Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

BBQ Dave posted:

Okay never had to do this before but I gotta warn you about these pillows we got at Costco. The feathers slowly work their way out even though pillowcases like malevolent beings forcing their way into a dimension where they aren't wanted, weren't cheap either. Don't get em the feathers get everywhere and as a bonus, they stab you in the face. Can't just pick em out either there's always more. Its sysiphusian.

Buy higher thread count pillow cases.

I think all heavy down feather pillows are like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

priznat posted:

What's something ya'll get every trip to the costco? I get the croissants every time, they get eaten up fast in my house. That's pretty much the guaranteed thing I get.

Frozen broccoli - jumbo sized chunks and good floret to stem ratio
Frozen shrimp - dirt cheap for the size and quality
Cat litter - massive bag for cheap
Rao's pasta sauce - more expensive than the Kirkland pasta sauce but good flavor
Take and bake pesto salmon - it's farmed salmon but tastes good and is super easy to make. This has taken the place of the take and bake ravioli lasagna, which is amazing but must be over 10,000 calories
Tiny potatoes - 5 lbs lasts us a week and they're super easy to just toss into boiling water
Pork tenderloin 2 pack - somehow this poo poo is like $1.99/lb most of the time and pork tenderloin cooked medium is a meal fit for a king -

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Cauliflower rice on sale for $4.49 a bag. Bought four, tossed in the chest freezer.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

In Australia Costco are suprisingly quite expensive for cat litter.
They are cheaper than the grocery chains but price per kilo is more expensive than Kmart with the downside of much larger, more unwieldy bags

(p.s. our Kmarts are very different from the us ones except for the logo)

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

pentyne posted:

They are not these are super bad my warning stands but thanks for the suggestion I'll try it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

pentyne posted:

If they're all like that, none of them are worth it. And if a thicker pillowcase would solve it, then they should make the pillow out of that. Or provide it in a second case.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

norp posted:

(p.s. our Kmarts are very different from the us ones except for the logo)

Kmart is basically dead in the US, I haven’t seen one in years.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
on cat litter, the best deal I have seen other than costco is PetSmart in the bulk 40 pound boxes, which are around $13 or $14 normally and get down to $10 on sale. So it is roughly comparable in price to the Scoop Away at costco, but the Scoop Away is nicer stuff imo.

I had a couple leftover boxes of the PetSmart litter that I pulled out of the basement and now that I'm used to the Scoop Away it's actually obnoxious how much the PetSmart stuff smells, I can smell the scent powder on my cats' paws. One of the boxes was the "triple power" which I guess means triple the amount of scent powder, the other is normal and isn't quite as bad but I'm really glad I'm almost done with those two boxes so I can go back to the Scoop Away.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 21, 2021

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

priznat posted:

What's something ya'll get every trip to the costco? I get the croissants every time, they get eaten up fast in my house. That's pretty much the guaranteed thing I get.

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Frozen broccoli - jumbo sized chunks and good floret to stem ratio
Frozen shrimp - dirt cheap for the size and quality
Rao's pasta sauce - more expensive than the Kirkland pasta sauce but good flavor
Take and bake pesto salmon - it's farmed salmon but tastes good and is super easy to make. This has taken the place of the take and bake ravioli lasagna, which is amazing but must be over 10,000 calories
Tiny potatoes - 5 lbs lasts us a week and they're super easy to just toss into boiling water
Pork tenderloin 2 pack - somehow this poo poo is like $1.99/lb most of the time and pork tenderloin cooked medium is a meal fit for a king -

the fresh broccoli is great too, the brown mushrooms, spring mix, etc. The cherry tomatoes (either the red ones or the gourmet mix) and asparagus are great but not an "everytime" food.

really all of costco's produce and meat is great quality and freshness. If I am going to be able to eat a costco sized amount before it goes bad (bearing in mind the costco stuff typically survives at least twice as long as buying it from the grocery store, which helps) then I buy it at costco. For meat I'll buy the costco sized portion and vacuum pack+freeze half of it.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Feb 21, 2021

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

priznat posted:

Coastal Cheddar and those naan

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

I can't stand the scented cat litters that my Costco carries and I wish they'd have unscented 🙁

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

poisonpill posted:

I don't know if it's true or not, but I've read that cheese mold digs tendrils down into the block, so that cutting off the visible part doesn't remove all of it.
:shrug:

IIRC it depends on the hardness of the cheese, but even on soft cheeses it doesn't go deeper than an inch and a half after having years for the mold to grow. So technically yes more of your cheese is molded than is visible, but unless it's been molding for a long time your just wanna make sure you cut a little deeper than is visible. Pretty much every other type of food though is deeply contaminated once mold starts growing on it, cause the mycelium will grow much quicker and farther than in cheeses.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Paul MaudDib posted:

the fresh broccoli is great too, the brown mushrooms, spring mix, etc. The cherry tomatoes (either the red ones or the gourmet mix) and asparagus are great but not an "everytime" food.

The mushrooms at my warehouse are always really wet compared to the ones I get at my supermarket. Not sure why, maybe has something to do with transportation.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

jisforjosh posted:

I can't stand the scented cat litters that my Costco carries and I wish they'd have unscented 🙁

Mine carries unscented and it has easily cut my litter costs in half.

Paul MaudDib posted:

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

The mushrooms at my warehouse are always really wet compared to the ones I get at my supermarket. Not sure why, maybe has something to do with transportation.

I have the opposite where the fresh broccoli is normally dry with a slight brown "rusty" look but the mushrooms are almost always great.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I think Medjool dates are about half the price per lb. at Costco that anywhere else I can buy them. Of course the packages are much larger, but wanting fewer Medjool dates is something which I cannot fathom.

