Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

KozmoNaut posted:

He was whining about being called out for having conservative opinions online.

the nerve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

saw an extremely terrible graycat comment and was obliged to register an account and touch the poop, let's see how long before i'm banned

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Don't you know that KKK was purely individual racism, not in any way related to any so-called "systemic racism"?

HN libertarians, ladies and gentlemen.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

mrmcd posted:

fastball 1 hour ago [–]

I'm in Texas, and lost power for > 72hrs.
I'm not on a wholesale rate plan, but if I was, you can bet your sweet rear end that I would be A. monitoring the wholesale price B. switching off my main breaker the moment the price went above $X.

idk how folks like this manage when they're also monitoring ambulance prices, emergency surgery rates while on vacation, etc.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Americans love shopping for the best deal! We shouldn't take that away from them

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i suppose that could also be read as "this is a ridiculous thing to be doing so i would not be on a wholesale rate plan"

(it shouldn't be read that way however)

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
as dumb as it is, i do know a guy who gets their smart meter reads/feeds wholesale pricing data in to their “home automation” system which will flip stuff on/off automatically.

i however like being married.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

blugu64 posted:

as dumb as it is, i do know a guy who gets their smart meter reads/feeds wholesale pricing data in to their “home automation” system which will flip stuff on/off automatically.

i however like being married.

lol

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

we were on a plan like that and after i did the math over 9 months of usage it ended up costing $10-50 more per month than if we had just used a regular flat rate plan over the same interval

i think the main reason is that they tacked on another few cents of margin for themselves onto the market kwh rate so you really had to only be taking showers at 2am or whatever to come out ahead. maybe it'd be easier to cone out ahead if the margin was fixed per-day or something

lol i just checked the spot price and its 44cNZ/kwh at 10am on a mild summer day, meanwhile our fixed rate is around 28cNZ/kwh iirc but with some discounts on top of that

mystes
May 31, 2006

Even if you aren't going to freeze to death or whatever, why would you really want to micromanage your power usage on that level to hopefully save a few bucks?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mystes posted:

Even if you aren't going to freeze to death or whatever, why would you really want to micromanage your power usage on that level to hopefully save a few bucks?

statements like that make me question your devotion to the all knowing free market

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
in principle it's worthwhile to e.g. teach the system to charge your electric car at 2am instead of as soon as you plug it in after a long day at the office drinking highballs and flirting with the secretaries

but there aren't a lot of other significant power-consuming jobs that can be time-shifted that way, unless you're going so far as to buy a home battery

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
it's not too hard to come up with a pile of things like car charging and weed growing that benefit from scheduling, but the average household isn't doing any of them (yet, hopefully, in the case of cars) and i'm not sure that any of them would benefit meaningfully from real-time pricing decisions rather than just doing them at night.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

mystes posted:

there exist people who enjoy churning credit cards and black friday doorbusters and all that. i do not understand their brains in any meaningful capacity, but they're out there.

the charitable part of me wants to say "deals like that are a way for people without money to get stuff they couldn't usually afford". but i don't actually think that's it - the actual roi on doing that poo poo is almost always so low that it can't actually be for what you get out of it. it has to be for the raw feeling of getting a good deal or feeling like you pulled one over on walmart or whatever. people like that can spend 6 hours to make $30 over the course of a month and feel like they somehow came out ahead

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

people like that can spend 6 hours to make $30 over the course of a month and feel like they somehow came out ahead

this is the bitcoin guys in the GPU thread

like yeah i guess you do currently make 14 dollars a day with the card -- after the 3 months it takes to pay for the initial cost, assuming bitcoin doesn't crash and the card doesn't burn out, and all you have to do is stand in like at a microcenter at 5am for a week straight and then when you want to cash out you simply buy a huge supply of amazon gift cards, making sure to only buy in certain patterns because it's totally legal but the IRS is wrong and will try to make you pay taxes on it so just do it this particular way, and

and i'm just imagining what an intolerable personality one must have to think that all of that makes sense and even proselytize about it. gently caress

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Plorkyeran posted:

it's not too hard to come up with a pile of things like car charging and weed growing that benefit from scheduling, but the average household isn't doing any of them (yet, hopefully, in the case of cars) and i'm not sure that any of them would benefit meaningfully from real-time pricing decisions rather than just doing them at night.

true, and i think it might already be pretty common for electricity to be priced slightly differently for peak / off-peak hours

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
from a thread about how Arizona inmates are being held past their sentences because the software doesn't have features to handle early releases:

quote:

One of the issues is that laws are made on paper and then everyone needs to figure out how to map it to software. Instead, laws should be codified in software and legal APIs should be binding. This would do wonders for efficiency, but also force laws to be cleaned up, be consistent, simple and logical.

quote:

So the government writes up a spec for how the legalese should map to code that engineers then implement? How is that different from what happens now?

quote:

Only the programmed end result in code would be legally binding. Lawmakers would have a big interst in making sure the code is correct and provide incentives/change procedures accordingly.
The inmates in this article would be released immediately after the code-law is implemented; you could apply new tax laws (i.e. as a config file) to your accounting software.

Why maintain an obfuscated legal text when you need it in software anyway?

quote:

The legal text is the specification. What you're suggesting is the equivalent of the classic "the spec is whatever the implementation does", and would erase the distinction between correct, incorrect, and undefined behaviour.

