Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Chemist is a good perk on hardcore because it affects the duration of food as well as drugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

moot the hopple posted:

Chemist is a good perk on hardcore because it affects the duration of food as well as drugs.

not if you have YUP installed. It fixes that bug, sadly.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
One thing YUP also does is actually make Fixer temporary, which is cool, also makes me question why does Fixer need to exist now if all it does is subject you to a laser show for a few seconds and then give you all your addiction debuffs again

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
So that you have a convenient dump item for pumping rep with the Followers

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

drat this thread is a decade old

I'm going to play NV from scratch. I last played it when it came out, in 2010. Anything suggestions? Mods, etc?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I'm going to play NV from scratch. I last played it when it came out, in 2010. Anything suggestions? Mods, etc?

Honestly I think NV is great without mods, and if you're unfamiliar with it it's better to play it and then mod whatever sticks out at you.

That said, the main ones I use are The Strip Open and Freeside Open (which remove the gates within the The Strip and Freeside, making them each large worldspaces) and Outside Bets, which restores NPCs that they cut to fit the game onto the consoles.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Yukichigai Unofficial Patch -- Fixes thousands of bugs still left over.
xNVSE -- Extends engine scripting capabilities, necessary for many mods.
Unofficial Patch NVSE Plus -- Fixes bugs that requires the help of NVSE.
New Vegas Tick Fix -- Fixes engine bug or something. Makes the game run better.
New Vegas Anti Crash -- Prevents CTDs from happening.
Mod Limit Fix -- Increases max number of mods you can have installed but also makes the game run faster.
dxkv -- dx9 to vulkan wrapper that smoothes out/improves game performance. requires a gpu that supports vulkan and steam ingame overlay needs to be disabled.
Jsawyer -- whether ropekid agrees with it or not most people consider this the unofficial director's cut mod. various tweaks to gameplay that makes the game a little more challenging.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Follow this guide it's pretty good: https://vivanewvegas.github.io/

Once you've done that any other mods anyone recommends can probably be safely installed alongside

If you want to be really minimalist then the above mods will do you fine, maybe with something like Clarity to make the lighting look nicer

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Ok cool

What's the opinion on playing on hardcore if I'm using the jsawyer ue mod?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Ok cool

What's the opinion on playing on hardcore if I'm using the jsawyer ue mod?

It's the only way to play the game imo

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

ok

it wouldn't be a bethesda game if I didn't spend at least three hours setting up mods before I played, with a 50% chance that I'll have spent longer setting those up than I spend playing the game

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Once you throw in a few mods and then start loving around with xEdit to get all those conflicts resolved, FNV becomes the Linux of video games.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Proletarian Mango posted:

Yukichigai Unofficial Patch -- Fixes thousands of bugs still left over.
xNVSE -- Extends engine scripting capabilities, necessary for many mods.
Unofficial Patch NVSE Plus -- Fixes bugs that requires the help of NVSE.
New Vegas Tick Fix -- Fixes engine bug or something. Makes the game run better.
New Vegas Anti Crash -- Prevents CTDs from happening.
Mod Limit Fix -- Increases max number of mods you can have installed but also makes the game run faster.
dxkv -- dx9 to vulkan wrapper that smoothes out/improves game performance. requires a gpu that supports vulkan and steam ingame overlay needs to be disabled.
Jsawyer -- whether ropekid agrees with it or not most people consider this the unofficial director's cut mod. various tweaks to gameplay that makes the game a little more challenging.

Add to that;

Outside Bets
New Vegas Uncut
The Living Desert
Fallout 3 Economy Rebalance (Makes weapons way cheaper, that sounds good but actually makes it harder as you can't just sell weapons to make mad cash)
Freeside Open (Note, you'll need a lot of compatibility patches for any quest mods that use Freeside, such as the someguy ones)
Strip Open

The someguy series of quest mods is pretty good although III is pretty controversial.
Saxxon's Quest mods
Puce Moose Quest mods

For extra challenge
No Fast Travel
Puce Moose Speed-E Wheels Terminals

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I'd err against any Freeside Open mod. The hit to performance isn't worth it imo when an SSD can transition between the two halves near instantly (ain't even bad with a regular HDD either). Plus, as already mentioned, you'll also need a bunch of additional compatibility patches for any mods that interact with Freeside. An open Strip mod isn't so bad though since it's a smaller area overall.

