Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Internet Explorer posted:

This is gross. I'm not going to probe you for it, but come on. Our industry has a tough enough time with misogyny that you really don't need to go around saying poo poo like this.

Seriously?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Thanks Ants posted:

Juniper switches start at port 0, Cisco SMB ones go from 1-24 along the top row and 25-48 on the second row.

HP switches it up every other model apparently

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

DelphiAegis posted:

It's not even a good expletive. Like, that's.. that's what it's there for? Like, "gently caress you in your ear" at least makes sense as it would be a terrible theoretical experience for the receiving party.

I almost said rear end but I thought for sure it would upset someone

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Yes, seriously. You are a piece of garbage and lovely comments like that make IT unwelcoming at best to women.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

lament.cfg posted:

Yes, seriously. You are a piece of garbage and lovely comments like that make IT unwelcoming at best to women.

I mean there are other reasons

These days feels like y’all would defend the reaction to dongle-gate.

Not saying it wasn’t crude and sexist. It was and he shouldn’t have said it. But honestly, solving the problem of sexism in our industry takes a wee bit more work than saying “pussy” is verboten. this is some pinkwashed poo poo y’all. Give me pay transparency, representation in power structures, and responses to sexual abuse that aren’t horrifically terrible across the board. You want to help women? Pass laws that ensure women get paid maternity leave, have affordable childcare, and give people free access to good healthcare.

This solves nothing other than making ourselves feel better about “standing up for women!” and is about as effective as your company’s black square on their Instagram.

A lovely comment in a story doesn’t even loving rate.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 21, 2021

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The Iron Rose posted:

Not saying it wasn’t crude and sexist. It was and he shouldn’t have said it. But honestly, solving the problem of sexism in our industry takes a wee bit more work than saying “pussy” is verboten. this is some pinkwashed poo poo y’all. Give me pay transparency, representation in power structures, and responses to sexual abuse that aren’t horrifically terrible across the board. You want to help women? Pass laws that ensure women get paid maternity leave, have affordable childcare, and give people free access to good healthcare.

This solves nothing other than making ourselves feel better about “standing up for women!” and is about as effective as your company’s black square on their Instagram.

Nah, heckle all idiots throwing this dumb lingo around.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Sickening posted:

Nah, heckle all idiots throwing this dumb lingo around.

I’m not saying give him a pass. I am saying that saying he is horrible and his story is “what keeps women out of IT” is a really tangential part of the story at best. It certainly doesn’t help me.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

The Iron Rose posted:

I’m not saying give him a pass. I am saying that saying he is horrible and his story is “what keeps women out of IT” is a really tangential part of the story at best. It certainly doesn’t help me.

I didn’t mean by any sense that lovely language is the only or worst hurdle for women in this industry. You’re fully correct in everything you bring up.

I still won’t ignore lovely language even in the poo poo That Pisses You Off thread.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

lament.cfg posted:

I still won’t ignore lovely language even in the poo poo That Pisses You Off thread.

thank you.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

lament.cfg posted:

I didn’t mean by any sense that lovely language is the only or worst hurdle for women in this industry. You’re fully correct in everything you bring up.

I do honestly appreciate that this place does it’s best to look after women. I am glad we don’t tolerate sexist people saying sexist things. But your comment that this is what keeps women out of IT bothered me, and I thought calling him garbage for it was overly harsh and judgemental. I have much bigger problems as a woman, and it is those problems that keep women out of IT, not poorly chosen words from someone who is pretty low on the totem pole.

We are so quick to judge and condemn. I don’t think anyone here is human garbage or wants anything but the best for women. Kindness, compassion, and education are a better approach, and a more effective avenue to institute change than remorseless condemnation.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 21, 2021

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

^^^ well said and appreciated ^^^

The Iron Rose posted:

lament.cfg seems to have clarified their intentions and I feel like we're all pretty much on the same page here, but I would also like to note that language is where we're at right now because we're talking about a web forum. I have the feeling that quite a few people in this thread do work towards the things you're referring to and are not ignoring them in favor of scoring feminist points on SA.

