Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Psycho Landlord posted:

So is Dungeon of the Endless :v:

mods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Stickman posted:

I must be misremembering. I remember it having much, much less combat that other infinity engine games, but that made the remaining combat annoying because there's really no continuous engagement with the combat systems - basically the combat felt vestigial because so much of the focus was on the narrative that the infinity combat systems were no longer a good fit. It's been a long time since I played it, though!
I wouldn't be surprised if you forgot about much of it simply because it was usually so boring, which is a very understandable reason. PS:T had some sections that were purely social, but the sections that had combat tended to have a lot of it, which was generally a real slog.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Trickyblackjack posted:

I decided to aggregate all my game libraries with GOG Galaxy. How cruel do you have to be to insist that I should know my total cumulative number of hours played?

I tried doing this a while back and kept having to reconnect the Steam/Origin/etc. integrations every few days. Eventually just gave up on the whole shebang.

Kind of a bummer because conceptually it’s pretty rad.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Stickman posted:

I must be misremembering. I remember it having much, much less combat that other infinity engine games, but that made the remaining combat annoying because there's really no continuous engagement with the combat systems - basically the combat felt vestigial because so much of the focus was on the narrative that the infinity combat systems were no longer a good fit. It's been a long time since I played it, though!

Torment definitely has less combat than the Baldur's Gate games, but it is still has a bunch of filler encounters and a few dedicated dungeons. That said, it is the closest game to what I'd say is the ideal proportion of combat to narrative in the WRPG genre.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ZearothK posted:

Torment definitely has less combat than the Baldur's Gate games, but it is still has a bunch of filler encounters and a few dedicated dungeons. That said, it is the closest game to what I'd say is the ideal proportion of combat to narrative in the WRPG genre.

Plenty of people find that level of dialogue insufferable too, I don't think there's some kind of magic peanut butter to chocolate magic ratio that fits everyone. There's a wide spectrum of rpgs ranging from Diablo to Disco, and that's good.

Narrative dissonance is a different issue, but generally a universally funny one if you look too closely at any game with violence as a means of problem solving alongside heavy dialogue.

(walking around coated in blood in dragon age origins being one of the funnier on the nose accidental nods to this)

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

The website has been updated for the first time in years

http://www.steam.com

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Intruder is on sale for the first time after being in development for something like 10 years. It finally came to Steam in 2019 and the solo developer has since hired help, added a map editor, revamped the physics and visuals, and continues working on it nearly full time despite it already being a pretty great game since 2014 or so. It's a multiplayer stealth game where your espionage tools are key, like counterstrike mixed with that Splinter Cell multiplayer.

You get stuff like a mirror camera for looking around corners, motion sensors and remote charges for keeping track of enemy movements, cardboard cutouts to use as decoys, banana peels to slip on, and a dedicated ragdoll button that you can use to goof off by tossing yourself over couches and off buildings or to play dead for a sneaky ambush.

The community is small but active, and there's even a browser extension that will show you how many people are in game at any given time and allows you to set a player number threshold for various regions that will send out a notification once it's reached. It's an absolute labor of love and the developer has done everything he can reasonably do to build the community and keep people playing where most other multiplayer only games would have folded long ago. It's fantastic fun and I still definitely recommend it. Even though there generally aren't always people playing at all times outside of big updates, there are games going at certain times every day consistently and it's been that way for years. There's also a robust player-driven social rating system that will see shitheads, edgelords and mic spammers demoted eventually and only allowed to play on demoted servers, so the community is genuinely pretty pleasant to play with. A caveat: North America is most active, Europe is pretty sizable, there's even a decent number of South American players, but Oceania is almost non-existent. With the sale and recent update there are 100+ people playing currently, it's a great time to try it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSLKfdrT41U

treat fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 22, 2021

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

ultrafilter posted:

I was thinking about that too. I think the best I can come up with is that we only consider DE an RPG because we don't really know what else to call it.

I just looked at the publishing date (2015) after reading it.

