Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

It makes sense that they would break up eventually, because they're insanely rich and loved so why not just retire

If you listen to interviews throughout their career and look at the way people talk about them, it seems like Guy Manuel was the brains behind Discovery and lots of the early work (as evidenced by Le Knight Club, the Sebastian Tellier album he produced and basically all the Crydamoure label stuff) and a lot of their early singles that were really good, like Music Sounds Better With You. Thomas Bangalter's solo (kinda) stuff like Together, So Much Love to Give, and the remix of Signatune were good but also a lot more derivative and flat and it seemed like he was more of a collaborator and producer than the sampling god of the group. It also seemed like he was way more interested in actual composition, like the Tron soundtrack and RAM. Everyone who talked about RAM in interviews basically only even mentioned Thomas and his vision rather than Guy.

Also, Guy did Nightcall from Drive too. So there's that.

If I had to guess, Guy was fine with whatever and Thomas wanted to go up his own rear end so they just called it quits.

Thanks for reading my post about conspiracy theories surrounding two boogie robotmen.

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wait if it’s two dudes then why aren’t they called Daft Punks? :thunk:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

27th president nutted in his grave call that Taft Spunk

Rivethead
Feb 22, 2008

Who is Draft Punk? I'm still listening to Air -Moon Safari.

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug
How did those robots get stuck out in the desert to where one of them has to self destruct in the first place? They're world renown musicians! Somone should investigate their handlers/technicians.

twit666
Nov 16, 2006

Soiled Meat

Bronze Fonz posted:

My reaction to this news is I hope it doesn't kill the business of a guy I know in Mexico making a killing off reaaaaally good DP replica masks. :(

Gotta link to a website?

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Eating mac-and-cheese by myself at 2 am after the bar call that Kraft Drunk

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
I got to see em in 2007, so bucket list item there. But I lost my Monster brand DP headphones a couple years ago in a move. Rip.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i love their music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3AKrwna2C8

twit666
Nov 16, 2006

Soiled Meat

twit666 posted:

Gotta link to a website?

Thank you should've scrolled more. Got too excited.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

A lotta people talking RAM and not mentioning Instant Crush or Doin it Right, smdh

Lol I remember when Lowtax got super pissy that Daft Punk used samples

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSDT1eVxfIY

Edit: cannot get this to embed to save my life. It’s Il Macquillage by Sister Sledge

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 22, 2021

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

I don't blame them for splitting up. It must have been very hot and uncomfortable wearing those robot masks.

Homers BBBq
Mar 11, 2008
This was the only part of RAM I enjoyed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2f6lNmmd1M&t=205s

And only on the album version no less.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I only enjoyed the first second of Around the World and nothing else they did because I am very cool and people enjoy my sharing my hatred of things that are good

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

daft punk gave me a uti which produced shaft gunk. rest in piece robot man.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I have officially wasted my life by never seeing them live. It was very high on my bucket list, I am devastated. One of the greatest bands of all time, I regularly get random daft punk binges going for a few days where I listen to da funk 3 times in a row and then through their discography.

They're also responsible for me not dancing at clubs or parties for years because some random guy laughed hard seeing me flail to one more time at a club when I was 16, so many memories :(

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Daft Punk is very cool and good. :rip:

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
I saw 'em at Keyspan Park. Y'all can smell my breath I guess, if you want. Make a line.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
wearing masks / the robot gimmick was a brilliant idea and single-handedly made "guys twiddle a knob or press some buttons while a laptop does all the work" seem cool on stage

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
f

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
No cybering?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
omg i screwed up it's on the wrong hand!!

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Cacator posted:

A lotta people talking RAM and not mentioning Instant Crush or Doin it Right, smdh
oh man I love instant crush
lose yourself to dance is great, too. that funky lil guitar 🥰

it's like that moment on the dance floor when the crowd happens to part just enough that you a little blast of cool air from the ceiling fans, in song form

that album was my 2013. it was something else, you just hear it immediately know, this is what's happening now. they brought disco back. we have rediscovered dance music that you can actually dance to, and it is funky and there is a groove and you can feel it and shake your hips and I'm gonna live it while I can, and I did, and it ruled
we went to a throwback roller disco thing in the city and it turned out none of my straight friends could skate, but I could, and hitting the floor to get lucky, slotted between ymca and I will survive like it belonged was a loving religious experience

w/r/t samples, robot rock is the funniest because it's literally just the sample
I'm not even sure if they added the words "robot rock" I think the original just kinda sounded like it said that already

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
At least it was more cinematic than how most musicians' careers end.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i saw them in melbourne at the sidney myer music bowl and it owned. probably a top 3 gig for me

hth

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic01Vhiyrb4

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Press F for Faft Funk

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qN2k-IfsHs

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I'm now remembering the one quote they gave to that magazine way back when:

quote:

"We did not choose to become robots. There was an accident in our studio. We were working on our sampler, and at exactly 9:09 am on September 9, 1999, it exploded. When we regained consciousness, we discovered that we had become robots."

The epilogue video was posted to their YouTube account at exactly 9:09 AM, February 22nd, 2021

edit: 22 years later

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 22, 2021

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Cacator posted:

Lol I remember when Lowtax got super pissy that Daft Punk used samples

https://twitter.com/NehhLmao/status/1363925150958317568?s=20

this is pretty cool

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

RAM was a boring album that sucked compared to the bangers they'd put out until then

lose yourself to dance is extremely embarassing, in hindsight

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Fur20 posted:

omg i screwed up it's on the wrong hand!!
i sympathize. i found out only 3 days ago that it takes a little longer to dig up a hello.jpg to reference right now than people would expect

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Just flip it 180

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Aardvark! posted:

"feel the power" my rear end 🤬

don't
do that either

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnNdNCS9DIY
the daft punk itself that i never listened to before. it seems like they got through the whole early 90s stereolab-ish middle ground between hipster rock and electronic in just 4 songs and then went all in on the synths. you can clearly hear the guitar solos and the disco samples from the start though

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

the gig was like this and cool and good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNMfEqRHMT8

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i wonder if they had acces to that giant robot barge thing in star war (1977) if they could have maintained the robot better so it didn't explode. then we coudl still be enjoying daft punk to this day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

https://twitter.com/gxgxrts/status/1363963060189290496?s=21