Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Trying to bring a little professionalism to this sad thread:

Nation's #1 Air Passenger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

petit choux posted:

Trying to bring a little professionalism to this sad thread:

Nation's #1 Air Passenger

I also love it how he's a "doctor." These guys are televangelists for the business world.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
How do you even find the space for all these weird thrift store records?

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
What's this stuff on my record? I wipe my finger on it and it goes away easily.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
kind of looks like water stains

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

zaepg posted:

Get as far away from it as you can and contact the authorities.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CPL593H posted:

How do you even find the space for all these weird thrift store records?

About the same way you do for all those weird non-thrift store records. It is getting a little tight in here though.

zaepg posted:

Fungus. the sleeve and possibly jacket are lousy with it if you see this.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Feb 22, 2021

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

How did that happen?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

petit choux posted:

You're probably right but it could also be from getting wet or having cleaning fluid that wasn't washed off. Zaepg, if you know someone who has access to a vacuum machine or know of a store that will provide that service it would probably fix that regardless of what that residue is. Should there be mold or fungus in the jacket you can kill it with a light spraying of Lysol or a similar product. This also works on covers. I would not recommend playing it like that because it can damage your stylus.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CPL593H posted:

You're probably right but it could also be from getting wet or having cleaning fluid that wasn't washed off. Zaepg, if you know someone who has access to a vacuum machine or know of a store that will provide that service it would probably fix that regardless of what that residue is. Should there be mold or fungus in the jacket you can kill it with a light spraying of Lysol or a similar product. This also works on covers. I would not recommend playing it like that because it can damage your stylus.

Having searched junk stores throughout the Great Dismal Swamp area I can say that if you have mold on the record, it's best to replace the sleeve, possibly the jacket.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

petit choux posted:

Having searched junk stores throughout the :grovertoot: area I can say that if you have mold on the record, it's best to replace the sleeve, possibly the jacket.

It depends on how much mold I think. I've had no problem with the lighter poo poo. Stuff that looks like water stains (but you know, are mold), throw that poo poo the gently caress out.

Which reminds me. Does anyone have a lovely copy of Magical Mystery Tour with a decent cover? And when I say "decent" I just mean just not falling apart, with water stains. or torn up or anything. I don't care about ring wear and it doesn't have to be absolutely perfect. I just need a cover and don't care about the disc. I'll pay the cost of shipping if somebody doesn't mind sending me one.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 22, 2021

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

petit choux posted:

Having searched junk stores throughout the Great Dismal Swamp area I can say that if you have mold on the record, it's best to replace the sleeve, possibly the jacket.

Great Dismal Swamp? Were you on the hunt to find groverhaus?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Ballz posted:

Great Dismal Swamp? Were you on the hunt to find groverhaus?

Is groverhaus still standing or at all occupied?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I live about 20 minutes away from it, I’ve thought of hopping in the car and making a pilgrimage one day but so far I’ve been too lazy to track down the specific address.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I mean, couldn't you follow the sirens?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Ballz posted:

I live about 20 minutes away from it, I’ve thought of hopping in the car and making a pilgrimage one day but so far I’ve been too lazy to track down the specific address.

I'm thinking you'll probably spot it pretty easily.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
You have to take a picture of it

you know, his house

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I tried googling a more specific location but “groverhaus address suffolk va” gives me results for local crematoriums. Seriously.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Ballz posted:

I tried googling a more specific location but “groverhaus address suffolk va” gives me results for local crematoriums. Seriously.

Ballz Self-Titled NM/NM condition ltd to 1 copy filled with whatever gas burning bodies create

A white hot stamper if I ever saw one.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Cemetry Gator posted:

I mean, couldn't you follow the sirens?

The Sirens of Groverhaus

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Last few Discogs order have really made me question what I should expect a "NM" sleeve to be. And not in a good way.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Speaking of Discogs. . .

I'm new to vinyl, and have ordered probably a dozen records off discogs, to generally satisfactory results, other than generally paying $20-25 a record by the time it's shipped.

Saturday I went to my local brick and mortar music store and picked up some solid 70s/80s classics. The stuff I bought is all in line with VG+ by Discogs standards. The jackets have price stickers on them from the shop, but otherwise are in solid enough shape.

All used, and all for about half or less of what discogs would have cost me. Just as an example: I got Billy Joel's Stranger for $8, Yes's Fragile for $5, Genesis' Selling England by the Pound for $10, etc. Even the stuff they had featured on their walls was still pretty cheap, like $20-30.

So my question is, what the gently caress, Discogs? I'm assuming a B&M would rather err toward volume than per-item profit compared to someone selling out of their home, but even so.

Is this how it is everywhere, or did I just find a really good shop?

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Feb 22, 2021

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

stealie72 posted:

Speaking of Discogs. . .

I'm new to vinyl, and have ordered probably a dozen records off discogs, to generally satisfactory results, other than generally paying $20-25 a record by the time it's shipped.

Saturday I went to my local brick and mortar music store and picked up some solid 70s/80s classics. The stuff I bought is all in line with VG+ by Discogs standards. The jackets have price stickers on them from the shop, but otherwise are in solid enough shape.

All used, and all for about half or less of what discogs would have cost me. Just as an example: I got Billy Joel's Stranger for $8, Yes's Fragile for $5, Genesis' Selling England by the Pound for $10, etc. Even the stuff they had featured on their walls was still pretty cheap, like $20-30.

So my question is, what the gently caress, Discogs? I'm assuming a B&M would rather err toward volume than per-item profit compared to someone selling out of their home, but even so.

In my experience, a lot of the stuff on Discogs is priced at "because that's what it can be priced at" prices, not respective of brick and mortar pricing.