"sorry buddy, we found a bug in the software and it says you don't get out, we know Jeff's code isn't real great but it's still legally binding, you're just gonna have to stay in prison"

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

"just make law more simple and consistent" is the most programmerbrain thing

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

quote:

Yes, I was lucky enough to be born after the fall of communism, so I had the privilege that my parents and grandparents didn't have of not struggling through starvation, not being subjected to attempts of erasing my identity and genocides. See, we white people just don't know what real oppression is, which is low black employment and trigger happy cops.

"Oppression is only real when it happens to white people under communism."

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

jesus WEP posted:

"just make law more simple and consistent" is the most programmerbrain thing

Good when it comes to taxes, bad when it comes to letting people out of jail

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Progressive JPEG posted:

we were on a plan like that and after i did the math over 9 months of usage it ended up costing $10-50 more per month than if we had just used a regular flat rate plan over the same interval

i think the main reason is that they tacked on another few cents of margin for themselves onto the market kwh rate so you really had to only be taking showers at 2am or whatever to come out ahead. maybe it'd be easier to cone out ahead if the margin was fixed per-day or something

lol i just checked the spot price and its 44cNZ/kwh at 10am on a mild summer day, meanwhile our fixed rate is around 28cNZ/kwh iirc but with some discounts on top of that

wasn’t sure if you saw this before but i signed up to whoever the gently caress this was at about the start of the most expensive month for power a few years ago

this was a week

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

from a thread about how Arizona inmates are being held past their sentences because the software doesn't have features to handle early releases:

"sorry buddy, we found a bug in the software and it says you don't get out, we know Jeff's code isn't real great but it's still legally binding, you're just gonna have to stay in prison"

this person has clearly never been anywhere near software development, which is a surprisingly large demographic on hackernews

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

n-gate is great this week

quote:

Paul Graham takes a break from telling people how to think, in order to focus on a more general-interest topic with a broader audience: himself. The result is a fourteen-thousand-word morass constituting the slug track left by a spoiled clown with no meaningful contributions to make to anything. Hackernews continues to be in love. One focus of their adoration is Paul Graham's toy programming language, Bel, which also serves as a flawless analogy for its author: presented with every chance to succeed, recipient of years and years of people's time and attention, only to turn out to be a completely ineffective collection of text on a website, of use to nobody.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
drat lmao

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
we really are useless in comparison to ngate huh

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
thread title never really stopped being true

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

mystes posted:

person who has never needed to think about prices for essential goods and services spotted

mystes
May 31, 2006

human garbage bag posted:

person who has never needed to think about prices for essential goods and services spotted
Reducing your overall power usage to lower your electrical bill is reasonable but intentionally switching to a utility where you have to worry a lot about what the current price is whenever you're using power just doesn't make a lot of sense to me, especially if the potential risk is much higher than the potential savings.

mystes fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 23, 2021

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

mystes posted:

Reducing your overall power usage to lower your electrical bill is reasonable but intentionally switching to a utility where you have to worry a lot about what the current price is whenever you're using power just doesn't make a lot of sense to me, especially if the potential risk is much higher than the potential savings.

people start to lose their rationality when they get to a level where they are thinking about getting money just to feed themselves. it's why poor people are especially vulnerable to scams.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

mystes posted:

I mean it makes sense if you're a factory pulling MWs regulaly but for the average homeowners it's cheapdad min-max spreadsheet hobby with a few bucks a day of possible upside.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

Love the programmer brains at hn encountering real world use cases that they can't wrap their minds around, and who then have one good suggestion being "we need to simplify the real world" rather than in any way hoping to improve themselves.

It's like physicists went around trying to please have the farmer produce more spherical cows rather than acknowledging the model's limitations.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

MononcQc posted:

It's like physicists went around trying to please have the farmer produce more spherical cows rather than acknowledging the model's limitations.

ah, i see you’ve met a physicist

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
dont forget feynman was a startup bro

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

as if a physicist would say please

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
wait wtf is Bel, what happened to Arc? oh i bet i have to rtfa. i will not

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

DELETE CASCADE posted:

wait wtf is Bel, what happened to Arc? oh i bet i have to rtfa. i will not

let me guess, it's a custom dialect of LISP

*googles it*

yup, actually they both are

change my view, LISP is the original hipster language, "just use LISP" has been a thing since *checks dates* 1955

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
isn't the whole point of lisp that you implement your dialect *in lisp*, as macros, rather than creating a whole new language?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yes

thats why theres so many lisps and the uptake is so poo poo

and the dude who wrote about this did this before clinton was president iirc

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

MononcQc posted:

Love the programmer brains at hn encountering real world use cases that they can't wrap their minds around, and who then have one good suggestion being "we need to simplify the real world" rather than in any way hoping to improve themselves.

and then immediately after explaining that farmers just need to make their cows spherical, they immediately jump into making fun of legislators who are trying to pass laws that require impossible things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

echinopsis posted:

wasn’t sure if you saw this before but i signed up to whoever the gently caress this was at about the start of the most expensive month for power a few years ago

this was a week

that looks like flick, we were on flick and moved to electric kiwi, noticeably cheaper now despite flick being theoretically "market rate"