I really need to wait for Park Tools to figure out how to send me a replacement screw, or am I fine just going to a local hardware store and buying the same type of screw to use? If it makes a difference it's the screw being inserted right here in this assembly video.

If a normal screw is fine, is there any magic to threadlocker or will anyone do the trick (I notice it has what I assume is threadlocker on the screw in that video).

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

Any M5x30 screw should do.

Chance are if you buy one from a hardware store it won't have the threadlock patch on it, but you can just put any low or medium strength liquid theeadlocker on it (like Loctite 222 or 242) and it will be fine.

You can probably get away without threadlocker and just check it's snug occasionally.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I have that exact stand and while it's excellent in holding the bike up why on earth doesn't it come with a more useful tool/small part holder? Probably an aftermarket upgrade they want to sell.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

simmyb posted:

Any M5x30 screw should do.

Chance are if you buy one from a hardware store it won't have the threadlock patch on it, but you can just put any low or medium strength liquid theeadlocker on it (like Loctite 222 or 242) and it will be fine.

You can probably get away without threadlocker and just check it's snug occasionally.

Yep that worked thanks. And I'm foregoing thread locker for now in the chance that Park Tool does respond and send me their official bolt for some reason (I just asked them to give me a tiny store credit instead so I can but a chain checker or something).

Salt Fish posted:

I have that exact stand and while it's excellent in holding the bike up why on earth doesn't it come with a more useful tool/small part holder? Probably an aftermarket upgrade they want to sell.

Yeah they will probably get me eventually with that upsale too. I just wanted something heavy enough to hold my 50ish pound bike while staying stable, plus had a quick release on the clamp so that I didn't have to hold my 50ish pound bike for too long clamping it in.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

TobinHatesYou posted:

Take close-up photos of your chainrings and cassette.

Also the hivemind generally recommends Rock n Roll Gold.
No photos, sorry. But that's a good idea, I should take some photos regardless, to serve as a reference when the next problem crops up. The bike was brand-new in November and I've been commuting ~15 km / day since then so I'd be surprised (and looking into my warranty) if the components were worn. The tires have a clear wear pattern right down the middle of the tread, but it's not deep and it's not uneven or patchy.

This morning I put it up on the stand, then turned it around so the chain side was away from the stand, then stared at it for a bit.
I pulled the dried grass and crap out of the cassette, which was solidly wedged in right along 3-4-5, plus some seeds and gunk out of the hanger. And I lubed the chain with the el-cheapo "dry conditions only" lube I bought at Aldi months ago, and took it through all of the gears and generally hosed with it.

Total success! My commute was chain-jump free and all of my shifts, starts, and hill-climbs were smooth. Also, my chain was much, much less noisy - it had been pretty squeaky before.

Also, I realized while it was on the stand that my messing with the brakes now means there's a slight drag on the rear wheel, the caliper on one side is lightly rubbing the brake disk. And the brake disk is very slightly off-true, perhaps it's a bit warped or misaligned (or the wheel is a tiny bit misaligned in the frame, dunno). It's not enough drag to notice when I'm riding, it just slows the wheel down on the stand after I stop pedalling with my hand. A problem for the weekend.

I'll add Rock n Roll Gold to my shopping list, thanks!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

it had been pretty squeaky before

You'll want to get lube on your chain as soon as you hear any squeaks.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Just replaced my chain after about 5000km because it had become rusty this winter after poor maintenance. I sized it to the same length and same amount of links as the old one (checked both by laying them side by side). Reused the quick link for now to test.
It's now slipping under load. Can improve this by tensioning stuff or is this definitely caused by wear of the casette?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

You’ve probably ruined the cassette if you ran a lovely rusted chain for that long, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

You’ve probably ruined the cassette if you ran a lovely rusted chain for that long, yes.

I didn't cycle with it while rusty, it sat in a damp shed for a couple of months and it got a bit rusty so i replaced it before riding again.