Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I've asked it before I think but what are some superhero games goons would like to see tried that have never been done or could otherwise use a followup?

At the top of my list, I'd love to see an updated Hulk: Ultimate Destruction game. You wouldn't even have to change much. Just open up the world and slap next gen graphics on it.

I think a Daredevil game in the tradition of the Batman Arkham games that expanded on the detective vision would be awesome. And a Dr. Strange game that shifted the world around like the old Soul Reaver game on PS2 did could work using different spells that you learn and unlock.

I don't know how you do a good Green Lantern or proper Superman game but I'd like to see them try. Superman Returns (I think it was) had the good idea of giving Metropolis the health bar instead of Superman but I never played that one. How do you deal with all the poo poo that Green Lantern can do though? Maybe have him start out green (heh) and limited by his imagination where he just makes fists and boxing gloves and then add new powers he can unlock as he grows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There was a canceled Daredevil game that IIRC was from around the Affleck movie.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'd like to see a Superman game now that the tech to have large environments with fast streaming for flying around is available

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

There was a canceled Daredevil game that IIRC was from around the Affleck movie.

https://youtu.be/MF8AEtKXwEA

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I'd like an open city Blade game where I get to drive around in a muscle car putting as many pasty-faced uphill-skating motherfuckers to the sword as possible please, or a Catwoman/Black Cat heist thing where you sneak into various places to nab the loot (thinking a less murderous Hitman type thing - popping into the Baxter Building or Sanctum Sanctorum would be wild). A Jess & Jen team up for detective-cum-courtroom adventures would also be acceptable.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I want a Dr. Doom strategy game. Like crusader Kings but you're Doom.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A Flash game, but it's a puzzle where you "freeze time" and set things up like Quicksilver did in those X-Men movies to beat the baddies

Fake edit: Flash the character, not the terrible, dead tech

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Vince MechMahon posted:

I want a Dr. Doom strategy game. Like crusader Kings but you're Doom.

a strategy game where you always lose no matter what because RICHAAAAARDS shows up as an endgame event sounds hilarious ngl

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
That's a pretty cool idea for a Flash game actually.

muscles like this! posted:

I've seen that before and yikes. If I remember right, the publisher saw the success of Tony Hawk and wanted to make the game more skate boardish and grindy. Not a bad idea in a vacuum since DD being an acrobat is cool but if I remember right he has a lot of other powers too and probably a game using him should focus on that.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

site posted:

a strategy game where you always lose no matter what because RICHAAAAARDS shows up as an endgame event sounds hilarious ngl

It's like ski free!

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

sometimes I remember that canceled prototype for a Flash open-world game and get sad about what could've been

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

site posted:

Online multiplayer is just whoever can launch the Baxter Building into space the fastest isn't the Doombot.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I want an Avengers musou game.

A turn based RPG Marvel game not on Mobile would be swell, too.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Endless Mike posted:

A Flash game, but it's a puzzle where you "freeze time" and set things up like Quicksilver did in those X-Men movies to beat the baddies

Fake edit: Flash the character, not the terrible, dead tech

I think you could do a AAA version of what this surprisingly fun GBA game did with Flash where his powers are a combination of rushdown enemy seeking attacks, weird silver age super moves and the obligatory bullet time, all kept in check by a speed force meter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHeXTFKw9RY

Add an open world and the ability to go into superspeed mode to get around the map and you've got a game.

E: This guy's playing in the most boring way possible lol.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 23, 2021

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

BiggerBoat posted:

And a Dr. Strange game that shifted the world around like the old Soul Reaver game on PS2 did could work using different spells that you learn and unlock.
VR with motion controlled spells. He doesn't need the acrobatics and agility of other characters (so the relatively stationary nature of VR is okay) and waving your arms around while making wooshing noises and looking at the pretty lights would be fun, if tiring.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I actually have been planning out a Batman inspired game here and there.

In short, it's kind of a superhero sim game, but most closely resembling the Batman idea (Vigilante crime fighter by night, billionaire playboy by day). A big part of the game would be centered around your reputation; in the eyes of the public, in the eyes of the (honest) police and in the hearts of criminals.

During the night phase, you Batman around town, stopping random crime and maybe getting information from various lowlives and thugs. When you start out you have to beat information out of informants, but as you get more feared (or otherwise persuasive), some people will give it up willingly. This information might help you stop a heist as it's going down, rather than having to respond after the fact. As opposed to modern Arkham games, I don't know that combat would be a real interactive thing. You are a master ninja, your average gangster isn't going to any threat to you in a fist fight. Knives, guns and explosives are a concern, but I think the general idea is you are either winning this fight or retreating. If you win, you maybe walk away with some scrapes and bruises, and respect goes up. If you retreat, injuries are a little more severe and respect goes down.

