Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Just as a reminder, Midnight was a regular mortal ten years ago. Most people in Sandrah's life should know her, including Sandrah herself. Obviously the timeline is all kinds of hosed up here, given that Midnight was 24 when she ascended to godhood and her retson is like 1200 years old, but it is kind of a central plot point that all the late teen/early twenties Bhaalspawn running around were conceived before Bhaal died, which is the very event that led to her apotheosis.

I've spent maybe 10 minutes studying the lore here, which is more time than the author of this sixty hour mod has spent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Now I'm curious what's in the final chapter of the mod (which should be the second chapter after ToB), given that it deals with gods and stuff.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

"It sounds funny, I know! But it really is so. Oh, I'm my own grandpa."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYlJH81dSiw

Except somehow much worse.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean, obviously she is gonna turn into the new Mystra so you can keep smushin booties after you become a god, and also she gets to bang all the other gods, possibly she'll gracefully refuse the offer if the PC stays mortal, possibly she'll railroad you into not even getting the choice. You'll spend the chapter clowning on Talos and various other evil gods and demon princes, all of whom want to bang Sandrah. What else could it possibly be?

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

I don't know if this is Sandrah or the Icewind Dale Mod people to razz but how do you even bother deciding 'Jarlaxle needs a portrait' and go for

when dude looks like

Ramc
May 4, 2008

"eh, close enough"

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Dang that one stylish mofo. Pity about the portrait just random emo boi.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Yeah, the Avatar Trilogy or whatever has Cyric start off fairly normal, albeit ruthless, then he goes super evil sort of because plot demands it somewhere along the way, if I am remembering correctly. The whole the mantle corrupted him thing is copied whole cloth from some other IP. And the time line of this mod makes no sense at all, obviously.

Those books weren’t great. But they’re a lot better than the spellplague and other obnoxious realm lore after them. Mask of the betrayer still makes me very annoyed.

Velius fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 22, 2021

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ramc posted:

I don't know if this is Sandrah or the Icewind Dale Mod people to razz but how do you even bother deciding 'Jarlaxle needs a portrait' and go for

That's already a guy in the Forgotten Realms too. https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Pharaun_Mizzrym

Jarlaxle walking around Menzoberranzan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWNQTqMkezc

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Velius posted:

Yeah, the Avatar Trilogy or whatever has Cyric start off fairly normal, albeit ruthless, then he goes super evil sort of because plot demands it somewhere along the way, if I am remembering correctly. The whole the mantle corrupted him thing is copied whole cloth from some other IP. And the time line of this mod makes no sense at all, obviously.

Those books weren't great. But they're a lot better than the spellplague and other obnoxious realm lore after them. Mask of the betrayer still makes me very annoyed.

What's wrong with Mask of the Betrayer? Besides not getting the option to destroy the Wall of the Faithless.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hypocrisy posted:

What's wrong with Mask of the Betrayer? Besides not getting the option to destroy the Wall of the Faithless.

Let's start with "Literally everything about the Wall of the Faithless in Mask is wrong", add "There are explicit counter-arguments against Kaelyn's objections, which she would know as a follower of Kelemvor" and move on from there.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

no fake eyepatch, not bald, no flamboyant hat, no shifting rainbow cloak, no magic noise control boots... just give him an axe everyone loves axes right. nailed it

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I never played BG2 and I'm still pretty sure the mysterious cloaked figure is the antagonist of that game.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

tithin posted:

You know I was gonna crack a joke about her half demon half angel heritage, but considering ~her lineage~ is even worse than that.

loving hell tho.

God, that reminds me of ye olde RP days. poo poo, do I still have that screenshot...? One second

Fun fact: she later somehow retroactively gained like five other lineages.

Sindai posted:

I never played BG2 and I'm still pretty sure the mysterious cloaked figure is the antagonist of that game.

There's even a "mysterious masked man that is clearly Irenicus" portrait in Siege of Dragonspear. I'm surprised she didn't use it.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Hypocrisy posted:

That’s pretty much it. I love the game but when it ends by making your efforts meaningless it’s kind of a downer, especially when everyone involved knows it’s terrible and should make other choices. But I guess TSR said they couldn’t make any changes to the setting or something.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Velius posted:

That’s pretty much it. I love the game but when it ends by making your efforts meaningless it’s kind of a downer, especially when everyone involved knows it’s terrible and should make other choices. But I guess TSR said they couldn’t make any changes to the setting or something.

