Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

lunar detritus posted:

I don't know if it's worth $30 to everyone but the extra "path" is really good, and you can recruit all the new characters in the main game. It also gives more uses to Renown if you're doing NG+. It was worth it for me but then I had already spent 200 hours in the main game.

Also it has Yuri who is basically an apology character for gay guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Dang I was really wanting to like Crosscode but I did not enjoy the dungeon puzzles. The combat was nice but maaaaaaaan...

Spellman
May 31, 2011

multijoe posted:

I can't agree with that. The gameplay, as you point out, is completely different but it is also an incredibly bloated and overwrought game where Chrono Trigger is pared back to the bone. That's not to say there's anything wrong with liking it, although I clearly didn't, but the experience of playing them couldn't be more different imo

There is a lot of writing, but you can skip a bunch of it. It's not mindblowing, but it's friendly. I remember the characters in ChronoTrigger being expressive, but never overdid it on the melancholy, so, I'm liking that

But ChronoTrigger is incredibly fn precise, and it made turn-based combat lively and immersive. If you were to rip out the turn-based element, and you were playing as Lucca, I could imagine it feeling something like this

I'm enjoying the grind. That's a major part of why I like SNES RPGs. And this game, with its sidequests and materials, makes it worth it to do almost anything

Wamdoodle posted:

Dang I was really wanting to like Crosscode but I did not enjoy the dungeon puzzles. The combat was nice but maaaaaaaan...

There's so many mechanics in this game that any one part could be a dealbreaker for someone. I'm charmed enough by the other elements of this game that I don't mind getting stuck every so often. But I can't believe I overlooked this game because it's just what I was looking for. The buzz around the DLC inspired me to get it

Spellman fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 22, 2021

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

I forgot how expensive the groove coster dlc is

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

fit em all up in there posted:

I forgot how expensive the groove coster dlc is

Yeah. :/

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I picked up SM3DW and man you really do zoom around in this game lol. I like the increased speed but I’m still getting used to it

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Spellman posted:

CrossCode is soooo good if you were looking for something in the spirit of ChronoTrigger. It actually feels like a 2100 A.D. sequel. Everything about it feels the same, the run speed, the way the monsters move. The way the camera frames the action. The font. The music. The style of writing is very friendly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuN-5yxwogU

The big differential is its battle system, which is completely live action, with some twinstick shooter elements. It takes some getting used to, but it's very fun, and you will have companions that fight with you

And it's got good puzzles that wouldn't be out of place in Zelda. They essentially took all the good elements out of action adventure RPGs, and made a pretend MMO (materials, sidequests, guilds). The trailer makes it look wild, but you start the game with pretty humble abilities. Comfy game

I am about 35 hours in and think I might beat it tonight. I remember seeing a bunch of comments like "The dungeons are soooo long!" before I picked it up. I was worried I would be slogging through dozens of similar dungeons with little to no reward. Fortunately I didn't find that at all. The dungeons are meaty, but there are only a handful of them. Dungeons are used to teach you the ins and outs of new elements, since each provides a whole new skill tree for you to pump points into.

Most enemies aren't aggressive, so you can usually run around and explore each area to your content. Which is good, because there are a LOT of hidden paths and ways to get around in search of chests and new areas.

I would agree that it's a pretty comfy game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I misread that as Groose Coaster DLC.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Wheeee posted:

gently caress this nvidia poo poo give me a switch 2 running on apple silicone

they did that, it's called an iPad and it runs like five good games, including Dead Cells without any of the DLC

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
when the direct came out i realized i never got around to finishing xenoblade 2

i have since been unable to stop playing it
xenoblade, good

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Correct me if I’m wrong but there’s pretty much no reason to wait for Smash DLC to go on sale right? Because I’m getting back into the game and would like to play with some them new boys.

You can sometimes find deals from other retailers that sell the codes. Like I think I bought the first DLC pack for 20% off at Best Buy

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
It's been a long time since I beat Xenoblade 2 but I'm also itching to go again. I gather NG+ is very much worth a go vs starting fresh as you carry over your blades and get new ones?

I also never beat Torna so might do that first

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Blaziken386 posted:

when the direct came out i realized i never got around to finishing xenoblade 2

i have since been unable to stop playing it
xenoblade, good

It whips. So does the expansion

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Sudden Javelin posted:

It's been a long time since I beat Xenoblade 2 but I'm also itching to go again. I gather NG+ is very much worth a go vs starting fresh as you carry over your blades and get new ones?

I also never beat Torna so might do that first
i believe you keep your old blades, but i haven't played myself
what I do know about NG+ is that the human characters' affinity charts get different, like Zeke getting a skill that lets him start off battles with +50% damage, which can lead to some ridiculous levels of damage

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Sudden Javelin posted:

don't switch the blades on the guy in shades

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ok Comboomer posted:

don't switch the blades on the guy in shades

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Ring-fit spoilers

Holy poo poo Dragaux just went Super Saiyan

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Has anyone tried out SNK vs Capcom?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
CrossCode needs way more combat and way fewer puzzles. I just wanted to die everytime I got to the next room and had to do another lovely execution puzzle. Love the concept of the game though, comfy is a perfect description.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
So I got Mario 3D World and... I'm just not really feeling it? Idk if it's because every time I died it's because I lost track of where I was going or what but I think I'm just going through it because I can, not because I want to. The control just feels weird. Maybe it'll click later but it feels like Mario is going everywhere and wall jumping into pits when I don't want him to. I'm not even running, that is way too fast

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

So I got Mario 3D World and... I'm just not really feeling it? Idk if it's because every time I died it's because I lost track of where I was going or what but I think I'm just going through it because I can, not because I want to. The control just feels weird. Maybe it'll click later but it feels like Mario is going everywhere and wall jumping into pits when I don't want him to. I'm not even running, that is way too fast

Play it with a friend. It's a completely different experience.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Traded botw for Bayonetta 2 today. Anything special I should know about this game, like side quests or hidden stuff?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mister Facetious posted:

Traded botw for Bayonetta 2 today. Anything special I should know about this game, like side quests or hidden stuff?