At the end of the patrol phase, you rest, for some period of time, determined by you. Maybe you know that you are human, and you need a full 8 hours to stay sharp. Maybe sleep is for the week, and a quick disco nap will be just as good. Or maybe you can sleep when you are dead, and you'll just close your eyes as the batmobile auto pilots you home. Or some kick-rear end experimental uppers will zap that sleepiness right out of you. Sleep would restore your stamina, help heal any physical damage, and help set your mind at ease too. If you don't rest, eventually your stamina would fail and you would respond slower, or even start to lose health. Again, you can fix those with pills, but those have consequences as well.

Then there's the day phase, or the management of your megacorp. This is where you keep up appearances and manage your day job. You're the rich playboy, layabout son that no one expects too much out of, but if you want to have a say in how those billions get spent, you'll have to show up every now and again. Go to board meetings and as long as you show up, you help guide where the money goes. Maybe you do what some people say Bruce Wayne should do and you invest heavily in social programs to improve the city from the ground up. That would help, but the board will probably vote you out. Maybe instead, you decide to invest money researching military adjacent hardware. Some of which might be useful for a bat-themed vigilante. But here too there are hurdles. If everyone has access to Batman tech, that makes your enemies more powerful too. If the tech is developed by Wayne tech, never released to the public or military, but Batman has some gear that looks familiar to a few researchers, that might raise their suspicion of you. Also, that's bad for business

Suspicion would also kind of be alongside the reputation meters. If too many people can put together that Bruce Wayne is Batman, that might spell the end - or maybe not. Could Bruce Wayne save Gotham simply by investing smartly and defeating crime before it happens? Maybe. Could the police determine that a vigilante is way too risky of a thing and decide to hunt down and stop the bat? potentially. Could Batman instead use power and influence and turn Gotham into a fascist police state, usurping any traditional law and order? Also possible. Or maybe some night some punk with a gun gets lucky.

And that's kind of the loop. How do you devote your time to saving your city? Do you need the alter ego? Do you give people second chances, or do all criminals deserve only unfailing punishment. Do you operate entirely in shadow, by yourself, or do you allow yourself to be seen as a beacon of hope by the everyday populace?

Batman is the obvious influence, but I'd want to break some rules about Batman to make the game more interesting. Yes, a Batman who kills is trite by now, but it could be done if there are some real consequences. Yeah, criminals might think twice about potentially crossing you, but cops, local government and even the general populace might call for your head as well. And yeah, if you keep pushing past your stamina and health limits, you could get killed in the line of duty. The other reason I don't want to do Batman specifically is because I don't know how to work on supervillains. Yeah, you could have tougher bad guys that do way more damage, or have a bigger sway in reputation when they force a retreat, but without coming up with some kind of find clues, get info, hunt down bad guys detective mode, I don't know how to work them in without them being lame.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

BiggerBoat posted:

I've asked it before I think but what are some superhero games goons would like to see tried that have never been done or could otherwise use a followup?

At the top of my list, I'd love to see an updated Hulk: Ultimate Destruction game. You wouldn't even have to change much. Just open up the world and slap next gen graphics on it.

I think a Daredevil game in the tradition of the Batman Arkham games that expanded on the detective vision would be awesome. And a Dr. Strange game that shifted the world around like the old Soul Reaver game on PS2 did could work using different spells that you learn and unlock.

I don't know how you do a good Green Lantern or proper Superman game but I'd like to see them try. Superman Returns (I think it was) had the good idea of giving Metropolis the health bar instead of Superman but I never played that one. How do you deal with all the poo poo that Green Lantern can do though? Maybe have him start out green (heh) and limited by his imagination where he just makes fists and boxing gloves and then add new powers he can unlock as he grows?

