Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanisher

Oh yeah you need transparency

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Jenny Agutter posted:

im stumped. if you want you could post the .blend somewhere for us to take a peek. or try deleting and remaking the cup, you could export it as a .obj first so you don't have to redo all of your work

Ah, thanks you!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mCVeIL0fylwHM9zY_dsXO7G0cNcr5sxG/view?usp=sharing
I'm hoping I don't have to remake it. :ohdear:

Manifisto

problem solved I think

you put a particle system on your tea object, but you have "show emitter" turned off in the particle settings

if you do that, your emitter won't be shown in the render

ty nesamdoom!

vanisher

Mani to the rescue

Jenny Agutter

i love blender but there are so many tiny gotchas lol

Manifisto

Jenny Agutter posted:

very true lol

Shadow0

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Manifisto posted:

problem solved I think

you put a particle system on your tea object, but you have "show emitter" turned off in the particle settings

if you do that, your emitter won't be shown in the render

I disabled the particle thing and it worked! :toot:
Thanks so much!
When I get a chance to render, I'll post the animation.

I kept feeling like that tea was somehow too still so I was trying to add little tea leaf bits to swirl around, but it was proving a bit too difficult, but that's what the particle system was trying to do.

Jenny Agutter posted:

Meme Poker Party

by Azathoth
I am heartily lmao'ing at myself right now for spending way too much time trying to hand-wrap a plane around a torso to make a top, then figuring out how to use the cloth modifier.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Manifisto

Meme Poker Party posted:

I am heartily lmao'ing at myself right now for spending way too much time trying to hand-wrap a plane around a torso to make a top, then figuring out how to use the cloth modifier.

sympathetic lol, anyone who has used blender for a while has tried to do something the hard way before learning there's a much easier/more powerful technique

ty nesamdoom!

Meme Poker Party

by Azathoth

Manifisto posted:

sympathetic lol, anyone who has used blender for a while has tried to do something the hard way before learning there's a much easier/more powerful technique

Dang, the cloth stuff is like magic now that I've spent some time today figuring it out lol. I didn't know if I was going to be able to make a top that didn't actually go around, uh... the top. I had to tweak the friction settings and what not all over the place, but it worked. Was able to take thing on right and make thing on left.

Sarashi wraps in Blender!

Still gotta texture it and all but based on the lines the mesh should be able to provide the actual look of layered wraps I think. Art is cool.

----------------

Manifisto

nice, looks like you've got the sewing springs thing down, good work

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

more Things are coming!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8eS31QsM_k

ty nesamdoom!

Khanstant
the nodes still scare me, more math than drawing but this new blocking just draw geometry system seems sweet. also wanna play with that big goo. getting a new computer soon, whats the first crazy thing i should render that i cant handle now?

Manifisto

Khanstant posted:

the nodes still scare me, more math than drawing but this new blocking just draw geometry system seems sweet. also wanna play with that big goo. getting a new computer soon, whats the first crazy thing i should render that i cant handle now?

I am not sure what benefits the geometry nodes (or particle nodes for that matter) will bring for me but I do kinda look forward to messing around with them

are you upgrading your video card? if not, then pick something cpu-intensive, like physics simulations at high resolutions. in either case, go nuts with particle systems, see how many millions of particles it takes to bring your system to its knees (save often if you do not want to lose work). also try sculping at insanely high resolutions.

there are a few free/readily available scenes that are used as benchmarks, maybe run a few to see how your system stacks up? here are a bunch of blend files that includes commonly used benchmarks:

https://www.blender.org/download/demo-files/

also, if you're still selecting hardware, data from benchmarks might be helpful in deciding whether a particular upgrade is worth the cost

https://opendata.blender.org/

ty nesamdoom!