Correction: Obsidian assumed that TSR wouldn't let them make any major changes and didn't ask. TSR says they would have let them, since they were launching 4E soon anyway.

Also, the Wall of the Faithless as it existed in 2E and 3E Forgotten Realms is nothing like how it's presented in Mask beyond the vaguest concept.

In brief: in the actual lore of the tabletop setting, the Wall is for people who reject the gods. Not for the ignorant, not for those who worshiped something other than a god, only those who specifically and consciously refuse to accept the rule of a god, even in the Fugue Plane after the gods have specifically explained what's going to happen. You don't even have to worship a god, just acknowledge that they're in charge.

No one ends up in the Wall who didn't literally ask for it with full knowledge of what it entails.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 22, 2021

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Chapter LXVI - Everrithing is wrrong with you and false. You have the stink of the city's backwater deep in yourr expensive dresses and made up hairdo.

And we're back on the Sword Coast ready to finish off some more mod content. :black101:

Quayle was in my party for a little while in a blink-and-you'll-miss-it kind of way but since Kagain suddenly got talkative I figured we'd give the annoying runt another shot.

Don't you wanna strangle him?

Let's give Faldorn a shot as well.

We head for the Beregost temple next, or rather the little vestibule next to it.

I just realised I've never had either Faldorn or Quayle in my party for any length of time aside from my first playthroughs as a child. I don't think I've missed much.

We're thrown into a fight with a demon knight and some skeletons. After our northern excursion they're pushovers.

Interesting.

Ruins to the east? That reminds me...

We briefly visited this cave east of the temple the first time we passed by this area. I figured we'd leave it for later.

Good thing we did as well, we have to face quite some fearsome foes!

The only noteworthy thing in this area is this poor, cursed soul. Getting a vampiric sword for him is quite an involved process, even moreso due to certain mods we have installed. Let's get cracking!

Before we leave this place we're treated to a Faldorn banter, with Sandrah no less. It's as much of a trainwreck as I imagined it would be. Horrible writing, out of place considering where we are right now, jabs at Sandrah, the works... :allears:

Outside of the cave someone teleports in...

Jesus, NOW you show up? We dealt with Kahrk ages ago! He brings some more ogre mages as backup to no avail.

Great, as if we needed more people after us...

Ogre mages keep showing up so let's deal with this as quickly as possible.

Gullykin is populated with Ogres now.

The culprit is hiding out nearby, as it turns out it's just the guy we're looking for!

I really wonder what the point of all these 'whatever' encounters is.

At least Faldorn has something decent to wear now. Speaking of which...

I don't think Faldorn has Sandrah content outside of that one banter and Quayle has barely said a word to anyone. We leave them at Gullykin to rot, we'll see them again in Baldur's Gate II.

Edwin and Branwen will be their replacements.

Our first stop is Haeball's tower in Larswood which we visited briefly before.

He's considerably less friendly than the first time we met. Oh well. *twack*

Sweet.

On a nearby desk we find a dagger which'll come in handy later on.

The basement leads to a grisly find...

The original inhabitant of the tower, I'll assume.

A pretty big fight with some goblins awaits us to the east.

Is this mod content? I have no idea. Might as well search around.

Neat!

Branwen reads to me before we go to bed. :swoon:

Anyway, time to go further east to deal with Kelddath's issue.

I forgot about the amount of mages in this encounter, the Fire Drakes that appeared halfway through didn't help either. Time to reload.

This time they recognize Edwin and leave us alone. Strange.

It makes the resulting fight that much easier.

Ah, the duality of Sandrah Saga. Jen'lig really needs to butt in more often.

Another downside of having a revolving door of NPCs, Edwin wasn't with us to have any sort of confrontation with the Morning Lords. I'm glad it triggered anyway.

Kelddath is grateful. Time to visit Bram. (NOT Bran, I don't know why they keep getting it wrong)

Uh-oh, this leads us to a fight. :negative:

Time to reload and kick Edwin out for a bit.

There, much better. We might get to the specifics of his offer later, no promises though. We've enough gear as it is.

We exchange Branwen for Shar-Teel because why not?

Time to deal with a quest I've been putting off for way too long.

I always tend to forget about this quest.

Bastard. Get out of my face.

Time for some tomb raiding! :black101:

This place used to freak me out.

Charleston's second quest is a mod addition which we might get to in the future.

Hey, if Sandrah says it's okay...

Yoink.

