Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://techraptor.net/gaming/features/every-unfulfilled-promise-cyberpunk-2077

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

quote:

Staff did not believe it should be released in 2020: Badowski disputes this claim, as it came from 20 out of over 500 members off staff.

:thunk:

So 4% of the development team knows what's going on with the game.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

If it's not just him talking out of his rear end, it just means people are afraid to tell him the truth.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

itry posted:

If it's not just him talking out of his rear end, it just means people are afraid to tell him the truth.

Maybe, it could be the confluence of many in a hierarchical organization. The amount of people that have careers riding on half measures, juking stats, passing blame.. unlike the evil high stakes corporate culture in this game's fictional universe, reality is just basically Dilbert.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
I'm fine with it as long as they treat the current version of the game as an alpha or beta version that people got to play early. I think the game could be much better if they replace the shortcuts they took with better systems, and release these updates for free. This could take quite a long time to realize though, knowing CDPR timelines.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

If you have any hope for the game getting any kind of significant revamp then I highly suggest getting a reality check.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Jack Trades posted:

If you have any hope for the game getting any kind of significant revamp then I highly suggest getting a reality check.
Yeah...between them still trying to fix the existing versions, working on the next gen versions, doing the multiplayer, and the DLC there is no way.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I mean even in the infrequency of the patches should be troubling to any kind of vision in which a revamp is possible.

A game this buggy could be patched every week, like you see in beta builds of a game. Instead we've had one real patch that they dropped at the last minute and didn't even fix all the major issues. Even if they sneak in one more small patch by the end of February there's no expected drop date for other content.

I get that a lot of that is probably due to content restrictions on console patches but gently caress it just make the pc build the beta branch and package all the patches together for console when you find out they work correctly.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

itry posted:

To be clear, it's not that only 20 people in the team thought that, it's that 20 people were the sources for the Bloomberg article. It's kind of a ridiculous way to dispute an article "not our entire company was sourced", and it doesn't raise my perception of CDPR's management.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Rare footage from inside cd project red

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kpZVTe7bng&t=142s

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 38 days!

Jack Trades posted:

At this point anyone thinking CP2077 is gonna get a significant revamp probably also thinks Stadia shutting down their first-party game development studio is a good sign for the future of the platform, and that Trump is secretly still president and will arrest Biden and all the other Democrats on March 4th. It's wishful thinking bordering on delusion.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Honestly just port the cars of 2077 to another racing game, the only reason I got excited about this game to begin with was to drive all the cool cybercars.

The Quadra V-Tech is in Forza Horizon 4 and it's a blast to drive in that game.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

quote:

Finally, the E3 2018 mentioned that we were being shown “V’s current apartment,” implying we would have been able to buy property, which would make sense considering V’s elevated status after the first act.

"V's current apartment" does not promise that you can buy others, and you do get access to other apartments over the course of the game. These articles are all disingenuous bullshit that take tiny blurbs and contort them into promises CDPR never made.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

To be clear, it's not that only 20 people in the team thought that, it's that 20 people were the sources for the Bloomberg article. It's kind of a ridiculous way to dispute an article "not our entire company was sourced", and it doesn't raise my perception of CDPR's management.
It’s also a bad response because not everyone in a 500 person company is necessarily working on the game either. The marketing folks may be siloed off, stuff is solid in one place but a wreck elsewhere, etc. I The standard, true, canned answer is that the sources may not represent the full picture and also that in almost every technical project with soft requirements there will be vigorous disagreements about software estimates.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

I mean, you will always find people who will say "I was the Kassandra who said we were all doomed!" and even easier to find devs who will say "we wasted valuable dev time on a vertical slice."

The game would have probably been the GOTY GOAT if they had dropped last gen support, but that's hard to do when they announced so early that those consoles were all new. If this had been a PC Only title that then released on consoles, most/all of this could have been avoided.

I'm still confident that all of the systems will be finished, polished and released in a mega update ala Witcher 2. Seeing the screens in train stations with the "time to next arrival" makes me hopeful I may, one day, get to ride that loving train...

Sachant posted:

"V's current apartment" does not promise that you can buy others, and you do get access to other apartments over the course of the game. These articles are all disingenuous bullshit that take tiny blurbs and contort them into promises CDPR never made.

There's also an upscale apartment for V that was unfinished and apparently only accessible by AV:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NzKWPBEYBo

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Yeah, I think they will mostly just fix bugs for all the future non-dlc patches. I wish this would only apply for the old gen console versions, but at least try to improve the core game in the other versions.

It's a shame because it shouldn't be too hard to make improvements to some things in the game, considering that there are things that look like they spent a total of one day implementing. It takes CDPR so much time to fix bugs and optimize all the versions of the game, that they wouldn't be able to work on anything else for at least a year. I mean, they shouldn't even think about dlc until they flesh out the core game imo, but whatever.

