Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

CLAM DOWN posted:

Being "passionate" about something does not equate whatsoever to not having work/life balance, working 60+ hours/week, being "emotionally invested" in a company, etc.

You're right in that it doesn't HAVE to, but by and large everyone I've known who I'd consider "passionate" about their work rather than just "proficient" (even extremely proficient) are exactly the types who end up dicking up their work/life balance, getting emotionally invested in stuff, etc., precicely because they ARE passionate about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yep. i mean, if "passionate" just means "enjoys their job/the field" or "finds infosec interesting" then ok whatever. but the original question was if you have to be "passionate" due to low pay, which is much more in line with the word as i'm using it

like, it seems to me that "i am passionate about hacker poo poo, and don't do it outside of work" has some tension in there, and i think most folks would agree. maybe it shouldn't be that way, but meaning is use etc etc

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 20, 2021

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Passionate can mean that at a minimum you’re not just a mercenary in it for the money and you have a greater personal interest in the field or work.

I’d agree that generally “find a job you’re passionate about” has often been horrible advice and puts people on an impossible quest for imaginary fulfillment.

Being more generally passionate about self development and always trying to do great work, regardless of your actual job, is more useful than just being a huge fan of something narrow and specific.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I do a lot of related work to my job as a personal hobby outside of it, which makes me a better employee. I don't work on my employer's projects in my off time, but I do work on and look at things for fun that improve my skills and knowledge... like this thread.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

interest in subject matter is a sliding scale

I don't know why otherwise-professional people get so weird about this poo poo, especially in interviews

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

when i hear passionate, i think about rogue brewery

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Jeoh posted:

when i hear passionate, i think about rogue brewery

That job listing actually made me less passionate about my job

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DrDork posted:

You're right in that it doesn't HAVE to, but by and large everyone I've known who I'd consider "passionate" about their work rather than just "proficient" (even extremely proficient) are exactly the types who end up dicking up their work/life balance, getting emotionally invested in stuff, etc., precicely because they ARE passionate about it.

I consider myself "passionate" about security by the objective definition of the word. I love security, find it fascinating, and sometimes mess around with it for fun outside of work. I also work 36.25 hours a week and not a minute more. Time at/invested in work and passion/interest are mutually exclusive concepts.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

CLAM DOWN posted:

Time at/invested in work and passion/interest are mutually exclusive concepts.

I assume you mean orthogonal rather than ME, unless you're claiming you can't do both

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Potato Salad posted:

interest in subject matter is a sliding scale

I don't know why otherwise-professional people get so weird about this poo poo, especially in interviews

"Passionate" workers train on their own time instead of on the company dime.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

CLAM DOWN posted:

I consider myself "passionate" about security by the objective definition of the word. I love security, find it fascinating, and sometimes mess around with it for fun outside of work. I also work 36.25 hours a week and not a minute more. Time at/invested in work and passion/interest are mutually exclusive concepts.

ding ding ding

Except for the last line. But right on otherwise.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Rufus Ping posted:

I assume you mean orthogonal rather than ME, unless you're claiming you can't do both

Correct, sorry.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I love the future of sudo aliases

https://twitter.com/CubicleApril/status/1363918513665175552?s=20

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

And this is completely distinct from please.build, because who needs namespace exclusivity for commands on Unix-likes.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Being "passionate" about something does not equate whatsoever to not having work/life balance, working 60+ hours/week, being "emotionally invested" in a company, etc. Some of you are taking making huge extrapolations and leaps here and clearly have wild definitions of "passionate".
No, but you have the learn how to recognize the weasel words coming from the employer side too.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

hi infosec ppl

recently i started working for a security saas product/company. over the course of the last few months i've had dozens and dozens of conversations with CISOs at organizations of all different sizes

holy poo poo they are all totally useless.

they don't have the authority to buy anything, they inevitably wind up begging the CTO or CFO for special budget exceptions. they don't have the skills to do/install/deploy anything, they inevitably wind up begging the CTO/DevOps ppl to actually set stuff up for them. they don't have the access to fix anything, again they're just filing JIRA tickets and begging people to listen to them.

as far as I can tell they seem to have about as much budget and authority as a mall cop.

anyway thats it, no question here, just figured i'd commiserate with people who probably already know this from the other side.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

MightyBigMinus posted:

they don't have the access to fix anything, again they're just filing JIRA tickets and begging people to listen to them.

as far as I can tell they seem to have about as much budget and authority as a mall cop.
gently caress me

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Im only like 3 months into my InfoSec job coming over from a full time network engineer role.

