Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I just closed my 30,000th ticket at this job.
Monday marks my 6th anniversary here.

I'm not even sure exactly how that math works out but I don't really want to know either.

That is an absurd number of tickets. I hope most of them were bulk closes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I just closed my 30,000th ticket at this job.
Monday marks my 6th anniversary here.

I'm not even sure exactly how that math works out but I don't really want to know either.

5000 a year
416 a month
96 per week
19 per day (assuming a 5 day work week)

F

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

389 tickets for me in a year. That can't be right, though. I do more than one a day.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

IT doesn't use tickets at my current job :smuggo:

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

I'm at 1690 since fiscal started last April according to metrics and that's with having missed a few months last year. Looks like in 2019/2020 I finished at 2968. Love to be constantly understaffed!

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I had a stupid screed written on here about my adventures in trying to obtain an IT Intern to help janitor various systems we have around here due to my department getting told to do some extremely important projects, but suffice to say it ended up with finance insinuating that all we do is helpdesk. I guess this year will be :yotj: for me

:sigh:

edit: I don't know why I feel so insulted about being called helpdesk, like I've been called plenty of poo poo by people before that I just blow off, but this is the first time I've felt insulted.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 19, 2021

Lazer Vampire Jr.
Mar 31, 2005

Ask me about whatever fat loss diet is popular this month!

Defenestrategy posted:

I had a stupid screed written on here about my adventures in trying to obtain an IT Intern to help janitor various systems we have around here due to my department getting told to do some extremely important projects, but suffice to say it ended up with finance insinuating that all we do is helpdesk. I guess this year will be :yotj: for me

:sigh:

edit: I don't know why I feel so insulted about being called helpdesk, like I've been called plenty of poo poo by people before that I just blow off, but this is the first time I've felt insulted.

It can sting when you know you do work above the help desk level on a daily basis.

It also happens all the time because a lot of IT work aside from L1 stuff is never seen by the people who make those decisions in Finance or upper management.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Office 2021 announced

Support dropping from 7 years in 2019 to 5 years in 2021, this already after dropping from 10 years in 2016. Looks like MS gonna axe non-cloud office in 2026

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I feel as much as Microsoft would want to only sell Office 365 Pro Plus there will always be some typical local installation.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I feel as much as Microsoft would want to only sell Office 365 Pro Plus there will always be some typical local installation.

Until Microsoft provides cheap multiple seat variants, conventional office is still cheaper for shared seats computers(say a reception desk with multiple users that only need to access a share mailbox). Licensing with 365 e3 ten receptionist or a single seat of 2019/21, there is no contest.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We have computers on a manufacturing floor that only use Excel and have no email address. We use Office 2019 for those.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

LochNessMonster posted:

5000 a year
416 a month
96 per week
19 per day (assuming a 5 day work week)

F

Actually that sounds about right. Some days I only close a couple, but there's like that one day a week I go back and actually update and close hundreds of things I forgot to document.
5 day work week is right but I usually have a couple hundred extra hours of comp time I wind up losing at the end of the year so it's probably actually lower than 19/day.

FWIW a password reset counts as a single ticket, but so does incredibly dumb poo poo like, "Today is my first day and I don't have a computer or password or know how to use the phone, etc..." or "make all the servers do the security."
I try to break as much poo poo up into subtickets as I can though. Not like one ticket for every mouse click sort of breakdown, but like new servers get separate tickets for VM creation, software/roles installation and documentation, testing, etc...

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Does everyone keep track and copies of every request they've made/thing they've reported/'formal' discussion that's been had? and make notes of when stuff you've requested in conversation or on the phone to cover themselves and use it as evidence at some point in the future? Is keeping a note like that even worth anything if the other person can just claim ignorance?

Or is being at the point where you have to do any of the above just basically mean you're in a lovely place to work and should try and leave?