Toxoplasmid
May 18, 2004

This game is rad and I'm having fun, glad I didn't hype myself for it so no unfulfilled promises were made to me going in. It is what it is.
Bugs so far have all been the mildly amusing type; Stretchy trees, cars parked within cars, random strange animations etc.
Things that definitely need improving; the car handling, crafting etc etc etc

On Act 2 still, 70 hours in :lol:
Here's some random screenshots. Settings on medium-low for solid 1080p-60. I have a 1070ti, i7 7700k.

https://i.imgur.com/azedPie.png NWS for nip. These guys were wrecked on some crazy :catdrugs: blabbering gibberish at each other

Can tell the city architecture and detailing is an absolute labour of love. Jaw hits the floor often.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

There's also an upscale apartment for V that was unfinished and apparently only accessible by AV:

Nope. It’s used in the Night City Legend ending.

Besides “V shopping for real estate” doesn’t make much sense when, in the narrative, they only have a few weeks left to live.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

No? That's the apartment used in the Path of Glory ending. That's the apartment V has at the end as part of the story beat.

As I said, most of these "false promises" are bullshit from people who read a blurb, even paraphrased second-hand, and imagined it to mean something CDPR never meant. Still waiting on the original quote from CDPR that promised the "1000 NPC lifepaths" or whatever that summary-of-a-summary-of-a-translation article cooked up.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sachant posted:

They explicitly mentioned having several available apartments in several interviews but then walked back on on it roughly a year ago.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

They explicitly mentioned having several available apartments in several interviews but then walked back on on it roughly a year ago.

You unlock 2 apartments though

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

yr new gurlfrand! posted:

It feels like V’s apartment was supposed to be a bigger part of the game considering how much of the prologue focuses on his time in there, the gun storage, the computer and then meeting Johnny.

Then you just never sleep again, rip your clothes off of random dead punks and never go back.

I kept going back to check on my pet cat!

I finished this up over the weekend and overall I enjoyed it a lot, despite some bugs and some obviously "oh gently caress this doesn't work at all yet, well just slap in a simplified version for release!" systems. The difficulty was weird though. I rapidly got to the point where Normal was no challenge at all, I even killed a group of skull level enemies although it took an age, so I upped it to Hard which was OK with a few exceptions:

Firstly, the boxing missions - the guy with the metal arm was able to defeat me in one punch and it took 10+ attempts to beat him, then the golden dude was just unbeatable - not only could he kill me in one punch, but I barely moved his HP bar and he had a punch that hit well outside of where the visual model was. I had to turn that fight down to Normal again and didn't bother with the rest of the fights. Even on Hard most bosses died in moments to Thermal Mantis blades - for example I killed Sasquatch right through what is meant to be some kind of healing and hammer-stealing gimick?

But then I got to the ending, and while the first ending I got (corpo) was easy, it was heart breaking, so I looked up the other choices and went back and did the secret ending and it was insanely difficult. Every single enemy was skull-threat and without being able to save I was never able to get into the elevator. I eventually had to turn it down to Normal again and even then it wasn't easy. I have no idea how I would have completed it if I wasn't able to craft my own ammo as well as having a focus on Mantis Blades because each area was using most of my ammo even with a lot of Melee and there was not a lot to be found lying around.

Amusingly, in both endings I ruined Smasher utterly in mere moments to the point he was still giving me his opening threats as he lay burning and limbless on the floor.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Yes? You unlock/buy more apartments over the course of the game through the story beats. That is correct.

These articles are disingenuous bullshit from people looking for the least charitable interpretation possible.

Sachant fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 22, 2021

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
There are 4 more apartments (minus the ending one), one for each romance storyline. I only found Panams and Judy's in my playthrough, but I assume the rest are there.

The real tragedy is that apartments are meaningless, since the stash was bugged and doesn't connect to the car stash.

Every one of those articles is "what can I wildly speculate based on a single sentence describing a feature and then be disappointed when my speculation turned out to be wrong"

A better article would be "what's actually in the game that is obviously unfinished" like NPC AI, driving, said apartment, customization, buying cars, etc.

Lechtansi fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 22, 2021

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I never went back to any of the other apartments to use them as a apartments. I might have incidentally gone back to one because of a mission Panam or Judy had. I occasionally went back to the starter apartment to drop off a legendary weapon I'd picked up.

If there were more apartments to buy they'd have ended up like 90% of the cars I bought. Something I got to tick off a box but would never use. Honestly what would you do with another apartment? You don't need to sleep. You don't need to eat. You don't need to shower. You can't invite people over. You can watch TV, I guess, if you can sit through watching the umpteenth iteration of the ads that are constantly blasted at you throughout the game.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Frankly the fact that you do get other apartments and so many people seemed not to notice is probably a testament to how vestigial an apartment is in this game

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

2house2fly posted:

Frankly the fact that you do get other apartments and so many people seemed not to notice is probably a testament to how vestigial an apartment is in this game

They're only useful for stashing poo poo, and I barely use them as it is.

