Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Zalakwe posted:

Gents this is deeply appreciated, thanks.

Is there a quick answer why the 5600x performs better. Just more bang for each core?

Yeah the Zen 3 cores have significantly higher IPC (instructions per clock, basically how much work done each clock cycle) to the point where the 5600X can get close to the 8-core Intel chips even in workloads that can use all eight cores. Games don't scale linearly with core count so generally the CPU with better IPC is going to win even vs another CPU with more cores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Smythe posted:

appears you literally cannot purchase a video card? pretty loving cool if you ask me.

Currently nvidia requires a blood sacrifice (1st cousin+) and some weird shaman poo poo.

I think you can get one if you have a third eye.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Smythe posted:

appears you literally cannot purchase a video card? pretty loving cool if you ask me.

Just bananas that five-ish months into release the thread title is still holding...

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Just bananas that five-ish months into release the thread title is still holding...

Its worse then release day :haw:

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Question on storage prioritization/best value. I'm doing basically the below quoted build, but my current storage is directly below. I obviously want more SSD storage, looking at the WD SN550 that everyone recommends. But I can't decide if I should: 1) replace my boot drive with a PCIe 4.0 NVMe/something with DRAM (so not the SN550), 2) focus on replacing the HDD with SSD (so a large cheap SATA SSD) or 3) just get more SSD storage for a good value (SN550 and keep everything else). My PC is entirely for gaming/old file storage on the HDD.

Boot drive: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SATA
Storage drive: WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM SATA

MmmDonuts posted:

Thanks for the feedback, here's my revised list:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($97.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $637.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-02-21 14:52 EST-0500

Anything off with this one?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

A large cheap SSD isn't really a thing yet, since there's no real price difference between NVMe and SATA SSDs yet. A 2TB SSD will still run you over $200. I think replace the boot drive with an NVMe SSD and keep the 2TB HDD for now.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It’s crazy how fast my new computer boots when you have Windows installed on an NVME

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
A friend of mine is idly thinking of building a PC for his family. He is in the UK. His budget is "about a grand" but he wants to hold some of that back for a monitor (1080p/24"/60Hz, fairly basic, we can manage that) so I'm guessing that brings us down to more like £880.

He says "I myself want to be able to do some virtual synth stuff [i.e. music production]. Some light photo editing. We do have a young man [age 4 right now] who might be getting into playing some games in the near future but I'm not looking for top end gaming. We have lots of old photos and files."

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£180.00 @ Currys PC World)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Evo 43.1 CFM CPU Cooler (£21.99 @ AWD-IT)
Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard (£89.99 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£74.20 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital SN750 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£59.99 @ Box Limited)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£46.88 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GT 710 2 GB Video Card (£45.28 @ CCL Computers)
Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500 ATX Mid Tower Case (£75.51 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: EVGA BQ 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£66.19 @ Ebuyer)
Wireless Network Adapter: Ziyituod ZYT-AX200 PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax Wi-Fi Adapter (£33.90 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £693.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-02-22 15:37 GMT+0000

That GPU is a placeholder, pending some hypothetical future month when decent GPUs can actually be, you know, bought for money.

My only observation is that getting a motherboard with wifi/Bluetooth onboard might be a better option, but I expect the thread has other suggestions.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

roomtwofifteen posted:

Question on storage prioritization/best value. I'm doing basically the below quoted build, but my current storage is directly below. I obviously want more SSD storage, looking at the WD SN550 that everyone recommends. But I can't decide if I should: 1) replace my boot drive with a PCIe 4.0 NVMe/something with DRAM (so not the SN550), 2) focus on replacing the HDD with SSD (so a large cheap SATA SSD) or 3) just get more SSD storage for a good value (SN550 and keep everything else). My PC is entirely for gaming/old file storage on the HDD.

Replace your boot drive with a PCIe 3.0 NVME, as in the SN550. PCIe 4.0 drives aren't fast enough to warrant the way higher cost.

Storage has no business living on an SSD, so just make sure the drive is backed up, and replace only if starting to fail (probably with another regular HDD).

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

roomtwofifteen posted:

I mean, unless you need >4TB, I would recommend all SSDs. Boot drive on an NVME (the SN550 we all love) and then a 2TB SSD for storage. If you really want to scrimp, you can get a 4TB platter for $150ish.

If you're on the fence between those, I would suggest getting a 2TB NVME as your boot and just going with that. Having 3TBs is a no man's land of bad choices. :shrug:

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s crazy how fast my new computer boots when you have Windows installed on an NVME

Is it noticeably different from just a regular SSD?

Going from mechanical to any SSD was already mind-blowing. From what I gathered, NVME was a negligible upgrade. But if it's worthwhile, I'll tack it on my next build.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Going from mechanical to any SSD was already mind-blowing. From what I gathered, NVME was a negligible upgrade. But if it's worthwhile, I'll tack it on my next build.

If you’re buying an SSD anyway and the board you’re using supports it, NVME is a no brainer due to negligible cost difference at boot drive size.

It’s not with it if you’ve already got working hardware you didn’t intend to replace.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

An NVMe is massively faster than a SATA SSD. I think the transfer rate of data from an NVMe is around 400mbps compared to 6mbps over SATA.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

njsykora posted:

An NVMe is massively faster than a SATA SSD. I think the transfer rate of data from an NVMe is around 400mbps compared to 6mbps over SATA.

This is wrong by orders of magnitude. SATA SSDs run around 500mbps, the SN550 is around 2400mbps, and the fastest PCIe 4.0 NVMe drives read at up to 7000mbps.