Separately and unrelated, just for the record, almost none of my moderator actions in SH/SC are unilateral in the sense that even if I see something, I will generally wait for a report before acting on it. It works as an easy way to get a second opinion. And if it's the same person reporting the same person or type of infraction, I take that into account. On top of that, if it's a probe over 24 hours an admin has to approve it.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 21, 2021

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I was watching Mrs. America yesterday, there's a bit where Phyllis is trying to Do Politics with some men by having a strategy discussion, and she is one of the most influential women in the country at the time; they ask her to sit there, imply she shut up, and take minutes because "she has the prettiest handwriting". This show is set in the 70s.

50 years later, in real life, the same sodding thing happened in a meeting I was in. An old white man asked the only young lady present if she could take the notes on the whiteboard as she probably has the prettiest handwriting. This is in a financial/tech company.

Change is sodding glacial.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Who takes notes on a whiteboard instead of just typing and sharing the notes after?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Steakandchips posted:

An old white man asked the only young lady present if she could take the notes on the whiteboard as she probably has the prettiest handwriting. This is in a financial/tech company.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Seeing a new piece of (usually network) hardware released and the USB serial console is on a Mini-B connector. Not even Micro USB, or Type C which would be more appropriate for a new device, but a notoriously poo poo connector that nothing else has used for over ten years.

Do companies like Juniper and Cisco have millions of the ports in stock and don't want to waste them or something?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Thanks Ants posted:

Seeing a new piece of (usually network) hardware released and the USB serial console is on a Mini-B connector. Not even Micro USB, or Type C which would be more appropriate for a new device, but a notoriously poo poo connector that nothing else has used for over ten years.

Do companies like Juniper and Cisco have millions of the ports in stock and don't want to waste them or something?

Some people like them because they're sturdier than micro. I'd prefer everyone to switch to USB-C but it still feels like that's living in the future as far as a lot of companies are concerned.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Thanks Ants posted:

I’d bet it’s probably because if they changed it, they’d get a bunch of folks screaming about how their ten-year-old cable won’t work with it (and likely that their crazy company won’t let them expense a new cable because someone spent the entire IT budget on buying Chromebooks for the graphic design department).

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Blue Moonlight posted:

I’d bet it’s probably because if they changed it, they’d get a bunch of folks screaming about how their ten-year-old cable won’t work with it (and likely that their crazy company won’t let them expense a new cable because someone spent the entire IT budget on buying Chromebooks for the graphic design department).

Who even has the mini-USB cables though? I feel like everyone went from DB9-to-RJ45 (rollover) to USB->DB9 converters, or the straight USB->RJ45 with the chip built in - I've never used a stupid mini-USB cable on a switch.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Who even has the mini-USB cables though? I feel like everyone went from DB9-to-RJ45 (rollover) to USB->DB9 converters, or the straight USB->RJ45 with the chip built in - I've never used a stupid mini-USB cable on a switch.

Oh, I’m more on the “can appreciate IT hell stories” side of the fence than the “living IT hell stories firsthand,” so I have no idea how reasonable that cable is in the context of networking gear. I’ve just noticed that “why is this gear arbitrarily different than what we’ve had in production for years” comes up with similar frequency to “why is this gear arbitrarily antiquated for what we’re putting in production for years.”

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Steakandchips posted:

50 years later, in real life, the same sodding thing happened in a meeting I was in. An old white man asked the only young lady present if she could take the notes on the whiteboard as she probably has the prettiest handwriting. This is in a financial/tech company.

To be fair, if I was asked to take notes they'd be borderline illegible doctor scribble. I was asked once to take notes, and was told by the HR lady that I was banned from note taking after that because of said illegible doctor scribble. She then took the notes for the meeting.

The correct answer is ask if anyone is willing to take meeting minutes, rather than volunteering the one with the most pretty handwriting.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pfft who uses handwriting anymore, that poo poo is being typed on a laptop in an email as it happens.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Thanks Ants posted:

I know USB-C has some standardization issues, could it be like a "last known good standard" thing?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

When I was in high school they made me use the school computers to write tests and exams, my writing was so illegible.

Never turned off the internet during exam time though, and that’s the story of how I avoided thousands of dollars of student debt via entrance scholarships despite skipping class every other morning :v:

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
You need to practice handwriting your papers and perfecting your spelling, they'll ever accept anything but in college!!!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I know USB-C has some standardization issues, could it be like a "last known good standard" thing?
USB-C has "standardization issues" in that it's hard for a non-techie consumer to know which extra features like power delivery, alternate modes, Thunderbolt, etc, are supported on a given port.