Khanstant
it's an all new machine, just waiting for the 3080 to stop being delayed then i pick it up from bb and my case should be here next week and then i can build it. 3080/5600x/32gbram so i think i need to make a goblin particle and make it rain goblin fluid

aww my new cpu doesnt even make the chart but i got a 20% discount on it at least

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 20, 2021

RazzleDazzleHour

Nodes are one of those things that look completely insane and unnatural until eventually you mess around with them enough and suddenly they click and you realize how the process works. The biggest hill to get over is figuring out that it's very easy to make simple designs that look really good (sand is super easy, rocks are super easy), and then you just combine them to make them more and more complicated. There's a lot of tutorials online that will just straight-up show you what combination of nodes they use, and then you can tweak their setups to figure out what role each node plays and figure out how to tweak it to your liking, then eventually move into combining multiple tutorials into more and more complicated shapes

Meme Poker Party

by Azathoth

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Nodes are one of those things that look completely insane and unnatural until eventually you mess around with them enough and suddenly they click and you realize how the process works. The biggest hill to get over is figuring out that it's very easy to make simple designs that look really good (sand is super easy, rocks are super easy), and then you just combine them to make them more and more complicated. There's a lot of tutorials online that will just straight-up show you what combination of nodes they use, and then you can tweak their setups to figure out what role each node plays and figure out how to tweak it to your liking, then eventually move into combining multiple tutorials into more and more complicated shapes

Yeah nodes are crazy when you get into them. I'm finally grappling with them now because I'm working on my first character. The thing I've noticed about characters is that while there are a thousand free textures online for wood, metal, cloth, etc... there are almost zero (that I could find) for things like skin or hair. And I have have zero experience with photoshop so I can't make my own yet. So I decided "screw it, let's see what I can do for skin just using nodes". Some youtube video clued me into the "voronoi texture" node, and while the video didn't help me much otherwise, knowledge of that node and what it's about was a godsend. So I spent some time yesterday screwing around with nodes and this is what I got.

The nodes

The result (just the skin is the relevant part)

This isn't like, professional level or nothing but I'm really happy with how it turned out for how gosh darn simple the nodes are. Look at that the tree! It's just a base color, a ramp, and two voronois. One voronoi guides the color ramp to smear the skin tone and make the body paint, a second voronoi is the bump map. There is no image texture involved. And this is just a first attempt thrown together during a late night, caffeine-fueled experiment session. I'm sure it could be refined much further with some time. Maybe something similar will work for the hair too!

Nodes, man.... nodes.

----------------

Manifisto

Meme Poker Party posted:

The result (just the skin is the relevant part)

that looks really good for a first crack at it!

I would tone down the bump displacement unless a pebbly appearance is what you want however. if your goal is to simulate pores and such you might want to look into downloading bump/normal maps of skin surface.

with skin, people who are really into it get into subsurface scattering and some of them claim it is absolutely necessary for photorealism. subsurface scattering isn't the most intuitive thing, the simplest way to say it is it imparts a certain translucent quality that can be set to different colors (really, absorbing different wavelengths of light) at different depths. finding information on it shouldn't be hard but it may be way overkill for you. sss can be tweaked directly in the principled bsdf node but the controls are not very self-explanatory.

for hair, there is a "principled hair bsdf" shader that should be able to give you very realistic hair just by tweaking the settings, it's designed to be very flexible and physically accurate. this node is currently cycles-only however.

ty nesamdoom!

Meme Poker Party

by Azathoth

Manifisto posted:

that looks really good for a first crack at it!

I would tone down the bump displacement unless a pebbly appearance is what you want however. if your goal is to simulate pores and such you might want to look into downloading bump/normal maps of skin surface.

with skin, people who are really into it get into subsurface scattering and some of them claim it is absolutely necessary for photorealism. subsurface scattering isn't the most intuitive thing, the simplest way to say it is it imparts a certain translucent quality that can be set to different colors (really, absorbing different wavelengths of light) at different depths. finding information on it shouldn't be hard but it may be way overkill for you. sss can be tweaked directly in the principled bsdf node but the controls are not very self-explanatory.

for hair, there is a "principled hair bsdf" shader that should be able to give you very realistic hair just by tweaking the settings, it's designed to be very flexible and physically accurate. this node is currently cycles-only however.

Thanks for the information. I'm glad I posted and got clued into "principled hair exists" because otherwise I'd probably have spent an embarrassing amount of time throwing nodes around the standard BSDF first. I will probably tweak the displacement (and a lot of things, generally, I'm not near done) but I'm not necessarily going for photorealism and I'm not trying to make the "human with wings and funny colors" kind of demon so somewhat leathery or rough skin may be good.

For the skin maps though, where do you get them? I've searched around for texture sites and found some good ones but none of them have really any selection of hair/skin unless I'm looking in the wrong places (very possible). Or do you mean paid libraries?