You have no idea who you're dealing with, do you? :smuggo:

Think this exchange is sudden? Imagine how I feel, it triggered right as I entered a new area. No forewarning whatsoever.

I actually have to give Roxanne some credit here. (ugh :barf:) This is an actual lore thing.

Anyway, Talos teleports away and we get teleported back soon afterwards.

Another Northern Tales area. Definitely one of my favourite mod areas so far, it looks beautiful. :allears:

Orcs to the west? Sounds like a good lead.

Along the way we run into someone who needs our help, we take care of the gnolls and heal him.

How nice of him, we'll be sure to take him up on that offer once we're done here.

We run into the Orcs, they seemed to be interested in this tomb that we can't enter right now.

It's connected with Ghotal, of course. There's nothing we can do here for the moment, time to pay Keelor a visit.

Once we arrive Sandrah finally notices the dagger.

Keelor wasn't hard to find, we follow him to his house...

...Where he proves to be surprisingly informative. How many more Godchildren will feature in this LP?

Next time we'll head into the Temple of the Black Hand, the answers to our questions are sure to be found there! :black101:

Vichan fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 7, 2021

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Wizards of the Coast. TSR was dead and buried at that point.

Cythereal posted:

Let's start with "Literally everything about the Wall of the Faithless in Mask is wrong", add "There are explicit counter-arguments against Kaelyn's objections, which she would know as a follower of Kelemvor" and move on from there.

I don't remember a lot of specifics anymore (so I can't really talk about Kaelyn) but I recall it being largely consistent with the rather brief mention it had in 3E texts.

quote:

Of more concern to most adventurers, a character who dies with-out a patron deity cannot be raised from the dead by any mortal means short of a miracle or wish. When such a character dies, he is considered one of the Faithless, and his soul is used to form part of the wall around the realm of Kelemvor, god of the dead.

Then again...later on in the book there's different definition.

quote:

The Faithless firmly denied any faith or only gave lip service to the gods for most of their lives without truly believing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hypocrisy posted:

I don't remember a lot of specifics anymore (so I can't really talk about Kaelyn) but I recall it being largely consistent with the rather brief mention it had in 3E texts.

The religion book talked about it in more detail. Basically, the sorting process for the dead in the Realms went like this:

Fervent follower of one god in particular -> that god's domain

|

Paid the gods at least lip service, wasn't close to any of them -> domain of the god who most closely matches your ethos and beliefs in life

|

Worshiped something other than the gods -> domain of the god who most closely matches that belief system

|

Completely ignorant of the gods -> domain of the god who most closely matches your ethos and beliefs in life

|

Explicitly rejects all higher powers -> gods go "Are you SURE?" and explain the Wall -> if you still refuse, Ilmater and other good gods offer you a chance to come with them anyway if you just say you accept them -> if you STILL refuse, you go to the Wall

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

That's a mighty abusive relationship, geez.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
It's been a long time since I played MotB, but the bit about the Wall didn't bother me. It's a colossal injustice, one that even gods cannot overturn, which to me just says that there are some problems that cannot be solved with a +1000000 greatsword or a 100 Wisdom score or a caster level of a billion. It's risky to ask a player to contemplate their limits in a game that is to an extent a power fantasy (using the epic ruleset, no less!) but IMO ultimately yields a more interesting story.

quote:

Also, the Wall of the Faithless as it existed in 2E and 3E Forgotten Realms is nothing like how it's presented in Mask beyond the vaguest concept.

In brief: in the actual lore of the tabletop setting, the Wall is for people who reject the gods. Not for the ignorant, not for those who worshiped something other than a god, only those who specifically and consciously refuse to accept the rule of a god, even in the Fugue Plane after the gods have specifically explained what's going to happen. You don't even have to worship a god, just acknowledge that they're in charge.

No one ends up in the Wall who didn't literally ask for it with full knowledge of what it entails.

I didn't know this. It's possible my opinion might have been different if I had. Reading it now, it seems less unjust and tragic, but loses some of its dramatic gravity in the process. At least for the story that MotB was trying to tell.

(brb gonna make a Sandrah mod for NWN2)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Fun fact: when Kelemvor ascended to godhood, he actually destroyed the Wall! He felt that it was unnecessary and cruel!

Then Ao, the Overgod and head honcho of the entire setting, slapped Kelemvor and threatened to kick him out if he didn't fulfill his duty as the overseer of death for humanity in the Realms. No, Mask was not true to the lore when it said that Myrkul invented the Wall. The Wall in the Realms has been a part of existence since mortals and death first came into existence.