I work way less hard than I use to. My job seems to involve talking other teams into fixing their poo poo, then escalating to management as the fixes go unimplemented, before moving onto the next broken thing.

Its not nearly as fun as my old job but it pays a ton more at least.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Im only like 3 months into my InfoSec job coming over from a full time network engineer role.

I work way less hard than I use to. My job seems to involve talking other teams into fixing their poo poo, then escalating to management as the fixes go unimplemented, before moving onto the next broken thing.

Infosec is mostly delegating I've found.

I don't know Ruby so I punt all fixes to devs.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

CyberPingu posted:

Infosec is mostly delegating I've found.

I don't know Ruby so I punt all fixes to devs.

True in my experience as well.

Most places big enough to have a full time security staff are also big enough to be bogged down by necessary bureaucracy and management making changes slow and tedious enough as it is.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Pretty much, kinda want to go back to consulting since doing IR/DR and Pentesting was a lot more fun, but a lot less stable pay wise/job wise.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Our CISO isn't even an employee; theyre a consultant that our Exec IT director calls vCISO and he's even more useless. But he tells the board we have done xyz (i did xyz) and collects 250 an hour.

Shuu
Aug 19, 2005

Wow!

MightyBigMinus posted:

hi infosec ppl

recently i started working for a security saas product/company. over the course of the last few months i've had dozens and dozens of conversations with CISOs at organizations of all different sizes

holy poo poo they are all totally useless.

they don't have the authority to buy anything, they inevitably wind up begging the CTO or CFO for special budget exceptions. they don't have the skills to do/install/deploy anything, they inevitably wind up begging the CTO/DevOps ppl to actually set stuff up for them. they don't have the access to fix anything, again they're just filing JIRA tickets and begging people to listen to them.

anyway thats it, no question here, just figured i'd commiserate with people who probably already know this from the other side.

This is so relatable it hurts. I used to work in R&D/detection development for a SIEM product and honestly can't say that it seemed like there was any net gain made in terms of customer security. It was primarily purchased by CISOs who were the only security staff at the company, usually outsourced triage/IR to a SOC, and whose entire understanding of security was that the magical box would prevent any and all issues. It got worse when everyone started demanding investment in cloud products and detections, because those detections are even noisier than info-level portscan garbage if they don't have solid cloud architecture practices to begin with (they didn't).

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

They're basically someone who's paid to be the one who gets the blame when security is found to be lax.

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment
dang, I should consider myself lucky to have an actively involved CISO (first cyber job and first time working w/ a CISO). Our team is fairly small so idk if that helps.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

They're basically someone who's paid to be the one who gets the blame when security is found to be lax.

Previous job had a "virtual" CISO as part of a security package we bought from the firm. Ours flat out told us that one of their services was being a glorified fall guy for when something bad eventually happened.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Yeah, CISOs are basically the fall guys

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Our company just had a investment firm buy a controlling interest in the company. As a result they came through and had outside dudes do an audit on our infrastructure for stuff we had to do. One of their action items was "Hire/designate someone as CISO".

The entire IT/Cybersec department laughed at that, which is to say the three of us laughed at that.

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment
Unauth Vcenter RCE through vsphere client, yay!

https://twitter.com/WeisterCreek/status/1364319729515716612?s=20

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Defenestrategy posted:

Our company just had a investment firm buy a controlling interest in the company. As a result they came through and had outside dudes do an audit on our infrastructure for stuff we had to do. One of their action items was "Hire/designate someone as CISO".