The cycles comment is funny because the first video I looked up on skin turned out to be Eevee only and just straight didn't work in cycles, which the uploader didn't realize lol. I don't know the ins and outs of Eevee vs Cycles, but I like cycles so far because I feel like I have a much easier time getting lighting to feel good with it.

----------------

Manifisto

Meme Poker Party posted:

For the skin maps though, where do you get them? I've searched around for texture sites and found some good ones but none of them have really any selection of hair/skin unless I'm looking in the wrong places (very possible). Or do you mean paid libraries?

well I happened to come across this, which includes both normal and displacement maps:

https://3dtextures.me/2016/05/21/human-skin-001/

in addition, this a random site but I saw it suggested somewhere, it is a texture search engine. it turns up 8 full human skin textures, most of them are hosted on another site I don't know, sharetextures.com, that are in-house created, free, and CC0 licensed which is pretty darn cool. can't vouch for the quality though.

https://www.3dassets.one/search?query=human+skin&resolution=

if you type "normal map human skin" into GIS you should get some potentially helpful results. having a seamlessly tiled normal map would be ideal.

Meme Poker Party posted:

The cycles comment is funny because the first video I looked up on skin turned out to be Eevee only and just straight didn't work in cycles, which the uploader didn't realize lol. I don't know the ins and outs of Eevee vs Cycles, but I like cycles so far because I feel like I have a much easier time getting lighting to feel good with it.

cycles is more powerful and more intuitive so I think it's good for people starting out (and for final renders in most cases). the huge speed increase for rendering in eevee is hard to ignore however, which makes gradually incorporating it into your workflow very tempting.

Manifisto fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 23, 2021

Meme Poker Party

by Azathoth

Manifisto posted:

well I happened to come across this, which includes both normal and displacement maps:

https://3dtextures.me/2016/05/21/human-skin-001/

in addition, this a random site but I saw it suggested somewhere, it is a texture search engine. it turns up 8 full human skin textures, most of them are hosted on another site I don't know, sharetextures.com, that are in-house created, free, and CC0 licensed which is pretty darn cool. can't vouch for the quality though.

https://www.3dassets.one/search?query=human+skin&resolution=

if you type "normal map human skin" into GIS you should get some potentially helpful results. having a seamlessly tiled normal map would be ideal.

Nice! Thank you. I missed these sites somehow, saving them now. I've been using mainly cc0textures.com and cgbookcase.com for textures, and they ain't got the goods for organics. Also, I have no idea why it didn't occur to me to do a direct google image search instead of only going through libraries.

My shading game is just beginning :hehe:

----------------

RazzleDazzleHour

Ive tried to make the same project for a few weeks now but keep running into walls with Eevee trying to make the water exactly the way I want it. I've got four versions of this project where I eventually figure out that getting water to be both transluscent and have accurate reflections is going to be a nightmare/impossible so I end up quitting and playing Autochess instead or something. Maybe I should hop over into Unreal Engine because I know that would render it out the way I want it. Cycles would technically work but would take forever to render a full animation.

Manifisto

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Ive tried to make the same project for a few weeks now but keep running into walls with Eevee trying to make the water exactly the way I want it. I've got four versions of this project where I eventually figure out that getting water to be both transluscent and have accurate reflections is going to be a nightmare/impossible so I end up quitting and playing Autochess instead or something. Maybe I should hop over into Unreal Engine because I know that would render it out the way I want it. Cycles would technically work but would take forever to render a full animation.

hmmm, yeah, getting certain things to look right in eevee can be frustrating.

at the risk of suggesting something you probably already know, do you mean that you literally can't make an object both translucent and make normal reflections? that at least I can tell you how to do, but it might look nowhere near how you want.

the short version: shader is a mix of transparent bsdf and glossy bsdf, adjust the transparency color if you want to give a tint/add roughness to the glossy for murkiness. obviously tweak the mix factor until it looks how you want.

make sure the object's viewport display alpha is set to alpha blend, and turn on "screen space reflections" for the object and global settings. in the global settings I'd turn on "refraction" as well.

but to get your reflections right, you have to add and bake a reflection object, I usually add a "reflection cubemap" but I am not an expert at this. make sure your cubemap is scaled up to encompass everything you want included in the reflections, other than environmental lighting. you bake your cubemap in the "render properties" tab under "indirect lighting."

if your problems is with getting the right resolution for the reflection cubemap and other settings of eevee, alas I don't know enough about it to tell you exactly how to make it look good.