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Does everyone keep track and copies of every request they've made/thing they've reported/'formal' discussion that's been had? and make notes of when stuff you've requested in conversation or on the phone to cover themselves and use it as evidence at some point in the future? Is keeping a note like that even worth anything if the other person can just claim ignorance?

Or is being at the point where you have to do any of the above just basically mean you're in a lovely place to work and should try and leave?

Usually the sign of a toxic, lovely place - but it's also good practice to keep CYOA material. This thread (and the "poo poo that pisses you off" one) is full of examples of goons being vindicated by them. Just don't expect having irrefutable evidence in your favour to lead to any kind of come back on the sales manager that tried to throw you under a bus :(

stevewm
May 10, 2005

GreenNight posted:

We have computers on a manufacturing floor that only use Excel and have no email address. We use Office 2019 for those.

85% of all computers in my company are shared use with generic everything. Software going subscription and requiring a login/email is quite annoying for this use case. We ended up just going with LibreOffice for these machines as it works 100% for the basic Office use these machines get.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I journal my day to day activities in OneNote - there's probably a better way but this one works for me and I've been doing it for years. I'll keep simple notes to remind myself of what I've done, and put links in to my documentation. I've also used it for storing CYA stuff - keep saved emails in there as attachments, It's organized by week, sorted into months and archived for calendar years.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Actually that sounds about right. Some days I only close a couple, but there's like that one day a week I go back and actually update and close hundreds of things I forgot to document.
5 day work week is right but I usually have a couple hundred extra hours of comp time I wind up losing at the end of the year so it's probably actually lower than 19/day.

FWIW a password reset counts as a single ticket, but so does incredibly dumb poo poo like, "Today is my first day and I don't have a computer or password or know how to use the phone, etc..." or "make all the servers do the security."
I try to break as much poo poo up into subtickets as I can though. Not like one ticket for every mouse click sort of breakdown, but like new servers get separate tickets for VM creation, software/roles installation and documentation, testing, etc...

You may already be doing this, but your ticketing software probably has an API. Back when I worked via tickets, the best thing I did for my quality of life was switching to Excel for tracking stuff and then just running a script to scrape the csv and post everything into the ticketing system. Metrics went up, bosses were happy, and no more poking around a slow and buggy webapp.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

You may already be doing this, but your ticketing software probably has an API. Back when I worked via tickets, the best thing I did for my quality of life was switching to Excel for tracking stuff and then just running a script to scrape the csv and post everything into the ticketing system. Metrics went up, bosses were happy, and no more poking around a slow and buggy webapp.

Yeah it's Solarwinds web help desk, so probably? I usually just send an email to update my tickets if I'm not at my desk.
I'll have to look into it when I'm not closing 20 tickets/day.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

I used to keep track of poo poo like this but it turns out that having documentation and making formal complaints and grievances don't really matter. Now I'm sure that it will matter to a lawyer if a lawsuit is filed but as for my org, they don't give a poo poo and won't do anything so I've just learned to not give a poo poo.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 22, 2021

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

I note the important stuff but I wouldn't say everything. I also will send an email if I think there needs to be record beyond my own notebook that evidences we all had a particular conversation. I don't think it's particularly toxic, but I am working in the public sector, I think it's just like that here.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Yeah it's Solarwinds web help desk, so probably? I usually just send an email to update my tickets if I'm not at my desk.
I'll have to look into it when I'm not closing 20 tickets/day.

https://documentation.solarwinds.com/archive/pdf/WHD/WHDAPIGuide.pdf

Yup, looks like you can PUT or POST ticket details including the status.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
Am I overstepping by applying to Network Engineer I positions without any help desk experience? I have my CCNA and Sec+, an ITM degree in may, and "young guy who knows computers"/AD experience from my previous career.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Sacrist65 posted:

Am I overstepping by applying to Network Engineer I positions without any help desk experience? I have my CCNA and Sec+, an ITM degree in may, and "young guy who knows computers"/AD experience from my previous career.

nope, shoot for the moon and you'll hit the stars.

now is a great time to start up a consulting service and get a few friends to pay you a nominal $20 to fix their poo poo though.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

The Iron Rose posted:

nope, shoot for the moon and you'll hit the stars.

now is a great time to start up a consulting service and get a few friends to pay you a nominal $20 to fix their poo poo though.

