Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Julias posted:

Oh there's nothing wrong with doing the hat trick for inspiration or an idea, but there's a famous quote that goes as follows:

"Good artists borrow, great artists steal."

What this means is that a great arist will build off of what came before them, take ideas and inspiration from other works, and retool and rework them for their own purposes. And it makes sense—in order to become a great artist, you copy techniques developed over the centuries by prior artists. To become a great writer, you read literature and learn about various writing styles, themes, story ideas, and archetypes. Musicians and singers will look towards other's works for inspiration in how to craft a cool sound or how to evoke certain emotions in response to the way the lyrics are sung.

Basically what I'm saying is that a story doesn't have to be whole cloth original-it can wear its influences on its sleeves, and you can synthesize multiple ideas together to come up with more unique ideas that look at things either from a different angle, or that are played entirely straight. It is often the minute differences that will set your story apart from its contemporaries in meaningful ways. Studying various media and practicing writing gives you a better grasp of which ideas are compelling, unique, meaningful, or otherwise evocative.

That's cool but the hat idea is better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty ok video game to play when the Sunset Riders arcade was taken.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it took five years but i finished wixoss s2 and watched the new scenes in the movie. good poo poo

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Julias posted:

Oh there's nothing wrong with doing the hat trick for inspiration or an idea, but there's a famous quote that goes as follows:

"Good artists borrow, great artists steal."

Great Artist Butch Hartman

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kwyndig posted:

I've always wondered why series end up getting scanlated by like, a bunch of different groups in sequence. Is it burnout? Drama? DMCA notices? Something I didn't think of?

Obviously it varies but in my experience yeah, it's mostly just interest for doing it petering out. It's a loooot of work.

The Colonel posted:

it took five years but i finished wixoss s2 and watched the new scenes in the movie. good poo poo

Some day I will finish wixoss.

I kinda liked it and meant to get back into it after reading some of the pop team epic guy's wixoss manga but just never have.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I'm gonna start every page of this chat thread

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

you didn't start page 1.....bitch

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Gundam pAGE

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Namtab posted:

you didn't start page 1.....bitch

I am the sock puppet account of Wark Say

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The Colonel posted:

Now make sure to not watch Lostorage at all

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Red Minjo posted:

That's the funniest part to me, the $200 end product looks like dogshit

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Dangerous Person posted:

I loving knew it

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Don't tell anybody

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dangerous Person posted:

sadlmfao.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Aikatsu is really cute. :)

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

sorry he doesn't know that "not posting" is a verb and not a noun

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Just realized I've had the Bunny Girl Senpai movie sitting unwatched on my hard drive for almost a year.

I should get on that.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Wark Say posted:

2021 has been going on for almost two months, we need a new chat thread. Here be chattings.

Topical

Is the anime adaption of golden kamuy pretty good? The manga sucked me in and I'm curious to see it animated.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Red Minjo posted:

Lol

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Shinjobi posted:

Topical

Is the anime adaption of golden kamuy pretty good? The manga sucked me in and I'm curious to see it animated.

It's decent, and most people who only watch the anime like it, but I definitely prefer the manga just because the art is so good.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Willo567 posted:

sorry he doesn't know that "not posting" is a verb and not a noun

:geno:

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

https://polsy.org.uk/ani/stats/whoposted1to24.html

now featuring equal ranks for people with the same number of posts and changes from last time

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Julias posted:

It's decent, and most people who only watch the anime like it, but I definitely prefer the manga just because the art is so good.

A chance shall be given!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

apparently it was only 14-15 that i significantly ignored these threads

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

namtab throwing rocks

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i will overtake colonel. someday

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Aurora posted:

namtab throwing rocks

and yet i live in a glass house

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
The only manga I've ever read was Hi Score Girl, and I still haven't even finished it yet. I absolutely loved it though, and would like to read more manga if I ever find the time to.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
manga>anime

fight me

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shinjobi posted:

Topical

It's a fun romp, regardless of the source. Julias is indeed right that the manga is more visually impressive, but the anime has a je ne sais quoi quality that helps it.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Willo567 posted:

manga>anime

fight me

ok before it was just japes but now im actually going to have to turn my full attention to you and tell you to watch the k-on anime and tell me with a straight face that it's better than the manga. You can't do it, you can't see yui in full motion and go back to static yui, you can't see a fully animated fuwa fuwa time and tell me that it's better than words on a page. Your thesis is shallow and easily rebutted. Fly away, troll.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Tell me that gohan finally achieving super saiyan 2 to either of the banging sound tracks wasn't a moment that changed your life.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Maybe one day, I will out post people who have been banned for years.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Just words, on the internet, and i refute them.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I think I've been around #25 on the charts since, like, chat thread #3

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Shinjobi posted:

Topical

the anime is good yeah, i watched through it last month and it's definitely a favorite. there's some perplexing cgi choices in the first few episodes that got it a bad rep, most notably the infamous bear, but the production values get better each season and it's a good adaptation otherwise.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Willo567 posted:

manga>anime

fight me

A lot of really good mecha anime is anime original so I will not agree with this.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The curse of that hot take restored most of my latent power. I am back.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
where's negatab when you need them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Negatab is dead, and im probably top of the next page

gently caress