Some of the prices on Discogs also vary wildly from pressing to pressing. Coveted, great sounding pressings can be high priced, while ones that "don't sound as good" (on $30k listening setups) can be very cheap. When shopping in a store, a lot of folks are just grabbing the record because they want it and see it on a shelf. They aren't looking up which specific pressings are superior to others and doing research before buying. You see this a lot in jazz records on Discogs where garbage represses are cheap, vs. great ones are $100+.

Pre-covid, the wild world of record shows was yet another pricing ballgame where you could not only find rare stuff for cheap or wildly overpriced, but could also haggle over prices while getting weird judgemental looks for what you're buying.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Discogs is good for some things and bad for other things. Often I’ll look for actual b&m shops on Discogs because their prices are much more fair than individual sellers. That’s what I recommend.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

dorium posted:

Discogs is good for some things and bad for other things. Often I’ll look for actual b&m shops on Discogs because their prices are much more fair than individual sellers. That’s what I recommend.

This is the right answer. To expand, Discogs is good for rare records or odd pressings, not great if you just want a classic rock album that has been repressed 9000 times.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Yeah 90% of the time I'm using discogs for weird old records that aren't at the local shop and looking for best price/condition I can get.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
This all makes sense. Because I also keep looking on discogs and then on amazon for common things, and time and time again I can get it cheaper on amazon with next day delivery, as well.

More fun to dig through crates anyway. I never knew I missed bullshitting with the guy at the music store.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
The best thing about crate digging is when you find something really cool you can't pass up.

That's how I have my mono copy of Bookends. It was $50, but given how I wasn't going to see it again, it was worth it.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo

zaepg posted:

petit choux posted:

I know this is going to bother me. Vinyl records are one thing I can get finicky over.

The records are brand new bought in the last month, so the white substance came on really fast. They weren't there when I bought the record. I have a new record I got 2 weeks ago and it's already covered. I'll end up buying some cleaning agents and give everything a good clean down. It's also on the Polyethylene outer sleeves which gives me a suspicious feeling they might be the culprits.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

stealie72 posted:

More fun to dig through crates anyway. I never knew I missed bullshitting with the guy at the music store.
My record purchasing has ground to a halt because digging through crates every Saturday was my jam. Real good decompression from the week's troubles.

God, I could use that right about now. :smith:

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

dorium posted:

I've found this to be true but also had instances where they clearly threw up the listing without really checking the condition properly as they probably had however many hundreds to get through that day. I very rarely buy anything listed as less than VG+ as theoretically VG+ should play absolutely perfectly so you have some recourse if there's a problem. The few times where I've had to send stuff back it's typically private sellers who are incredibly apologetic/bend over backwards to make amends whereas shops will usually just shrug and say send it back - those shops go on the blacklist.

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy

Turbinosamente posted:

See so far I've dodged Whipped Cream but accidentally ended up with two copies of Barry Manilow Live instead.

Don't be like me.

Kicking myself for not taking the inherited apartment barry manilow record with copacabana on it when I moved

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

zaepg posted:

I know this is going to bother me. Vinyl records are one thing I can get finicky over.

I'd look into invest into a decent dehumidifier to put in whatever room you're housing your records.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

zaepg posted:

The records are brand new bought in the last month, so the white substance came on really fast. They weren't there when I bought the record. I have a new record I got 2 weeks ago and it's already covered. I'll end up buying some cleaning agents and give everything a good clean down. It's also on the Polyethylene outer sleeves which gives me a suspicious feeling they might be the culprits.

I would bet you have an ultrasonic humidifier and the white is the minerals from the water settling on everything, especially if everything is new and you can easily wipe it off. Turn it down or switch to an evaporative humidifier.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

thetan_guy42 posted:

Kicking myself for not taking the inherited apartment barry manilow record with copacabana on it when I moved

What also sucks is that Live album is before Copacabana so I don't even get that. So is Tryin' To Get The Feeling, the other one I randomly have.

And todays mail woo! Nothing with as good a cover image as Tarkus, but I can't wait to get them cleaned and on the turntable!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

stealie72 posted:

Speaking of Discogs. . .

It varies pretty wildly from store to store. A lot of stores will price cheaper than online because they're not assholes and it gives you the incentive to not go home and buy it online. But many others give no gently caress and will price it at or higher than discogs prices. A lot of people live in areas where record stores aren't accessible so online merchants have decided that this is The Price. I called one guy's store to see if he could do any better on a copy of Meat is Murder than the 30-40 bucks I was seeing all over discogs and ebay. He wanted seventy five dollars and got pissed off at asking me if there was something special about it or it was an original UK press, then he condescendingly explained how to buy records to me. I ended up going on ebay and buying it for 40 bucks with an EP that usually costs about 20 bucks. That was a place I usually recommended to people too. Great job, jerkoff!

Anyway, I strongly prefer stores for a lot of reasons. Before the coronavirus most stores were cheaper than online but because people are stuck in the house the prices have gone crazy and stores are struggling to stay open so their prices have become online prices. People do charge a general range on discogs but if you have patience and create a wish list with email alerts you can get what you want. About a month ago I got the mono version of Their Satanic Majesties Request for 14 bucks. The cheapest copy I saw before that was about 50 bucks. In short, some dealers are honest and there aren't truly any universal prices. If you want to buy classic rock poo poo I find that you'll get better deals on those things on ebay if you're buying online.

zaepg posted:

A lot of new records will have weird residue on them just from the chemicals they use to release them from the molds or general manufacturing, though I've never seen it this bad. Once you clean that ditch the sleeves they came with and replace them with these:

https://mofi.com/products/mfslis_original_master_record_inner_sleeves_pack_of_50

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I hope nobody wanted any Daft Punk LPs because they just broke up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNl5qjvKbs4&t=56s