Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Is anyone using two of the minis in a bedroom hooked up to an ATV? I’m curious how the experience is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

priznat posted:

I just recall reading an article that if you use less than 20W the light turns an angry orange :ohdear:

https://www.macworld.com/article/3599808/homepod-mini-review.html
After I posted all that last night, apparently 18W is ok now (presumably 9V/2A) :v:

https://9to5mac.com/2020/12/28/homepod-mini-18w-charger/

snickles
Mar 27, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Is anyone using two of the minis in a bedroom hooked up to an ATV? I’m curious how the experience is.

Amazing, I came here to ask the same question. I bought a pair of minis thinking that they could be used as a little bedroom home theater. Never had a full sized HomePod, so I’ve got nothing really to compare it to.

With that said, they sound great, far better than the TV speakers. Dialog is better, lows and highs are better, everything sounds “crisp”. My biggest issue is that they can’t be permanently paired to the ATV, you have to airplay to them every time. I understand this is possible with the regular HomePod, so maybe it will be added in time. It is a minor, but fairly annoying issue - for example, my wife will never use them because she’d have to learn something new (not knocking my wife - she just doesn’t care about this sort of thing). It’s also odd that you have such limited voice control of the ATV via HomePod.

Also occasionally they’ll announce someone ringing the doorbell at ridiculously high volume. I can’t wait for this to happen in the middle of the night.

So, not sure if I’m going to keep them as is or use them for something else.

snickles fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 29, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

snickles posted:

My biggest issue is that they can’t be permanently paired to the ATV, you have to airplay your them every time. I understand this is possible with the regular HomePod, so maybe it will be added in time. It is a minor, but fairly annoying issue - for example, my wife will never use them because she’d have to learn something new (not knocking my wife - she just doesn’t care about this sort of thing). It’s also odd that you have such limited voice control of the ATV via HomePod.

Well that’s a big fat no sale for me right now then.

I’ve said before I’d like to replace my sound bar with a pair of these on the night stands but I guess it’s not really gonna work for that. It is weird that it doesn’t work like the Regular HomePod does though.

Thanks for the write up! I’m gonna keep and eye out if they fix that issue.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Ah I think I heard about that, hopefully be fixed in some update.

Main reason I wouldn’t is that they’d only work for Apple TV output, like if you have a game console you’d still be using your TV speakers for that.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

If I go to my Airplay settings, my HomePod Mini constantly says that it has a track on pause. Apparently one of my cats just startled herself too, as she sniffed the top, which the HomePod took as a touch command, and started playing that song again.

How do I get it to clear that song from being "paused"? Streaming music from my phone to it doesn't do it.

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

From out of the basement,
a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.
Finally got around to picking up a mini last night, after owning and loving a couple of full-sized HomePods for years.

I got the mini for the bathroom and based on how it sounded I was either going to get 1-2 minis for the bedroom or 1 full-sized (as long as I can get it for around $220 or less).

I'm happy with the mini in the bathroom. I'll mostly use it for listening to podcasts in the shower and at a louder volume in a smaller enclosed space like a bathroom, some male voices got a little garbly but not too bad. The size is great and the sound is impressive given the size but it doesn't even come close to the full-sized so I'll get a large one for the bedroom since space isn't a constraint and it just sounds that much better.

It'll be nice to have the bathroom on the same audio at a low level when (in some distant future) we have friends over again.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

crackhaed posted:

It'll be nice to have the bathroom on the same audio at a low level when (in some distant future) we have friends over again.
For whatever reason I’m just imagining you using this to gently caress with people in the bathroom using intercom, or someone expecting some quiet in the bathroom and just running into more music there (followed up by an intercom message).

Actually couldn’t the bathroom person pause or change music for everyone? Goes for anyone near any HomePod of course, but the one person alone in the bathroom doing it unexpectedly seems particularly amusing.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Does anyone know how to disable Siri on homepod talking when not asking a question? I say “hey siri, good night” to run the automation where it dims the lights and plays some sleep music and she always goes “I’M ON IT!” Or some other dumb statement, way too loud.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

priznat posted:

Does anyone know how to disable Siri on homepod talking when not asking a question? I say “hey siri, good night” to run the automation where it dims the lights and plays some sleep music and she always goes “I’M ON IT!” Or some other dumb statement, way too loud.

https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/homepod/apde6dc8093d/homepod

turn off Sound When Using Siri.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah I have that set, it doesn't chime but she still yells confirmation of anything, lol.. Maybe if I set an automation to change the volume to something low after a certain time that might do it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So does the Home app not allow sleep timers on the HomePod at all? I can sorta set a shortcut to have the HomePod play a radio station at night and then shut off to hours later, but it doesn't always seem to work.

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

japtor posted:

For whatever reason I’m just imagining you using this to gently caress with people in the bathroom using intercom, or someone expecting some quiet in the bathroom and just running into more music there (followed up by an intercom message).

Actually couldn’t the bathroom person pause or change music for everyone? Goes for anyone near any HomePod of course, but the one person alone in the bathroom doing it unexpectedly seems particularly amusing.

Hey Siri, play novelty sound effect album fart noises.

