Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Dabir posted:

The Dreamcast games haven't aged poorly, they sucked when they came out too.

Lots of wrong opinions being spouted in here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I know, can you believe there's people who like them

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I enjoyed them a lot when i got the gamecube release, but also I genuinely enjoyed shadow the hedgehog despite the fact that its absolutely not a good game so i don't think I'm allowed to have credible opnions.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

SA1 is as good as the Genesis games or at least close

Augus fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 22, 2021

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sonic Adventure 1 is better than The Godfather

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Augus posted:

SA1 is as good as the Genesis games or at least close

Sonic 3D Blast was on the Genesis so sure

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Sonic Adventure 1 is the great American novel, exceeding Hemingway in its narrative and cultural significance.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I was really blown away by SA1 at the time. I had a Saturn (no imports) during the 32-bit generation, so I also probably would have found a flaming bag of dog poo poo impressive.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

azurite posted:

I was really blown away by SA1 at the time. I had a Saturn (no imports) during the 32-bit generation, so I also probably would have found a flaming bag of dog poo poo impressive.

SA1 was just a very technically impressive game for 1998, the dreamcast was the first 6th gen console after all.

Augus fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 22, 2021

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

Augus posted:

SA1 was just a very technically impressive game for 1998, the dreamcast was the first 6th gen console after all.

didn't sonic adventure release on NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

BoosterDuck posted:

didn't sonic adventure release on NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN

In the US yeah, it was late 98 in Japan

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Zoig posted:

I enjoyed them a lot when i got the gamecube release, but also I genuinely enjoyed shadow the hedgehog despite the fact that its absolutely not a good game so i don't think I'm allowed to have credible opnions.

your opinions are credible and welcomed

cryptic castle, digital circuit, cosmic fall, and gun fortress are cool levels

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I don't have strong opinions about Shadow as a game apart from it being kinda goofy conceptually and it being a further loosening of Sonic Heroes mechanics which were a looser Adventure 2

But I Am (All of Me) is a Crush 40 banger

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

shadow the hedgehog doesn't actually have a morality system, it's a CYOA game where you strategically plot a route between okay-to-decent levels while trying your best to avoid the terrible levels.
choose wisely and you get to go to Space Gadget, choose poorly and you get thrown into Lost Impact jail

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Augus posted:

shadow the hedgehog doesn't actually have a morality system, it's a CYOA game where you strategically plot a route between okay-to-decent levels while trying your best to avoid the terrible levels.
choose wisely and you get to go to Space Gadget, choose poorly and you get thrown into Lost Impact jail

it also has a ridiculous amount of cutscenes because iirc the game has a unique cutscene for each of the hero, neutral, and dark endings to the stages because they all lead to different stages

At one point I was trying to see every single cutscene but there are some levels that just suck to do so I eventually gave up

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Yeah, you have to do 10 endings to get the real ending so by the time you go for ending 6 you know what levels suck and what ones are cool. Whats funny is I recall most of the levels you get going full evil sucked rear end, while most of the good levels were on the good guy path. I also recall never figuring out how to do the good guy route in the jungle level which seems like a intentional bit saving players from the worst level in the game, as that would lead to the 30 min nightmare of lost impact.

Also yeah im always a sucker for cool level ideas, its something i always enjoy and why even if mystic mansion was a struggle for a lot of people i never got frustrated with it.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

We all laugh at the gunshot menu sound, but it's legit off-putting. Kinda like the Ehrgeiz menu sound.

Electric Phantasm fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 22, 2021

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

And every route had its own name. Someone at Sega had to sit down and name each and every one of them, and I seem to remember there being like 800 of the loving things.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

There's only 326. You could do 1 a day and be finished in a year

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

And every route had its own name. Someone at Sega had to sit down and name each and every one of them, and I seem to remember there being like 800 of the loving things.

It's like the best part of the game

http://info.sonicretro.org/List_of_Shadow_the_Hedgehog_Library_sequences

"The Road to Self-Assurance"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Shadow has some pretty good music between Westopolis, Cosmic Fall, I Am, Waking Up...

and then there's All Hail Shadow.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

kirbysuperstar posted:

and then there's All Hail Shadow.

I always forget that AHS was a Shadow the Hedgehog joint and didn't debut in 06

gently caress it, Shadow the Hedgehog is good

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the only segmented 100% Full Library speedrun of Shadow the Hedgehog on the internet is 181 hours long even with optimal movement and exploiting the infinite chaos control glitch that lets you skip entire levels.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Augus posted:

the only segmented 100% Full Library speedrun of Shadow the Hedgehog on the internet is 181 hours long even with optimal movement and exploiting the infinite chaos control glitch that lets you skip entire levels.

Infinite Chaos Control glitch? How does that work?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Larryb posted:

Infinite Chaos Control glitch? How does that work?

