Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Yeah they played really well.

Alberta, not so much. Poor loving guys, Moulding looked absolutely despondent :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razak
Apr 13, 2016

Ready for graphing
Ouch, this is what three years in a row for Bottcher? They just can't seem to get that final day done.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Yeah I'm pretty disappointed in that final. Bottcher loses one game all week and then has an off day at the championship game. I was at least hoping for a good game, but it wasn't even that.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Been a Bottcher fan for a while now and I feel so bad for them to lose the finals again. :smith:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

gret posted:

Been a Bottcher fan for a while now and I feel so bad for them to lose the finals again. :smith:

It must be brutal to come just short like this three years in a row, I really thought he was gonna do it this time.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

I feel really bad for Bottcher but that final was not great. Pretty wild Brier though. Jacobs starts off 1-3 and goes on an absolute roll until he meets Gushue. Four way tiebreaker after the championship pool. Russ and Cheryl thought there were more great shots than any other Brier and unlike most sports commentary I don't think they were being hyperbolic at all. World's are going to be pretty good!

Curling season is winding down here. Last bonspiel starts Thursday and it should be a good time!

I heard about a bonspiel in Seattle that goes around the clock. Like you could get a 4 AM draw. Sounds awesome, goon meet?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There is a show called “losers” on Netflix and one episode is on the brier.

Botcher is a shoe in for his own episode in season 2.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

World women's curling in Prince George has been cancelled/postponed due to covid19. I imagine men's won't be far behind.

Not surprising as there are teams from three of the worst hit countries (China, South Korea, Italy).

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Even my bonspiel just got cancelled due to Covid19! Nooooooo that means no more curling for the year. I get it though, apparently a third of teams had cancelled already.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

City of Ottawa Mens is still on (for now), but as my team was coming in from the DC area, we're dropping out. Was really looking forward to this for months.

EDIT: And now it's officially cancelled. I guess at least I'm not missing out, now.

CellBlock fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 13, 2020

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Hey curlers, there hasn't really been anything to talk about since everything got cancelled, but Curling Canada just released their Return to Play guidelines and it's kinda crazy. You can read about it here: https://www.curling.ca/blog/2020/07/06/return-to-play-guidelines/

Highlights are only one sweeper per rock, and that includes the skips/vices in the house so no sweeping the opposing team's rock behind the tee line. They are also mandating specific positions for the players to stand while the other team is throwing, which largely gets rid of the ability to talk strategy or discuss shot options. Now, there's no big deal with my rec league playing this way, but the crazy thing (to me) is that these are expected to be the new rules for competition play for the whole next season. Some type of curling will be better than no curling, but it'll be so weird to see the pros playing this way.

FrenzyTheKillbot fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 7, 2020

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
So is anyone else actually curling this year? Our season started yesterday, and its definitely weird. People got used to the new rules and positioning pretty quickly but you have to always be mindful of where you're standing and walking.

My club reduced the number of sheets to 5 instead of 6, so they could have space between them. And you can see the little markers along the side for where to stand.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

I'm curling this year too! Similar experience to you, the rules seemed pretty complicated at first but nobody had a problem following them after a few ends.

No extra space at our rink so they placed some circles on the edge of each sheet between the hoglines that you're supposed to stand on when not throwing or sweeping. One sweeper allowed and nobody at all allowed to sweep past the tee line. As a skip I'm getting real cold without those few seconds of sweeping! They've also got staggered start times and each sheet starts on the opposite end of the ice than their two adjacent sheets. Also no scoreboards and no measuring stones. And hand sanitizer all over the place.

It's going to be a weird year. It's definitely a more casual experience. I also cut myself down to one night a week to keep my exposure limited. Maybe not the smartest thing to be curling this year but frankly I need the social aspect and some physical exertion is helpful too.

Good luck and stay healthy!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Family back home is giving it up for the season because of general covid concerns. A lot of worry at the moment for the health of clubs going forward because curling was struggling to bring in money at a lot of the local clubs.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I would love to curl this year now that my shoulder is repaired. But I am foregoing it because of covid. I'm hoping to work from home for as long as possible because I have elevated risk due to asthma, so it's only appropriate that I not engage in my favourite winter sport for the same reason.

