Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

RubberLuffy posted:

The Story Between a Dumb Prefect and a High School Girl with an Inappropriate Skirt Length

X

I really like the art style of this and I can’t figure out why. Something about thick lines and sharp corners I guess...

*sigh*

... what’s this one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

I. M. Gei posted:

*sigh*

... what’s this one?
another oneshot https://mangadex.org/title/62022/my-cute-plastic-shopping-bag-cat

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Dai Dark

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

https://twitter.com/outingpredators/status/1008085525163462656

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

I. M. Gei posted:

I really like the art style of this and I can’t figure out why. Something about thick lines and sharp corners I guess...
their artstyle is great, the stark edges and thick outlines really accentuate the characters emoting, and the hands and limbs are generally bigger and more pronounced than normal which gives it a more unique style.

They're also the artist for masturbation master kurosawa, which is far more interesting than the title lets on, and also one of my favorite current series: destroy all humankind. they can't be regenerated., which is such an insanely specific series I don't even know. It's about a pair of high schoolers who play magic the gathering in japan in 1998, at the height of end-of-the-world hysteria. And it's almost a historical piece with how it goes into the details of specific real life decks that dominated the meta at the time so the author clearly knows their stuff for the most part. It's really good but I'm still not sure how they got it picked up with that premise. :v:

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Captain Invictus posted:

their artstyle is great, the stark edges and thick outlines really accentuate the characters emoting, and the hands and limbs are generally bigger and more pronounced than normal which gives it a more unique style.

They're also the artist for masturbation master kurosawa, which is far more interesting than the title lets on, and also one of my favorite current series: destroy all humankind. they can't be regenerated., which is such an insanely specific series I don't even know. It's about a pair of high schoolers who play magic the gathering in japan in 1998, at the height of end-of-the-world hysteria. And it's almost a historical piece with how it goes into the details of specific real life decks that dominated the meta at the time so the author clearly knows their stuff for the most part. It's really good but I'm still not sure how they got it picked up with that premise. :v:

I started reading Destroy All Humankind and it’s great. This and Hi-Score Girl apparently mean that I really enjoy 90’s period pieces about specific nerd subcultures.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Coaaab posted:

Title: A Manga with Too Many Premises (Oneshot)

Y'know, this is supposed to be like an overload thing but you could make all the ones quoted dovetail pretty well if you had a mind to.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I went searching for that manga in the hopes there were more pages that would make the situation even more absurd but that's it, just those 4 pages.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I will always post entire oneshots if they're short and interesting enough

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Captain Invictus posted:

Started reading "Destroy All Humankind. They Can't Be Regenerated." because of this post, and I'm all caught up. Good poo poo, though I'm starting to worry because of that brief flash-foward to Emi as an adult, the way Emi's thoughts about her memories of him were phrased made it sound like he died at some point before 2012. :ohdear:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Over the last few years Yokota has become one of my favorite mangaka, his art style is very striking and he loves to convey intensity and passion in his characters. His duo stories always have interesting plots to them and with his solo works he seems big on letting his casts shine which results in more of an ensemble feel. The best example of this is Sesuji wo Pin! which is his best work in my opinion. Bringing a dance sport series to Shonen Jump couldn't have been an easy pitch but this series nails it for the 9 volumes it got, this story is a rare one where my heart leapt at times and a couple of fist pumps were made.

Story is focused around a pair of freshmen joining their high school's dance team all the school's pairs are the focus. The timid, short, and novice Tsuchiya and Eri. The fiery latin centric 2nd years Yamaki and Tsubaki. And the nearly professional level 3rd years the Ronald McDonald looking Doigaki and his longtime partner and friend Rio. We meet many other duos and for the most part all of them get developed and properly motivated. The Main characters themsleves brush up against some real giants but handle it in their unique way.

The theme of the story could be summarized as "Dancing is fun" and conveys that earnestly through the cast and the several tournament arcs. I did a little ballroom dancing back in the day and reading this made me want to go back to it.

Also shout-out to one of the best side characters in a sports manga finally getting some proper credit. That one really knowledgable guy that sits in the stands all the time.

He is omnipresent and great to have around. Rarely seen without his subtitle.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Brought To You By posted:

Over the last few years Yokota has become one of my favorite mangaka, his art style is very striking and he loves to convey intensity and passion in his characters. His duo stories always have interesting plots to them and with his solo works he seems big on letting his casts shine which results in more of an ensemble feel. The best example of this is Sesuji wo Pin! which is his best work in my opinion. Bringing a dance sport series to Shonen Jump couldn't have been an easy pitch but this series nails it for the 9 volumes it got, this story is a rare one where my heart leapt at times and a couple of fist pumps were made.

Story is focused around a pair of freshmen joining their high school's dance team all the school's pairs are the focus. The timid, short, and novice Tsuchiya and Eri. The fiery latin centric 2nd years Yamaki and Tsubaki. And the nearly professional level 3rd years the Ronald McDonald looking Doigaki and his longtime partner and friend Rio. We meet many other duos and for the most part all of them get developed and properly motivated. The Main characters themsleves brush up against some real giants but handle it in their unique way.