Manifisto fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 24, 2021

ty nesamdoom!

RazzleDazzleHour

Yeah I've tried that strategy already, it just doesn't look good. You might have to crank your gamma up, I've been told my computer screen is super bright so all my screenshots are really dark for other people but here's what I'm working with

Basically I'm working with three overlapping planes here. The bottom one is a base color with a small animation to it (not pictured) to represent caustics and a sub-surface color, but there's an emission shader hooked up to it to make it shine through the second layer, which is translucent layer I can adjust to make it work the way I want to with whatever the final lighting setup will be, but this is a surface-level layer where I'll add all the surface details like lillypads or the rain droplets. The third layer is a totally clear glass layer that I want to just use for reflections.

Manifisto

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yeah I've tried that strategy already, it just doesn't look good. You might have to crank your gamma up, I've been told my computer screen is super bright so all my screenshots are really dark for other people but here's what I'm working with

Basically I'm working with three overlapping planes here. The bottom one is a base color with a small animation to it (not pictured) to represent caustics and a sub-surface color, but there's an emission shader hooked up to it to make it shine through the second layer, which is translucent layer I can adjust to make it work the way I want to with whatever the final lighting setup will be, but this is a surface-level layer where I'll add all the surface details like lillypads or the rain droplets. The third layer is a totally clear glass layer that I want to just use for reflections.

yeah that's fancier than what I was talking about. your third layer won't give you distortion on your reflections if it's not displaced like your second layer, I'm sure you know. also, getting the glass shader to behave doesn't always work for me.

here is what I was playing with, v simple, no subsurface or volumetric stuff:

anyway, best of luck, and if you get stuff working the way you want it let us know!

ty nesamdoom!

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
Hello thread! It's been a while but I'm still impressed by all the great stuff you all are doing.

Anyway, look at this cool animation style from the video game ghost trick. The whole game appears to be 2d, but the characters were actually modeled and animated in 3d, with like, flat color rendering & pixel snap. If I ever wanted to level up my 2d game art, I'd learn 3d modeling so I could make stuff like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngqKUPM8IT4

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

Manifisto

okay, 2.92 is out

https://www.blender.org/

have fun!

also I was playing with eevee water little more:

https://i.imgur.com/5U4GMsP.mp4

it's got a volumetric depth to help show what's underneath, and the use of a "reflection plane" instead of a "reflection volume" really helps with the surface reflections. I did not set it up to have the underwater parts refract but I imagine this would be possible. there's a little banding from the volumetrics, hopefully you can dial in values that don't show the banding.

e: the render took just under 6 seconds per frame, not exactly lightning quick but vastly better than cycles

ty nesamdoom!

Shadow0

I feel like "quick smoke" is a misnomer. I've almost finished my lovely donut, but when I tried fixing the tea color, I managed to break the steam effect I had going. I tried making a new quick smoke, but it didn't fix it.
If I turn on material preview shading, I can see splotches showing up, but when I render - nothing. I have volume stuff enabled in all the render settings. I tried baking it, unbaking it, changing the cache style. I'm really not sure what went wrong. :sigh:
Help me, Thread Kenobi, you're my only hope! :ohdear:

Manifisto

Shadow0 posted:

I feel like "quick smoke" is a misnomer. I've almost finished my lovely donut, but when I tried fixing the tea color, I managed to break the steam effect I had going. I tried making a new quick smoke, but it didn't fix it.
If I turn on material preview shading, I can see splotches showing up, but when I render - nothing. I have volume stuff enabled in all the render settings. I tried baking it, unbaking it, changing the cache style. I'm really not sure what went wrong. :sigh:
Help me, Thread Kenobi, you're my only hope! :ohdear:

these are hard kinds of problems to diagnose without the blender file. but to be honest, I have once or twice gotten physics caches stuck in a weird state like you describe, where the cache just won't bake properly even though it used to. in fact, I tried repeating a simple version of what you did and I ran into a problem (see end of post) while messing around with it. it's frustrating, I suspect it's a bug of some kind.

one thing to try: delete your smoke domain object, and then whatever object you put the inflow on, delete the fluid sim from your inflow object, then do the quick smoke again on the inflow object. if you try to do another "quick smoke" without first deleting the fluid sim from all the objects it's enabled on, it might not work.