The entire IT/Cybersec department laughed at that, which is to say the three of us laughed at that.

You have a cybersec department? Lucky.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You have a cybersec department? Lucky.

Well in so far as I am a "Infrastructure Security Engineer" and my job is to come up with policies that make everyone miserable, and then implement them.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Defenestrategy posted:

Well in so far as I am a "Infrastructure Security Engineer" and my job is to come up with policies that make everyone miserable, and then implement them.

Like I said, lucky. My job entails an executive telling me "we want this app to be secure" and then leaving it up to us to figure out what the best practices are and how to implement them. And we don't get paid extra for it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Is this bad? This is bad, right?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Last Pass just keeps knocking it out of the park.

https://www.theregister.com/2021/02/25/7_trackers_in_lastpass_android/

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Only if HR finds out about it before your next contract renegotiation where they somehow agree to double your pay.

But for real, yeah, this is potebtially bad if you work somewhere that likes to run outdated versions of Acrobat Reader or one of the vulnerable apps.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Is this the place to ask about implementing crypto? I'm converting a library that uses OpenSSL for AES-256-GCM to use CNG/BCrypt, and I'm unsure about nonce generation. The docs for the BCRYPT_AUTHENTICATED_CIPHER_MODE_INFO struct specify that a nonce needs to be present for CCM and GCM (this is a separate nonce from the IV, I think, but the OpenSSL and CryptoPP implementations don't say anything about it, or seem to equate the IV and the nonce. What is that nonce supposed to be?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Is there a reason you can't use a library that's already in place? I'm pretty sure the wide thread opinion on implementing crypto is "don't do that," as evidenced by the thread title.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

CryptoAPI NG/ BCrypt _is_ the library in place. The default crypto library for windows.

OP I am not qualified to answer this because I'm not a professional developer but with counter modes like CCM or GCM the nonce is very important. It has to be random and unique for each message. This is because those modes are effectively using AES as a keystream generator and XOR-ing this with the plaintext, and with stream ciphers it is very bad if the keystream is the same for two messages because you can XOR those again and recover parts of the keystream.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

more falafel please posted:

Is this the place to ask about implementing crypto? I'm converting a library that uses OpenSSL for AES-256-GCM to use CNG/BCrypt, and I'm unsure about nonce generation. The docs for the BCRYPT_AUTHENTICATED_CIPHER_MODE_INFO struct specify that a nonce needs to be present for CCM and GCM (this is a separate nonce from the IV, I think, but the OpenSSL and CryptoPP implementations don't say anything about it, or seem to equate the IV and the nonce. What is that nonce supposed to be?

I feel like if you need to ask a question like this on an internet forum, you should not try to roll your own crypto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

more falafel please posted:

It's been a little bit since I did this stuff but from memory the distinction between an IV and a nonce is in how each mode uses the value and the mode's requirement for how it is generated.

For CBC mode the IV is used as the initial value the block cipher operates against when encrypting the first block. Because the block size is known, and the encryption process is chained, patterns between encrypted values can be deduced if the IV is known or shared between those values and the first few bytes of the plaintext are the same. Therefore, the IV must be random or pseudorandom in CBC mode.

For GCM mode, the initialization value is a nonce (number used once) and must be unique, but not necessarily random or pseudorandom, for each use of the same key. Thus, the nonce can simply be a sequential value provided the party encrypting can guarantee that the value isn't reused. Using a random nonce introduces the potential for nonce collision sooner than using a sequence.

The thing to remember is that CBC vs GCM is really more of a question between block encryption and stream encryption. Because GCM is a counter method the internal counter is known and a reused nonce can leak the XOR of plaintexts. If the attacker can determine one plaintext then it can decrypt others. CBC mode doesn't have that issue, although it's vulnerable to padding oracle attacks.

But, the important thing here is always rtfm for crypto and never roll your own.