Appreciate it. Even after following this thread, the industry seems more tolerable than what I'm in now.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Sacrist65 posted:

My first real IT job was convincing a company in Chicago to take me on as a network engineer while in pretty much the same position you're in now. This was in like 2015 or so, and at least back then, it was really hard for me to find a potential employer who had enough network kit to justify a networking team, had an opening on the team, and were willing to entertain me for it. I was applying anywhere in the continental US for like 2-3 months before getting an offer and I moved from California to Chicago for it.

It's a safe bet that the network is probably a huge mess at an employer like this, and in my case the interview was basically:

- What should we do when our internet facing server is overloaded because of high request volume? (intro to load balancing and related discussions)
- Someone plugged a switch into itself and took down the network. Why did that happen? What can we do to fix it? (intro to STP and related discussions)
- The metro ethernet link we bought that connects the office and the data center is overloaded. Why? What can we do to fix it? (where to draw lines for layer 2 and layer 3 domains)

In all cases they knew the answers to these questions already but were throwing them at me as hypotheticals, also, I did stop them from stretching datacenter layer 2 into the office network shortly after being hired, which was something my predecessor did to "just make it work".

Another option for you would be to grab an AWS cert and start looking for cloud engineering positions. There is a lot more basic routing/switching work involved in running AWS infrastructure than you would expect, and most people (especially in that field) only have a superficial understanding of how these things work. You could have a pretty easy "in" here, especially since through the CCNA you have a head start on the various networking services which become critically important past a certain AWS footprint size.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Sacrist65 posted:

If you like the job description and the company behind it, apply. It's their job to tell you if you're not qualified. Don't do their job for them.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Also remember most job postings are wish lists. I've never seen anyone hired in my career that ticked every single box. Don't be discouraged from applying because you lack experience in one of the 23 domains they're asking for experience in.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

skipdogg posted:

Also remember most job postings are wish lists. I've never seen anyone hired in my career that ticked every single box. Don't be discouraged from applying because you lack experience in one of the 23 domains they're asking for experience in.

:emptyquote:

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

skipdogg posted:

Thanks again all, I'll keep that in mind. It seems like every entry level posting requires 2-5 years of hands on experience with esoteric technologies.

Regarding the AWS cert track, is that genrally more marketable than a linux cert for someone is my position? Or is it entirely situation dependent? Im trying to figure out what to study next.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

skipdogg posted:

I love getting hired and then asking "Hey I thought you guys used X"

Uh we sorta did for one tiny thing in one project but we actually use Y

:haw:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Sacrist65 posted:

Thanks again all, I'll keep that in mind. It seems like every entry level posting requires 2-5 years of hands on experience with esoteric technologies.

Regarding the AWS cert track, is that genrally more marketable than a linux cert for someone is my position? Or is it entirely situation dependent? Im trying to figure out what to study next.

Definitely more marketable but something like the RHCSA or RCHE will pay dividends long past the point knowing, say, S3 lifecycle policy will.

I’d say the cloud certs are probably easier too. Mostly multiple choice, and with a month or two of studying you’ll be fine. At the architect level there are case studies you’ll want to prepare for ahead of time though.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 22, 2021

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I used to keep track of poo poo like this but it turns out that having documentation and making formal complaints and grievances don't really matter. Now I'm sure that it will matter to a lawyer if a lawsuit is filed but as for my org, they don't give a poo poo and won't do anything so I've just learned to not give a poo poo.

This is pretty much where I'm at. There's no one higher than the people I'm making the notes against and me rubbing the evidence in their faces will do absolutely nothing except make them more antagonistic most likely, to zero benefit to me. Even if I went even and exposed them it'll just end up with some big cover up most likely.