I've said before that I like to use blender stack exchange when trying to figure stuff out, here is a reply to a question that seems worthwhile to check out, alternatively/in addition:

quote:

There are some issues with the cachine of fluid simulation frames in Blender 2.83+ where the old frames are not re-calculated properly when the simulation details are changed. This can sometimes result in the frames being invalidated (so they are removed) but not re-calculated when the simulation is re-run. I have seen this when using 'Replay' cache mode but the same issue may also exist when baking from the cached frames.

You can force the full simulation to be reset by changing one of the 'core' settings of the simulation - such as the Resolution. This has the effect of forcing the full simulation to be reset which does not occur when changing some of the more 'minor' settings (such as Noise). You don't actually need to change the setting - just click into the Resolution property and press Enter to accept it and this is typically enough for Blender to register that the whole simulation has been invalidated and needs to be recalculated. If you have baked the simulation you should 'free' the bake, then trigger the invalidation, then re-bake the simulation.

https://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/193561/blender-2-9-smoke-sim-noise-bugged

finally, I figured out how to fix the problem I encountered while messing around. I was looking at the material on the smoke domain object, and I noticed that in the material tab in the properties window there was a "Use Nodes" button under "surface," even though the "volume" was populated. it turns out that it's a toggle, and if you click that "use nodes" button once, it turns off your Volume input even though it's visible in the nodes. the solution is just to click "Use Nodes" again and your volumetrics reappear. I would be interested whether, in your current file, simply clicking "Use Nodes" once in your smoke domain material fixes your problem. but it could be something else entirely. good luck!

ty nesamdoom!

nut

it is not blender but picoCAD dropped today for name your own price and I thought maybe some of you might think it fun to kick around in

https://johanpeitz.itch.io/picocad

Meme Poker Party

by Azathoth
Well I did it folks. I finished my first character ever. She certainly ain't perfect, but for a first go I'm very happy with what I was able to do. I've been tinkering with her for weeks trying to figure out all the different elements it takes to make a full character.

There is definitely more I'd like to do and improvements I'd like to make. But it's kind of like that moment when your halfway through a new strategy game and you're looking over your horribly built empire and think "ok this build sucks, but I get it now". The foundation of this one is flawed, but now I understand. So it just makes more sense to start another than try to hammer this one into shape any further. The mesh itself is flawed. I've got so many backups and alternates and high poly pieces and low poly pieces strewn all over the place in different collections that it's hard to keep track of things. There were mistakes made early in the process that hamper going much further, but I've learned a lot about workflow and organization!

If anyone has feedback/compliments/criticism I'd be happy to hear them.

----------------

Manifisto

wow, that's really awesome. I really like the wings. nice work on the dress too, have you had good luck getting the cloth sim to work well when you animate her?

have you ever used adobe's mixamo? i've seen it mentioned a number of times as a good way to get little stock mo-cap animations to try out with your characters. here's one video on the process which looks p straightforward:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngqqT3Jn73w

I would love seeing your rig animated in this way! or if you've done some animations with your full rig I would be interested in seeing that too.

I don't really have substantive feedback, but I think it looks great. the hair and skin could look a bit more natural (for the skin, I don't necessarily mean more human-like, but a bit less plasticky), but I don't want to nit pick!

ty nesamdoom!

Meme Poker Party

by Azathoth
I have zero animation experience so all I did so far was attach the rig and make that very simple pose. I can tell I didn't do it quite right, because some parts act funky, and I actually had to cheat with the eyes because they were not cooperating at all. So I just detached them and placed them manually. So yeah, no animation as of now.

I'll check out the mixamo thing though. Maybe I'll try redoing the rig and see what I can get going.

----------------

Manifisto

Meme Poker Party posted:

I have zero animation experience so all I did so far was attach the rig and make that very simple pose. I can tell I didn't do it quite right, because some parts act funky, and I actually had to cheat with the eyes because they were not cooperating at all. So I just detached them and placed them manually. So yeah, no animation as of now.

I'll check out the mixamo thing though. Maybe I'll try redoing the rig and see what I can get going.

looks like the mixamo thing (which I've never tried) has its own simple way of rigging characters you've uploaded, so you don't need to go through the rigging process in blender!

which is not the easiest, in my limited experience, but there's a reason for that, getting everything to look nice when you're animating is just a complex thing. not only do you need to assign the weights for each bone properly, but I've seen many people talk about how you often need to set up vertex groups for the mesh to account for weird bulges/folds that happen when the armature is deforming the mesh.

ty nesamdoom!