I think the article needs a revisiting because it was written at the start of the cRPG renaissance and we've had a bunch of games since that do wildly different things with combat and the article would be much improved if it could work towards a larger point by using these games as illustrations.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Cardiovorax posted:

The guy does make good point that the problem isn't really the presence of combat so much as the pacing of the combat, and how many games seem to hold to a design philosophy of "the correct amount of combat encounters for a section is as many as you can fit in there, and no less."

There are a lot of games that I would not want to have no combat, because I like combat. I could do with less filler in a many of them, though.

I'm playing through Trails of Cold Steel 2 right now and it has a turbo button and I fuckin' love the turbo button, yes let me speed up these trash battles, these slow panning shots, speed my way as I run around a town area etc; every turn-based jrpg really need a turbo button. Getting burned out on battles is the #1 reason I stop playing any rpg.

Trails of Cold Steel isn't a game where I've ever had to grind so that helps but sometimes you just want to get to the dungeon's end boss ASAP.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

big sale on spyro remastered today

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

PlushCow posted:

I'm playing through Trails of Cold Steel 2 right now and it has a turbo button and I fuckin' love the turbo button, yes let me speed up these trash battles, these slow panning shots, speed my way as I run around a town area etc; every turn-based jrpg really need a turbo button. Getting burned out on battles is the #1 reason I stop playing any rpg.
One of the big advantages of emulation, certainly. I am seriously considering picking up some old PS2 JRPGs these days just because you can actually do that now - reliably and at full FPS, that is.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

All those questions I asked about 4x games a while ago were moot because I got Dyson Sphere Project and played that for 100 hours during Hoth week. I'd always stayed away from Factorio and the like because that genre looked like tedium, but turns out it's dope as hell! Highly recommend.

Orv
May 4, 2011

treat posted:

Intruder is on sale for the first time after being in development for something like 10 years. It finally came to Steam in 2019 and the solo developer has since hired help, added a map editor, revamped the physics and visuals, and continues working on it nearly full time despite it already being a pretty great game since 2014 or so. It's a multiplayer stealth game where your espionage tools are key, like counterstrike mixed with that Splinter Cell multiplayer.

Intruder is some of the funnest and most confusing asymmetrical PvP I have ever experienced. The Spies vs Mercs comparison is for sure there and the feel of that is strong but it delivers so many more "What the gently caress happened here/there" moments that I cannot recommend it strongly enough if you like those kinds of experiences.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

zoux posted:

All those questions I asked about 4x games a while ago were moot because I got Dyson Sphere Project and played that for 100 hours during Hoth week. I'd always stayed away from Factorio and the like because that genre looked like tedium, but turns out it's dope as hell! Highly recommend.

[ominous chanting] one of us, one of us, one of us, one of us [/ominous chanting]

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is Cruelty Squad an actual fun game or are the favorable Steam reviews just dumb meme poo poo?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

ZearothK posted:

I don’t think that there is a singular idealized proportion of combat - it depends heavily what the game is trying to do and how the combat services the narrative (or vice versa). I liked the Planescape example because it has less combat than its contemporaries, but it still has too much for what it was trying to do. On the other hand, I think Icewind Dale had the right amount of combat because that was its focus and the narrative served mostly to drive the combat. Baldur’s Gate is intermediary, but I always liked the balance it struck - PS just didn’t need the combat system at all.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I'd say this isn't wrong. In fact, I think the complaints about in PS:T often stemmed as much from the fact that the writing was so strong as it did from the fact that conbat was so weak. It tended to get more in the way than anything, because you really just wanted to get back to talky parts of the plot or quest 90% of the time. Tons of combat in Icewind Dale is fine because Icewind Dale is basically Dungeon Delving Simulator: The Game.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Speaking of combat heavy RPGs, I recently got Neverwinter Nights as part of a bundle and I'm curious how the expansions hold up. I remember really enjoying hordes of the underdark back in the day.