Why does it have to exist? Ao never explained it. But Jergal, the first known human god of death, maintained it. His successor Myrkul maintained it. His successor Cyric maintained it. His successor Kelemvor tried to do away with it, until Ao forced him to reinstate it. All the gods of death - Sehanine Moonbow, Urogalan, Segojan Earthcaller, and Dumathoin to name the elven, halfling, gnome, and dwarven gods of death - maintain it.

That was also the point where Kelemvor abandoned his human last name, shifted his divine alignment from Lawful Good to Lawful Neutral, and adopted the appearance you see in Mask of an impersonal figure wearing a silver mask.

You don't have to even worship the gods. You just have to accept that they exist, and that when you are dead your soul goes with one of them if it goes anywhere at all. Maybe it's just my personal beliefs talking, but I can't imagine the arrogance it would take to end up in the Wall, with how it works in the tabletop lore.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 23, 2021

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Cythereal posted:

You don't have to even worship the gods. You just have to accept that they exist, and that when you are dead your soul goes with one of them if it goes anywhere at all. Maybe it's just my personal beliefs talking, but I can't imagine the arrogance it would take to end up in the Wall, with how it works in the tabletop lore.

Right, that's the Pratchett gambit in action, it's tough being an atheist when you live in a cosmos where gods get upset at atheists and show up to throw bricks into your windows at night. That doesn't make the brick-throwing, or the wall, in any way justified, it just means the gods are utter dicks.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rappaport posted:

Right, that's the Pratchett gambit in action, it's tough being an atheist when you live in a cosmos where gods get upset at atheists and show up to throw bricks into your windows at night. That doesn't make the brick-throwing, or the wall, in any way justified, it just means the gods are utter dicks.

I think atheism in the modern sense is simply not possible in a fantasy setting where the gods are real, souls are verified facts, and it's objective truth that souls have to go somewhere when you die, but you do you.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Someone explain the wall?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

tithin posted:

As it exists in the Realms tabletop lore: the Wall of the Faithless is where souls go after death if they reject the gods. Souls are taken to the Fugue Plane for their race's relevant deity (Kelemvor for humans at present times) to be weighed, measured, and sent on their way. Every deity has their own realm in the planes for souls to go, and you don't even have to believe in the gods (say you worshiped nature spirits or some such), you just have to agree with the god or emissary to go with them to their realm. Unless you had a special fervor for one particular god, one of the duties of the gods of death is to match your soul with the god who most closely matches your outlook in life and what you held as important.

However, you do have the choice to reject the gods and refuse to go with any of them - and this is after your god of death warns you what happens to souls who refuse to go to an afterlife. If you do, your soul is added to the substance of the wall surrounding the City of Judgment, to wither away for all eternity.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Cythereal posted:

I think atheism in the modern sense is simply not possible in a fantasy setting where the gods are real, souls are verified facts, and it's objective truth that souls have to go somewhere when you die, but you do you.

Right, and that's the point, isn't it? It'd be really dumb for someone existing in a cosmos with tangible, real-world gods to deny their existence, so atheism is off the table. But at the same time, those self-same gods, as you explained earlier, had Ao force someone to keep the Wall existing, because gently caress you that's why, essentially. Pratchett explained this in his verse by the gods needing faith to exist, which essentially makes them parasites, like the goa'uld but less visceral. Realms-logic probably has a different take on this, but the end result seems to be much the same.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rappaport posted:

Right, and that's the point, isn't it? It'd be really dumb for someone existing in a cosmos with tangible, real-world gods to deny their existence, so atheism is off the table. But at the same time, those self-same gods, as you explained earlier, had Ao force someone to keep the Wall existing, because gently caress you that's why, essentially. Pratchett explained this in his verse by the gods needing faith to exist, which essentially makes them parasites, like the goa'uld but less visceral. Realms-logic probably has a different take on this, but the end result seems to be much the same.

In the Realms, the gods didn't use to depend on faith to exist. Ao instated that rule after the Time of Troubles as a measure to try to make the gods accountable to their followers. :v:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Cythereal posted:

In the Realms, the gods didn't use to depend on faith to exist. Ao instated that rule after the Time of Troubles as a measure to try to make the gods accountable to their followers. :v:

Which adds another incentive to penalize behaviour that doesn't benefit gods, it's like a sick self-reinforcing wheel of misery. As Sandrah fucks everyone she meets, so do the gods?