I would love a sequel to those X-Men Academy fighting games now that the breadth of competent 3D fighting game developers is much larger. I love Marvel vs. Capcom, but I would love a fighting game that gives the X-Men cast some room to flex even more.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

CzarChasm posted:

Batman is the obvious influence, but I'd want to break some rules about Batman to make the game more interesting. Yes, a Batman who kills is trite by now, but it could be done if there are some real consequences. Yeah, criminals might think twice about potentially crossing you, but cops, local government and even the general populace might call for your head as well. And yeah, if you keep pushing past your stamina and health limits, you could get killed in the line of duty. The other reason I don't want to do Batman specifically is because I don't know how to work on supervillains. Yeah, you could have tougher bad guys that do way more damage, or have a bigger sway in reputation when they force a retreat, but without coming up with some kind of find clues, get info, hunt down bad guys detective mode, I don't know how to work them in without them being lame.
You would want to start introducing the super-criminals at around the point where the player has gotten the hang of the controls and the interface. The super-criminals would interact with the systems in various other ways - you might have a couple where they're just additional, huge challenges to resolving a case (these would be people like Croc or some takes on Clayface) and then you'd get a completely novel set of challenges, either from maniacs like Joker and Riddler, or from actual superhumans like Mr. Freeze or Poison Ivy.

This would also probably be a good point to start moving into the Batman Inc. stage of things, whether you choose to make the Outsiders, just stick with a Robin, or what. You would need to cultivate these people, and you might have some mechanic where you can build trust up but then sacrifice a lot of it for immediate gains, which would reproduce a common plot arclet in the actual btamn comics.

I figure your grand finale would be taking down a really huge problem - either one of your other guys (and you'd absolutely need a way to have supervillains recur several times) gets superpowerful or like, Darkseid shows up, or something - and you have to team up with Superman or Flash or similar. (Possibly, Supes or Flash are coming to you because you're the world's greatest detective.) After this moment of the World's Finest, you wrap up and roll credits, and if relevant, let people resume sim-Batting.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'll take that Batman idea and that Avengers musou game. I basically want a musou of every franchise to be honest.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Big :same: on wanting an Avengers musuo.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Square Enix: We have Avengers musou at home.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

BiggerBoat posted:

Honestly, Green Lantern has basically been Pokemon since The Sinestro Corps War. The fact DC didn't immediately crap out an MMO after Blackest Night was them just leaving money on the table.

Green Lantern always seemed like the easiest to gamify to me. Getting more creative constructions could just be a matter of standard RPG leveling and skill trees. That or make a MGS4/Drebin-style market menu. But that would probably mean making Will Power an in-game currency. Which would also 100% mean microtransactions.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

They already made a Green Lantern Corps game and it's called The Wonderful 101. :newlol:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

Honestly, Green Lantern has basically been Pokemon since The Sinestro Corps War. The fact DC didn't immediately crap out an MMO after Blackest Night was them just leaving money on the table.

Green Lantern always seemed like the easiest to gamify to me. Getting more creative constructions could just be a matter of standard RPG leveling and skill trees. That or make a MGS4/Drebin-style market menu. But that would probably mean making Will Power an in-game currency. Which would also 100% mean microtransactions.

A green Lantern game that played like Pokemon would be horrible.

JordanKai posted:

They already made a Green Lantern Corps game and it's called The Wonderful 101. :newlol:

This is better but actually the perfect Green Lantern game already exists, it's Scribblenauts, or one of the sequels. It's not perfect, but it's the best "you think it, it happens" game.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The DC Scribblenauts game was a lot of fun. Just spawning random characters, and seeing what happens. Almost any character you can imagine.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The saga continues

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Feels like I'm wearing nothing at all.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Make the symbiote spell 'juicy.'

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It's funny because his oversized to proportions make it look like a tiny butt

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
His back-bling sucks so bad.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Oh, apparently Gotham Knights got delayed to 2022. At the moment I don't have a whole lot of hope for it, but I really do want it to be good. Hopefully this is a good thing.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

catlord posted:

Oh, apparently Gotham Knights got delayed to 2022. At the moment I don't have a whole lot of hope for it, but I really do want it to be good. Hopefully this is a good thing.

it'll be DC's Avengers

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Soonmot posted:

it'll be DC's Avengers

Maybe they saw how bad avengers did and are scrambling to remove any Glass stuff.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I look at Knights and already it's 'throw in Cassandra and Stephanie you cowards.'

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Dawgstar posted:

I look at Knights and already it's 'throw in Cassandra and Stephanie you cowards.'

Agree as long as they aren't just skins for Barbara

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

hiddenriverninja posted:

Agree as long as they aren't just skins for Barbara

this

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I mean they won't have to hire a voice actor for Cassandra

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

They're gonna put in the BoP movie Cassandra. Wish Master reporting for duty.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Vince MechMahon posted:

They're gonna put in the BoP movie Cassandra. Wish Master reporting for duty.

Don't hurt me like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If you don't think it would be amazing to see BoP Cassandra Cain beating people up like an Arkham character I don't know what to say to you.