Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
This really isn't the gotcha you think it is, I don't need to look something up to know Tilly's first name is Sylvia

What's the next impossible test, asking what Georgiou or Pike's first names are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

ooh I know this one it's empress and captain

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I mean really it doesn't matter because as someone who really likes Discovery a lot, and thinks it's as good as most Trek shows, it's about the *ways* in which something is failing, and whether those bother you or not. Like, nobody's wrong when they say the turbolifts look stupid, I think so too, it just doesn't matter to me. And it's true that the show seems to occasionally think 'oh poo poo, we should make people care about X background character now' and clumsily tries to make you care. That bothers me, but it doesn't bother me a lot. Just a bit. So it doesn't spoil Disco for me. But it might for someone else.
It's why I value it so much when people explain why they think something is bad. Disco's clumsy attempts at inclusion, its heavy reliance on Michael, its over-emotionality, its lack of plot cohesion - those things don't really bother me. The thing I hate most in Disco as of early season 3 is that the writers seem to think Georgiou is amusing and badass and fun to have around and I think she's repulsive and awful and is spoiling every scene she's in. Which is quite some feat considering how amazing her actress is. Michelle Yeoh is incredible, please give her better lines. Ugh.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
Yeesh some of you are missing the point entirely. It’s not about whether you remember a character’s name or not. It’s about why the character has one at all. Half of those actors don’t need to be named because they’ve done nothing. People don’t remember their names because their names, their function, nor their character serve no purpose on the show.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Super Deuce posted:

Yeesh some of you are missing the point entirely. It’s not about whether you remember a character’s name or not. It’s about why the character has one at all. Half of those actors don’t need to be named because they’ve done nothing. People don’t remember their names because their names, their function, nor their character serve no purpose on the show.

Their function is "it is well established it takes such and such people to run a starship (helmsman, comms, etc.), so it is necessary to show these recurring characters at their stations every episode, but the story isn't about them."

I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

It's kinda weird to do a bunch of promotional photos with them as the subjects though if they're just reoccurring extras.

I do think the writers really did intend them to be characters and are just terrible at their job.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
They wanted to do the office thing where the background extras slowly morph into supporting characters. Oops, 3 seasons later and we forgot to give any of them a personality!

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
My name is Brhys. My job is to look dismayed when bad things happen. Burnham's on the bridge! Now I'm clapping!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Their function is "it is well established it takes such and such people to run a starship (helmsman, comms, etc.), so it is necessary to show these recurring characters at their stations every episode, but the story isn't about them."

I don't think there's anything wrong with that.
The weird thing about that complaint is that Trek used to specifically add random background characters just to kill them off and have a sad moment. These characters are slightly above redshirt level, but it's not a failing of a show to have designated background characters or featured extras. This isn't present on shows with different settings, and I think sci-fi viewers are just used to cataloging everything. If this were a police procedural, nobody would care about the background cop who gets a few lines sometimes but doesn't get his own cases.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

sticklefifer posted:

The weird thing about that complaint is that Trek used to specifically add random background characters just to kill them off and have a sad moment. These characters are slightly above redshirt level, but it's not a failing of a show to have designated background characters or featured extras. This isn't present on shows with different settings, and I think sci-fi viewers are just used to cataloging everything. If this were a police procedural, nobody would care about the background cop who gets a few lines sometimes but doesn't get his own cases.

The show isnt designating them as background recurring extras though, it keeps trying to pretend they are main cast.

E: hence that photo

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 21, 2021

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
You’re basing that entire argument on promotional shots though. No one ever talks about them in interviews because they aren’t meant to be main characters. Their actors aren’t listed in the main title credits. They aren’t main characters. It’s the Saru/Michael/Tilly/Stamets show.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean yes do you know what a promotional shot is.

They don’t use extras in them for a reason

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Who gives a poo poo about publicity photos. They just wanted some shots of the bridge crew, big deal.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It’s also not even just a shot of the bridge crew; it’s a behind the scenes group shot of everyone who was in that particular scene during filming (except for Cornwell’s actress). That’s why they’re wearing the medals from the finale of season 1.

Sometimes a picture is just a picture and not a Writer’s Bible on who serves what function and what their entire backstory is.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 21, 2021

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Look if you want to rationalize it whatever but that is the point of a promotional pic to show what’s important, whether it ends up like that or not

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Look if you want to rationalize it whatever but that is the point of a promotional pic to show what’s important, whether it ends up like that or not

It's a single behind the scenes pic of a specific scene from a single loving episode, but sure, by all means continue on with this inane argument.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.

CharlestheHammer posted:

'Promotional pics' aren't usually taken on a phone camera and include electric cables for the lighting rig lying on the floor in them. You can't compare something someone grabbed in 2 minutes on set to fart out as a tweet with promo materials for a TV guide taken by a professional photographer in 1996. They are completely different things.

Disco's got its own structure, and is a completely different type of show to what came before, and that's absolutely fine. Unfortunately, it's also an incompetently put together garbage fire train wreck, so that just means it gets to poo poo the bed in bold and creative new directions instead.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's a single behind the scenes pic of a specific scene from a single loving episode, but sure, by all means continue on with this inane argument.

And from a picture that's 4 years old at that.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Guys, I'm really confused. I kept seeing this promo picture of Spock leaning against a cool car in a Hollywood parking lot, but from what I can tell that car never even appears in TOS???? Absolute failure of storytelling.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Guys, I'm really confused. I kept seeing this promo picture of Spock leaning against a cool car in a Hollywood parking lot, but from what I can tell that car never even appears in TOS???? Absolute failure of storytelling.

That was from season 4

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
TOS season 4 is real and it is my friend

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I can't believe they put a bridge window on Spock's space Buick. These guys aren't thinking!