In terms of noticing a difference in boot speed and running games though, atm its negligible, but given the relative cost if you have a compatible board there's no reason not to get an NVMe.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

njsykora posted:

NVMe only hits those huge numbers at high queue depths, which just aren't common in consumer workloads. They're technically still faster at QD1, but for day-to-day usage it's not going to be a perceptible difference; the 600MBps of SATA III is fast enough that most actions don't take a meaningful amount of time to begin with.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Unless you are doing like, massive daily file transfers though, it's not going to be a noticeable upgrade like it was from HDD --> SSD. The boot times will be extremely fast on both and video games / programs will load extremely fast on both.

If you are building new, sure get one because the costs at the 1TB level are the same. But it's not worth upgrading a current one (unless you are doing huge file transfers).

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
For me the NVMe vs SATA SSD choice basically comes down to “what slots do I have open to install this thing”.

I don’t think I could ever go back to a platter drive for anything where I’d be installing games though. File storage, sure, I have a ton of platter drives I’ve pulled from laptops/prebuilts when I do upgrades for people. But it’s impossible to go back to platter drive load times for games.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
I just installed my first nvme drive this weekend, but had sata ssds for quite some time. Win10 is usually on the desktop before my 8 year old monitor turns on. It's insane. Usually I'd see the windows load screen with my sata ssd.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Siroc posted:

I just installed my first nvme drive this weekend, but had sata ssds for quite some time. Win10 is usually on the desktop before my 8 year old monitor turns on. It's insane. Usually I'd see the windows load screen with my sata ssd.

These are times for like "overclocking" the windows boot time (disabling a ton of poo poo, optimizing RAM/GPU for it, closing all startup programs, etc etc)

But it really is negligible, unless you desperately need the extra 1.5 seconds in your life or something.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Thom P. Tiers posted:

unless you desperately need the extra 1.5 seconds in your life or something.

Hey, that adds up you know. Rebooting every day would save me 9 minutes of my time a year.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

SSD vs NVME for normal usage boils down to deciding what you hate the least - cable clutter or working with M2 screws.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Dealing with M2 screws is why I’ve been putting off putting another NVMe drive in my new computer.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They are trivial if you buy magnetized screwdrivers. iFixit sells a good set.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

They are trivial if you buy magnetized screwdrivers. iFixit sells a good set.

I have a small tremor from years of boxing that doesn’t normally effect much but m2 screws are like exactly the wrong size for my busted up brain.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Dealing with M2 screws is why I’ve been putting off putting another NVMe drive in my new computer.

A good trick with tiny screws is to use a driver slightly too big so you can wedge the screw into the driver and it sticks. Then just screw it in like a half turn so it's stuck and use the right driver.

Or by a magnetized driver.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Currently nvidia requires a blood sacrifice (1st cousin+) and some weird shaman poo poo.

I think you can get one if you have a third eye.

bro i cant even buy a radeon. literally what decent card is on sale for money? im losing my loving mind over here

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Smythe posted:

bro i cant even buy a radeon. literally what decent card is on sale for money? im losing my loving mind over here

Live on a discord, pay full retail (or more) for a 3 year old card, or give up.

I'm not joking.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Smythe posted:

It’s insane. I’ve seen people buying 1050’s for like, 3060 MSRP.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
is there a decent placeholder for like $400? i have gtx 970 in my rig and i cannot play games with my bros anymore. my computer is too slow to game. gently caress

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Smythe posted:

is there a decent placeholder for like $400? i have gtx 970 in my rig and i cannot play games with my bros anymore. my computer is too slow to game. gently caress

nope. get on one of the stock drops discords.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Smythe posted:

pretty sure no, but if you find one tell me so i can buy it before you

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Smythe posted:

Not that’ll match the 970. Maybe if you can get your hands on a 1660 Super at that price, but that would take some luck. Though I did see some at MSRP at micro center the other day, kicking myself for not buying any.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Smythe posted:

Probably only if you live near a microcenter/similar and have some luck.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I don’t think I could ever go back to a platter drive for anything where I’d be installing games though. File storage, sure, I have a ton of platter drives I’ve pulled from laptops/prebuilts when I do upgrades for people. But it’s impossible to go back to platter drive load times for games.

I was surprised at how easy it was to set up RAID 1 Mirroring in Win10 with a couple HDDs. If you have a couple lying around (or you buy them; I've seen 1TB for $50), it's a great thing to add for long-term storage, because the setup isn't exotic at all.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
wrong thread nvm!

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 22, 2021

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Smythe posted:

I got an email from our distributor rep the other day: "Since all cards are out of stock everywhere, thought you might want to know we found a dozen unsold 24GB RTX 6000s. $3800/pop."

I laughed until I cried. Really regretting not building myself a new workstation last year.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
poo poo's insane right now and I'm actually finding myself tempted to get a Series X on ebay since it seems easy enough to get for like 100 bucks markup vs double or triple msrp. At this point I just want to see something cause a massive supply spike or demand to crater because I just want to see the third parties suffer.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?

Smythe posted:

Same boat. Still running my 970 and was waiting to upgrade. I waited to long... Best I can tell is to sign up for some discords and mailing services through retailers and watch them like a hawk.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Zig-Zag posted:

Same boat. Still running my 970 and was waiting to upgrade. I waited to long... Best I can tell is to sign up for some discords and mailing services through retailers and watch them like a hawk.

A 1650 Super or 1660 Ti would be a good incremental upgrade if you can score one close to MSRP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004
At this point I'm seriously considering something built around a apu to get through until stock becomes available, then putting in a decent card and upgrading the processor at the end of the year.