Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquatic_ape_hypothesis

It's canon now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Just got a massive spoiler on my Pixel's news feed thanks to screenrant titling their articles with full on spoilers. Be careful out there friends

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just saw the Godzilla Singular Point poster and it is straight up Heisei era crazy.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TOHO_GODZILLA/status/1364007246489772034/photo/1

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 23, 2021

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Attack on Titanosaurus

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Arcsquad12 posted:

Just saw the Godzilla Singular Point poster and it is straight up Heisei era crazy.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TOHO_GODZILLA/status/1364007246489772034/photo/1

Just like i initially felt about Shin, that’s one loving goofy looking Godzilla.

Violator
May 15, 2003

RichterIX posted:

Just got a massive spoiler on my Pixel's news feed thanks to screenrant titling their articles with full on spoilers. Be careful out there friends

It’s big but something we kind of assumed so it’s not screamingly frustrating at least. This is always a rough time where you have to start being careful 1.5 months out. :(

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
March is going to be a great movie month

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I really dig that Singular Point poster

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Just like i initially felt about Shin, that’s one loving goofy looking Godzilla.
Reminds me of the dragon from Dragonball (and of course I'm guessing lots of similar mythological dragon imagery).

Mouth creepily open like a snake dislocating its jaw though, very odd.

e: also a weird amount of math formulas about the number 69??

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I am not sure what's going on here - so I'll reserve judgement for when I see it in motion.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

I am not sure what's going on here - so I'll reserve judgement for when I see it in motion.

"C'mon guysh, have you sheen my retainer anywhere? I can't loshe it, it'sh really expenshive, my mom will flip!"

Seriously though, it looks horrifying and I dig it.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Will the carryover of Shin Gojira through the rest of the Reiwa era end up being a hosed up mouth on Godzilla?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m more concerned at the tail to body ratio.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

some additional footage on these trailers (there’s two short ones back to back on the video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrtPhu8lS8w

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Lol I will squeal if Kong can actually speak, after the trailers are faking like they're just impressed by his sign language.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Bring back kaiju speech balloons you cowards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJMDyWH_ZmE

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Rerelease the entire series with a commentary track that's just Godzilla and Anguirus talking with their weird voices from the dub.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hey Angila!

Whaddaya want?

Something funny goin' on, you better check!

Oh yeah!

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy

Violator posted:

I was pretty impressed by War of the Gargantuas. I don't know if it's because the monsters are more human-like, but there were quite a few parts of the movie that were legitimately creepy. And several shots, like the first attached one where a man in a boat is looking down in the water and sees the monster for the first time, that were terrific in motion. Imagine looking down and seeing something standing there looking at you! A lot of good wide angles, too.

The climatic battle at the end between the monsters was interesting. It looked and felt like a lovers quarrel. They would argue, grab each other, hug, push one another, scream at each other. Push each around. When they got violent, it felt like some sort of gently caress fighting to determine who was supreme.

oh poo poo, I remember watching this when I was little. I'd completely forgotten about it but yeah, it had a creepy vibe and eating people made sense because Rampage had eating people.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Mantis42 posted:

Rerelease the entire series with a commentary track that's just Godzilla and Anguirus talking with their weird voices from the dub.

This was done as a joke for one of the early stateside releases of Gamera III, I believe; the "actor" playing Gamera doing a commentary track. To be honest it wasn't all that funny.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

New Dinosaur Jr album using a good ol friend.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Arcsquad12 posted:

Hey Angila!

Whaddaya want?

Something funny goin' on, you better check!

Oh yeah!

Oh thank God I didn't just imagine that

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1364770996939546627?s=20

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

RichterIX posted:

Violator posted:

It’s big but something we kind of assumed so it’s not screamingly frustrating at least. This is always a rough time where you have to start being careful 1.5 months out. :(

Haaaaa I'm pretty sure I just got hit with the same spoiler as well. If anyone else is curious then go to this twitter feed and scroll down to the post which starts with "Breaking: New official behind the scenes images of ...": https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Are there no reviews from test screenings and such? I’m reaching dangerous levels of hype and need to temper my expectations lest I be disappointed like I was with KOTM.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's a Godzilla movie. It's going to be a fun mess.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Haaaaa I'm pretty sure I just got hit with the same spoiler as well. If anyone else is curious then go to this twitter feed and scroll down to the post which starts with "Breaking: New official behind the scenes images of ...": https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet

Doh, I hadn’t seen that one. I was talking about APEX being revealed as an evil worldwide organization opposed to Monarch. Oh well, these are all things confirming things we all guessed.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Personally I have more faith in this than KOTM because of Adam Wingard, but I loved his Death Note and am real excited about his trajectory. I'm not super knowledgeable on the subject but KOTM felt likely way more studio-managed given they gave it to "some guy" to direct, and it was maybe more of a marketing "universe establishing" movie than anything else.

Martman fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 25, 2021

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
KOTM felt very much not studio managed to me, honestly. the director is a pretty obvious and outspoken Godzilla fan. now, you can argue whether or not more studio meddling would have been a good thing here, but KOTM certainly doesn't strike me as the sort of movie where people were frequently saying "no" to all the assorted ideas flying around.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I didn't know that about Dougherty being a big fan, so that's nice. I guess I felt like a lot of the big picture of the movie felt very... cobbled together, so maybe that was just more me complaining about it than having a specific point about the studios. But stuff like Charles Dance getting barely anything to do reminded me of Max Von Sydow being advertised so heavily for Star Wars TFA.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think with more studio involvement KOTM probably would've been even worse, because the one thing you can't argue with is that the movie has a ton of kaiju action in it. If the studio started tinkering with it I'd bet they'd have forced more of the human stuff into the movie and it would've dragged it down even more than it already does.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I can't tell whether the white male protagonistness of KOTM is because of studio push or because American culture is bankrupt. How can you tell where one ends and the other begins with the dude who brought us Krampus and X2?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah, the man was established to have a certain set of skills in the beginning who then goes on to have all the skills and knowledge.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Y’all fuckin really forgetting the man gave us the single greatest Halloween film of all time.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I guess I need to watch Krampus. I heard good things but never saw such enthusiasm!

hey wait that's a christmas movie! I guess I need to watch Trick 'r Treat I mean

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Oh yea for sure, Dougherty has a lifetime pass with me for Trick r Treat alone. Krampus is great too.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Martman posted:

I guess I need to watch Krampus. I heard good things but never saw such enthusiasm!

hey wait that's a christmas movie! I guess I need to watch Trick 'r Treat I mean

Krampus is the most by the numbers "comedy horror" in recent memory. I don't understand how people can be entertained by the hundreds of palette swapped horror movies like that one.

I doubt the other one approaches the level of quality that is Tales From the Hood.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Krampus is solid but not remarkable. Other than the fact that comedy-horror has such a high miss rate these days that anything which fully works is in some way noteworthy. Krampus is fun and enjoyable and has some cool effects and then you kinda forget about it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Krampus is the most by the numbers "comedy horror" in recent memory. I don't understand how people can be entertained by the hundreds of palette swapped horror movies like that one.

I doubt the other one approaches the level of quality that is Tales From the Hood.

What is being made that’s even remotely like it now.

Krampus is really good and like TrT nails the holiday on a visceral level, but it doesn’t hit the highs of Trick r Treat for me. Which is fine. TrT is way too important to me so that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Yeah, Krampus is excellent, Krampus himself in that film is one of my favourite monster designs of the last decade.