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i dont really think theres a defence of those lovely secondary characters and how they're used other than like "you cant except tv writers to understand how to develop them". does star trek need them to be good? no, you can get by with only a handful of interesting and well written characters alone. does discovery need them to be good? yeah

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Drink-Mix Man posted:

A Q did it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Is this that QAnon thing I've been hearing about in the news lately?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nitrousoxide posted:

It's kinda weird to do a bunch of promotional photos with them as the subjects though if they're just reoccurring extras.

I do think the writers really did intend them to be characters and are just terrible at their job.

It's almost like all prior Star Trek shows had ensemble core casts made up of the bridge crew and department chiefs or something. Why would anyone be confused as to why the characters in this Star Trek show aren't being treated the same?

:thunk:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The show has been very upfront with who the main characters are since the pilot episode, so I don’t know why you’d continue to be confused by this four years later.

I mean the show shouldn’t be laser focused on only a couple characters and absolutely should be an ensemble like every Trek since TNG, but that’s beside the point.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The show has been very upfront with who the main characters are since the pilot episode, so I don’t know why you’d continue to be confused by this four years later.

I mean the show shouldn’t be laser focused on only a couple characters and absolutely should be an ensemble like every Trek since TNG, but that’s beside the point.

Because the show keeps trying to have its cake and eat it too with them being dropped into all the roles an ensemble cast would fill, like the aborted attempt at dinner to increase ship morale.

Or being relatively-major characters in the mirror universe like the main cast in other Trek Shows.

Or giving them a big focal set of scenes in the finale trying to save the ship.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

nine-gear crow posted:

Is this that QAnon thing I've been hearing about in the news lately?

I dunno, better ask them to decrypt PDL 257 to make sure.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Because the show keeps trying to have its cake and eat it too with them being dropped into all the roles an ensemble cast would fill, like the aborted attempt at dinner to increase ship morale.

Or being relatively-major characters in the mirror universe like the main cast in other Trek Shows.

Or giving them a big focal set of scenes in the finale trying to save the ship.

And honestly, when those guys actually get given a line or two then for the most part they are showing off that they really could be given more screentime.

Detmer's storyline is straight up offensive to anyone who's actually had experience of dealing with PTSD, but Coutts delivers what she's asked to do. I don't particularly like the way Tilly's character is basically a Doctor-Who sidekick, but I did really like her character arc this season right up until the show ran it into a brick wall and Mary Wiseman did well. Oyin Oladejo... well I don't think anyone can do much with 'my character's defining trait is I'm Guybrush Threepwood's joke talent' but she does what she's told to.

I know we say this every season, but now that they've finally put Michael in the chair and shut down all the future-plot threads that could have continued on, they could just softly-reset to a TNG style ensemble adventure show. They won't, but they could.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

End STD, make a new spinoff that's just Stamets and Reno being catty bitches to each other while fixing things across starfleet.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It felt this season in particular like they really didn’t know what to do with Tilly

She was very involved with everything in the first two seasons, but her only arc was the nonsense First Officer assignment, which they didn’t bother to finish?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It still bothers me that they made an Astromycologist the chief engineer of a starship where he was also the head science guy on a super science experiment ship

It makes no sense whatsoever and I don't think the spore drive set was meant to be engineering when it was made either, just at some point someone was looking to Find/Replace Scotty or Geordi or B'elanna or Trip for a script and just went... ehhhhh.. Stamets

its dumb

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It’s because they’ve been trying to clumsily retrofit Discovery into the traditional Trek ensemble mold, which on one had is a good thing. But it kinda introduces some awkward and dumb stuff, yeah.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

He's not the chief engineer. He's only in charge of the spore drive, nothing else. We don't know who the chief is, maybe they don't have a singular one.

He was listed as chief engineer on one background screen in season one but they said that was a production screwup.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Argyle is finally the chief.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Also keep in mind we are only doing ~10 Ep seasons.

Cant really have a Data's cat episode when you have to tell a tight story of how the most special girl in the universe is going to save the world again.

apatheticman fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 22, 2021

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MikeJF posted:

He's not the chief engineer. He's only in charge of the spore drive, nothing else. We don't know who the chief is, maybe they don't have a singular one.

He was listed as chief engineer on one background screen in season one but they said that was a production screwup.

Then where the gently caress is the chief engineer when they have captains briefings or when they need to redesign their propulsion interface constantly or at promotion ceremonies or farewell parties for space Nazis?

This explanation is actually WORSE

apatheticman posted:

Also keep in mind we are only doing ~10 Ep seasons.

Cant really have a Data's cat episode when you have to tell a tight story of how the most special girl in the universe is going to save the world again.

You know more about the characters in one season of the expanse or the magicians or the boys, with a similar number of episodes

Also lol tight story

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

It felt this season in particular like they really didn’t know what to do with Tilly

She was very involved with everything in the first two seasons, but her only arc was the nonsense First Officer assignment, which they didn’t bother to finish?

They take it right up until the point at which Discovery gets captured (not amazingly, but Tilly's arc for 3 seasons has been 'I'm really nervous and awkward but I want to be a Captain one day' and season 3 follows that up), at which point the show has the main antagonists humiliate Tilly, tell her she was bad at being a captain, and then the story dunks on her hard in order to pivot back to being the Michael Burnham show.

Tilly at least should have gotten a promotion out of that season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's almost like all prior Star Trek shows had ensemble core casts made up of the bridge crew and department chiefs or something. Why would anyone be confused as to why the characters in this Star Trek show aren't being treated the same?

:thunk:

It seems like TOS didn't really? Like, the core crew of TOS was Kirk, Spock, and McCoy. You had other characters....Scotty, Uhura, Sulu, Chekov, and they got some characterization, but none of them were particularly important or fleshed out. Uhura and Sulu didn't even have first names.