You build up the blue bar, stand on a checkpoint, press X/O and then immediately press Y/Triangle. If you do it fast enough shadow will be using chaos control while the warp menu is up and the meter won't deplete so you can go as far as you want
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsd_do2J8RI&t=93s
The downside is that it can make the game crash easily, hence the 98 crashes in that speedrun

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Also, iirc, its only good for the third of the goals?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In other news, apparently Roger stepped down from the role of Sonic willingly:

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2021/02/roger-craig-smith-reveals-sonic-departure-was-his-decision-its-time-to-be-done/

Which makes me wonder why Tails and Amy’s VA’s are leaving then (and if anyone’s actually sticking around besides Mike).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 22, 2021

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Xad posted:

tbh I just recently played through SA2 and at this point I've learned the level layouts enough that I never need to actually do a rail transfer, I usually jump most of the way down that one spiral rail part near the beginning of Final Rush, does anyone else do that? It was always really funny to do that in multiplayer because it looked like you just gave up but nope the rail's down there

I think I started doing that when I was trying for A-ranks, it's a fun skip

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Hey! Hey!! Nobody better be badmouthing SA2 in here

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Shadow the Hedgehog is just horrible, just awful to play, but I love its particular brand of stupid so bad. Someone please recommend me a good LP of it so I can experience the gunshot menu and Vector screaming and the president wearily looking upon his picture of Sonic giving a thumbs up and Shadow crossing his arms without actually playing the game

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

womb with a view posted:

Shadow the Hedgehog is just horrible, just awful to play, but I love its particular brand of stupid so bad. Someone please recommend me a good LP of it so I can experience the gunshot menu and Vector screaming and the president wearily looking upon his picture of Sonic giving a thumbs up and Shadow crossing his arms without actually playing the game

I remember liking this one in 2011 when it was made (jesus christ that was almost 10 years ago). There's another one on the archive I guess? Never watched that one. Otherwise, if you're willing to wait a bit, raocow has been playing through every (no seriously, every) official sonic game in order for the past year and a half(?) and is about to reach Shadow, once he gets past poo poo like the official tie-in Flash games for Sonic X with graphics that look like MSPaint.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Larryb posted:

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2021/02/roger-craig-smith-reveals-sonic-departure-was-his-decision-its-time-to-be-done/

Which makes me wonder why Tails and Amy’s VA’s are leaving then (and if anyone’s actually sticking around besides Mike).

This was definitely a pay thing. Mike just loves being Eggman that much, I guess. And I love him being Eggman, so, thanks for working for peanuts, dude!

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Larryb posted:

It seems like there's still a possibility of different voice casts between the games and Sonic Prime. Mike has only confirmed that he will be voicing Eggman in future games but I think he still won't say anything about Prime. Colleen said she was not voicing Tails in Prime but I haven't seen her say anything else other than she'd like to voice him in the second movie but can't say more than that.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 23, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

J-Spot posted:

It seems like there's still a possibility of different voice casts between the games and Sonic Prime. Mike has only confirmed that he will be voicing Eggman in future games but I think he still won't say anything about Prime. Colleen said she was not voicing Tails in Prime but I haven't her say anything else other than she'd like to voice him in the second movie but can't say more than that.

Ah, for some reason I thought she said a while back that she was straight up leaving the role, same goes for Cindy Robinson (Amy).

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE
Despite the fact that all my memories of the Sonic Adventure games now seem like nightmares that would be the opposite of fun, I very much enjoyed both games when they first came out.

In other news, when the first one came out I was a colossally stupid teenager who had been saving up for a long time to be able to buy my first console and its launch title while riding a high-stakes hype train about how Sonic Adventure being good would mean Sega's survival against the Playstation that was ruining gaming by making it popular, and when the second one came along I was Doing Fandom with my girlfriend, and I'm sure, I'm sure all these things are unrelated and the bad games I can remember were actually good

Buml0r fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 23, 2021

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Party Boat posted:

I think I started doing that when I was trying for A-ranks, it's a fun skip

It's not used in speedruns, however, because actually riding the rail gets you down there faster than even the bounce bracelet!

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Guess its time to post my favorite Shadow the Hedgehog video again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npKwbkTyZNQ

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I'm just gonna say it. The "SEGAAA" choir sucks. It's loud and obnoxious. First thing I do after booting up those Sonic games is turn down the volume. Not worth the cartridge space in any of the Genesis titles. The wow factor only existed for people who knew enough about video games to recognize a voice clip is uncommon. The two-note Master System one is less intrusive. Just give me the modern *woosh*"sega." or even the strange eyeball with an off-key note.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Heran Bago posted:

I'm just gonna say it. The "SEGAAA" choir sucks.

How dare you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Heran Bago posted:

I'm just gonna say it. The "SEGAAA" choir sucks. It's loud and obnoxious. First thing I do after booting up those Sonic games is turn down the volume. Not worth the cartridge space in any of the Genesis titles. The wow factor only existed for people who knew enough about video games to recognize a voice clip is uncommon. The two-note Master System one is less intrusive. Just give me the modern *woosh*"sega." or even the strange eyeball with an off-key note.

This is the lamest banme I have ever seen