Is there any game out there with an equivalent of the Aurora engine? There was a ton of great content that came out for NWN back in the day.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

They hold up substantially less well these days, in my opinion, because the blocky format of the game just drags it down a lot more than you'd expect. The writing is the same as it always was, but unlike the Infinity Engine games, no other part of it has really aged well. Waukeen Square is nearly as pretty and detailed-feeling today as it was when Baldur's Gate 2 was released. Neverwinter Nights just feels ugly with its reliance on prefabbed square-shaped stock assets and distinct height planes.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Shadows and Hordes are still fine, the NWN OC remains pretty garbage though

That said the NWN EE is actually... kinda crazy in what it does? Like it legit looks like a whole new game. And a huge amount of older mods have already been ported, so there's that.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

PlushCow posted:

Trails of Cold Steel isn't a game where I've ever had to grind so that helps but sometimes you just want to get to the dungeon's end boss ASAP.

Good to hear about this: I've been trying to get back into RPGs I always wanted to play and I'm starting to really like the inclusion of cheats like turbo speed (really helped me get through FF9 recently). To hear it's in the Trails of Cold Steel series as well is a nice surprise: I wonder if this is the case more than I originally thought.

Though I do have to say, sometimes I think "well, if you're going to add a turbo button, maybe you should just make battles faster in general so you don't need it in the first place?" It's Spinal Tap's "these go to eleven" all over again. At least FF9 had the excuse that it was put in after the fact, but to have it in the game from the very start...

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

FutureCop posted:

Good to hear about this: I've been trying to get back into RPGs I always wanted to play and I'm starting to really like the inclusion of cheats like turbo speed (really helped me get through FF9 recently). To hear it's in the Trails of Cold Steel series as well is a nice surprise: I wonder if this is the case more than I originally thought.

Though I do have to say, sometimes I think "well, if you're going to add a turbo button, maybe you should just make battles faster in general so you don't need it in the first place?" It's Spinal Tap's "these go to eleven" all over again. At least FF9 had the excuse that it was put in after the fact, but to have it in the game from the very start...

It wasn't in the game from the very start; XSEED literally hacked in a turbo button.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://twitter.com/fireh9lly/status/1363084751045853191

https://twitter.com/LadTriple/status/1363092586760704001

Fascinating look at games, and also this is part of why I like Spiderweb games. They're just...there. Present. Available.

I mean Estonia has a higher IHDI than the United States.

I assume the country must have rocketed in development over the past twenty years?

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Trying to decide whether or not I want Persona 5 S. I liked P5 but ended up not finishing it. Just surprised to see P5S on Steam.

I forgot what the extended edition of P5 was so I immediately went from "wait, it's on Steam!?" to "wait, what, is this a soccer spinoff" to "wait, what, is this a Dynasty Warriors spinoff" in under a minute. I... can't help but feel they're putting the cart before the horse, here, whatever it is.

rt4 posted:

Is Cruelty Squad an actual fun game or are the favorable Steam reviews just dumb meme poo poo?

Yes.

Serious answer: it might be your cup of tea if you enjoy games like Vangers or Juice Galaxy. Very much "weird for weirdness' sake" above all else, to the point of being an assault on the senses, and yet there's a genuine effort being made somewhere. You could probably tell quite easily inside of 2 hours if it's just going to end up driving you up the wall, at least.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I assume the country must have rocketed in development over the past twenty years?
The whole area was considered relatively well developed (industrialized, well educated, Western-ish) even back during the USSR days. Particularly when compared to the Asian republics.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Orv posted:

Intruder is some of the funnest and most confusing asymmetrical PvP I have ever experienced. The Spies vs Mercs comparison is for sure there and the feel of that is strong but it delivers so many more "What the gently caress happened here/there" moments that I cannot recommend it strongly enough if you like those kinds of experiences.

It's really one of the most inventive and incredibly fun games I've ever played, though for some reason it's goon cursed because every time it comes up the reception looks exactly like this: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3797095

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Wellllll poo poo, thanks for the heads up, never would have noticed that otherwise. Only place you can get One Way Heroics DRM-free! And until recently was the only place you could get Kero Blaster DRM-free too. Although it looks like the OWH downloads are 5 bugfix updates out of date on their store now...