No fast travel, faster terminals (and lockpicking), plus tons of other gameplay tweaks can be had with IStewieAI's Tweaks, which I would recommend over individual mods for each feature.

e: aaaand not to overwhelm a relative newcomer but if you're really interested in getting mods and are curious about weather mods I recommend the underrated Western Skies. I mean, just look at these fuckin' clouds. I recommend grabbing the less blue strip and no sandstorm patches for it as well.

Proletarian Mango fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 22, 2021

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

What's the hardest location in NV?

I would think Caesar's Tent has to be up there and I'd also bet a lot of folks here tried to cleanse taht area. Thoughts?

What about the NCR's big bases like the Dam or McCarran?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
In terms of stats, I thought it was the Deathclaw quarry.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 22, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Quarry is hard unless you take advantage of the fact it's a quarry and just stay where the claws can't Merc you. Vault 34 is up there I always have troubles with the overseer. I wish lonesome road was harder. I wanted a challenging send off to NV.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

No Wave posted:

In terms of stats, I think it has to be the Deathclaw quarry.

You can shoot the Deathclaws from a mile away, or even kite them in small numbers. It's probably Caesar's tent - or perhaps House's penthouse with upgraded Securitrons if you're trying to fight them instead of just sprinting to the door.

Gaius Marius posted:

I wish lonesome road was harder.

:psyduck:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Bison Steve at level One with SPECIAL all one was a goddamn nightmare, I had to use every landmine and dynamite stick I'd collected to that point, and then when I finally got out I got popped by some rear end in a top hat on the Coaster I forgot and had to restart from Victors shack.

I've beaten the game so many time I only play it on Masochist mode with absurd stat penalties and no special skills, even then last time I was disappointed I was hopping for like constant damage and rads the entire time. It's the last DLC and the Metaphorical end of the world, I want it to rip the flesh off my bones and grind me to dust.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Deathclaw Promontory can be brutal if you're looking to get your Enclave power armour.

The floating scavenger platform is also nasty because lakelurk sonic attacks ignore DT and they hit like a truck.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

The floating scavenger platform is also nasty because lakelurk sonic attacks ignore DT and they hit like a truck.
I Found this out the hard way last playthrough, luckily they can't fire while swimming so clever kiting and judicious use of Thump Thump will lead you to victory

Edit: The lost hill bunker will also eat you up if you don't play it right, those turrets chew through health, I ended up planting C4 on each one and in key areas around NPC's when I purged the wasteland of the Brotherhood last time.

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 22, 2021

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I have a habit of going to the Old Nuclear Test Site as soon as possible in order to get an early hunting shotgun, and lemme tell you those Feral Ghoul Reavers hit like a fuckin' truck.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

NikkolasKing posted:

What's the hardest location in NV?

I would think Caesar's Tent has to be up there and I'd also bet a lot of folks here tried to cleanse taht area. Thoughts?

What about the NCR's big bases like the Dam or McCarran?

Courier's Mile, probably.

Gaius Marius posted:

Quarry is hard unless you take advantage of the fact it's a quarry and just stay where the claws can't Merc you. Vault 34 is up there I always have troubles with the overseer. I wish lonesome road was harder. I wanted a challenging send off to NV.

What sort of things do you think contribute to difficulty in a game like fallout nv?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

What sort of things do you think contribute to difficulty in a game like fallout nv?
You're the one making the lonesome road expansion right? I meant to reply a couple weeks ago with some idea but forgot, Personally I wouldn't use all my ideas as they'd probably just drive people away from the mod. That said if you start it with a warning that they can't go back and that the Lonesome road is gonna be hard as hell then It's they're own drat fault.

I'd start by having an HP penalty anytime you're outside, If you can set up and plan you're attack then NV is usually not that difficult, giving them a time limit based on health is gonna drive up the tension incredibly and lead to people making mistakes that hopefully they can salvage. This is to represent the wind that stripped the flesh of the Marked men,

Make the whole are radioactive, Bomb's went off a couple years ago so why isn't it still glowing? This accomplishes the same thing, but if you put in a few strategically placed AutoDoc's and RadAways the feeling of Relif should be palpable in your players

The Tunnler sections should be long a twisting, and dark as hell. Imagine You're stuck underground unable to see where you're going constantly hunted by those bastards, you're only means of escape and vision the few scant flares you've picked up.

The way I see it Games are funnest when you're forced to fire on all cylinders, Dying isn't necessarily fun, but being a hairs breadth away from dying and pulling out a win, That's the money right there. Thus I think if you put the players under enough stress that they're making mistakes that are bad, but are just able to recover from you'll have hit your mark and made something really special. It's gonna take a hell of a lot of playtesting though.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Western Sky used to be my favorite weather mod, but I stopped using it because it didn't get updates pretty much since the game released.