Also, I've had better luck buying good, ripe pears at Costco than I have anywhere else for some reason. Usually if I look anywhere else I can only find them hard as rocks or overripe, mealy and/or turned to mush in that way that only pears can manage.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Costco bananas suck.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Mine carries unscented and it has easily cut my litter costs in half.

We have some weird lemon grass scented one and ScoopAway with some annoying smell fine powder in it that gets kicked up every time the cats dig and gets circulated around the house.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Propaganda Machine posted:

I'm sorry to detract from happy meat times but I need to vent.

As a rule, I avoid Those Hours but today, a Friday around 3 after everything in my life had gone wrong, I finally made it to church.

Yea, did I sit behind a car staring at somebody unloading their groceries in a lot loving full of spaces, so that took about three minutes. I counted.

Why not drive around, you ask? Because a geriatric with a loving Porsche is very slowly unloading his groceries. And he made a show of returning the cart not even next to the bin right next to his six-figure car.

I know I live in LA, I know this is a choice, but WHAT THE gently caress PEOPLE.

At the very least my precious noods were on sale so I bought five boxes :3:

which one you go to

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

the 505 green salsa is trash, stay away

edit: I am an idiot and just ate chilies out of the jar

Shredder fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Feb 22, 2021

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Alan Smithee posted:

which one you go to

That was Los Feliz.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Shredder posted:

??????

I’ve gotten like 10 jars of that so far, I always pick up a jar or two every trip

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Shredder posted:

It’s not salsa it’s literally just chilies, you put it in something else

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Yeah make enchiladas with it. Sorry about your taste buds OP.

Gaius Marius posted:

It's really overpriced for what it is

You can say that about almost all prepackaged food.

ohnobugs fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Feb 22, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's really overpriced for what it is, just put some chilies in a blender with some water

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Paul MaudDib posted:

It’s not salsa it’s literally just chilies, you put it in something else

That makes more sense, I just ate it with some chips straight out of the jar and it was not good :doh:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Shredder posted:

That makes more sense, I just ate it with some chips straight out of the jar and it was not good :doh:

lol my wife made the same mistake, we were both so confused when she told me the green salsa wasn't that great

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i looked up what yall are talking about on gis and it seems like a mistake you would easily make since its labeled as salsa and looks exactly like tomatillo :confused:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I’m mean I’ve done that but it’s far from the optimal way of consuming it. It’s more of a condiment.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Good recommendation on the tempura mandarin chicken ITT.

Way better chicken than Trader Joe’s. There’s also way more sauce. I’m not a huge fan of the sauce-it tastes great, I’m just hoping for something more like general tso’s, but it’s pretty good.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The 505 hatch green chile is definitely not a salsa for chips, but it can be delicious just straight on things, like eggs! Make an omelette with it, or add it to a quesadilla and we're in business.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I eat the hatch chiles right on chips. It's not salsa per se but it's still delicious

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

canyoneer posted:

The 505 hatch green chile is definitely not a salsa for chips, but it can be delicious just straight on things, like eggs! Make an omelette with it, or add it to a quesadilla and we're in business.

I was so excited my local warehouse had this, I bought 4 containers because it had the * on the price tag. Spent a few years in New Mexico and it's hard to get good green chilis in the northeast.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?
for all of the jar aficionados, the lid for the rao's pasta sauce fits the jars for the artichoke hearts.

the classico jars are the standard regular mouth mason jar lid size. i don't like classico as much as rao's but the lids are a lot better than the standard lids that come with mason jars. there's a plastic coating that resists rust a lot better.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Hey all, anyone here ever use the Costco mortgage services? I'm in the market for a new home so of course I'd consider using the church to which I belong, if it makes sense. Any feedback on the service to provide? Looks like it just may be a platform to other online banks, but unclear what value the Costco edge brings to it.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

TraderStav posted:

Hey all, anyone here ever use the Costco mortgage services? I'm in the market for a new home so of course I'd consider using the church to which I belong, if it makes sense. Any feedback on the service to provide? Looks like it just may be a platform to other online banks, but unclear what value the Costco edge brings to it.

Like the car buying service, it’ll get you a pretty good rate/discount with no fuss. They’ll cut some servicing fees just because you’re a Costco member and the rate is usually pretty good.

That said, you can do better doing all the work/research yourself. It’s just a matter of personal preference. Your future mortgage will likely be sold to a major bank shortly afterwords anyways.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Thwomp posted:

Like the car buying service, it’ll get you a pretty good rate/discount with no fuss. They’ll cut some servicing fees just because you’re a Costco member and the rate is usually pretty good.

That said, you can do better doing all the work/research yourself. It’s just a matter of personal preference. Your future mortgage will likely be sold to a major bank shortly afterwords anyways.

Thanks, I traditionally use a broker so have pinged them to get started. Will consider giving it a try, appreciate the background!

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

Thwomp posted:

1) have been in my current house for 5 years. Am on my third lender. Mortgages are still being passed around like a joint.

2) This has been my experience with every costco service. Theyre trustworthy enough that you are going to get good quality for a decent price that they're great for anything you don't want to deal with or think too much about. But you can definitely invest some effort and do better.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
How are the vacuum cleaners at Costco?

For what a good one costs I'm not really willing to order online; I need a storefront I could return it to if it's not up to spec.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

pentyne posted:

How are the vacuum cleaners at Costco?

For what a good one costs I'm not really willing to order online; I need a storefront I could return it to if it's not up to spec.

Usually the models for most brands (dyson, shark/ninja, miele) are unique costco only ones that come with some additional accessories/brush heads. They’re just as good as the regular models with the bonus bits and no hassle return if you don’t like it!

Googling a costco model # will usually point you to the regular one for reviews etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

https://www.wired.com/story/cheese-actually-isnt-bad-for-you/

Hell yeah I'm getting the urge to Costco