Ramc
May 4, 2008

At least whoever wrote that Branwen banter gets that Drizzt doesnt gently caress.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Ramc posted:

Drizzt doesnt gently caress.

Roxanne: INCONCEIVABLE

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I mean...Drizzt has a kid.

Cythereal posted:

Fun fact: when Kelemvor ascended to godhood, he actually destroyed the Wall! He felt that it was unnecessary and cruel!

Then Ao, the Overgod and head honcho of the entire setting, slapped Kelemvor and threatened to kick him out if he didn't fulfill his duty as the overseer of death for humanity in the Realms. No, Mask was not true to the lore when it said that Myrkul invented the Wall. The Wall in the Realms has been a part of existence since mortals and death first came into existence.

Why does it have to exist? Ao never explained it. But Jergal, the first known human god of death, maintained it. His successor Myrkul maintained it. His successor Cyric maintained it. His successor Kelemvor tried to do away with it, until Ao forced him to reinstate it. All the gods of death - Sehanine Moonbow, Urogalan, Segojan Earthcaller, and Dumathoin to name the elven, halfling, gnome, and dwarven gods of death - maintain it.

That was also the point where Kelemvor abandoned his human last name, shifted his divine alignment from Lawful Good to Lawful Neutral, and adopted the appearance you see in Mask of an impersonal figure wearing a silver mask.

Huh. I've never seen that before (though I don't think I've seen anything about the Wall's origins before NWN2 so maybe that just became the dominant way of seeing the Wall). Well, I suppose it's a moot point as the Wall's brief resurrection in 5E got errata'd away. So from a certain point of view, Mask of the Betrayer turning the Wall of the Faithless into a meme did destroy it.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Ramc posted:

when dude looks like

Bad portrait for literally the most flamboyant drow in existence, but also really weird characterization. Like, dude is a schemer and plotter and all that good poo poo but he's also one of the few drow who's arguably nice and Drizzt's friend. You could make up any drow you want to be the one who "led drizzt into a trap" but to make it the singular drow who outright wouldn't unless you paid him an ungodly sum and certainly wouldn't put himself in danger for this poo poo?

gently caress this is pissing me off, Jarlaxle is cool as hell

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 23, 2021

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Hypocrisy posted:

I mean...Drizzt has a kid.

I read through like up to before the Gauntylgrim arc stuff and iirc the only person he has a relationship with like that is Cattie Brie in that book time span. I totally allow I have no idea what is going on past that point ofc.

Brainamp posted:

Bad portrait for literally the most flamboyant drow in existence, but also really weird characterization. Like, dude is a schemer and plotter and all that good poo poo but he's also one of the few drow who's arguably nice and Drizzt's friend.

Right???

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Brainamp posted:

Bad portrait for literally the most flamboyant drow in existence, but also really weird characterization. Like, dude is a schemer and plotter and all that good poo poo but he's also one of the few drow who's arguably nice and Drizzt's friend. You could make up any drow you want to be the one who "led drizzt into a trap" but to make it the singular drow who outright wouldn't unless you paid him an ungodly sum and certainly wouldn't put himself in danger for this poo poo?

gently caress this is pissing me off, Jarlaxle is cool as hell

He's my favorite character from that group of stories just through sheer force of being "so incredibly ridiculous that he wraps around into amazing." Dude's got shoes that can clack loudly or be silent as he likes. How much extra did it cost for that functionality? How much harder was it to obtain than "quiet shoes that will help a sneaky profession"? And for what? The ability to be EXTRA AS HELL, that's what.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So, on religion but related to the subject of this mod, let's talk a bit about the goddess Sandrah supposedly serves: Mystra. NG goddess of magic.

Mystra is the third human goddess of magic to ever exist in the Realms. Mystryl was the third goddess to ever exist in the Realms, born of the primordial battle between Selune and Shar at the beginning of time. Mystryl was Chaotic Neutral in alignment, a wild and uncontrollable force of primal power. Mystryl died thousands of years ago at the end of the age of Netheril, one of the Realms' most significant Ancient Advanced Precursor Civilizations. Blame an archmage named Krasus and his dreams of godhood.

Mystryl was succeeded by Mystra, a Lawful Neutral goddess. Where Mystryl was an untamable goddess of creation and energy, Mystra was a wise and level-headed divine scholar and keeper of knowledge, closely allied with Oghma (god of knowledge) among others, and wife to Azuth, a Lawful Neutral god of spellcraft, wizardry, and magical study. Mystra was known for her impartial view of magic and its use, she frowned on recklessness and favored foresight rather than moral questions of good and evil. Good and evil mages alike worshiped her, and she was revered by all as a responsible custodian of the primeval forces she represented.