It's not really an exploration game but every level has secrets, just like Bayo 1 and every DMC game.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Mister Facetious posted:

Some encounters in the Bayonetta games are only found through seemingly arbitrarily backtracking at certain points in the stage, but those mostly just serve to gate a Pure Platinum stage rating and don't usually give upgrades. There are also hidden summon circle looking things that do have challenges to get upgrades, and some pieces of golden records that have weapon unlocks that need a bit of exploring. You can replay old missions basically any time to get something you missed.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Play it on the Wii U. It's better in its natural habitat.

It's still a great game, but it was better back then. The new one has 2 improvements. 1 - color stamps. 2 - you don't lose stars/stamps when you die. Makes it much easier finishing levels. Definitely balances out the wonky controls.

Been chilling my way through. Just got to world 8.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Heh, Nepnep sings the Dragon Quest "level up" song when she levels up in Crosswave.

It's also weird that buying the Deluxe edition doesn't actually give you the free HDN Neptune DLC, you have to go and download that separately. I was wondering why Nepnep wasn't in my dock and I couldn't find any way to unlock her. I guess it's because that DLC pack is only around for a month.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

Smirking_Serpent posted:

It's good just remember it's a gbc/gba era game

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Red Minjo posted:

Some encounters in the Bayonetta games are only found through seemingly arbitrarily backtracking at certain points in the stage, but those mostly just serve to gate a Pure Platinum stage rating and don't usually give upgrades. There are also hidden summon circle looking things that do have challenges to get upgrades, and some pieces of golden records that have weapon unlocks that need a bit of exploring. You can replay old missions basically any time to get something you missed.

But I won't be missing any story beats, right?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Nah Bayo is very linear. The hidden stuff is just for score/completion.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
Guys, I think I love Katamari.
I thought it was a dumb gimmicky game... I was Wrong and I don't even know why.

Also, I sort of enjoyed the goofy tryhard humour of Donut County, but my brain refused to see the characters other than little puppets doing a play.
The King of all cosmos is much more fun.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I didn't hate donut country for what I paid for it but there was no real puzzle element or challenge to it. Nice art style and cute story and at least enough gameplay to make me feel like i was playing some sort of game, but it was no katamari. I still fire katamari up once a week and try to beat my best scores. I never played it when it first came out so I'm loving it now

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I love bayonetta 2 but the exploration is so poorly thought out and lazy in a game filled with crazy good combat.

Looking at you chores in no more heroes!

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I didn't hate donut country for what I paid for it but there was no real puzzle element or challenge to it. Nice art style and cute story and at least enough gameplay to make me feel like i was playing some sort of game, but it was no katamari. I still fire katamari up once a week and try to beat my best scores. I never played it when it first came out so I'm loving it now

Donut county seems like a fine gamepass/phone game. I watched my partner play through the whole thing in an afternoon (thanks gamepass) but couldn’t tell you much about it beyond it was cute and neither of us will ever play it again.

Katamari is a classic for a reason. Put katamari in Smash, actually. Need some of those tracks for my battlefield rotation.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

More Katamari Switch ports please. I never played We Love Katamari and rereleasing it seems like the obvious next step but drat it's been what, two years since Reroll, and there's zero hint of it happening so I'm not getting my hopes up.

Also it's extremely bullshit that Forever is still trapped on the PS3.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Project Triangle is my jam

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Stan Taylor posted:

Donut county seems like a fine gamepass/phone game. I watched my partner play through the whole thing in an afternoon (thanks gamepass) but couldn’t tell you much about it beyond it was cute and neither of us will ever play it again.

Played it on Game Pass as well, definitely fits better there, I think. It's like two hours tops. Makes it easy to hit 1000 gamerscore though if achievement hunting is your thing

night slime
May 14, 2014

Smirking_Serpent posted:

It's okay. Some people said something about a combo system or something that was fun but it seemed pretty basic and not much info on the game understandably. Also, you can zoom in on the screen with the minus options, something important I missed turning it on. Mostly I bought it hoping sales encourage them to port the other CVS/SVC games.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.
Mario 3D world's physics are throwing me for a loop because it's the first Mario game I've ever played that has a run button that's not completely redundant.

I find a lot of the camera perspectives really weird as well. It's not game breaking or anything, but it takes a lot of design cues from 3D Land which was one of the few games that made a good case for 3D screens. Take that away, and you're left with some pretty hard to judge jumps.

The WiiU version would have been about the same time that 3DTV's were still a fad, right? Did it support those? Because that feels like the ideal way to play at least for the 3 people who actually bothered getting a 3DTV setup.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Man I just want Cardfighters. C'mon SNK I want that sweet sweet NGPC card fighting action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Bayonetta 2 was a fantastic game with one crucial flaw: The game is designed around witch time. What's sad is that playing the game with witch time off can lead to a lot of incredible boss battles (Glamor) and others that just turn into spam guns.

Policenaut posted:

Man I just want Cardfighters. C'mon SNK I want that sweet sweet NGPC card fighting action.

Don't worry they'll port it.

The DS version.