Yeah someone could do that and I wouldn't put it past our friends who have basically already done that without having to resort to discreet bathroom voice controls.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Not the biggest deal but it’s windy where I am today so I asked the HomePod “Siri, what is the wind like today?”

Siri: “We should get some wind today.”

Like no poo poo if you’re on earth there will be some wind yes.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I asked Siri if it was going to be cold today and she said “it won’t be that cold today, 38 degrees” lol

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Siri is really really bad compared to Google (never used Alexa) but at least Apple pretends to care about my data security.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

jokes posted:

I asked Siri if it was going to be cold today and she said “it won’t be that cold today, 38 degrees” lol

I use Carrot and it's constantly telling me that 30 degrees is warm. Like I'm in Minnesota, so it's not THAT cold, but that's coat weather, c'mon.

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.
The new handoff update with the mini is pretty slick.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

crackhaed posted:

The new handoff update with the mini is pretty slick.

What’s it do? Does it finally just auto go to the mini from the ATV?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The new haptic feedback on the 12 is great. And the mini LEDs get brighter the closer you get too.

And also kinda funny. I’ll be walking by our kitchen mini and my phone will start vibrating.

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

MarcusSA posted:

What’s it do? Does it finally just auto go to the mini from the ATV?

I don't link mine to our ATVs so can't comment on that but...

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The new haptic feedback on the 12 is great. And the mini LEDs get brighter the closer you get too.

And also kinda funny. I’ll be walking by our kitchen mini and my phone will start vibrating.

This is what I was referring to. The phone starts to buzz if it gets within a couple feet and vibrates harder until it hands off. The lights on the pod make it look like its getting excited too heh.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

After working at my desk a couple days, the vibrating thing can get a bit annoying when it tries to grab the audio when you don't want it to, especially since it also blurs the phone screen as well.

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

After working at my desk a couple days, the vibrating thing can get a bit annoying when it tries to grab the audio when you don't want it to, especially since it also blurs the phone screen as well.

I could see this being super annoying if you have them placed closed to where you sit or walk. All of ours are a couple feet out of the way but like you said, walking by the kitchen and buzzing the tower seems a bit annoying after the novelty wears off. I wonder if they will add a sensitivity adjuster?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeahhh it’s a bit annoying in my case. I have one on a bedside stand with my phone charger nearby and auto switches in regular use. And auto switches back after a lock and unlock. I’d probably be better with it a quick phone-speaker tap, which I guess would be like before, but quicker/better since it was kinda hold and search for the sweet spot before.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Just picked up a HomePod Mini and it's pretty cool.. setup was a breeze as all I did was bring my iPhone near it and the Home app did everything for me, including setting up the WiFi by copying the iPhone settings.

The only thing that's a little disconcerting is the USB-C 'tail' that's hardwired into the speaker.. I guess if the cable ever gets damaged I have to go swap out the entire unit?

Even though I'm only on Mojave I'm able to route web audio to the Mini, sounds great..

Guess I'm gonna be saying Hey Siri a lot...

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Don’t worry, a cord replacement is probably only $79.99!

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Still bummed you can't set the default audio out from an ATV to a HomePod Mini.

I get that it can't do all the cool fake surround sound and all, so it isn't going to sound as nice as the $300 HomePod as a "home theater" speaker. But can you just save me the trouble of manually selecting the AirPlay option every time? That's all I'm asking for.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I really wish there was a way to permanently set siri’s voice lower or silence it altogether but I haven’t found a way. You can say “hey siri set your volume to 20%” but it doesn’t stick for very long.

It’s annoying at night when you want to trigger the “good night” automation and she bellows out “ON IT!”, fucks sake siri read the room!!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

priznat posted:

I really wish there was a way to permanently set siri’s voice lower or silence it altogether but I haven’t found a way. You can say “hey siri set your volume to 20%” but it doesn’t stick for very long.

It’s annoying at night when you want to trigger the “good night” automation and she bellows out “ON IT!”, fucks sake siri read the room!!
Yeah the functionality appears to be there...it just doesn’t work beyond the initial confirmation.

"Hey Siri set your speaking volume to 20%"
"I’ll speak more softly"
"Hey Siri what’s your speaking volume"
"I’m at 48%!"

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

japtor posted:

Yeah the functionality appears to be there...it just doesn’t work beyond the initial confirmation.

"Hey Siri set your speaking volume to 20%"
"I’ll speak more softly"
"Hey Siri what’s your speaking volume"
"I’m at 48%!"

Yep, based on this and a few other obvious cases of poor design with automations, I feel like they need to hire more software QA testers.

There are entire iPhone features that have been broken since inception too.

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.

wooger posted:

Yep, based on this and a few other obvious cases of poor design with automations, I feel like they need to hire more software QA testers.

There are entire iPhone features that have been broken since inception too.

Home.app/HomeKit definitely needs attention. Everything is there, it's the only big home automation platform that won't hand your data directly to the cops, and it mostly works, but there's absolutely none of the polish you'd expect from Apple and it feels like they haven't tried using their software because basic stuff is clunky as hell and blatantly phoned in. The inability to have a light exist as both an individual entity and part of a group in HomeKit is infuriating, and the macOS app is just painful to use too.