At least with, say, Skyrim, it made sense to purchase, build and furnish dwellings all over the map. Can you say the same for CyberPunk?

For me, V's apartment is little more than "where V drops off her poo poo and waits for mission-critical calls."

Besides, if V is going to die in a matter of weeks, why would they be running around Night City buying up real estate?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
idk if its just bad luck or some poor logic in the game, but it seems like incoming phone calls occur right as i start important dialogue with someone pretty frequently

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah...between them still trying to fix the existing versions, working on the next gen versions, doing the multiplayer, and the DLC there is no way.

there will be no next gen version, they are going to slap whatever stable pc version they manage to do and release it for ps5xbox before they start working on the dlcs and call it a day

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Vagabundo posted:

They're only useful for stashing poo poo, and I barely use them as it is.

Even then, all there really is to stash is unique weapons. I might to back to the apartment if I really want to beat someone to death with a dido I guess

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Speaking of apartments, even in Oct 2020 they still teased us with the idea of a "big house" in this trailer. https://youtu.be/6a8f1TbYb2w

At that time it had already been announced that there would be no additional safe houses.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Why would you stash poo poo in a loot shooter, is the question. Anything you sock away is going to be rapidly outclassed by stuff you pluck off random mooks unless you've got a crafting build and are like, really into a given gimmick gun. Otherwise you could just sell the loot.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

2house2fly posted:

Even then, all there really is to stash is unique weapons. I might to back to the apartment if I really want to beat someone to death with a dido I guess

Same. I just drop iconic gear I'm not equipping, because I want to avoid accidentally disassembling them, and any other unique gear like Yorinobu's clothes and glasses that I've picked up.

I also managed to fill the stash display in my Corpo playthrough, so that was its own challenge.

Either way, IMO, the apartment and lack of purchasing options doesn't matter anyway.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

wyoak posted:

idk if its just bad luck or some poor logic in the game, but it seems like incoming phone calls occur right as i start important dialogue with someone pretty frequently
This kind of thing broke at least one of my gig sidequests

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Wakako always calls about the Sinnerman quest as I'm dropping off the Militech surveillance van at Dakota's garage.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It's really weird that the dialogue choice UI was clearly designed at least in part to accommodate multiple conversations occurring at once, and literally nothing else was.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

The game would have probably been the GOTY GOAT if they had dropped last gen support
there's too many important systems that are completely broken to even begin to think that

yeah, the game is busted on last gen consoles (and looks even worse after whatever texture "improvements" they made in 1.11) but really a lot of the core mechanics are just straight up non functional

Darkrenown posted:

Amusingly, in both endings I ruined Smasher utterly in mere moments to the point he was still giving me his opening threats as he lay burning and limbless on the floor.
how can you expect CDPR to make a boss fight in first person?! they've never done it before. cut the multi billion dollar company some slack

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm sad I finished the game without finding out that you can get a Batmobile

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

The game would have probably been the GOTY GOAT if they had dropped last gen support, but that's hard to do when they announced so early that those consoles were all new. If this had been a PC Only title that then released on consoles, most/all of this could have been avoided.

Nah, the game is too much of a mixed bag for that, with a good amount of bad stuff. GTA 3, a game from 2008, had better physics, way better cop/pedestrian/car AI and ran on a PS3 with 256MB Ram.

Games like Dragon Age Origins, the Fallout series, ME2 and Witcher 3 are often better when it comes to rpg decisions and branching story lines. Just cause a studio is capable of writing a decent fantasy story, does not automatically mean that they would get Pondsmith's Cyberpunk "right".

The highlight of the game's missions is The Pickup, and I find it weird that they made a shorter campaign, cause some people found the Witcher 3 campaign "too long", while at the same time stuffing 100+ hours worth of pointless side missions and gigs into the world.

All these distractions simply do not fit the trope of the Hero with a ticking Bomb and the development hours might have been better used, if they had brought the rest of the campaign to the level of The Pickup. With more choices, 1-2 additional endings and more consequences for the player's decisions.

In it's best moments the game is a ray traced jewel, offering us arcs like the Panam and River stories and missions like The Pickup or Transmission. While accompanied by one of the best soundtracks in any game.

In it's worst moments the game is a buggy, unimmersive mess, where we follow a string of cookie cutter missions that fail to form a coherent rpg experience and lead to an unsatisfying ending.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Games should go back to the 16-bit/32-bit days so they can use all that work and power to make really good game sinstead of really good looking ones.

Especially since how good your game looks is more dependent on design than graphics.