Bolingbroke
Jan 4, 2015
As someone who always plays on hardcore and Very Hard difficulty and finds it lacking, Fallout: DUST is superb for transforming the game into the horribly punishing experience that video gaming should be. I wish I'd known about it before; it's everything I've ever wanted in a Fallout mod. I built my character for it completely wrong and didn't realise I still had my difficulty on VH until I got to the Strip via the sewers and eventually had to give up when I ran out of guns/ammo and my RADs got so high that they couldn't ever be meaningfully lowered, given the scarcity of RadAway in the game. But I've started a new character and it's going much better for her, though it's still a miserable experience, which is great.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Western Sky used to be my favorite weather mod, but I stopped using it because it didn't get updates pretty much since the game released.

Western Sky is now a preset in the Nevada Skies mod.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I can't turn off the mouse acceleration. I modified the Fallout New Vegas/fallout_default.ini as directed, but it didn't work. What do I need to do here?

[Controls]
bAlwaysRunByDefault=1
bBackground Mouse=0
bBackground Keyboard=1
fForegroundMouseAccelBase=0
fForegroundMouseAccelTop=0
fForegroundMouseBase=0
fForegroundMouseMult=0

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I can't turn off the mouse acceleration. I modified the Fallout New Vegas/fallout_default.ini as directed, but it didn't work. What do I need to do here?

[Controls]
bAlwaysRunByDefault=1
bBackground Mouse=0
bBackground Keyboard=1
fForegroundMouseAccelBase=0
fForegroundMouseAccelTop=0
fForegroundMouseBase=0
fForegroundMouseMult=0

How are you launching the game? If you launch the game through the menu launcher it resets your ini files.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

How are you launching the game? If you launch the game through the menu launcher it resets your ini files.

Mod organizer

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

And you've set your ini file using the built in ini editor?

Burns
May 10, 2008

I havnt played Lonesome Road in like a decade but it always felt like it was supposed to have been post hoover dam content. Also there was like a fake ede companion??

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Burns posted:

I havnt played Lonesome Road in like a decade but it always felt like it was supposed to have been post hoover dam content. Also there was like a fake ede companion??

It's intended to be penultimate endgame content. There is a copy of ED-E that was made when real ED-E passed through the Divide and he still has an intact memory and personality core.

The ramifications of Lonesome Road are more pressing to the wasteland itself than the Mojave, which helps to emphasize the silliness of fighting over a Dam. The Dam controls the fate of the Mojave but Lonesome Road could end centuries of progress in an instant.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

And you've set your ini file using the built in ini editor?

Ah no I didn't know that was a thing. I think that fixed it, thanks!

Burns
May 10, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's intended to be penultimate endgame content. There is a copy of ED-E that was made when real ED-E passed through the Divide and he still has an intact memory and personality.

See that totally fell flat for me becaude ed-e was right behind me when i started and totally threw me off. Seems badly implemented imo.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Burns posted:

See that totally fell flat for me becaude ed-e was right behind me when i started and totally threw me off. Seems badly implemented imo.

Not sure what you mean by "fall flat" in this context. It's not meant to be a big twist or a cool moment or anything. One of the dialog options is basically just your character saying it's weird that ED-E is here and looks slightly different, and you get the slightly zany, science explanation.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It's pretty much just a way to get ED-E a bit more time in the sun because players like him, and to have a companion who they didn't have to record a bunch of voiced dialogue for

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I wish they had a better explanation for it than just "uh, the computers scanned ED-E remotely", which never made sense to me. Like... can't I even ask why???

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I wish they had a better explanation for it than just "uh, the computers scanned ED-E remotely", which never made sense to me. Like... can't I even ask why???

ED-E came from the Enclave, and don’t they mostly use pre-war government tech like the poo poo you would find at Hopeville?

Pre-War tech (especially military/government grade stuff) was always kind of borderline magical in Fallout games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Orange Crush Rush posted:

ED-E came from the Enclave, and don’t they mostly use pre-war government tech like the poo poo you would find at Hopeville?

Pre-War tech (especially military/government grade stuff) was always kind of borderline magical in Fallout games.

Enclave is one of the few innovators in the Wasteland because they have the prewar infrastructure preserved in their compounds. ED-E is explicitly a new postwar model of Eyebot but the procurement fights for resources meant that the line was canceled in favour of Hellfire Power Armour.

Prewar tech for the rich and powerful is the kind of crazy magic tech you get at the Sierra Madre, Big Mountain or Enclave manufacturing facilities.