If anyone owns One Way Heroics but never picked up the Plus DLC, I think this is an unused Steam key: NT***-8JFWJ-6RQW6 (the missing letters are what this is for. DownLoadable...)

I also have one of those keys from there (Steam gives me a "product already owned" error, so I *think* the key is still unused?):

E*CY8-9WDQM-RCKKA

The missing digit is twice the number of ways in these heroics.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I forgot what the extended edition of P5 was so I immediately went from "wait, it's on Steam!?" to "wait, what, is this a soccer spinoff" to "wait, what, is this a Dynasty Warriors spinoff" in under a minute. I... can't help but feel they're putting the cart before the horse, here, whatever it is.

Atlus is such a weird shitshow of a company. I was hoping with P4 going to Steam they’d expand access to their library but they’re doing it in a weird and half assed way. I feel like if P5S bombs as a result they’ll just think there’s no market for their stuff on PC.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Atlus is such a weird shitshow of a company. I was hoping with P4 going to Steam they’d expand access to their library but they’re doing it in a weird and half assed way. I feel like if P5S bombs as a result they’ll just think there’s no market for their stuff on PC.

It's utterly bizarre, they're treating it like a brand new game when it is, by all accounts, basically a sequel to Persona 5. I really hope they have stuff in the works but, well, Atlus can be a very weird, conservative company sometimes (at least their Japanese branch).

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sega is involved and they saw pretty quickly there's a truckload of money being made by older ps2/3 era rpg games being released on the PC. The Yakuza games alone are probably making enough profit to finance another truckload of PC remasters/releases.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I know some folks in thread were cautiously optimistic about D2R and hoping Activision wasn't going to gently caress it up all over again like they did with mismanaging WC3R, but its starting to look like they're back at it again.

https://twitter.com/MrRandem/status/1363572044277968896?s=20

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Xarbala posted:

I know some folks in thread were cautiously optimistic about D2R and hoping Activision wasn't going to gently caress it up all over again like they did with mismanaging WC3R, but its starting to look like they're back at it again.

https://twitter.com/MrRandem/status/1363572044277968896?s=20

To cut out whatever that guy is raging about and actually state the facts in the screenshots, basically if you log into battle.net on a VPN you are at risk of being unable to log in and if you follow up, temporarily banned. This is Blizzard's half-measure to cut down on botting, which has not cut down on botting.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah WoW is rear end deep in bots and has been for a bit and this is part of vague gestures at fixing it which just makes things moderately annoying for everyone else.

I'm uh, not sure they're gonna get much traction on "How dare you have to sign up for an account for cross-progression" though.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

thats dumb but also doesnt seem to be reaching the levels of "activision sabotaging the original version" that we were afraid of so :shrug:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Awesome! posted:

thats dumb but also doesnt seem to be reaching the levels of "activision sabotaging the original version" that we were afraid of so :shrug:

Yeah, sorry, I'm not seeing it.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

rt4 posted:

Cruelty Squad is a genuinely fun retro shooter that draws inspiration from games like Deus Ex with an aesthetic that's going to be utterly repellent to 90% of people. If you're interested in playing a weird rear end 90s Cyber fever dream retro shooter that lets you complete levels in a variety of ways its great fun but if you think you're going to be turned off by the aesthetic or the soundtrack you should probably go with your gut and skip it.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 23, 2021

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

punk rebel ecks posted:

HDI doesn't necessarily translate into purchasing power, specially for imports.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Did they ever fix Warcraft III? I was hyped for the remake, followed the trainwreck for a few weeks, then forgot about it entirely.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

No, they've completely abandoned it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Fargin Icehole posted:

Speaking of Stellaris, I tried to dabble in it again, but i don't seem to get whatever they did with the planet build mechanics. Because my save is from the earlier version, i need to start again and it's hard to be interested

This is wild because the patch that changed planets was around well over a year ago, and you recently tried to continue your save from before that? I'd say just start a new game because you surely cannot remember details of what you were up to, but you could also go to the betas tab and roll back to the version you were playing on if that old save is the one game you will continue.