Plus, I was looking at home security cams and found out that if you to use more than 5 cameras with HomeKit Secure Video, you need to go create a second iCloud account and link your cameras to that instead of your primary. :downs:

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Sigh.

HomeKit wise for me it’s the inability to just say “turn off all the lights in 10 minutes” and have it work., and the lack of any kind of fade in and out functionality (sunrise wakeup, which is table stakes) that kills it and forces me to keep using Hue for some stuff.

And the UK specific problem of no BBC radio stations on Homepod: I guess partially due to a licensing change, and partly because they only opened up the ability for 3rd party apps recently snd there are none.

Nevertheless, it works on every other home assistant by default, so it’s apples fault.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I think (hope) that they will get there because homekit does seem to be improving with every point release, just it seems like it’s taking for god drat ever :haw:

Still I don’t even entertain the thought of moving to to google/nest or amazon so however it goes, I suppose.

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

priznat posted:

I think (hope) that they will get there because homekit does seem to be improving with every point release, just it seems like it’s taking for god drat ever :haw:

Still I don’t even entertain the thought of moving to to google/nest or amazon so however it goes, I suppose.

Yeah I won't switch simply because of privacy/listening issues. I feel like it would be a very Apple move to just suddenly launch a huge revamp of Homekit to go after Google/Amazon before they would really invest resources in quietly implementing the seemingly small and easy to fix issues.

When they are doing really poorly at something they tend to try to ignore it for as long as possible and then all of a sudden go "while the old version of what we did was great, we knew we could REVOLUTIONIZE [this thing] so now Apple is launching the BEST EVER version of [this thing]."

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

crackhaed posted:

When they are doing really poorly at something they tend to try to ignore it for as long as possible and then all of a sudden go "while the old version of what we did was great, we knew we could REVOLUTIONIZE [this thing] so now Apple is launching the BEST EVER version of [this thing]."

Hmm, I feel like this isn’t the case for things with a big network effect, or where they’re reliant on third party integration to make things work.

They can announce all sorts of whiz bang features, APIs etc. And then it’ll take years for other products to support it, so it may as well not have happened.

They can clear up these bugs / feature oversights, but there are so many services they don’t work with, and so much hardware that isn’t HomeKit enabled.

We still don’t have any 3rd party HomePod music integration do we?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

wooger posted:

Hmm, I feel like this isn’t the case for things with a big network effect, or where they’re reliant on third party integration to make things work.

They can announce all sorts of whiz bang features, APIs etc. And then it’ll take years for other products to support it, so it may as well not have happened.

They can clear up these bugs / feature oversights, but there are so many services they don’t work with, and so much hardware that isn’t HomeKit enabled.

We still don’t have any 3rd party HomePod music integration do we?
From a quick search it looks like Pandora got it working at least so far, looks like this is how it all works:

https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/tech-talks/10854/

My biggest issue is just like, it’s easy to make a tangled web of automations like what I feel like I have, and it’s all for pretty simple stuff iirc. And some rely on Homebridge dummy switches which is just another thing to keep track of. Granted all that said, it’s been working ok enough with everything set up. Kind of a dissonance between the Home app itself and the actual functionality I guess. Luckily my poo poo has worked, but it’s annoying setting it up or needing to change anything.

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.

japtor posted:

My biggest issue is just like, it’s easy to make a tangled web of automations like what I feel like I have, and it’s all for pretty simple stuff iirc. And some rely on Homebridge dummy switches which is just another thing to keep track of. Granted all that said, it’s been working ok enough with everything set up. Kind of a dissonance between the Home app itself and the actual functionality I guess. Luckily my poo poo has worked, but it’s annoying setting it up or needing to change anything.

It's annoying but understandable to have to use Homebridge for devices that don't support HomeKit at all (Nest and such), but what I find really disappointing is that devices that support HomeKit and advertise the fact offer less functionality than the equivalent Homebridge plugin.

For instance, I bought a new LG TV which supports HomeKit, but the Home app will only let me power it on/off (on is hit and miss, I usually see 'device not responding') and change inputs. No control over volume, menus and so on. Meanwhile there's a Homebridge plugin that lets me control the menus and everything. If there's a certification process, surely someone should step in and work out how to make it useful, not just another box to tick on a feature list.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Last night I heard my Mini talking to no one in particular, at random in another room.

Somehow I don't think the cats can do human sounds well enough..

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

Last night I heard my Mini talking to no one in particular, at random in another room.

Somehow I don't think the cats can do human sounds well enough..

My cats have hit my mini a few times actually. Luckily it hasn’t been in the middle of the night yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

My cats have hit my mini a few times actually. Luckily it hasn’t been in the middle of the night yet.

This just happened to my wife in the bedroom at 5:30am thanks to a cat booping it. (I'm in the living room sleeping because we have a two month old baby, and it's my shift to watch, feed, and change her.)

I asked before, but how do I get an Airpod to "stop" playing a song, rather than keeping them on an indefinite pause that my cats can unpause with their paws?