Started looking for jobs but not really getting anywhere at the moment. I get constant calls from recruiters who say they're going to pass my details on but then I get nowhere after that. Can't tell if it's something wrong with my CV or not having certs or if recruiters in the UK are just as full of absolute poo poo as they seem.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

This is pretty much where I'm at. There's no one higher than the people I'm making the notes against and me rubbing the evidence in their faces will do absolutely nothing except make them more antagonistic most likely, to zero benefit to me. Even if I went even and exposed them it'll just end up with some big cover up most likely.

Started looking for jobs but not really getting anywhere at the moment. I get constant calls from recruiters who say they're going to pass my details on but then I get nowhere after that. Can't tell if it's something wrong with my CV or not having certs or if recruiters in the UK are just as full of absolute poo poo as they seem.

I just decided one day that I'm just not going to let other people's lovely attitudes bother me. If my manager is upset and being an rear end in a top hat, well then that's his problem, not mine, and he's gonna have to figure a way to sort that emotional baggage out on his own because he can't put it on me.
The last time he came at me all angry with a problem and making asinine demands I gave him two options: calm the gently caress down, provide me the details, drop the absurd timeline and understand that this will reprioritize all my other work OR he can fix it himself and explain to the CIO why I just put in my 2 weeks notice. He still gets upset about poo poo sometimes, I mean we all do, we're all human. But his first reaction is no longer to find someone to blame for a problem, but rather to ask "what needs to be done to get this resolved as soon as possible." So I chalk that up as a win. He still butts heads with my other coworker but I can't be arsed to figure their dynamic out for them.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

recruiters in the UK are just as full of absolute poo poo

It’s this. The whole recruitment market is absolute dogshit (at least in the EU it is). Everyone and their mothers have become recruiters nowadays and 95% of them has absolutely no idea how an opening relates to a resume. They just mass email/linkedin msg each vacancy to their entire network. I swear, at this point there are probably more recruiters than actual IT people.

Besides being ignorant, there’s also the borderline malicious group. They will send your resume to their “clients” stating they represent you and them hiring you through any other agency or directly will result in a lawsuit. In this case clients means unsollicited offers to job postings on company websites that may even explicitly state they do not work with recruitment firms.
I’ve seen this happen twice to coworkers, where a company pulled the interview because a random recruitment firm sent a resume (unwanted by the client and not mentioned to my coworker).

This is why you never send them resumes without knowing exactly which job offer it’s being used for. Also send it in pdf so it makes changing it more difficult, and yes these monkeys do change your resume without informing you about it.

The trick is to find a few decent ones and let them search for you. With the market being full of absolute donkeys this is becoming really difficult.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
when I was looking for some freelance/short term contract stuff i had a recruiter convert my beautiful tex-outputted pdf to word by copy pasting it and leaving random spaces in the middle of words and newlines, then edit my skills without telling me to say that i've been using kubernetes since i was 8

i even have a dislike of the nicest recruiter i've encountered but that was less them and more their agency taking 87% of what they were being paid for me

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Sacrist65 posted:

I'm soon to be in a very similar boat as you, so please update when you get your job ;). I'd be curious how the interview went.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I’m getting gig internet to home!!! Now if my water was clean to drink I’d be ok.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

What's the hot Dell laptop\monitor situation these days? Being asked to spec out what I want and I guess a XPS 17 and a couple of 27" ultrasharps?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There’s some good USB-C monitors in their range now with PD and Ethernet, and DisplayPort MST to link to a second display.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

George H.W. oval office posted:

What's the hot Dell laptop\monitor situation these days? Being asked to spec out what I want and I guess a XPS 17 and a couple of 27" ultrasharps?

I really like this one https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-ult...p?skuId=6415809

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

jaegerx posted:

I’m getting gig internet to home!!! Now if my water was clean to drink I’d be ok.

ATT or Spectrum?