Ten years ago, in-setting, Mystra died during the Time of Troubles when she tried to cheat the terms of Ao's wrath. She was killed by Helm, god of order and obedience, and as with Mystryl her death tore apart the Weave, the raw fabric of magic. Only at the end of the Time of Troubles did the human archmage Midnight ascend to replace Mystra, but she did so too late to save the Weave. This is what created the zones of dead and wild magic that contaminate the Realms and made wild magic possible.

Midnight took the name Mystra in an attempt to smooth over the transition of power, but Midnight is very different from either of her predecessors. Mystryl and Mystra were fundamentally amoral and held magic to be a neutral force unconcerned with good or evil. Midnight explicitly holds a moral position, that magic should be used only for good, and she condemns anyone who would use magic for evil ends.

At this point in time, in the setting of the Realms, for most people the jury on Midnight is still out. Good-aligned people are generally happy to see the new goddess of magic take a stand, but Midnight has also badly alienated much of her priesthood by the same measure and many of Mystra's divine allies have not affirmed their alliance with Midnight - particularly Mystra's husband the god Azuth, who sees himself as Midnight's divine tutor. Azuth's faith has grown since the Time of Troubles with defectors from Midnight's church, many of whom see Azuth as the legitimate heir to Mystra's ethos and approach to magic. So too has Shar's faith and her attempts to create a Shadow Weave, as some mages feel betrayed by Midnight's new do-gooder stance.

Sandrah, as a young cleric of Midnight!Mystra is theoretically in a really interesting position at this point in time. She would, if this mod gave a rat's rear end, be one of the first generation of clerics to come to the faith under Midnight's reign as goddess of magic at a time when Midnight is very new to her position and still finding her footing as a goddess. The church is in massive flux, wild and dead magic are problems across the Realms (Midnight is helped in this regard by the god Torm, who has sworn himself and his church to mending the scars of the Time of Troubles), and Midnight is a very new goddess trying to fill the shoes of an old and powerful goddess whom she is a very different individual from.

Just from Sandrah's class alone there's a goldmine of potential for a character.

What a waste.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 23, 2021

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

tithin posted:

If you didn't worship an active god in Faerûn, you were probably cosmically screwed in the afterlife. The False were those who deliberately betrayed their faith, while the Faithless either denied faith or "only gave lip service to the gods for most of their lives without truly believing". (It owes a lot to the Protestant doctrine of sola fide.) And at the ends of their lives, both groups went to the Fugue Plane. If you'd paid active worship to a deity - yes that mattered, you couldn't just get by on appropriate ethos - your soul would be collected by agents of your chosen god and you'd go on to your destined afterlife. If you were instead False, you'd be sentenced to eternal service in the City of Judgment. Some sentences were lighter than others, but regardless they were eternal unless Kelemvor theoretically gave his reprieve. And if you were Faithless, you got shoved into the Wall of the Faithless which kept you imprisoned until you were broken down and "the soul and its consciousness are dissolved".

This is, to say the least, *monstrous*. You only have the one out of active belief in specific active gods, and neither lip service neither ethos will cut it. If you worship a god who's dead or even just inactive, you're still considered Faithless. If you've had magical excommunication cast on you (yes this is a thing), you're considered Faithless. Basically, if you're not feeding into a divine protection racket, you're probably screwed.

All that? It came out of sources predating Mask of the Betrayer. What MotB specifically did was to declare that the Wall was not this eternal cosmological thing but specifically created by Myrkul. And now that it's in publication that is canon to Realmslore. If Ed Greenwood et al. had established a different editorial standard back in the 80s they could very well have, where if it's not in a certain class of books then It Doesn't Have to be True Because It's Your FR or whatever. But they set down what they did pretty early on, and like it or not that's Realmslore.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cythereal posted:

Mystryl and Midnight were fundamentally amoral and held magic to be a neutral force unconcerned with good or evil. Midnight explicitly holds a moral position, that magic should be used only for good, and she condemns anyone who would use magic for evil ends.

Think you Midnighted a Mystra in here.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

All Sandrah-related utter idiocy aside, i do love that the broody edgelord has a sword called Twinkle. loving Twinkle. And everyone just accepts that.

Twinkle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I'm pretty sure the name twinkle for that blade is canon

I vaguely remember him having it in bg2