None of those things are really relevant to a console port. Every USB-C port has at least the capabilities you'd expect in a USB-A or any variant of B found in the same place.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

klosterdev posted:

You need to practice handwriting your papers and perfecting your spelling, they'll ever accept anything but in college!!!

This but about writing in cursive. Imagine turning in a handwritten cursive college paper in TYOOL 2021.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

it's our first day back on campus after being closed for a week and a half due to the weather. the water line burst in the elementary school building, so it flooded, and it's still closed while the administration tries to figure out how they're going to pay for the repairs. the preschool was open for about two hours before they sent all the kids home because the toilets don't work (low water pressure), so now i'm in my office trying to catch up on this massive backlog of hardware disasters while my kid sits on a beanbag behind me and asks me things like "do cars have wheels."

what's really pissing me off though is that i just got yet another email from my boss asking me to come up with some IT work to assign to the after-school childcare staff that currently have nothing to do because of the aforementioned closure. i hate this poo poo and it has been happening with increasing frequency. some well-meaning person offers themselves or their large adult sons up to us as IT volunteers, but they are never competent or experienced enough for us to rely on their work and i end up spending more time explaining the task and verifying/fixing the results afterwards than i would just doing it my drat self!!!!

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

Microusb will self destruct over daily wear, mini usb uses simple friction like usb-a/b so the device will keep USB port operational over a decade no problem. Usb-c is sturdier than microusb but still less than miniusb

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

SlowBloke posted:

Microusb will self destruct over daily wear

I can't remember which BlackBerry it was, but when they moved to the micro USB Verizon was replacing the drat phones every few months.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

USB-C and micro USB are designed for a minimum 10,000 insert/removal cycles.

Mini-B is only designed for 5,000.

Normal USB-A and B is only designed for 1,500.

Micro and USB-C were built specifically so that the wear components are in the cable rather than the port.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 22, 2021

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tell that to my Pixel 3, which recently stopped reliably detecting when it was plugged in.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

KillHour posted:

Tell that to my Pixel 3, which recently stopped reliably detecting when it was plugged in.

You have pocket crud caked deep in the port. A good cleaning with something thin and sharpish along with compressed air will likely make it good as new.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

bull3964 posted:

Micro and USB-C were built specifically so that the wear components are in the cable rather than the port.

The specs might say so but in my experience microusb ports tend to have the upper part slashed by the retention teeth to the point that the cable fails to make contact reliably as the metal gets warped/broken to the point there is no solid connection, something I’ve never seen on miniusb

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

bull3964 posted:

Those sound like “ideal use scenario” numbers, where actual every day use is way worse in terms of wear and tear.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

SlowBloke posted:

The specs might say so but in my experience microusb ports tend to have the upper part slashed by the retention teeth to the point that the cable fails to make contact reliably as the metal gets warped/broken to the point there is no solid connection, something I’ve never seen on miniusb

:same:

I had the cord I use for my ps4 controller charger fail 3x now, and it's the most high-use USB item I've got. By comparison my phone is on USB-c and has had a similar number of use cycles (and has been lightly chewed...) and is still holding up nicely.
Fake edit: that said, the cords are cheap as gently caress so I don't mind.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

bull3964 posted:

You have pocket crud caked deep in the port. A good cleaning with something thin and sharpish along with compressed air will likely make it good as new.

Yeah, this. A toothpick or something similar works wonders for getting that crap out. I have been both disgusted and amazed at how much can jam in there

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

KillHour posted:

Try fastballing it against a cardboard cutout.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

bull3964 posted:

I've been running into this a ton since the switch to USB-C.

99% of the time when someone says their USB-C device won't charge reliably, it's just crud in the port preventing it from seating fully.

I keep a dull sewing needle and duster can at my desk just for this purpose. Drag the needle around the center portion a couple times to scrape the crud up and then blow it out with the duster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
I realize that making time zones work for everyone is a logistical nightmare, but jesus M365 how do you keep screwing up time zones so badly, especially now that you need to specify your preferred time zone when making a support ticket.

- I've specified for them to call me at 9AM PST and they call me at six in the morning (most Americans are EST right??!)
- I've specified XAM and they call at XPM
- I've get an email on Saturday about an issue I raised, and then a second email Monday morning asking if the issue is resolved because I haven't replied yet

Get your time lord poo poo together Microsoft