The theme of the story could be summarized as "Dancing is fun" and conveys that earnestly through the cast and the several tournament arcs. I did a little ballroom dancing back in the day and reading this made me want to go back to it.

Also shout-out to one of the best side characters in a sports manga finally getting some proper credit. That one really knowledgable guy that sits in the stands all the time.

He is omnipresent and great to have around. Rarely seen without his subtitle.

Interesting! Out of curiosity, do you know how it compares to Ballroom E Youkoso? The premise sounds very similar, and that has been one of my favorite sports manga of the past decade.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Suleman posted:

Interesting! Out of curiosity, do you know how it compares to Ballroom E Youkoso? The premise sounds very similar, and that has been one of my favorite sports manga of the past decade.
The biggest differences are how dances are depicted and how drama is articulated. Ballroom E Youkoso has more fluid art and the drama is more framed around the mental, physical, and emotional troubles of dance sport. To name a few moments The one senior dancer who in the past been hit by a truck and returned to dance even though the pressures of going pro had gotten to him and he honestly welcomed the accident. Most recently the MC was suffering from a nearly detached retina and contemplated going against his coaches wishes and dancing in the next grand prix because they need to accumulate points to rank properly. The MC and best girl were butting heads for entire volumes and it was a major hurdle for him to even lead properly since he's both inexperienced and was carried by his former partner's skills Which isn't to say the story is morbid or gritty, but the stress of dancing is painted with a pretty melodramatic brush. The story is more focused on the core group of dancers all within the same studio but really it's the Main character Tatara's story.

Sesuji as I said is high energy with it's visuals. Not nearly as smooth as Ballroom but good poses and very kinetic dancers. The story also more deeply covers both the classical styles of Dancing and the latin divisions. The Drama by contrast is also more upbeat and positive. To compare None of the characters suffer any serious injury in the plot. The closest is the 2nd year Latin duo trying out a risky move and getting some bandages as a result. And pair of rival dancers specializing in the Venetian waltz; the Male lead has a sickly constitution but he's still pushing himself to stand with the best. His partner realizes the strain of the final tournament was too hard on him and they withdraw but it's a pretty sweet moment at the end of the day. Nobody really struggles to mesh well with their partners either and the few misunderstandings or complications are handled tactfully and quickly. This one is still an ensemble story so everyone including the rivals take center stage and you can expect to go maybe an entire volume or two without the main characters doing anything as the reigns get handed to the 2nd and 3rd years.

Both are worth reading and I'm glad the mangaka for Ballroom is back in good health.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Suleman posted:

drat that's an intense page. I'm not very interesting in manga about dancing but the composition and energy here is stop notch. The Shonen Jump one also looks very high energy and fun, great style.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Ccs posted:

drat that's an intense page. I'm not very interesting in manga about dancing but the composition and energy here is stop notch. The Shonen Jump one also looks very high energy and fun, great style.

It's definitely worth a read for composition/art alone, even if you aren't interested in ballroom dancing. The art obviously ratchets up a notch for dramatic parts of competition, but it is excellent in general.

To add on what Brought To You By said, they both handle the balance between plot, character, and "teaching" of ballroom dance deftly, albeit in different ways. I like Ballroom e Youkoso a lot more, but they're both good reads.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

X

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Never has a manga attacked me like this before

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Archer666 posted:

Thread for posting manga panels you like burn into the ground

There was also a fifth one NOOO

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Archer666 posted:

Is that the one where they download the internet?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ZeusCannon posted:

Is that the one where they download the internet?

The fourth one is with Justin Long and Kevin Smith. The fifth one has Jai Courtney. Neither are any good.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Die Hard 4 is my favorite Bruce Wallace movie.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

VgameT
Dec 31, 2007

therefore I only muttered "neu"

X

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

My favorite page from any series. I just find something poignant about that misanthropic statement.

Chicken Thumbs
Oct 21, 2020

Time is dead and meaning has no meaning!

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

x

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

:nws: pretty much this whole fuckin chapter :nws:

Bonus:
tag urself I’m Ultimate Grandma

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

x

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

x

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

:nws: pretty much this whole fuckin chapter :nws:

Bonus:
tag urself I’m Ultimate Grandma

Real talk, I have recurring nightmares of normally slow things like kids on bikes passing me while I'm doing 60+ miles an hour and then swerving in front of the car.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The jet-powered grandma is like an actual urban legend in Japan.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Surprised you didn't post any of the product placement.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Nemo2342 posted:

Surprised you didn't post any of the product placement.
it's no yuru camp in that regard

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

x

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Note: this is a metaphor, he doesn't actually have gross eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb

Spy x Family is still pretty great, and Anya's still mad about the leaf, George.