RazzleDazzleHour

Still have not worked on my "for fun" project...........

Manifisto

nice work on those glasses, razzle!

so, inspired by this video . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZhRcpJGqjs

I tried using geometry nodes in the spring sig I made for biosterous. it's pretty neat, and being node-based it seems like there's potential to do a lot of really cool and unusual stuff with it. I will admit that I found it a tad glitchy, but I expect its stability will improve as it gets more use. I had hoped I'd be able to use it in a way that the regular particle systems can't do (involving dynamic paint) but I ultimately ran into the same problem, which is I guess really more of a limitation of dynamic paint. there are workarounds of course, but they're clunky.

still, I'm looking forward to playing with geometry nodes more, and seeing what cool things other people figure out how to do with them!

ty nesamdoom!

RazzleDazzleHour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPITn3k1mD0

Manifisto

neat

ty nesamdoom!

Khanstant
grease paint is something i definitely need to learn and explore. for now, though, wanting to wrap up this bad boy.

Been trying to model Corpses Christi lately, (big city from my goblin world) and I think I more or less have the base terrain roughly looking how I want. Still need to mess with corpses christi itself a little more, and cave in the crack and butthole-cave/inner-sea area somehow, but the mountains and hills and sugarlands around it look about right. [while typing this and doing a full aerial render, i realize i forgot to carve in rivers will probably also be annoying to get a plane meshed properly to make it looks water in it, oops]

Right now what I want to do is add trees, mushrooms, maybe some candy cacti or whatever to the landscape. I also want to add cityscapes to areas of corpses christi, primarily the rear end, legs, and head.

The primary point of this model is to help me and my buddy better visualize the scale and geography of our mega-city and how it would look from different vantage points. Ideally I'd be able to go from an aerial view, then have camera zoom in to a single room in a specific building and kind of see how poo poo looks from that vantage point.

I don't think I can really do that though, and this hi poly mesh on the body would be insanely low poly when blown up to geographic scale, plus however many billions of particles I'd need to fill. On the other hand, at a lot of the scales I'd be rendering shots from, maybe individual particles and trees and buildings is excessive, since that high/far away a lot of it would look almost flat... but from other angles it would be important for them to be catching the light and casting shadow or forming little clumps or whatever.

i was tempted to also buy some tree and plant asset packs, but a lot of those are probably way too detailed. I more need individual forests, giant mushroom colonies, and clusters of cities/towns more so than individual plants. One of the landscape trials i used had an interesting tree model, some twisty polys and the trunk is a twisty mesh of some tree trunk image texture, the leaves another split into this crazy cloud of twisty mesh and individual faces twisted this way and that, different branch chunks on each part. 2much work 4 me to recreate myself, but it looks lovely catching the light. Was thinking of taking that base tree, streeetching out the leaves part o make it cover alot more area. might look super lovely though.

here's a tree test i did on my mesh in a separate file: I think that was 100,000 trees...but not all distributed in this shot, weight painted specific areas and this shot has the heavier forested areas. This was as small as theyd go using the add-on that was handling the tree stuff, scaling up my mesh would bring them closer to size Id like, but that just means more and more trees to fill the space. Grass I think I would add only in very upclose shots, and maybe at that point id just as well make a new scene with this one as the reference of distant background.

plenty of tutorials for making a big forest, or cool forest scene, or even faking one for your scene from a specific angle, but having trouble finding stuff more geared towards a more massive scale? I tested a hundred billion or maybe trillion sugar particles using geometry node stuff. I was able to render, but blender itself was too slow to really tweak it after i set the high density or whatever. Plus sugar crystals are much simpler than a tree. although less volume to deal with.

link to a zip with the file if anyone wants any parts of this for whatever https://goblinhoney.org/images/corpseschristi/greatercorpseschristiregion.7z

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
Not actually Blender but this seems like a good thread to be excited about 3D things in - I recently learned there's a script-based CAD thing, so you can make 3D printable shapes by describing them in computerese instead of using an inscrutable interface. Computerese-describing is much more my style than trying to figure out user interfaces, so that's pretty sweet and now makes me tempted to get a 3D printer. https://www.openscad.org/index.html