:smith:

Please keep us all up to date with how your experience changes through the season, I wish to live vicariously through you folks who are playing.

andy_social
Oct 29, 2008
We don't start for a couple of weeks. Nova Scotia has waived restrictions on sports for up to 50 people so we don't have to learn anything new yet. My group is a rental league so the biggest changes for us are going to be not having rink provided sliders for the new people and the bar being table service only.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
My season is still up in the air, as far as I know. We're on an outdoor rink but honestly, I don't know if it's even really worth playing if we all have to stand on opposite ends of the rink and can't broomstack.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The scotties are on. I really missed curling.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Powershift posted:

The scotties are on. I really missed curling.

Same here buddy.

This winter has been ok, but I really miss going to the rink.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
I was looking for a curling thread to resurrect, very excited for a full month of bubble action.

Cannot believe Quebec came back vs PEI

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Qwijib0 posted:

I was looking for a curling thread to resurrect, very excited for a full month of bubble action.

Cannot believe Quebec came back vs PEI

Yeah that was a hell of a last few stones there. I am so glad I can watch curling again.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

It is extremely weird to see Lisa Weagle curling with Jennifer Jones.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Last nights Ontario/Alberta game was pretty good.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

Last nights Ontario/Alberta game was pretty good.

that game came down to Alberta having two bad throws to Ontario's one.

but a fantastic game.

Saskatchewan/Manitoba shaping up to be good.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
this 10th end is a hell of a ride, the right side of the sheet apparently has a path carved, so almost everything is heavy, and they can't trust the split times.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Qwijib0 posted:

this 10th end is a hell of a ride, the right side of the sheet apparently has a path carved, so almost everything is heavy, and they can't trust the split times.

and just a hair heavy on an otherwise beautiful shot from Jones for the loss.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/Lowetide/status/1363995351762436106

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Alberta and Wildcard 3 ice also seems faster based on some of these opening throws, wonder if the building climate has changed.

I would have figured with nobody in there it would be as consistent as possible with all that volume and almost no body heat load.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Qwijib0 posted:

Alberta and Wildcard 3 ice also seems faster based on some of these opening throws, wonder if the building climate has changed.

I would have figured with nobody in there it would be as consistent as possible with all that volume and almost no body heat load.

The temperature and humidity outside is way up and it's supposed to rain tonight. I would imagine in the morning draws there's going to be a ton of frost.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Too bad for Alberta there, ice was doing some crazy things-- you can't plan for a stone that reverses spin.

Hopefully as the week goes on the ice gets more consistent (or they get better at reading it).

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Good to have curling back. I'm cheering for wild card 3 since I know the team. They were lucky to get the win against alberta and probably need to beat nwt and northern Ontario to get into the next round

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Facebook just reminded me that it's been 3 years to the day since the Garlic Girls beat Japan in the semi-finals on a fantastic draw and how wonderful the crowd reaction was. I can't find any of the video on YouTube but you can just skip to the end of the full match here: https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/video/detail/kor-v-jpn-semifinal-women-s-curling-pyeongchang-2018-replays/

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
It didn't quite work out but Quebec's go big or go home play style is fun to watch.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Qwijib0 posted:

It didn't quite work out but Quebec's go big or go home play style is fun to watch.

I think I'm actually rooting for Quebec now, apparently I just have to support whatever team has a wunderkind skip. Although the rest of the team isn't nearly as jarring as Bottcher's crew.

https://twitter.com/suss2hyphens/status/1364417020054433795?s=20

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 24, 2021

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Inspector_666 posted:

I think I'm actually rooting for Quebec now, apparently I just have to support whatever team has a wunderkind skip. Although the rest of the team isn't nearly as jarring as Bottcher's crew.

https://twitter.com/suss2hyphens/status/1364417020054433795?s=20

I have convinced my 3 year old that Quebec is skipped by Elsa.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Big game between wild card 3 and northwest territories right now. Winner gets 4 more games at least

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Duck Rodgers posted:

Big game between wild card 3 and northwest territories right now. Winner gets 4 more games at least

And Peterson(WC3) steals in the 10th and the extra end. wild.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
That double takeout shot that Zacharias made to sit five and win her game was something.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

That double takeout shot that Zacharias made to sit five and win her game was something.

her first year out of the juniors too. She's going to be in the game for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
That draw percent of 20% for PEI's Birt. Not what you're looking for, ideally